Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

external fx device routing

edited January 2019 in App Tips and Tricks

Hello, is it possible to settle an external fx device routing in AUM, Audiobus or Cubasis?
My soundcard is a spl crimson and it is ios compatible. The three input-output pairs appears in aum or cubasis.
I use external fx devices with Live this way
but I was unsuccessful with the iPad.
Am i missing something?

Comments

• Hi, how did you try this? I used to do this with another interface.
    In AUM you'd need two channels:

• Input 3 > Output Speaker B/L
    • Input 1/2 > Ouput Phones 1

The only tricky thing would be to figure out how are the Speaker and Phones outputs labeled.

• edited January 2019

Here is what I try: The soundcard is directly plugged into the ipad (automaticly regognized). As showed on the pic, I plug an output to a Boss se-70 device and the output pair of it back into the soundcard. Then I play let say Geoshred and I try to get the sound going out of the ipad to the se-70 and back in the iPad. When i do that on the computer I listen to the sounds on the soundcard (much more better sound).
    To sum up I try to do the same thing on the iPad that I do with the macbook and live. It seems that Cubase for example has an « external fx » plugin as live has that allows to get out and back in one track, but I don’t see such abiliity in aum or in Cubasis.

• For example. Put the thing you want to process to input 1 and set it to be an input to aums channel which outputs it to 3, which is where you would plug your external fx. Then from output of external fx you plug to input 2. Then select input 2 to be input to another aums channel and select its output to be your main our, iaa to a daw or whatever.

What did you do in ableton if you didnt do normal routing of signal path?

• Thanks both of you, I try again with your clues.

• You can also use a mixbus as input node on an AUM channel strip, with the external output going to the fx as the output node. Then you can use a bus send node on any other channel(s) to send a variable amount to the outboard fx. Use another channel strip for fx return, with corresponding hw channel as input.

• Thanks! Google translation is warming up and I have great hopes to success with your help :smile:

• Yesss! This is absolutely perfect!

• edited January 2019

My experience is that "send" FX work OK, but anything you're trying to do as an insert FX will sound like crap due to latency. Even in AUM and messing with all the latency settings didn't work for me as i think the clock or something is too unstable. You get all kinda of flanging and phasing artifacts... Maybe you'll have more luck.

Granted, mine is mostly percussion related so if it's more sustained notes, etc. you may not notice the ms delays as much.

• @MonkeyDrummer with this soundcard which is directly plugged and has an ‘artist mode’ to listen while recording I have absolutely no latency including for percussions I play live a lot. I am a lucky man with it :smiley:

• @MonkeyDrummer Here is a short music recorded live (synth one track played by physicle bouncy and oval played with fingers and all tracks routed through the soundcard and the Boss se-70) without latency

• edited January 2019

There's always latency if you send something through an external processor.
    But AUM compensates the interface part of it really well.
    (if the interface reports it properly and you have the option activated in AUM's settings)
    What the app cannot compensate is the amount of time the external unit needs for signal processing because there's no way of 'communication'.

You'll hardly notice 10 to 30ms with reverb sounds (as the example above) in a record.
    Only if you A/B two settings right in front of the gear it becomes obvious.
    In most cases it doesn't matter or spoil the party, but there are layered sounds where a few milliseconds displacement blur the attack phase significantly.

• Thanks for those elements. I didn't noticed that but, yes, the AUM compensation is activated.

• And actually, for the specific purpose of doing a send-and-return via outboard fx, AUM could be improved a bit by allowing fx latency compensation to be turned off for individual hardware outputs.