Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget 2 !

Comments

• Since when is it such a cluster restoring gadget......

• edited January 2019

It really was a chore installing Gadget with all the IAPs on the iPhone 8...

Once installed I deleted all the 'parent apps'(Module+IAPs, iM1+IAPs, iWaveStation+IAPs, Odyssei+IAPs, iMono/Poly+IAPs) to save some space...

I do wonder if iMS-20 and iPolysix will get a 'universal' treatment or if they will resort to using similar install procedure as iM1?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:
    Has Korg ever done anything with AUv3 on iOS? Of the major companies, they've best embraced the platform, putting out more serious iOS apps than anyone. But they ignore AUv3. Why? Any theories?

Because the Gadgets and Synths (iMS-20, iPolysix etc) all use BITMAPS for the backgrounds and they do not scale well, you need a scalable UI in order to do a decent AUv3.

EDIT: Thinking about it, this is probably the same reason why the Lecacy Collection remains a tiny UI these days....when it was originally released the resolutions were no where near as high as they are today, so at the time those bitmaps where actually quite large on screen.

I haven't seen this explanation before. That makes sense. I guess the question then is what resources it would require to make it scalable. Apparently, there's not much incentive for Korg to do it, and that probably explains why many successful iOS apps aren't updated with every feature users expect. There's a point where new features won't generate enough new sales. Gadget has evolved quite a bit throughout its history, but maybe nothing that took much work for Korg to implement?

• 6 days to february.......!

• @AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:
    Has Korg ever done anything with AUv3 on iOS? Of the major companies, they've best embraced the platform, putting out more serious iOS apps than anyone. But they ignore AUv3. Why? Any theories?

Because the Gadgets and Synths (iMS-20, iPolysix etc) all use BITMAPS for the backgrounds and they do not scale well, you need a scalable UI in order to do a decent AUv3.

EDIT: Thinking about it, this is probably the same reason why the Lecacy Collection remains a tiny UI these days....when it was originally released the resolutions were no where near as high as they are today, so at the time those bitmaps where actually quite large on screen.

mh ... the Gadgets are already more or less the size of a regular AUv3 and they scale up nicely on the larger iPads so I don‘t think the UI is the problem. It must be something else that Korg has problems implementing.

• @nick said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:

mh ... the Gadgets are already more or less the size of a regular AUv3 and they scale up nicely on the larger iPads so I don‘t think the UI is the problem. It must be something else that Korg has problems implementing.

They probably have code that is dependent on the main Gadget system. So they'd need to create three versions of each product - standalone, Gadget and AU. On the plus side they'd open a whole new market for the AU's, and they could also sell them as IAP's to existing customers.

• @MonzoPro said:

@nick said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:

They probably have code that is dependent on the main Gadget system. So they'd need to create three versions of each product - standalone, Gadget and AU. On the plus side they'd open a whole new market for the AU's, and they could also sell them as IAP's to existing customers.

They wouldn’t need to make standalone versions, just Gadget and AU.

What I find most frustrating about Korg is that they’ve treated their Mac customers better than their iOS ones. The Mac customers get more features/flexibility for less money.

• Couldn’t Korg make Gadget work a bit like Rozeta where Gadget is the umbrella app but each gadget can be used as an individual plugin?

• @Beathoven said:

@MonzoPro said:

@nick said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:

What I find most frustrating about Korg is that they’ve treated their Mac customers better than their iOS ones. The Mac customers get more features/flexibility for less money.

That might depend on the sales figures. If they sell a shed load of the desktop versions then they can afford to spend more on development for that platform.

• @Jocphone said:

@Beathoven said:

@MonzoPro said:

@nick said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:

That might depend on the sales figures. If they sell a shed load of the desktop versions then they can afford to spend more on development for that platform.

They said it’s a paid update for Mac and free for iOS.

• I think they might release them as AUs on iOS one day, but not for a while. They are doing this on Windows, as plugins only, so no reason why they won't on iOS.

When it comes to profits, I think it's a bit more complicated with a big company like Korg and resources. A lot of new (and young) users will be introduced to the Korg brand through iOS and would go on to purchase desktop apps of theirs and also hardware. So it becomes just as much about brand awareness, so I'm sure they consider their iOS apps as much as a part of advertising investment maybe more than profit.

I think the recent Monopoly/iMono-poly brand tie-in promotion shows their attitude to iOS.
    Can't see them doing this on desktop.

• @stormywaterz said:

@Jocphone said:

@Beathoven said:

@MonzoPro said:

@nick said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:

They said it’s a paid update for Mac and free for iOS.

Because the new synths are included on the Mac and need to be purchased separately on iOS.

• @Carnbot said:
    I think they might release them as AUs on iOS one day, but not for a while. They are doing this on Windows, as plugins only, so no reason why they won't on iOS.

When it comes to profits, I think it's a bit more complicated with a big company like Korg and resources. A lot of new (and young) users will be introduced to the Korg brand through iOS and would go on to purchase desktop apps of theirs and also hardware. So it becomes just as much about brand awareness, so I'm sure they consider their iOS apps as much as a part of advertising investment maybe more than profit.

I think the recent Monopoly/iMono-poly brand tie-in promotion shows their attitude to iOS.

I think they were actually muscled into doing that Monopoly promo over a trademark issue. True rumour I just made up.

• @davis_korgrd it is time for Korg synths to bem> @AudioGus said:

@Carnbot said:
    I think they might release them as AUs on iOS one day, but not for a while. They are doing this on Windows, as plugins only, so no reason why they won't on iOS.

I think they were actually muscled into doing that Monopoly promo over a trademark issue. True rumour I just made up.

Best thing they ever did... Random dice 🎲 🎲!!!

😉

• @gusgranite said:
    @davis_korgrd it is time for Korg synths to bem> @AudioGus said:

@Carnbot said:

Best thing they ever did... Random dice 🎲 🎲!!!

😉

Just a question on this... there’s no way of getting those random dice into the Gadget version (Montpellier) is there? That would be great.

• @Beathoven said:

@MonzoPro said:

@nick said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:

I don't know why Korg doesn't implement AUv3, but it makes no sense that there's anything sinister about it, or that they're dissing iOS users. Korg is a big player on the platform. They've been providing free updates for years, and want users buying more IAP's. Gadget started on iOS, not the Mac. The biggest selling point for the Mac version is its cross-platform workflow with iOS. Any difference in the Mac and iOS versions must have to do with different operating systems and how apps are sold. Every company wants to please their customers, so Korg must have some rationale for what they're doing.

• @lovadamusic said:

@Beathoven said:

@MonzoPro said:

@nick said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:

I don't know why Korg doesn't implement AUv3, but it makes no sense that there's anything sinister about it, or that they're dissing iOS users. Korg is a big player on the platform. They've been providing free updates for years, and want users buying more IAP's. Gadget started on iOS, not the Mac. The biggest selling point for the Mac version is its cross-platform workflow with iOS. Any difference in the Mac and iOS versions must have to do with different operating systems and how apps are sold. Every company wants to please their customers, so Korg must have some rationale for what they're doing.

I’m sure there’s a rationale, and that’s up to them. I’ve always been a Korg fan and I wish them well but the sounds, creative flair and energetic vision being demonstrated in Digital D1 have me looking in that direction for AUv3. I can see all kinds of high quality AUv3 gadgets coming out of that organization in the future.

• @lovadamusic said:

@Beathoven said:

@MonzoPro said:

@nick said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:

The reason is simple, it is a weighty task to convert apps to AUv3. The Gadget environment was created pre-AUv3 and cleverly gives a lot of bang per-CPU cycle buck. It is also a super stable environment. Think of how many Gadgets there are and how long it has taken a few developers to convert a single app to AUv3.

• I’ll pay what ever they want if they just add an au gadget and I’m all in!!! That’s all I want lol and a proper sampler that can rival bm3 with file management.

That would be the game changer on iOS

• @stormywaterz said:
    I’ll pay what ever they want if they just add an au gadget and I’m all in!!! That’s all I want lol and a proper sampler that can rival bm3 with file management.

That would be the game changer on iOS

+1

And AU effects.

And a proper clip/scene launch.

Oh, and that wavetable synth from Electribe Wave as a gadget. :)

• If AU ain’t happening now, it aint ever gonna happen, no matter how much it gets mentioned. The whole discussion about it is getting old.

• @Rich303 said:
    If AU ain’t happening now, it aint ever gonna happen, no matter how much it gets mentioned. The whole discussion about it is getting old.

Maybe, maybe not?.... They did say that about Windows Version.. & now it’s happening, thank goodness... I mean Nintendo Switch got Gadget before Windows.... I think they will, but once Gadget is on all format of devices... Remeber, that it was iOS, then Mac Desktop.. Then it wasn’t going to be released anyway else... Then Nintendo came out of the blue... Now Windows came out of the blue... I respect what Korg have done... Its a shame Roland didn’t go this same way with there VST, like Korg has... Senseible move to me really... ;)

• While these gadgets are great musically
    I think korgs implementation still breathes “stand alone” all over

Its not just the fact its only an iaa and AUv3..

There is more things, like for instance iWavestation not supporting abbleton link

I would love to buy korg module, for the Ivory piano’s
    But not being able to load more then one instance of it would be a killer

And its korg, they are as stubborn as.....
    Played korg hardware for two decades, and they never seem to listen to customers wishes..

• I think their iOS strategy could be summed up with two words: ‘good enough’. That’s not to diss their apps which are obviously amazing, but aside from bug fixing obvious issues, once an app is out it’s considered finished, and they move on to the next one. Rarely are new features or connectivity added.

The downside is older apps feel a bit outdated and unloved, the upside is we get lots of new shiny things to buy.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I think their iOS strategy could be summed up with two words: ‘good enough’. That’s not to diss their apps which are obviously amazing, but aside from bug fixing obvious issues, once an app is out it’s considered finished, and they move on to the next one. Rarely are new features or connectivity added.

The downside is older apps feel a bit outdated and unloved, the upside is we get lots of new shiny things to buy.

True- I have hoped for a long time that they would add marker automation to Abu Dhabi- but it will never happen ☹️

• @robosardine said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I think their iOS strategy could be summed up with two words: ‘good enough’. That’s not to diss their apps which are obviously amazing, but aside from bug fixing obvious issues, once an app is out it’s considered finished, and they move on to the next one. Rarely are new features or connectivity added.

True- I have hoped for a long time that they would add marker automation to Abu Dhabi- but it will never happen ☹️

Vancouver has marker automation though

• @LucidMusicInc said:

@robosardine said:

@MonzoPro said:

Vancouver has marker automation though

I had forgotten about that - though it’s maybe lacking a bit in the effects department in comparison. But I must admit I have almost completely neglected it since first getting it- I think maybe due to a lack of patience, talent and a few other dubious attributes 🧐.
    I think I’ll get stuck in about it and see where I can get with it. Cheers.

• So wait, just to recap... no other teasers really, nothing at NAMM, etc?

• @espiegel123 said:

@lovadamusic said:

@Beathoven said:

@MonzoPro said:

@nick said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:

The reason is simple, it is a weighty task to convert apps to AUv3. The Gadget environment was created pre-AUv3 and cleverly gives a lot of bang per-CPU cycle buck. It is also a super stable environment. Think of how many Gadgets there are and how long it has taken a few developers to convert a single app to AUv3.

I've always figured performance and reliability of Gadget on iOS is the main determining factor in Korg's choices of what or what not to implement. It goes beyond Gadget, though. They have newer apps that could be AUv3 if they wanted. All the Gadgets work as plug-ins on the Mac. So why does Korg avoid AUv3 on iOS? It seems some users take it personally, like Korg is sticking it to them or something. I've yet to read an explanation that makes actual sense.

• @lovadamusic: I think you probably don't realize the size of the endeavor to convert apps that were designed pre-AUv3. And you may imagine that there is a lot more money to be earned by converting them to AUv3 than there is. It is highly unlikely that there is anything nefarious going on here.

They probably have in place a good workflow and expertise that pre-dates AUv3. They probably have figured out how to get things done a particular way and aren't inclined to rock the boat.

If you've got programmers that have an efficient workflow and money is tight (remember iOS music apps don't generate tons of money), you probably are inclined to to be careful about having your engineers spend time learning a new technology and rearchitecting things that work well when they could be making new apps.