Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

It's raining modulars! (Teenage Engineering no less)

2»

Comments

• @kobamoto said:
    Already completely Sold Out!

The most interesting model 400 😢.

• The American Apparel of synth makers

• @recccp said:

@McDtracy said:
    Are any of these Modulars controlled via AU standard interfaces on IOS? Insert the AU and control with ApeMatrix for example using LFO's, etc. IOS GUI in DAW's, etc.

If not... maybe a developer could pick one and write the AU interface code. Do you need to ask the vendor for permission?
    I would think you would just adapt to the vendors API.

Do any of these Modulars have a documented API? This might make a good Swift project for a wanna be coder using AudioKit to handle the tough details in IOS especially when the AudioKit AU code ships this year.

That way we could have Modulars just become additional tools we can use with our IOS DAWs like the Model D AU App..

Modulars controlled by C(ontrol)V(oltages) and Trigger/Gate signals. CVs are used for continuous controls (notes, velocity, modulation). There are midi to cv interfaces available (eurorack, standalone) to control modulars via midi, so you can control your modular from iPad.
    There are also DC coupled audio interfaces (most MOTU stuff) that can output CV signals directly. As far as I know there are no iPad apps that can generate CV signals (maybe Audulus will at some point).

Audulus already does. Also, there’s zMors modular. But any audio signal can be used for modulation....

MIDI to CV is a lot easier, but you’re not going to have the resolution (7 bit, non-audio rate) that you could with CV.

I'm not a programmer, but I don't think it's about API.
    All you need is an interface that can output high enough voltage and an app that can instruct it to do so.

You are correct. CV and audio are just voltages, however, Eurorack uses a larger voltage range than typically used in “line level” audio. And because CV can have constant offsets and run at very slow rates, the outputs need to be DC coupled, as you mentioned (MOTU, Expert Sleepers, Universal Audio, etc.).

• Moving on from TE, has anyone seen the PLASMA DRIVE distortion from ericasynths.lv IT IS LITERALLY THE GOD OF DISTORTION
    https://www.ericasynths.lv/news/plasma-drive/

• @ashen_hand said:
    Moving on from TE, has anyone seen the PLASMA DRIVE distortion from ericasynths.lv IT IS LITERALLY THE GOD OF DISTORTION
    https://www.ericasynths.lv/news/plasma-drive/

Judging by the pedal version they put out last year, it will cost $300 at least and sounds no better than a $20 Chinese fuzz box.

• @aplourde said:

@recccp said:

@McDtracy said:
    Are any of these Modulars controlled via AU standard interfaces on IOS? Insert the AU and control with ApeMatrix for example using LFO's, etc. IOS GUI in DAW's, etc.

If not... maybe a developer could pick one and write the AU interface code. Do you need to ask the vendor for permission?

Do any of these Modulars have a documented API? This might make a good Swift project for a wanna be coder using AudioKit to handle the tough details in IOS especially when the AudioKit AU code ships this year.

That way we could have Modulars just become additional tools we can use with our IOS DAWs like the Model D AU App..

Modulars controlled by C(ontrol)V(oltages) and Trigger/Gate signals. CVs are used for continuous controls (notes, velocity, modulation). There are midi to cv interfaces available (eurorack, standalone) to control modulars via midi, so you can control your modular from iPad.
    There are also DC coupled audio interfaces (most MOTU stuff) that can output CV signals directly. As far as I know there are no iPad apps that can generate CV signals (maybe Audulus will at some point).

Audulus already does. Also, there’s zMors modular. But any audio signal can be used for modulation....

MIDI to CV is a lot easier, but you’re not going to have the resolution (7 bit, non-audio rate) that you could with CV.

All you need is an interface that can output high enough voltage and an app that can instruct it to do so.

You are correct. CV and audio are just voltages, however, Eurorack uses a larger voltage range than typically used in “line level” audio. And because CV can have constant offsets and run at very slow rates, the outputs need to be DC coupled, as you mentioned (MOTU, Expert Sleepers, Universal Audio, etc.).

Thanks for correction.
    So, with say motu as interface you can calibrate audulus to track an osc across the whole range properly?

• Judging by the pedal version they put out last year, it will cost $300 at least and sounds no better than a $20 Chinese fuzz box.

Your polar opposite snark cancels my enthusiasm sir, I rest in pads.

• @recccp said:

@aplourde said:

@recccp said:

@McDtracy said:

Thanks for correction.
    So, with say motu as interface you can calibrate audulus to track an osc across the whole range properly?

Well, that depends on what you mean by “whole range” ;)

First, for iOS, only some of the more recent MOTU interfaces are Class Compliant (UltraLite mk4, MicroBook IIc, and most of the AVB models. The more common older models - 828 prior to the es, Ultralite prior to mk4, Audio Express, Traveler, etc - are not)

Second, the full Eurorack voltage range is +- 12V. Most audio interfaces won’t give you that full voltage range, typically, half that, maybe less. Here’s a page showing max voltages for the various MOTU interfaces: http://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/testing-analog-outputs-for-control-voltage-compatibility
    Now, while +- 12V is the full possible range in Eurorack (based on the power rails) most bipolar controls are scaled +-5V (as that is the voltage range for audio). Unipolar controls however could be 0 to +8V or even +10V.
    Of course, pitch controls are a bit harder to pin down. The 1V per octave standard is a relational standard and doesn’t define absolute values.
    There are 10.5 octaves in the MIDI spec which would correspond to 10.5V. That 10.5 octave range goes from 8Hz to 12.5kHz, so 10V would comfortably fit the range of most VCOs (and typically VCOs would have a smaller range still and octave or range switches).
    But what those volts correspond to varies per manufacturer and device (when considering 261.6 Hz for Middle C). See here: https://learningmodular.com/matching-octaves-in-your-modular/
    So, a DC coupled interface that could output +-5V (10V range) might be able to track a 10 octave spread on a VCO, but it is dependent on exactly which VCO you’re using.

Finally, there are the questions of ease of use and precision.
    Audulus scales controls from 0 to 1. If your interface outputs a max of 5.7V being able to get accurate voltages would involve constant mental calculations (“I want 3V, so I need the knob at 0.526”). If you really want to do CV with an iPad you should consider the Expert Sleepers ES-8 as it’s a Class Compliant interface that outputs +-10V (so every 0.1 on a knob in Audulus is 1V).

And for non-digitally controlled modules, accurate scaling over the full range could be hard. Expert Sleepers’ Silent Way (a plug-in suite for CV control) has a calibration plugin that sends voltage sweeps and analyzes pitch to ensure accurate tracking over the full voltage range. Without this calibration, tracking could be wonky.

All of this is to say that for accurate pitch control I’d recommend a MIDI to CV converter (Expert Sleepers [again] FH-2 is a Class Compliant MIDI to CV interface that includes the calibration function.). CV from Audulus or zMors is best for modulation when you want to go audio rate or reeaally slow where you might hear steps with MIDI’s 7 bit resolution.

• edited January 2019

@ashen_hand said:

Judging by the pedal version they put out last year, it will cost $300 at least and sounds no better than a $20 Chinese fuzz box.

Your polar opposite snark cancels my enthusiasm sir, I rest in pads.

@3:46 the lightning sets fire to a lead arp and the enthusiasm returns. I will say that what it does to drums is muddy treaded ground, kinda sounds like the famous "RAT&BitCrusher" chain to me. NAMM is such a sucky marketing hammer on us gearheads, I think unplugging for a few weeks might improve my lifestyle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=245&v=Z4pMhM27Am8

• edited January 2019

@Jocphone said:

Sure would like to hear more of this. Looks like they've struck lightning in a bottle. Love how a small company can come in and really make a splash.

• Ok - I'm off the fence on the Volca and officially GASing for the 400 here. This would be the perfect addition to my studio.

• @Daveypoo said:
    Ok - I'm off the fence on the Volca and officially GASing for the 400 here. This would be the perfect addition to my studio.

As tempting as this looks ... I'm still gas'ing for the Volca. Who am I kidding I want both, and then who am I kidding again I'm not buying anything until I get it used. hehehe

Good luck @Daveypoo and we all look forward to your review. Combine the yellow one with the next cheese episode ... it looks like swiss cheese!

• T.E. stated the modules are smaller, you’ll need an adapter bracket for them to fit standard euroracks.

I was exited about these for two seconds. The 16 seems like the best bit.

I wish they’d bring back the op1.

• Sucks, but, they are doing the right thing by customers I think. 10% discount and fast track for the other system is something they didn't need to do really... and honestly, better off not putting out busted hardware and getting it right.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited February 2019
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I like the 400. But what about those knobs.
    How do they feel and what would be the mod options for them? (I know they are LEGO compatible but not sure if this is a great thing)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.