Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Synclavier ios app! (Now with the right link)

edit Posted the wrong link. D’oh!

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2019/01/02/new-apps-turn-your-iphone-or-ipad-into-a-synclavier/

Some what weirdly however they seem to be modelling the old UI rather than taking advantage of the cool things Arturia did to make it more playable....

Price TBA but should arrive later this month apparently

Comments

• edited January 2019

They just keep coming, coming and coming :confused:

• Says 23rd Jan. pricing TBC.

• Doug shows off the Arturia one to give you a idea of what it might sound like!

• edited January 2019

Yeah. I’ve got the Arturia one. Is ace. One of those synths that’s on a lot of records I liked back in the day - Laurie Anderson had one :-). Seemed so unobtainable so nice to play with it. What is good about the Arturia version though is it has quite a good UI for editing sounds. The FM engine makes the DX7 look very simple

Zappa used to write his classical stuff on one too - back before he found people who could play that stuff

• Better start saving now for this one...

• don't be too much hyped, from that ^^^ description it looks it's just controller app for this hw:

http://www.synclavier.com/synclavier3/introduction.html

• @dendy said:
    don't be too much hyped, from that ^^^ description it looks it's just controller app for this hw:

Exactly. It's been out for a while.

• @rs2000 said:

@dendy said:
    don't be too much hyped, from that ^^^ description it looks it's just controller app for this hw:

The link in the OP describes a new app, available on 23rd January.

• @Beathoven said:

@rs2000 said:

@dendy said:

The link in the OP describes a new app, available on 23rd January.

Wow, let's hope for the best 👍🏼

• aah ok, thanks for correcting !

• But from the description it looks like more a light version rather than something like the Arturia Synclavier V.

„Synclavier Go! (for iPad) and Synclavier Pocket! (for iPhone and iPod Touch) re-create the original Synclavier II FM Synthesis engine, with a touch-screen interface inspired by the original hardware. The Synclavier DSP Engine – used by Arturia in its Synclavier V product line – is a faithful recreation of the FM- and Additive-Synthesis functions of the original instrument.“

• The original synclaiver had sampling and disk recording in as well - I think the feeling when they released the software version was that that aspect had been long superseded by other things

• @pagefall said:
    The original synclaiver had sampling and disk recording in as well - I think the feeling when they released the software version was that that aspect had been long superseded by other things

If you've purchased it, yes.
    The really unique element however is its very own way of doing FM synthesis which is unlike what you can find in Yamaha FM products and their derivatives.

• Now confirmed, launch date 23rd January $19.99 USD to 31st January.

• edited January 2019

Here's a YouTube demo of the new app - pre-ordered myself, can't wait to check it out!

• OMG - Could the interface look any more dated/ugly?

• Sounded terrible back then. Sounds terrible now.

• 23rd is nearly here :) oh, and this from their new look website...

Will you be adding sampling to Go!?
    An in-app purchase is in the pipeline that will provide poly-sampling functionality.

• Live in the U.K. AppStore - try the free pocket version :)

• Heaven, I’m in heaven...
    Heaven is a place on earth 🌏 thanks Belinda

• I absolutely hate the interface, the whole shit is uglier than a overtime lot lizard on a hot Texas night. Ima take a complete and quick pass on this immediately. I’d rather pay 400.00 for the new elektron sampler

• edited January 2019

wait a second.. is it really just one knob to program one parameter at a time..?

• Ugly and free.
    Works for me.
    B)

Now if I can just fit my iPad into my pocket...
    :)

• Could be good for some synthwave, Ill grab the free version at least.

• Wolfgang Flur & Karl Bartoz left Kraftwerk after they invested in the Synclavier. It’s probably the reason they didn’t do more albums than Tour de France after they programmed themselves crazy on that thing.
    Frank Zappa enjoyed it immensely. The first time I saw it was a demonstration by Oscar Peterson, printing out his improvisations...

• How close is the main to one to desktop Arturia version? Can it share presets?
    It doesn't look as full featured unfortunately. Having the full desktop + AU on ipad would have made this much more tempting. Especially at this price point.

• The original Synclavier had a unique approach to FM/Additive synthesis, which is captured in the Synclavier Go app.
    Later sampling and audio recording were added up to the degree of a full harddisk multitrack recording system (soectacular back then...)
    The sampling part is featured in Arturias's desktop version, but not in the Go app.

Imho it's a very good decision to restrict the app to synthesis, as that's the unique item.
    (there already are so many options and ways for sample tweaking today)

• Don’t know anything about the history or technology involved.
    But the free pocket version sounds really cool.

Anybody know what is up with the pricing?
    Full app is $20, but free app with IAPs is $10.
    Full app is iPad only, but does it do more than the fully upgraded Pocket version?

• I downloaded the Pocket version after I got cold feet last night and cancelled my preorder for Go. Here's my dilemma:

I hated it in the 80's and especially the 90's when synths tried to recreate "real" acoustic instruments. This has always sounded faker/cheaper/weaker to me than a synth tone which may have some similar tonal qualities to an acoustic instrument but is still clearly a synth. For example - the string sound on Stevie Wonder's Village Ghettoland. Clearly he is going for a string-like sound, but it is also very obviously NOT a string quartet, but still a synth. They didn't try to disguise the synthy-ness of the sound or fool the listener - rather it was used as it's own instrument.

I have this issue with iM1. This synth is from the era I despise the most - late 80's through 90's. What I DO like about the iM1 are the combinations, the synth pads/leads, and the drum kits. But honestly I reach for this very rarely.

My point here is that I'm getting a similar vibe from Synclavier Pocket. The tones are certainly authentic for the era, but the imitation of acoustic instruments thing is killing me. I'm searching for more synthesized sounds but the more and more I dig, the more I think I can get what I want from any one of the many many synths I already own.

So yeah.... not bagging on Synclavier per se, more ruminating on my own indecision. Anyone else feel this way about this era?