Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Constant Crashing Splitter, Gig in Two Days, SOS!

I am having what appears to be a beginner's problem after downloading audiobus3 and midiflow splitter, I am finding that splitter crashes regularly, about every 15-20 minutes. It will crash during preset load, and when I open splitter, the split is not the one I had programmed, and appears to have reset or otherwise been changed. Either that, or it will not work at all, forcing reboot. I am using an iPad Pro, plenty of processing power. I am having no stuttering audio problem, (so latency not a problem?) but radical instability, forcing me to reboot to the iPad.

I have a live gig in two days, and am anxious about rebooting the iPad during performance. The splits and layers are not overly complex or multiple. I must be doing something wrong at the basic level. I have tried swapping camera cables. I have been working with synthesizer apps including Poison, bs-16i, Neo-Soul Keys, and Galileo 2. So far I cannot find any pattern to when the crash will occur. I am using a Nektar Impact GX-49 midi keyboard. Please help save the rock.

Comments

• I can't speak for Johannes (midiflow's developer), but if it were me, I'd first ask for a crash log for Splitter: http://atastypixel.com/support/crashes

Feel free to email it to me ([email protected]) and I'll pass it along. You never know, maybe the fix can be sorted quickly, or at least a workaround suggested.

• Thank you! I've sent one of the crash logs your way.

• Hi, first: sorry for the problem. I looked into the crash report that Michael forwarded. For some reason, I cannot symbolicate the file, so I don't see the line of code where is crashed.

Is there a way to reproduce the crash? Can you share the preset?

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

@acy, in case two days is too short a time to find the problem, you may want to check out the AudioVeek Midi Tools AU. It’s only $0.99 right now. I haven’t actually tried it yet, but it does have a similar keyboard split functionality.

I love the midiflow tools, and also try to avoid introducing new unknown variables, so maybe this isn’t good advice. But trying to fix an intermittent crash on short notice can be a challenge.

• I appreciate the replies, thanks all -- attention from the developer no less! I have reduced the amounts of restarting, perhaps by using airplane mode, and have more stabilization, though it still crashes for reasons I can't discern. I will try to reproduce the crash and note the presets. Cannot find AudioVeek for IOS.

• @acy did you ever get this sorted? I have exactly the same issues on a standard iPad Air2, with the same crashes/weird patch load/not loading scenarios. Frustrated with Midiflow and thinking about Midi Tools by Victor Porof (Audioveek as above).

• Hope you get this sorted, I initially thought that 'constant crashing splitter' was the band name, sounded right up my street 🤣

• @acy said:
    Cannot find AudioVeek for IOS.

Here is the link: https://apps.apple.com/de/app/midi-tools/id1446209019

• @SilentObserver said:
    @acy did you ever get this sorted? I have exactly the same issues on a standard iPad Air2, with the same crashes/weird patch load/not loading scenarios. Frustrated with Midiflow and thinking about Midi Tools by Victor Porof (Audioveek as above).

I'm starting to think the Air 2 is a bit of a problem iPad.

I've had issues with auv3s causing major issues with apps on my iPad Air 2 that don't seem to happen with other iPads or iPhones.

One example is with NS2. It's basically unusable for me on my iPad Air 2 but the same projects with the same plug-ins work flawlessly on my iPhone 11.

• @klownshed said:

@SilentObserver said:
    @acy did you ever get this sorted? I have exactly the same issues on a standard iPad Air2, with the same crashes/weird patch load/not loading scenarios. Frustrated with Midiflow and thinking about Midi Tools by Victor Porof (Audioveek as above).

I've had issues with auv3s causing major issues with apps on my iPad Air 2 that don't seem to happen with other iPads or iPhones.

One example is with NS2. It's basically unusable for me on my iPad Air 2 but the same projects with the same plug-ins work flawlessly on my iPhone 11.

Air 2 is the most rock solid iPad ever. While everyone else was going insane with iPad Pro issue, I was happily working away with no issues, and was not alone. Sure, now it’s starting to fall behind performance wise, but unstable? Not for me in the slightest.

I think there must be other things causing the instability on your Air 2.

• @wim said:

@klownshed said:

@SilentObserver said:

Air 2 is the most rock solid iPad ever. While everyone else was going insane with iPad Pro issue, I was happily working away with no issues, and was not alone. Sure, now it’s starting to fall behind performance wise, but unstable? Not for me in the slightest.

I agree. Air 2 is a gem. I must say that I like the pro 10.5 that’s replaced my air 2 and wasn’t affected by all the ‘pro’ troubles.

• @wim said

I don’t have general instability problems with my air 2. Most apps work as well as they always did. Especially non audio apps, where I’ve had no issues at all.

It’s just that certain auv3s cause issues with the iPad Air 2 that don’t seem to happen with other iOS devices. Other people with Air 2s confirmed and replicated some issues I was having with NS2 + audio damage plug ins that others couldn’t replicate on other iPads for example. And I couldn’t replicate the issues on my iPhone.

Anyway whatever it is I have spotted a few people with ‘weird’ issues that have Air 2s and everybody else just tells them they don’t have a problem.

• @klownshed said:

@wim said

I don’t have general instability problems with my air 2. Most apps work as well as they always did. Especially non audio apps, where I’ve had no issues at all.

It’s just that certain auv3s cause issues with the iPad Air 2 that don’t seem to happen with other iOS devices. Other people with Air 2s confirmed and replicated some issues I was having with NS2 + audio damage plug ins that others couldn’t replicate on other iPads for example. And I couldn’t replicate the issues on my iPhone.

Anyway whatever it is I have spotted a few people with ‘weird’ issues that have Air 2s and everybody else just tells them they don’t have a problem.

I’ve seen your troubles on this and the NS2 forum. I’m definitely not saying you’re not having them, only that the cause is unclear, not the problems themselves. Anyway, I’m still happy with ol’ reliable for now and sorry your experience isn’t the same.

I fully expect any time now Apple will cripple it with one update too many, as they did my iPad 2, which worked fine until it didn’t any more due to an OS update. Now it’s basically a brick. :|

• Don’t other AD apps have issues in DAWs? It might be an issue with the AUv3 plugin rather than the DAW.

• edited February 2020

@wim said:

@klownshed said:

@SilentObserver said:

Air 2 became a great device after apple fixed the "scrollview bug" (took them almost a damn year )which was driving me and many other people nuts...

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/7444/whats-wrong-with-gadget-on-air-2/p1

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/7624/good-news-for-air2-folks/p1

• @klownshed said:

@SilentObserver said:

My Air 2 has also been completely reliable. The only issue I have is with Midiflow in Audiobus - everything else works flawlessly!

• To clarify. I’m not saying that the iPad Air 2 is an unreliable iPad per se.

Just that there appear to be some instances with specific combinations of host and auv3 plugins that only seem to affect users of the air 2.

Overall my iPad Air 2 has been a fantastic device.

I’ve never had any issues I can think of with non audio apps.

I don’t get any issues with AUM or GarageBand either so I just stick With them. However I’ve stopped using NS2 on my iPad as it’s nothing but trouble. As were AP and BM3 before I got shot of them too.

It’s unfortunate that the three most expensive apps I bought for my iPad Air 2 are all unusable. :-/

Anyway. It’s just a theory but I have noticed a few occasions where the only people having issues with a specific combination of host and plug in were using iPad Air 2s. But there is obviously a degree of confirmation bias on my part.

Saying the iPad Air 2 is a problem device is not what I actually meant. Bad wording on my part.

• wimwim
    edited February 2020

Air 2 is the oldest viable iPad for serious work at this stage. It is on the cusp of becoming no longer adequate. It’s not due to any issue with the model itself. The causes are natural, understandable, and are only going to get worse.

Timing and sequence of under-the-hood tasks such as memory management are more likely to show up if poorly handled by an app when the processors are struggling to keep up. If a programmer doesn’t anticipate these kind of conditions, and just assumes certain things will get done in time, that can cause crashing and other issues.

Compounding that is the fact that lower available memory means that those types of operations have to happen more often. It’s no surprise at all to me that such flaws are more likely to show up on an older device.

That’s why it was so shocking back when the Pros were performing so crappily compared to the Air 2 when the Pros first came out. In that case, it was Apple making mistakes in the OS more than developers. That took a surprising amount of time to sort out.

All that to say ... it shouldn’t be surprising. We clingers on to outdated hardware will eventually have more and more such issues. This will accelerate as more and more developers get better hardware and fewer and fewer even use an Air 2. Apple will also lose progressively more interest in keeping non-revenue generating old hardware viable. It has always been thus. Sadly, the tipping point is approaching. You’ve just hit it sooner than some others because of some combination of apps, practices, or who knows what else, but we’re all in for it.

🎵 Cue Lion King theme music ... 🎶