Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NanoStudio 2 OBSIDIAN │ Best app SYNTH of 2018 - haQ attaQ 310

The Obsidian synthesizer inside NanoStudio 2 by Blip Interactive for iPad packs an unprecedented amount of synthesis power! Obsidian might be one of the most intriguing synth apps that came out in 2018. The synth is so deep that even after investing three weeks of hard work into this video, I'm only able to show a part of it's full potential. Now this is haQ attaQ "docu-torial" and so not only does this video feature a tutorial, review and sound-demo segments, but also an exclusive interview with app developer Matt Borstell, the developer of NanoStudio 2.

haqattaq

Comments

• Wonderful!

• Thanks so much again, Jakob! What an information packed video!

• Great video!

How did you visualize the sound on the second iPad?
    Which App and how did you connect all of this?

• Blimey, this has nearly knocked me off the fence. Very nice sounds coming from that thing.

• @sch @Telstar5 @MonzoPro Thanks Guys! Im happy y’all liked the video. :blush:

• edited January 2019

@tja said:
    Great video!

The iPad mini 2 is running “Oscilloscope” by Onyx apps. I’m porting the audio from my iPad Pro 12,9” via the headphone port into a Behringer UCA-202 connected to the iPad mini 2.

Brw, I freaking love headphone ports! :smiley:

• @jakoB_haQ said:

@tja said:
    Great video!

The iPad mini 2 is running “Oscilloscope” by Onyx apps. I’m porting the audio from my iPad Pro 12,9” via the headphone port into a Behringer UCA-202 connected to the iPad mini 2.

Brw, I freaking love headphone ports! :smiley:

Headphone ports are such a cool invention. I really wish more devices would have them!

• And I don’t even own NS2 yet, lol

• Your video is seriously tempting my wallet though!

• wow i had no idea how great this synth is. i’m gonna have to buy nano studio 2 i think. is obsidian an in app purchase? or does it come with nano studio 2?

• edited January 2019

@eross It comes with it.

• @eross its included. To quote Matt Borstel from the video ”Obsidian is the work horse synth used by the app”!

He really packes that thing full so that it would have everything one needs for any type of production needs. I serioudly live that one can mix sampling and synthesis together!

• @gusgranite said:
    Brilliant video @jakoB_haQ

Thank you! :blush:

• @jakoB_haQ said:
    @eross its included. To quote Matt Borstel from the video ”Obsidian is the work horse synth used by the app”!

He really packes that thing full so that it would have everything one needs for any type of production needs. I serioudly live that one can mix sampling and synthesis together!

i know that is what i am so interested to try. i’m buying it! thanks for such a detailed video. i really hope all of these apps you review , share a little profit with you, because you really do sell apps with your passion for them
    keep up the great work, and thanks

• The multiple macro destinations on a single knob looks cool. Does any other iOS synth have that?

• i bought it, i love it already, and i just started digging in. however is there any other way to record audio into ns2 other than external mic. i tried from my normal iconnect audio interface but it doesn’t show up in the inputs list?

• edited January 2019

@eross any audio interface should work, i use focusrite dock..

btw also audiobus support is currently developed so soon you will be able record also from other apps

@jakoB_haQ totally awesome video - watched it twice and enjoyed it a lot - even throug i live with obsidian for 4 years :-)) Great job !

• edited January 2019

@gusgranite said:
    The multiple macro destinations on a single knob looks cool. Does any other iOS synth have that?

BM3 goes two steps further in that it offers you to adjust fixed value ranges for destination parameters and the possibility to macro-control any synth AU plugin parameter that is available.
    Same for the Mood synth, it also goes further in that you can both set the destination min/max range, the polarity, and map every parameter to the source of your choice, which adds up to over 100 modulation routings that can, if you like, be controlled from one MIDI CC or LFO or Accelerometer... Insane fun with a Korg NanoKontrol :smiley:
    iTuttle has two X/Y pads that can be mapped to any parameter, including amount and polarity, using up to 8 modulation slots.
    Sometimes it's worth spending a little time with the jewels we own already :p

This is not to degrade Obsidian in any way. The synth engine, including the sampler with in-app sampling and up to 3 velocity layers is absolutely superb!
    Just the right depth for my taste.

• edited January 2019

@jakoB_haQ

One thing regarding limits in number of slots in mod matrix which you mentioned in video.
    What if i tell you, that There is way how to set macro modulation without need to use mod matrix slot for it ?

Check that multiplier parameter in mod matrix. This parameter significantly expands modulation posibilities.

What it does ? It means, that if you have some source > destination modulation set, that multiplier affects how much that modulation is actually applied. It means, if multiplier is 0, it is like NO modulation, if it is 100%, it's like it is fully modulated based on source > descrination set amount.

So what you can do. Let's say you have Filter Envelope > Cutoff modulation. You want use macro knob how much is this modulation applies. There are 2 ways how to do this

1/ You simply add another slot in mod matrix where source is "knob" and destination is "Filter Evenvelope Level". This steals one mod matrix slot, obviously

2/ OR - you locate "filter envelope > filter cutoff" modulation slot, and you add "kbob" as MULTIPLIER to that modulation - now, if kbob is 0, there is NO envelope > cutoff mod, if kbob is 100, there is full env > cutoff mod.

I'm angry on myself that i did not understand this concept sooner, i would use it a lot during working on factory patches. It's pretty powerfull feature.

Think about fact that you can use as "multiplier" ANY mod source not just macros. It means you can basically use TWO MOD SOURCES per single slot for affecting destination.

And think also about this: You can fill all mod matrix slots with various modulations, and THEN you can take SINGLE knob and assign it as multiplier to ALL those 24 modulation slots, so with ONE knob you will be able to alter amount (in various directions and amounds of course !) of ALL those 24 modulations !!

Did you think that Obsidian modulation possibilities are insane before ? Ok, now think about this ! :smiley:

@rs2000
    BM3 goes two steps further in that it offers you to adjust fixed value ranges for destination parameters

This is basically possible also in NS2. You just need set modulated value in edit page to initial value of range - because macro knob basically adds (or subracts) to/from default value of modulated destination parameter.

For example if you want control CUTOFF just in range , let's say from 20 to 65, you set initial value of cutoff to "20" and then macro amount modulation to "45" - now you marco is changing cutoff in range 20 - 65. .. Or if you want change cutoff from 80 to 15, you set initial value to 80 and macro modulation amount to -65.

@rs2000
    macro-control any synth AU plugin parameter that is available.

you can do same thing in NS, in AU instrument module you have same 8 macros + XYpad freely assignable to any AU parameter - although for now just 1:1 but i really hope this would be improved at some point in future to 1:n ( i can promise i will push hard Matt do do this :)))

What is not currently possible is automate AUfx, but "macros for AUfx" task is at very high position in todolist ;)

• @dendy: Good to know, thank you for elaborating!
    I can't find any info on multipliers, is there a proper pdf manual that I probably don't know of?

• I might have to drop the cash for this bugger over the weekend. Damn.

• edited January 2019

@rs2000 said:
    @dendy: Good to know, thank you for elaborating!
    I can't find any info on multipliers, is there a proper pdf manual that I probably don't know of?

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/nanostudio2/user-manual/Obsidian.html#modulation-matrix

;)

• @rs2000

Oh i did one mistake, this is not true:

Think about fact that you can use as "multiplier" ANY mod source not just macros.

My wrong, actually you can use just macro as modifier, sorry for misinformation !

• edited January 2019

@dendy Sorry but the freewayprojects link asks for a user login

• edited January 2019

Oh sorry wrong link, corrected it :) Looks like i will stop give any advices for today, my brain is pretty unrealiable today :lol:

• aghhh very cool. i’ll have to dig in more maybe i missed where to change the inputs or something.
    on a related note of upcoming features, will ns2 every be universal? i’d love to ha e this on my iphone > @dendy said:

@eross any audio interface should work, i use focusrite dock..

btw also audiobus support is currently developed so soon you will be able record also from other apps

@jakoB_haQ totally awesome video - watched it twice and enjoyed it a lot - even throug i live with obsidian for 4 years :-)) Great job !

• @dendy said:
    Oh sorry wrong link, corrected it :) Looks like i will stop give any advices for today, my brain is pretty unrealiable today :lol:

Ah thanks, the link works now and leads me to the same page that left me wondering how it really works. Hopefully there will be a detailed manual soon ;)

• edited January 2019

@eross said:
    aghhh very cool. i’ll have to dig in more maybe i missed where to change the inputs or something.

It's very simple - Nanostudio uses as audio IN/OUT your connected audio device. You can select input during recording, in record screen .. that numbers represents HW INPUTS of your audio device .. In recording screen just tap in "INPUTS" select box to choose from where you want to record stuff.

on a related note of upcoming features, will ns2 every be universal? i’d love to ha e this on my iphone

yes, actually this is something which is currently under developement, first BIG update (after upcoming small update with some fixes and things like audiobus support) would be universal app, if nothing would go wrong then somewhere during spring.

@rs2000
    Ah thanks, the link works now and leads me to the same page that left me wondering how it really works. Hopefully there will be a detailed manual soon

Yes, Matt wrote manual literally few days before release - it was really hectic so some deeper details are just mentioned. For sure it would be updated in future, there are plans for more advance "tip & tricks" section and so on.. Also @StevePAL did tremendous amount of work with tutorial videos about various specific topics - https://www.youtube.com/user/platinumaudiolab , and for sure he will continue )