Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

The TC-Data Guide For Little Tiny Babies

Comments

• Hmmm...don't see it as an option anywhere in AUM. What am I missing?

@ExAsperis99 said:

2(a). Make sure it's in AUM and recording. Endless happy accident material available

• Buck Rogers? I'm gonna leave this right here...

• Best rock vocal line evah?

I love you in buckskin....

[Hungry for your love / Van Morrison]

• @oddSTAR said:
    Buck Rogers? I'm gonna leave this right here...

Everything was a double entendre in the 70s, and often just a single entendre. What a time to grow up.

@1P18 said:
    3. Go to the "Patch" page, tap and hold the "MIDI CC" section and delete it (babies don't like MIDI CC, too complicated).

I love MIDI CCs. I must be a toddler.

• @1P18 said:

@skiphunt said:

@1P18 said:

@skiphunt said:

@1P18 said:
    I'm no abductee. I'm friggin' Buck Rogers, bitch.

With that rainbow armband? Ain't no shame in a good ol' fashioned alien anal probin' Flash Gordon! LOL

So you're saying you know nothing of the show? Cool story. That's not a rainbow by the way.

Just messin' with ya dude. Looks like a rainbow to me. No, I've never seen the show. Might be slightly before my time and I don't recall ever catching it in syndication. Is that Lee Majors?

Big fan of TC-Data by the way. Though, until your post I'd only ever started with presets, then edited to taste. Hadn't tried building a simple one from scratch before. thx! :)

Buck Rogers was comically manly, in a late 70s kind of way. That was the joke I was trying to get across. Google Image and YouTube can provide more details.

"Comically manly" does comport with the scenario Skip is proposing. For the record.

And thanks for the hard work on this.

• Ah, see it now. Not "in" AUM but rather a midi source

@JC_vt said:
    Hmmm...don't see it as an option anywhere in AUM. What am I missing

• @1P18 said:
    Just made a breakthrough, and have started an outline for a bigger PDF guide. It ended up being not all that complicated in the end, it's just the manual uses some weird language to describe everything, and doesn't quite lay it out in an easy to understand manner. The light bulb finally went on for me though, and everything fell into place.

ETA on a PDF guide? I have no idea. Probably a few weeks, at least. Just a matter of when I'll have time.

And we’re still waiting :wink:

• @Kühl said:

@1P18 said:
    Just made a breakthrough, and have started an outline for a bigger PDF guide. It ended up being not all that complicated in the end, it's just the manual uses some weird language to describe everything, and doesn't quite lay it out in an easy to understand manner. The light bulb finally went on for me though, and everything fell into place.

ETA on a PDF guide? I have no idea. Probably a few weeks, at least. Just a matter of when I'll have time.

And we’re still waiting :wink:

You can’t see the banned user avatar?

• I have not picked this up yet but I'm wondering if you can dissect the presets in tc data to kinda see what is going on ? TC-11 is dope, I grabbed that a while back but just realised you can open a mini window while you're editing the patches to hear your changes as you make them instead of flipping back n forth lol

• edited March 2018

would be great to have little tiny baby guides for everything actually! Thank you!

• I love the app in theory, but I haven’t and I’ve yet to see/hear anyone produce anything with it, and obviously noone ever shares any presets or stories. (Please correct me if I’m wrong, I just know that despite how cool it is, I’ve never wanted to spend the time to program something deep with it vs. getting an interesting sound in another more efficient way.)

• I love the app, but I haven’t yet managed to make something like this:

I would love to have that patch... anyone?

• @Kühl said:
    I love the app, but I haven’t yet managed to make something like this:

This is my favourite iOS performance of the past few years. I sent a message over about getting the patch but didn't hear back.

Just found that post from 2016..

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/1587/more-apps-like-tc-11-exploring-the-touchscreen#Comment_203907

User here is @FRibeiro Hopefully he still has the patch and feels like sharing! ;)

• @SpookyZoo said:

@Kühl said:

This is my favourite iOS performance of the past few years. I sent a message over about getting the patch but didn't hear back.

Just found that post from 2016..

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/1587/more-apps-like-tc-11-exploring-the-touchscreen#Comment_203907

User here is @FRibeiro Hopefully he still has the patch and feels like sharing! ;)

I’ve just written to Da Man & asked for the patch & a masterclass.
    Let’s have patience & hope :)

• I emailed them about 10 months ago.
    No response.

If a Dev can't even be bothered answering an email - I end up considering it abandonware.

Patience?
    Hope?

• Any TC-DATA users out there? I've had no luck hearing from the dev and would love to get a discussion going about how to understand it a bit better.

I would love to figure out the settings so that I can set up 4 to 6 zones each of which sends out its own CC.

• edited January 2019

If you want several areas that emit different CCs on touch that's not covered by TC-Data, but can be easily achieved by any of the graphical midi control design apps.

TC isn't about surface design, but using motion events to drive several midi events (CCs among them) simultanously by distance, angle and time relations.
    When you add a CC you have to pick one (of whatever ID) and then you can assign actions to change the data value of that CC.
    But there's no such thing as a void CC, that gets it's ID from a table or any other event.
    (that would be one step beyond into meta programming)

The trick with TC Data is to get aquainted with the way of surface reactions to events.

Just pick a simple preset and remove everything but a note trigger.
    Then add 1 arbitrary CC and a single operation that changes it's value.
    Have a synth in the background to receive notes and that single CC.
    Now you can try how variations of motions and events alter the value of that single CC.

You'll soon notice you prefer certain actions - probably noone will ever use all if them ;)
    Then add more CCs, it will be much easier than to fiddle through complex trial and error scenarios.

• These went on sale Black Friday so the dev is at least semi conscious.

• @Telefunky said:
    If you want several areas that emit different CCs on touch that's not covered by TC-Data, but can be easily achieved by any of the graphical midi control design apps.

TC isn't about surface design, but using motion events to drive several midi events (CCs among them) simultanously by distance, angle and time relations.
    When you add a CC you have to pick one (of whatever ID) and then you can assign actions to change the data value of that CC.
    But there's no such thing as a void CC, that gets it's ID from a table or any other event.
    (that would be one step beyond into meta programming)

The trick with TC Data is to get aquainted with the way of surface reactions to events.

Just pick a simple preset and remove everything but a note trigger.
    Then add 1 arbitrary CC and a single operation that changes it's value.
    Have a synth in the background to receive notes and that single CC.
    Now you can try how variations of motions and events alter the value of that single CC.

You'll soon notice you prefer certain actions - probably noone will ever use all if them ;)
    Then add more CCs, it will be much easier than to fiddle through complex trial and error scenarios.

Are you sure that you can't use cleverly set up tables so that they are essentially only responsive to one portion of the screen?

• Just check it out yourself - you have to add CC as midi target/trigger and then the only action that can follow is altering CC x's value.
    You can't assign a midi object as a variable to table positions.
    Imo it's a feature of the app's architecture.

• @Telefunky said:
    Just check it out yourself - you have to add CC as midi target/trigger and then the only action that can follow is altering CC x's value.
    You can't assign a midi object as a variable to table positions.
    Imo it's a feature of the app's architecture.

You might be right, but I am still getting my head around the way that tables work as targets and the way that they can be chained together. It seems like a MIDI CC can be mapped to a table that maps x and y positions to the output value. It seems like there might be something there...but maybe not.

.... while I was writing this, I noticed the folder called "Multis". These seem to allow the screen to be divided into 2-4 zones each of which has its own TC-DATA patch. I am not seeing anything in the manual about setting these up from scratch.

Have you used multis?

• @espiegel123 There is a TC Data multi preset „Many CCs“ that offers 4 areas with independant CC output - mabe modify that one. Perhaps one can send several CCs per area depending on the actions performed ?

I didn“t find a button to change a ‚single‘ preset to multi, but one can add a new multi preset or copy an exisiting one.

• edited January 2019

@espiegel123 yes, I've used multis, but didn't look into them for the basic question if a CC's ID can be assigned someway.
    A choosen CC's value can be derived from table position and other actions.
    The Multi mentioned by @_ki is the closest to your intention and 4 CCs isn't too bad.
    My personal favourite is the Touch-Rotation Group, which allows fake jog wheel control (each rotation increases/decreases color intensity as a position indicator), similiar to the pots in iVCS3.
    You can still add other CC's to those 4 'fixed' ones depending on touch action.

• @Kühl said:

apps like tc 11 make the ipad for me

• Love that video too, the guy has skills. What I found difficult to play quickly on a screen is the lack of tactile feedback. As a sax player, I don’t use eyes at all to control my fingers, perhaps it’s easier for keyboardists and especially guirarists in that regard to transpose their technique to iPad playing?

• @Janosax : fwiw, guitar players and keyboard players also rely on tactile feedback and don't look at the keyboard or fretboard for orientation (except maybe beginners).

• @Telefunky said:
    @espiegel123 yes, I've used multis, but didn't look into them for the basic question if a CC's ID can be assigned someway.
    A choosen CC's value can be derived from table position and other actions.
    The Multi mentioned by @_ki is the closest to your intention and 4 CCs isn't too bad.
    My personal favourite is the Touch-Rotation Group, which allows fake jog wheel control (each rotation increases/decreases color intensity as a position indicator), similiar to the pots in iVCS3.
    You can still add other CC's to those 4 'fixed' ones depending on touch action.

I wish I had known about multis earlier -- I wish they were mentioned in the manual. It seems that you can drag any non-multi patch into a multi, which is very cool.

I am still trying to get my head around how chained tables work and to understand how the rotation works in a few patches.

Can someone tell me if this interpretation of the chained tables in Note Grid Guitar is correct:

• Note On values come from Table 2.
    • Table 2 takes the X-position of the touch (which is mapped to one of 6 values via the table)
    • Table 2 adds to its calculated value (0, 5, 10, 15, 19, 24) to a value derived from Table 1
    • Table 1 gets its value from the Y Position of where the touch starts

Thanks

• I have made the patch he’s using in the video, if anyone is interested, let me know.

• @Kühl said:
    I have made the patch he’s using in the video, if anyone is interested, let me know.

Resurrecting this thread. It’s too awesome to neglect.

The app was crashing when used with AB after the recent iOS update. The AB temporary fix seems to have fixed it.

And @Kühl if your still around, I’m interested in that patch, thank you very much.

I’m just starting to explore the options for Apple Pencil and will share patches in a week or two.