Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

AUM and AB3 combination...how you do and for what?

edited December 2018 in General App Discussion

Hi to all! It seams a lot of people combine AUM and AB3 for live performance. Now I ask myself why they do this and for what? Both Apps allow Midi routings and give you Audio output to an audio interface or to the headfone output of the iPad. Ok, the App switch panel of AB is great and make App switching more easy. But is this the only reason...I dont think so 😎

Do you combine AUM and AB3 and if yes how you do and for what?

I just want to unterstand the reason...maybe I can optimze my workflow 😀

Comments

• edited December 2018

With AB2, the biggest attractions to me have always been AB:Remote, State Saving and using AB as a 'full patch recall' for my entire setup. I've previously found a lot of stability in that setup for live performance. AB3 is a much more 'fully featured' app that provides the same underlying 'core' functionality and AB:MIDI is really lovely to use. AUM enhances this in all regards, and the State Saving implementation is FANTASTIC!

In the last year or so, I haven't considered the current state of AB:Remote usable (hopefully that'll be revised sometime) but State Saving is still a MASSIVE benefit. There are a select few live 'full screen' apps including Samplr which are permanent live fixtures and State Saving + the stability of hosting in AB is fantastic for these apps.

I do wish that there was a bit better integration with BM3 in the same way as there is with AUM -- loading an AB patch without having to initialise BM3 first would be wonderful, as it already is with AUM. It'd also be fantastic to have multiple audio outputs from BM3 and seamless AB:MIDI integration. Maybe some of this exists? Haven't tried it in a while.

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

I like to load everything I can into AudioBus. The things I get advantage from:

1. Preset saving is easy, and works not only for AU apps, but for those IAA apps that support state saving (unfortunately not all do).
    2. Switching between apps is simple, always available, and consistent. With IAA only, not all apps implement the task switcher, it’s not always easy to find, and not always on every screen of the all. The good old AB bar is always there.
    3. The AB bar has global play and stop controls that work for most apps to start everything at once and in sync. IAA is spotty at best at this.
    4. If apps support the AB bar well, then you can do many handy things in the app from wherever you are and at any time.
    5. All that can be done full-screen with AB Remote, on another decvice.
    6. Midi routing is clearer and more visible (to me. Maybe not to others)
    7. I love the ew ability to mute FX, control levels between them, and monitor levels on the audio screen.

Things that AUM adds, that AudioBus currently can’t do or can’t do as well:

1. Recording to audio files
    2. Routing to other tracks, sends, etc.
    3. Controlling AU parameters by midi where the app doesn’t have assigned or midi learnable cc’s
    4. Some AU apps are easier to work with in the way AUM handles resizing and stuff.
    5. Sometimes midi routing problems are a lot easier to figure out in AUM.

They’re like right arm and left arm to me. I wouldn’t want to give up either.

• @Lycaan said:
    Hi to all! It seams a lot of people combine AUM and AB3 for live performance. Now I ask myself why they do this and for what? Both Apps allow Midi routings and give you Audio output to an audio interface or to the headfone output of the iPad. Ok, the App switch panel of AB is great and make App switching more easy. But is this the only reason...I dont think so 😎

Do you combine AUM and AB3 and if yes how you do and for what?

I just want to unterstand the reason...maybe I can optimze my workflow 😀

USB represents hardware and Ableton coming in through interface and mixer.
    AB2 and use of AB remote to control Genome and LoopyHD

• edited December 2018

Interesting! thx for your answers!

the reason for my question is this problem: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30036/aum-rozetta-animoog-timing-problems-any-help#latest

I hope I will find a solution to avoid this problem. maybe a combination with Ab3 and AUM will fix it. I dont want to bann AUM completly because of the metronome and the clock counter. both are very helpful for me. maybe I will hoste all apps and AUs in AB and rout the audio outputs to AUM. If I host my Synths and the Rozeta AUs in AB the switch between standalone Apps are no problem...but then I miss the metronome, the counter and the midi learn for AUs and the recording feature in AUM...

• update: now I load any standalone-app in AB and route them to different channels in AUM. Audio Units I load direct into AUM. This works great without probs!