Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget 2 !

Comments

• @Oblique said:
    I'm mildly annoyed and pleased in equal measure! After waiting for an eternity for iMS20 to get any kind of sync, I bought the MS20 Legacy plugin a couple of weeks ago, and it runs terribly in Logic Pro X. Lots of crashes freezes etc. It also sounds different to the iPad version, (as in not as good). The filters sound a bit weedy. So I've asked Korg for a refund. Not sure if they issue refunds for software. I'm excited about Gadget V2 though, I'll definitely buy the upgrade for Mac if it's reasonably priced. I use the plugin collection all the time in Maschine MK3.

Already paid a huge sum for Mac version and now they want more as in a Paid upgrade. Won’t update Mac until they decide to update the iOS iaps for it. The money already invested in korg is crazy compared to other daws.

• They really ought to make all Gadgets available as AUv3 when you have Gadget installed, including the gadget version of stand-alone synths.

While users of ARP ODYSSEi may rather want the full version as AUv3 rather than Lexington, it would still be better than it is now (where theres only IAA versions), and it would incentivise anyone not happy with the Gadget Sequencer to still purchase Gadget, just for the plugins, thereby increasing their potential customer base.

At the same time existing Gadget users would also be happy, so it would be a WIN/WIN situation - and since they already make the plugins available as AU on Macand soon PC it would be great for users going between Cubasis and Cubase.

• @Peter321 said:
    They really ought to make all Gadgets available as AUv3 when you have Gadget installed, including the gadget version of stand-alone synths.

While users of ARP ODYSSEi may rather want the full version as AUv3 rather than Lexington, it would still be better than it is now (where theres only IAA versions), and it would incentivise anyone not happy with the Gadget Sequencer to still purchase Gadget, just for the plugins, thereby increasing their potential customer base.

At the same time existing Gadget users would also be happy, so it would be a WIN/WIN situation - and since they already make the plugins available as AU on Macand soon PC it would be great for users going between Cubasis and Cubase.

+1

• @MonzoPro said:

@Peter321 said:
    They really ought to make all Gadgets available as AUv3 when you have Gadget installed, including the gadget version of stand-alone synths.

+1

Agreed. And they wouldn't have to redesign all the guis, the Gadget ones would already work great.

• Be nice if they updated the MIDI functionality to iPolySix as a result but I wont be holding my breath

• edited January 2019

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Peter321 said:

+1

Agreed. And they wouldn't have to redesign all the guis, the Gadget ones would already work great.

It's a bit strange the way iOS is treated as the poor cousin - aside from the desktop version working out cheaper overall, it also has the benefit of the Gadgets doubling up as plug-ins. I've tried them on a friends Mac and they work brilliantly, really nice to use, and they would make perfect AU's. Instead of chasing new Gadgets, I'd rather they update the one's they have already first, to make them more flexible for those of us that have shovelled barrowloads of cash at them. Customer satisfaction and all that.

• @MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Peter321 said:

+1

It's a bit strange the way iOS is treated as the poor cousin - aside from the desktop version working out cheaper overall, it also has the benefit of the Gadgets doubling up as plug-ins. I've tried them on a friends Mac and they work brilliantly, really nice to use, and they would make perfect AU's. Instead of chasing new Gadgets, I'd rather they update the one's they have already first, to make them more flexible for those of us that have shovelled barrowloads of cash at them. Customer satisfaction and all that.

Yeah I would carry on buying new Gadgets if they were also AUs, it makes sense in the long run for them. New users can use them in Gadget, more advanced users like us can choose to use them in different hosts. Everyone is happy :)

• @Carnbot said:

Yeah I would carry on buying new Gadgets if they were also AUs, it makes sense in the long run for them. New users can use them in Gadget, more advanced users like us can choose to use them in different hosts. Everyone is happy :)

THIS! (But wont happen)

• @Peter321 said:

Lips. Ears. God. etc.

• 7 days to february.......!

• @marcuspresident said:
    7 days to february.......!

35 to the end of february :)

• Still no Screenshots...

• @Doc_T said:
    Still no Screenshots...

Yeah a little teaser to whet the appetite would be nice, like especially of the main screen / sequencer. New gadgets is great but frankly I'm more interested in workflow improvements.

• edited January 2019

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Carnbot said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Peter321 said:

+1

I cut bait in this one 🙉 Korg AU on iOS would have at least been hinted at by now. But I think AudioKit will eventually fill the gap here.

• Happy so far. There's something for nearly everyone. For me: Minilogue XD (for sure), Micro Freak (maybe), Omnisphere 2.6 (already user)

• Has Korg ever done anything with AUv3 on iOS? Of the major companies, they've best embraced the platform, putting out more serious iOS apps than anyone. But they ignore AUv3. Why? Any theories?

• @lovadamusic said:
    Has Korg ever done anything with AUv3 on iOS? Of the major companies, they've best embraced the platform, putting out more serious iOS apps than anyone. But they ignore AUv3. Why? Any theories?

Only conspiracy theories... >:)

• Someone must be at NAMM'19 and be able to provide some candid shots of Gadget 2 in action no?

• edited January 2019

@lovadamusic said:
    Has Korg ever done anything with AUv3 on iOS? Of the major companies, they've best embraced the platform, putting out more serious iOS apps than anyone. But they ignore AUv3. Why? Any theories?

Because the Gadgets and Synths (iMS-20, iPolysix etc) all use BITMAPS for the backgrounds and they do not scale well, you need a scalable UI in order to do a decent AUv3.

EDIT: Thinking about it, this is probably the same reason why the Lecacy Collection remains a tiny UI these days....when it was originally released the resolutions were no where near as high as they are today, so at the time those bitmaps where actually quite large on screen.

• @Samu said:
    Someone must be at NAMM'19 and be able to provide some candid shots of Gadget 2 in action no?

Yes, I also wonder why there is no more info from KORG now that NAMM 2019 is well underway?

• @AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:

Because the Gadgets and Synths (iMS-20, iPolysix etc) all use BITMAPS for the backgrounds and they do not scale well, you need a scalable UI in order to do a decent AUv3.

EDIT: Thinking about it, this is probably the same reason why the Lecacy Collection remains a tiny UI these days....when it was originally released the resolutions were no where near as high as they are today, so at the time those bitmaps where actually quite large on screen.

You’d think with the resources they have, they’d sorted this by now. I can’t believe a big company like Korg would still be selling the Legacy Collection, looking like it is. Not much of a legacy.

• It might just be some sort of sales tactics to create a bit of hype in order that people put money aside to make the purchase- and therefore don’t spend it on other things announced at NAMM 19. This is maybe why they haven’t officially launched it at NAMM- it’s not as ready as is made out?
    February is just around the corner- if it was coming out then surely there would have at least have a poster up at their stall.
    I don’t think I’ll be moving many chips on to early February.

@Samu said:
    Someone must be at NAMM'19 and be able to provide some candid shots of Gadget 2 in action no?

Yes, I also wonder why there is no more info from KORG now that NAMM 2019 is well underway?

• Gadget mystery for me

I get excited

I insta buy

I don't actually use it much ....

except phone at the gym........

I lied.

I really only use the Module sounds or the sample gadgets for my stuff.

I need more open access to that app.

Always feels prohibitive getting things in and out.

We shall see when the Reason Korg .......dare I say GrooveBox apps evolve and what comes of each.

Same and different but Reason and Groovebox interest me to see who came first.......or who the dev worked for first in reality.......

• @MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:

You’d think with the resources they have, they’d sorted this by now. I can’t believe a big company like Korg would still be selling the Legacy Collection, looking like it is. Not much of a legacy.

A large company does not mean endless resources. You probably way overestimate the resources that can sensibly be thrown at projects that generate only modest revenue.

Take a look at the numbers that Matthew Fecher of AudioKit Pro has shared on a number of occasions, and you will realize that iOS development is not something that companies can throw a lot of money at and still make any kind of profit.

A big company -- since it needs to pay employees (unlike a developer who works as a labor of love) -- will often have a harder time justifying resources.

• @espiegel123 said:

@MonzoPro said:

@AndyPlankton said:

@lovadamusic said:

A large company does not mean endless resources. You probably way overestimate the resources that can sensibly be thrown at projects that generate only modest revenue.

Take a look at the numbers that Matthew Fecher of AudioKit Pro has shared on a number of occasions, and you will realize that iOS development is not something that companies can throw a lot of money at and still make any kind of profit.

A big company -- since it needs to pay employees (unlike a developer who works as a labor of love) -- will often have a harder time justifying resources.

This is a good point, and probably explains why a lot of companies first forays into iOS were outsourced and not done in-house.
    We are seeing more companies with dedicated iOS dev teams now, but those teams are small in comparison to their desktop counterparts, and I wouldn't expect that to change until they can generate enough revenue to cover the cost of more full time employees and still return a profit.
    All of this adds up to why the more well known companies are far more targeted with their apps and fixes, they will have a budget, and be expected to generate a certain level of revenue off of that budget.

• edited January 2019

@espiegel123 said:

It's the old chicken and egg scenario - "we're not selling enough of Product X, so we can't justify spending more money on it", yet potential customers would argue "I won't buy Product X because it hasn't been updated".

I've worked for several of the biggest corporations, and believe me they can find resources when they need to. The issue with corporates is they're run by accountants and shareholders, who don't like spending money, even when it's argued that it will be an investment.

I've just added a user-friendly shopping cart system to a clients website, replacing their awful, difficult to use, existing one. My contact with the company has been arguing with his board of directors for years to get it updated, but their arguement was 'no-one buys anything from the website, so it's not worth updating'. Had an email from him this morning saying they're delighted with the new system, and they've had more orders in the last two days than the previous 5 years put together - and the profits from those sales have already paid for the update.

Chicken and egg. If I was design lead at Korg then I'd be giving the directors hell about it.

• @MonzoPro : there is no evidence to suggest that throwing more resources at Gadget would increase revenue. It isn't really a chicken and egg problem. Experience at a big company serving a different market (or same market at a different time) isn't relevant.

Seriously, go back and read Matthew's posts. The market is not big. Korg throwing money at it won't make it bigger. It is currently an awkward time for iOS audio developers. I imagine big devs are not turning profits on iOS and are treating the work as an investment should the market explode when tablets are genuine competitors of desktops.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @MonzoPro : there is no evidence to suggest that throwing more resources at Gadget would increase revenue. It isn't really a chicken and egg problem. Experience at a big company serving a different market (or same market at a different time) isn't relevant.

Seriously, go back and read Matthew's posts.

Go back and read my post that you've responded to - I'm referring to the Legacy Collection ;)

• Hell YES. Not addressing usability issues (which includes satisfaction, or even delight, along with other aspects) issues, like a tiny old UI, is just leaving money on the table. I mean, how hard is it to implement tapping on a knob to return it to default? Not very, but it's still time (and therefore money) to do so.

That said, I suspect iOS is still small enough of a market, and KORG successful enough on it, that there's not a lot of broad pressure or incentive to go AUv3. They have a nice walled garden going - and you can still use IAA for their bigger synths. After all, we keep buying Gadgets! I know I do. And will.

• Wonder if they’re presenting Gadget version 2 at NAMM. Found this vid with Gadget in the back. Could just be the current version.