Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Korg Gadget 2 !

Comments

• Lexington was the last Gadget I’ve bought and that’s where it pretty much all stopped for me. Let’s see what it shows when it lands.

• @camiel we're making some changes to the UI/UX, but for now I don't think we're going to be adding an entirely new system like that. It's something on the laundry list, but...it's a long laundry list...

Memphis and Pompei will work like all of the other integration Gadgets - if you have the full app, you will be asked at launch time if you want to install the corresponding gadget.

• @davis_korgrd said:
    @camiel we're making some changes to the UI/UX, but for now I don't think we're going to be adding an entirely new system like that. It's something on the laundry list, but...it's a long laundry list...

Memphis and Pompei will work like all of the other integration Gadgets - if you have the full app, you will be asked at launch time if you want to install the corresponding gadget.

Will we be able to swap presets between the standalone versions and the gadgets? As of now, that’s still not possible with iMono/Poly and Montpellier.

• @Rich303 said:

@davis_korgrd said:
    @camiel we're making some changes to the UI/UX, but for now I don't think we're going to be adding an entirely new system like that. It's something on the laundry list, but...it's a long laundry list...

Will we be able to swap presets between the standalone versions and the gadgets? As of now, that’s still not possible with iMono/Poly and Montpellier.

+1000

• @davis_korgrd said:
    @camiel we're making some changes to the UI/UX

Got any screenshots mate? Please? :)

• Some ifx metering?

• @jwmmakerofmusic We can't quite release anything yet, but keep an eye out 👀

@Rich303 You'll be able to convert presets from the standalones to Gadget. At the time of installation of the new gadgets, all of your presets will be converted and copied to Gadget. After that, if you want to move new presets created in the standalone apps you will be able to copy them individually.

@vpich I don't think we've got any changes planned for the IFX UI at the moment, but I'll make sure to take note of this

• @Halftone said:

@Rich303 said:

@davis_korgrd said:

+1000

Yes, put this down as an essential – if a gadget exists also as an external synth, view it as necessary that they (somehow) interchange patches. It reduces value when they’re not. Lexington, for example, I have a large list of patches which I must find a way of accessing in the outer app, and vice-versa. Reading a patch from Lexington to ODYSSEi would not contain any arpeggequencer data, so that’d be default values, but the danger would be the other way – ODYSSEi to Lexington ‘losing’ arpeggequencer settings, if modified there and brought back out again. You’d have to find a way of ‘preserving’ those settings for round-tripping, even if they don’t get surfaced in Lexington. Internal to external patch interchange is very much essential, otherwise, work gets put in, then access to that work is denied.

• MS20 - I have that tattooed on my face 👨

• edited January 2019

@davis_korgrd can we expect improvements related to basic utility functions like preset tagging and better file management, (ahem ever tried to load an audio clip into Zurich??). Korg never fail to wow with the cool new toys and sounds but often the small but crucial details get overlooked.

• edited January 2019

@davis_korgrd said:

Thanks for the confirmation.
    That's good news, I look forward to playing with these in Gadget. I guess there are less controls than in the standalone apps?
    Please consider adding midi program change support to gadget for sessions. This helps hugely the potential in working with other apps. :)

• @Carnbot said:

@davis_korgrd said:

Thanks for the confirmation.
    That's good news, I look forward to playing with these in Gadget. I guess there are less controls than in the standalone apps?

I'm guessing that the Gadgets will be single instances of the synths, the apps are multiple instances arranged as Drum and Musical tracks.

• edited January 2019

@davis_korgrd said:

Something that would go half way towards this and shouldn't take too much effort is having a function that flattens a project...by flatten I mean that it will analyse your project and then where there are repeated loops either within a scene (4 bar loop in a 16 bar scene) or repeated scenes that use the repeat function, and then create actual parts for them so that you end up with the same track but with no repeated parts....this would enable you to then record full track length automations from the main arranger window.
    Doing this manually can be a bit of a laborious task at the moment.

• @davis_korgrd Is it possible to set audio recording preferences for either Zurich or Rosario ? I really want to record at 48Khz 24 bit ?

• @AndyPlankton yeah I guess we won’t get any of the sequencer parts etc.

• edited January 2019

Cool, Since I already 'own' iMS-20 and iPolySix I'll only need to get two additional IAPs(I presume the 'Midi Out' and 'Bass Amp' Gadgets are included for free).

A few things that did pop into my mind were...

Will it be possible to use the 'Internal' Gadgets as 'Input Sources' for the Audio Gadgets?
    This would make it easy to for example process 'Dublin' or 'iMS-20 thru Rosario and route the results to Zurich :)

Also will it be possible to choose which track & scene to export? (And at the same time 'dub/rename' the exported file). This would make internal re-sampling a lot easier.

• @Samu said:
    Cool, Since I already 'own' iMS-20 and iPolySix I'll only need to get two additional IAPs(I presume the 'Midi Out' and 'Bass Amp' Gadgets are included for free).

Will it be possible to use the 'Internal' Gadgets as 'Input Sources' for the Audio Gadgets?
    This would make it easy to for example process 'Dublin' or 'iMS-20 thru Rosario and route the results to Zurich :)

Also will it be possible to choose which track & scene to export? (And at the same time 'dub/rename' the exported file). This would make internal re-sampling a lot easier.

‘Midi out’ for free? I don’t know Samu. I have been trying to work out how it will work and what shape or form it will take. The picture looks to me as though it will be an actual midi sequencer- in which case I expect a Korg will be charging for it. I imagine at least a good old fashioned £9.99...... or maybe £14.99. If they can charge that amount for the handle boost compressor thing then they will charge for anything.
    What is it- the midi one- how do you think it will work? Midi out- from a pre existing Gadget of your choice? Or from the midi sequencer Gadget only with its knobs and x y pad.
    btw I’m sure that most of the lettering on the new Gadgets photo have been deliberately smudged but if you turn your brightness setting up full for a few moments you get a better view of the two others in the background. One seems to have a waveform right up front- like it’s maybe a slicer or something?

• Hi @davis_korgrd,

since a long time there is an very annoying bug: When Gadget is synced to external MIDI clock it’s bpm synced FXs (i.e. delay) are subjects to fluctuations and will sound pitched.

1 1/2 years ago I already wrote this to the support and they confirmed it + promised to fix that in the following update. Haha. After every update I wrote a reminder to the support, result after 1 year: completely ignoring my last emails. Now I deleted Gadget. Thanks.

Davis, any chance for you to forward this issue to the developers?

• @h_vel said:
    Hi @davis_korgrd,

since a long time there is an very annoying bug: When Gadget is synced to external MIDI clock it’s bpm synced FXs (i.e. delay) are subjects to fluctuations and will sound pitched.

1 1/2 years ago I already wrote this to the support and they confirmed it + promised to fix that in the following update. Haha. After every update I wrote a reminder to the support, result after 1 year: completely ignoring my last emails. Now I deleted Gadget. Thanks.

I’ve also been reporting to Korg for over 15 months that the midi in IMono/Poly has bugs. Specifically with their cc#s and midi learn. Still no fix in subsequent updates.

• @SpookyZoo: Ok, this again is confirming my impression about Korg. Their stuff sounds really good and their ideas are also innovative, but if they have your money they don’t care about you anymore. If I just remember the whole story with the Electribe 2... unbelievable that companies could survive with such a morale.

• @robosardine said:

@Samu said:

‘Midi out’ for free? I don’t know Samu. I have been trying to work out how it will work and what shape or form it will take. The picture looks to me as though it will be an actual midi sequencer- in which case I expect a Korg will be charging for it. I imagine at least a good old fashioned £9.99...... or maybe £14.99. If they can charge that amount for the handle boost compressor thing then they will charge for anything.
    What is it- the midi one- how do you think it will work? Midi out- from a pre existing Gadget of your choice? Or from the midi sequencer Gadget only with its knobs and x y pad.
    btw I’m sure that most of the lettering on the new Gadgets photo have been deliberately smudged but if you turn your brightness setting up full for a few moments you get a better view of the two others in the background. One seems to have a waveform right up front- like it’s maybe a slicer or something?

I expect Samu to be correct: Taipei and Durban free, others iap/standalone.
    Taipei is not a sequencer (Gadget is..) it’s a midi controller with touchpad, arpeggiator, cc knobs and LFO->cc.
    The background is an old Gadget ad with the current gadgets, the waveform you see is Bilbao and AbuDhabi.

• @R_2 said:

@robosardine said:

@Samu said:

Taipei is not a sequencer (Gadget is..) it’s a midi controller with touchpad, arpeggiator, cc knobs and LFO->cc.
    The background is an old Gadget ad with the current gadgets, the waveform you see is Bilbao and AbuDhabi.

You don’t think Taipei will be transmitting note sequence data? My hope was that this Gadget would be able to transmit note data written on the piano roll as midi- as well as cc data to other synths- a bit like Quantum and others.

• @h_vel said:
    Hi @davis_korgrd,

Davis IS one of the developers (as I read earlier)...

• @LucidMusicInc said:
    @davis_korgrd can we expect improvements related to basic utility functions like preset tagging and better file management, (ahem ever tried to load an audio clip into Zurich??). Korg never fail to wow with the cool new toys and sounds but often the small but crucial details get overlooked.

Absolutely. I don't need even more synths basically covering the same sonic ground, rather fixes that have been requested for ages and a sampling gadget that deserves its name.
    Stockholm was a great start already, hope there's more to come from the propellerheads! 👍🏼

• @robosardine said:

@R_2 said:

@robosardine said:

@Samu said:

You don’t think Taipei will be transmitting note sequence data? My hope was that this Gadget would be able to transmit note data written on the piano roll as midi- as well as cc data to other synths- a bit like Quantum and others.

I expect Taipei to transmit live midi data to the selected midi out channel and obviously Gadget can record that data. So technically Gadget (not Taipei) is the sequencer. That’s what I meant.

• I'm mildly annoyed and pleased in equal measure! After waiting for an eternity for iMS20 to get any kind of sync, I bought the MS20 Legacy plugin a couple of weeks ago, and it runs terribly in Logic Pro X. Lots of crashes freezes etc. It also sounds different to the iPad version, (as in not as good). The filters sound a bit weedy. So I've asked Korg for a refund. Not sure if they issue refunds for software. I'm excited about Gadget V2 though, I'll definitely buy the upgrade for Mac if it's reasonably priced. I use the plugin collection all the time in Maschine MK3.

• Unless they have significantly updated Gadget's way of constructing songs (which to me is it's primary weakness), I probably won't be returning to it.

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@h_vel said:
    Hi @davis_korgrd,

Davis IS one of the developers (as I read earlier)...

Oh, that’s actually perfect. Thanks for the info.

• @h_vel said:
    Hi @davis_korgrd,

The problem is they don't care enough to make sure every user is happy. My guess is that only a relatively very small number of users have ever even tried syncing Gadget to external MIDI clock. The rest of us have been blindly going along making our music in the closed but comfy world of Gadget itself. Ignorance is bliss for most of us, so Korg is likely not getting enough complaints to make this fix a priority.

Did they really "promise" a fix? I've found that the standard response from companies is that they confirm the bug, say it's on the list of things to do, and leave it at that. If they say it'll be fixed in the next update, then who's saying that? Someone who actually knows it can and will be fixed? I wonder how easy the problem is to solve. For a bug that doesn't impact most users, I'd tend to not believe anything and just hope they get to it someday. In the meantime, if possible, I'd continue to use the app for what it does well.