Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus Remote - Communication error

I just bought Audiobus Remote and I'm having a communication issue between my iPad Pro 9.7 (1st gen) at IOS 12.1.1 running Audiobus 3 and my iPhone 6S at IOS 12.1.2 running Audiobus remote.

Both devices have bluetooth enabled and other bluetooth devices are working without issues.
AB Remote in iPhone 6S keeps saying: "Communication error. Please make sure that Audiobus is running and devices are close to each other"
I see the bluetooth icon in Audiobus changing when Audiobus remote is launched in my iPhone, but the connection is not working for some reason.

Any known issue that I'm not aware of? Any ideas?
Thanks.

Comments

• After several tests I found that if I run midimittr app in both devices (establishing a basic bluetooth connection) then Audiobus Remote has no problem in finding Audiobus 3 in the other device.
    There’s clearly some issue related to bluetooth connections.

• edited January 2019

@Michael maybe something related to last IOS update?
    I’ve seen some reports about communication issues (wifi, bluetooth, etc) on 12.1.1

• Thanks for the report, @Rodolfo ! I'll look into this shortly and get back to you

• I’ve had pretty regular disconnects with AB:R for years now and stopped using it live for this reason. It’s a great tool and I’m happy to help out in any way in assisting future developments on it.

• edited January 2019

@Rodolfo said:
    I’ve seen some reports about communication issues (wifi, bluetooth, etc) on 12.1.1

CLOSE AB REMOTE

REOPEN IT.

Now, go to home on your main Audiobus App iOS device, clicking out but leaving AB open.

While AB remote is searching, the reopen AUDIOBUS on main device.

• @OscarSouth said:
    I’ve had pretty regular disconnects with AB:R for years now and stopped using it live for this reason. It’s a great tool and I’m happy to help out in any way in assisting future developments on it.

KNOCKS on head.

Never an issue not never

Since the day it came out........

Lucky me for once....

• Works like a dream for me also.
    Be great if more time and love was put into it.
    Would be nice to have the mixer controls etc
    And happy to pay for improvements

• No issue here .. works like a charm..

• edited January 2019

@RUST( i )K said:

@Rodolfo said:

CLOSE AB REMOTE

REOPEN IT.

Now, go to home on your main Audiobus App iOS device, clicking out but leaving AB open.

While AB remote is searching, the reopen AUDIOBUS on main device.

It doesn’t work for me :(
    The only workaround consistently solving the issue in my case is running midimittr app in both devices and establishing a basic bluetooth connection before launching AB and AB Remote

• That is a fix.

Just wondering if you have tried AB2 and AB3

Just curios.

Latest iOS I assume.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    That is a fix.

Just curios.

Latest iOS I assume.

I was using AB2 when it was reliable for me.

• edited January 2019

@RUST( i )K said:
    That is a fix.

Just curios.

Latest iOS I assume.

Tried AB2 and AB3, and as stated in my first comment latest IOS version available in both devices. Tried your suggested fix also, no joy.
    The only thing that works in my case is the midimittr workaround...

• Well, just an update. The midimittr workaround works just for a few minutes and after that AB Remote looses connection again.

I'm still unable to reliably connect AB Remote in my iPhone to AB3 in my iPad Pro 1st gen.

• @Rodolfo said:
    Well, just an update. The midimittr workaround works just for a few minutes and after that AB Remote looses connection again.

I'm still unable to reliably connect AB Remote in my iPhone to AB3 in my iPad Pro 1st gen.

Can you do the reciprocal?

Phone and Pad swapped for me?

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Rodolfo said:
    Well, just an update. The midimittr workaround works just for a few minutes and after that AB Remote looses connection again.

Well, I tested what you suggested and it worked fine.

So I further tested AB Remote in different combinations with my three devices: iPhone 6S (12.1.2), iPad Pro 9.7 1st gen (12.1.1) and iPad Air 2 (11.4.3)
    Everything worked fine except when AB3 is running on my Pro 9.7 and AB Remote in one of the other devices.

So I deleted and reinstalled AB3 in my Pro 9.7 and it helped a lot, now it works some times at least, and when it doesn’t work I need to use your suggested workaround (close AB Remote, Reopen it, click out of AB3 but leave it open, wait for AB Remote to search and then open AB3 on main device).
    So I guess the issue is limited to my iPad Pro 9.7 (12.1.1).

I have a live jam with some friends tonight so I’ll try to test it more in detail and see if the communication is reliable once established.

• @Rodolfo said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Rodolfo said:

So I further tested AB Remote in different combinations with my three devices: iPhone 6S (12.1.2), iPad Pro 9.7 1st gen (12.1.1) and iPad Air 2 (11.4.3)
    Everything worked fine except when AB3 is running on my Pro 9.7 and AB Remote in one of the other devices.

So I deleted and reinstalled AB3 in my Pro 9.7 and it helped a lot, now it works some times at least, and when it doesn’t work I need to use your suggested workaround (close AB Remote, Reopen it, click out of AB3 but leave it open, wait for AB Remote to search and then open AB3 on main device).

I have a live jam with some friends tonight so I’ll try to test it more in detail and see if the communication is reliable once established.

THUMBS UP EMOJI!

I am gonna stick with you on this !

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Rodolfo said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Rodolfo said:

THUMBS UP EMOJI!

I am gonna stick with you on this !

Bad news 😞
    I was not able to use AB Remote in any device when AB3 is running on my iPad Pro 9.7 (1st gen) at IOS 12.1.1, not even with the usual workarounds.

@Michael sorry to bother you with this again, is there any known bluetooth issue with 12.1.1 and AB3/AB Remote?
    The middle icon in AB3 changes to a bluetooth icon as if it’s trying to connect, but it eventually fails after a few seconds.
    No problems when AB3 runs on my Air 2 at 11.4.3 or in my iPhone 6S with 12.1.2, the issue is specific to my iPad Pro 9.7 (1st gen) at 12.1.1.

I will delete and reinstall AB3 again, but I’m afraid it’s not going to work as I already did that...

• @Rodolfo said:
    @Michael sorry to bother you with this again, is there any known bluetooth issue with 12.1.1 and AB3/AB Remote?

Damn! No, aside from this thread I'm not aware of any issues. Perhaps you could try taking a sysdiagnose and sending it over, maybe there'll be something useful. Reproduce the issue again, then:

1. Trigger a sysdiagnose by simultaneously pressing and releasing both volume buttons + sleep/wake (power) button. The sysdiagnose is triggered upon button release; you won’t see or hear anything, but it’ll be running in the background.
    2. Wait 10 minutes for the diagnostic gathering to complete
    3. Open Settings, and find Privacy, Analytics, Analytics Data, then search for the sysdiagnose entry in the list (alphabetically sorted).
    4. Tap the entry, then tap the share button at the top, and email the file to me. The file is quite large so I recommend doing this on wifi. If your email setup won’t let you send the (large) file, we might need to work out an alternative, like using Dropbox instead.
  • @Michael said:

@Rodolfo said:

Damn! No, aside from this thread I'm not aware of any issues. Perhaps you could try taking a sysdiagnose and sending it over, maybe there'll be something useful. Reproduce the issue again, then:

1. Trigger a sysdiagnose by simultaneously pressing and releasing both volume buttons + sleep/wake (power) button. The sysdiagnose is triggered upon button release; you won’t see or hear anything, but it’ll be running in the background.
    3. Open Settings, and find Privacy, Analytics, Analytics Data, then search for the sysdiagnose entry in the list (alphabetically sorted).
    4. Tap the entry, then tap the share button at the top, and email the file to me. The file is quite large so I recommend doing this on wifi. If your email setup won’t let you send the (large) file, we might need to work out an alternative, like using Dropbox instead.

Hi @Michael I just sent you a message with the dropbox link to the sysdiagnose file.
    The issue is intermitent when running AB3 in my iPad Pro and AB Remote in any other device, some times it works and some other it doesn't work at all.

• Cheers @Rodolfo - I'll take a look and get back to you

• @Michael
    I haven’t done extensive testing, but I also have an iPad Pro 9.7 and iPhone 6s both running iOS 12.1 and I also see this communication error issue. As with @Rodolfo it only happens when the iPad is hosting Audiobus 3. When I reverse it (Audiobus 3 on the iPhone, Remote on the iPad) it works fine.

However, I also have an old iPhone 5s running iOS 8.3. Running Audiobus Remote, that can connect to AB3 on the iPad (as well as connect to AB3 on the 6s). Since it’s running 8.3 I can’t run Audiobus 3 on the 5s to try to connect to it with Remote on the 6s.

Initially, running AB 2 on everything worked fine everywhere. However, now I’m getting the communication error when I try to connect to AB 2 on the iPad and Remote on the 6s.
    Remote on the 5s continues to work fine as well as reversing the setup and connecting to AB 2 on the 5s from the other two devices.

• @aplourde said:
    @Michael
    I haven’t done extensive testing, but I also have an iPad Pro 9.7 and iPhone 6s both running iOS 12.1 and I also see this communication error issue. As with @Rodolfo it only happens when the iPad is hosting Audiobus 3. When I reverse it (Audiobus 3 on the iPhone, Remote on the iPad) it works fine.

However, I also have an old iPhone 5s running iOS 8.3. Running Audiobus Remote, that can connect to AB3 on the iPad (as well as connect to AB3 on the 6s). Since it’s running 8.3 I can’t run Audiobus 3 on the 5s to try to connect to it with Remote on the 6s.

Initially, running AB 2 on everything worked fine everywhere. However, now I’m getting the communication error when I try to connect to AB 2 on the iPad and Remote on the 6s.
    Remote on the 5s continues to work fine as well as reversing the setup and connecting to AB 2 on the 5s from the other two devices.

Thank you for reporting this issue, now I know that I’m not alone!
    I thought I had some bluetooth malfunction problem but the fact that you experience the same issue with the same device and IOS version might suggest there’s some specific problem with that device. Hope that @Michael can find something.

• Thanks heaps for the diagnostic stuff, @Rodolfo. I don't have a solution yet, but I can see the problem is the underlying Bluetooth system isn't sending messages properly. There's no problem with discovery, the connection is being made, but messages from Audiobus 3 to Remote just aren't getting across. Unfortunately, the problem seems to be internal to the Bluetooth system, because I'm not seeing any error responses being reported back to Audiobus. That means my hands are kinda tied right now with respect to diagnosis. Audiobus is just shouting into the void!

I'd be curious to hear if any other Bluetooth apps work for you. I'm not personally familiar with any in particular, but I just tried Air Chat, and it might be a viable candidate.

• @Michael said:
    Thanks heaps for the diagnostic stuff, @Rodolfo. I don't have a solution yet, but I can see the problem is the underlying Bluetooth system isn't sending messages properly. There's no problem with discovery, the connection is being made, but messages from Audiobus 3 to Remote just aren't getting across. Unfortunately, the problem seems to be internal to the Bluetooth system, because I'm not seeing any error responses being reported back to Audiobus. That means my hands are kinda tied right now with respect to diagnosis. Audiobus is just shouting into the void!

I'd be curious to hear if any other Bluetooth apps work for you. I'm not personally familiar with any in particular, but I just tried Air Chat, and it might be a viable candidate.

Thank you very much @Michael. I’ll test other bluetooth apps in detail and will report back.

• @Michael said:

@Rodolfo said:

Thanks for the description of how to do a days diagnose Michael. But are you just going to leave the iPad alone while this is running or are you supposed to run the apps that don’t work properly with AB3?
    I’d like to test why some of the Korg apps have scrambled sound on my iPad in ab3

• The sysdiagnose records everything (well, some things) that's happened on the device in the day or so preceding. So the idea is you reproduce the issue, then take a sysdiagnose.