Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN is finally out!!

Comments

• @Carnbot said:
    Hi, I’d personally like to see separate time divisions for the orbits and the moons so you could have much slower orbits without having to add beats, which would give more control and options. :)

Sorry @Carnbot but I don't understand. The MOONs currently have an independent duration specified in beats that doesn't affect or relate to the PLANET orbit duration. There are no time divisions in the MOON because they don't have an event timeline (As I see it, the time division only affect the grid where the events can be placed). The speed is only related to the loop duration in beats. I'm trying to understand how adding time division on the MOON could affect the speed, but it seems that I can't :#

Btw I’ve been getting midi weirdness which seems like a bug, when trying to teach midi to a synth, more ccs are being transmitted than is in the panels making it difficult to “learn” it. Not sure what’s happening here...

Strange... in theory the "TEACH" button on the CC controller list is acting as a SOLO for that orbit. But if another orbit is using the same channel, they won't be stopped. If it can be reproduced, it's a bug!

Another request, ccs are transmitted only when notes are played, even in ‘always” mode, would be good to have a continuous option for the moons to transmit ccs even when notes aren’t being played. This will make it a much better controller for other apps. :)

I already have it in the list as a new option in the MOON view.

Thanks!

• @QuietBrian said:
    Visually beautiful app with a great deal of thought put into the design and concept. However, every video I have seen so far sounds like a variation of the same song, same tempo. I see people jumping through menus, changing shapes and doing so much but changing so little of the sound or the "type" of music that comes out of this app (at least to my ears!).

Hi!
    We've done some work related to this

:)

• LOVE THIS :)
    You guys are amazing !!!!
    Incredibly well thought out creative swimming pool.

• I'm not sure if this is just the color it is supposed to be or if moon b is deactivated... But it appears to be "off"....
    If so how do I activate it ?

• _ki_ki
    edited January 2019

@reasOne That also bothered me, i tried tons of taps on various places to ‚highlight‘ moon B or activate it somehow since it is only barely visible and looks „de-activated“

Then i read that both moons are always on (so it just seems a bad color choice) and found that one can assign controller modulations to that dark gray moon B.

Selecting a different color palette than the default didn‘t help, moon B is always the same dark color, and moon A is always white.

@JuanB Please choose a stronger color with more contrast to the background for moon B :)

• @Carnbot said:
    Great, seems much better nice work :).

Only issue I see at the moment is when I hide the Audiobus sidebar it disappears completely. The sidebar also appears quite large on a 12.9 so might mean something is wrong in the AB implementation not sure. Maybe @Michael could shed a light on this.

Getting deeper into Aphelian, I wonder if also different speed divisions for the different orbits is also on your list? @JuanB :)

Hey @Carnbot , andrés here (one of the devs). Is this still happening to you in 1.0.3? If it is, can you please send a screenshot of how it looks? I don't have a 12 inch ipad, and I can't reproduce it in the 9,7 ipad pro.

Thanks!

• edited January 2019

Here it is on 12.9, which is the same size as if on a 9.7 ipad I think. But yes when you hide the tab it can't be retrieved.

Hey @Carnbot , andrés here (one of the devs). Is this still happening to you in 1.0.3? If it is, can you please send a screenshot of how it looks? I don't have a 12 inch ipad, and I can't reproduce it in the 9,7 ipad pro.

Thanks!

• @Carnbot said:
    Here it is on 12.9, which is the same size as if on a 9.7 ipad I think. But yes when you hide the tab it can't be retrieved.

Thanks!

I think I was able to reproduce it. In the meantime, I think that a workaround is to open Aphelian before AB. I'll check it out. Thanks for the report.

• @anb said:

@Carnbot said:

Thanks!

I think I was able to reproduce it. In the meantime, I think that a workaround is to open Aphelian before AB. I'll check it out. Thanks for the report.

Oh good, yeah it can be retrieved if you open Aphelian first, thanks for the info :)

• @_ki said:
    @reasOne That also bothered me, i tried tons of taps on various places to ‚highlight‘ moon B or activate it somehow since it is only barely visible and looks „de-activated“

Then i read that both moons are always on (so it just seems a bad color choice) and found that one can assign controller modulations to that dark gray moon B.

Selecting a different color palette than the default didn‘t help, moon B is always the same dark color, and moon A is always white.

@JuanB Please choose a stronger color with more contrast to the background for moon B :)

Ahhhh!!! Well that's good to know then, I'll stop looking for ways to activate it now haha! Thanks man!

• edited January 2019

Love the mooons !

• @anb @JuanB when you hit the random button for sequences and/or tone maps, is Aphelian truly generating random sequences/tone maps? Or, is it randomly choosing from the library of patterns & maps?

• @espiegel123 said:
    @JuanB: I am getting a reproducible crash if I change the Notes or Notes Flow background while a scene is playing.

Steps.

• start playing a scene
    • click on the 'tuning fork' icon in the main toolbar (to bring up the panel that says Generator in the middle)
    • Choose a background picture from the popup list for the track that is playing
      --OBSERVE: as soon as I tap to choose a picture, Aphelian crashes. This happens both with Notes and Notes Flow.

Hi!
    I wasn't able to reproduce it. What iPad and iOS version you are using?
    Thanks!

• @haulin_notes said:
    If MIDI IN won’t/can’t be added to the synths (as they are understandably tied to the sequencers), if there was a separate app with 2, 3, or 4 layers of Aphelian’s synth, I for one would definitely be interested. The basic sound, modulation options, and functionality are great. Throw in a sub and a sample oscillator maybe, loopable envelopes, AUV3, LFOs to substitute for Orbits (if Orbits can’t be included), and whatever else you think, it would immediately be a top iOS “keyboard” synth. Just an idea!

Hi!
    We'll consider and independent app with the synth,
    thanks!

• @espiegel123 said:
    @juanb: I hope you will consider MIDI in as an option to play the synth on a channel not being used by the groove. I have a few Aphelian grooves going with two or three voices and want to add a human-played line. And it would be nice to be able to have that line played with an Aphelian synth as there is a distinct character to them.

Hi!
    I understand. There's a functional conflict with our plan of using MIDI IN notes to control the notes of the map (like a classic arpeggiator), but we'll think if something could be done about this.

• @skiphunt said:
    @anb @JuanB when you hit the random button for sequences and/or tone maps, is Aphelian truly generating random sequences/tone maps? Or, is it randomly choosing from the library of patterns & maps?

It make's a random sort of the selected notes using the current map layout.
    And it saves the seed to maintain the selection in the future.

• @JuanB said:

@skiphunt said:
    @anb @JuanB when you hit the random button for sequences and/or tone maps, is Aphelian truly generating random sequences/tone maps? Or, is it randomly choosing from the library of patterns & maps?

It make's a random sort of the selected notes using the current map layout.
    And it saves the seed to maintain the selection in the future.

Interesting. So, the more you use it... the more saved seeds of random sort... and the more random results you get?

• @JuanB said:

@espiegel123 said:
    @JuanB: I am getting a reproducible crash if I change the Notes or Notes Flow background while a scene is playing.

Steps.

• start playing a scene
    • click on the 'tuning fork' icon in the main toolbar (to bring up the panel that says Generator in the middle)
      --OBSERVE: as soon as I tap to choose a picture, Aphelian crashes. This happens both with Notes and Notes Flow.

Hi!
    Thanks!

I’ve been getting this as well. iOS 12.1.1 and iPad mini 4.

• @JuanB said:

@espiegel123 said:

Steps.

• start playing a scene

Hi!
    Thanks!

Gen 6 (2017) iPad (128 GB) running 11.4.1.

I also frequently get a crash if I press the + button to add a scene while a scene is playing.

• edited January 2019

@audiblevideo said:
    @JuanB I just had to delete and reinstall Aphelian because it wouldn’t hold the key (generator section) for the scene. Everything kept defaulting to C major.

At least visually there is no indication that the key (like D has changed) or that the chord (like 3) has changed either. Even when reinstalled.

• @skiphunt said:
    Interesting. So, the more you use it... the more saved seeds of random sort... and the more random results you get?

No, just the last seed is saved in the project file. And it's used to regenerate the selected random shape when the project is loaded.

• edited January 2019

@espiegel123 @Angie

The crash occurs when you are trying to change the note map from here?

• @audiblevideo said:

@audiblevideo said:
    @JuanB I just had to delete and reinstall Aphelian because it wouldn’t hold the key (generator section) for the scene. Everything kept defaulting to C major.

At least visually there is no indication that the key (like D has changed) or that the chord (like 3) has changed either. Even when reinstalled.

Hi!!
    The generator has 2 steps, the first sets the piano "buffer" in the middle, the second applies those notes to the pianos of the orbits. The key change is not changing the values of the "buffer piano"?

• edited January 2019

@JuanB said:

@audiblevideo said:

@audiblevideo said:

Hi!!
    The generator has 2 steps, the first sets the piano "buffer" in the middle, the second applies those notes to the pianos of the orbits. The key change is not changing the values of the "buffer piano"?

It changes with both visual and sonic feedback WHILE I’m on the page for both areas, the piano orbits and the buffer, but has no indication of what it was changed to after changing tabs/pages and the revisiting the generator page. And just to be clear the individual orbits while on other pages still shows the notes used. Hope that makes sense.

My assumption was that I can change keys in each scene as well as what notes are played like 3, 5 etc as well as custom “chords” and that they would be kept in each scene.

• @JuanB said:
    @espiegel123 @Angie

Yes

• @JuanB said:
    @espiegel123 @Angie

Yes had a crash last night trying to change the note from there in midi mode sending out to NS2.

• IPhone version???

• @JuanB said:

@haulin_notes said:
    If MIDI IN won’t/can’t be added to the synths (as they are understandably tied to the sequencers), if there was a separate app with 2, 3, or 4 layers of Aphelian’s synth, I for one would definitely be interested. The basic sound, modulation options, and functionality are great. Throw in a sub and a sample oscillator maybe, loopable envelopes, AUV3, LFOs to substitute for Orbits (if Orbits can’t be included), and whatever else you think, it would immediately be a top iOS “keyboard” synth. Just an idea!

Hi!
    We'll consider and independent app with the synth,
    thanks!

Ok, glad to hear! Thanks. 🙂

• Are all the MIDI niggles sorted now?

• @SpookyZoo said:
    Are all the MIDI niggles sorted now?

Had Aphelian sending to 4 tracks inside NS2 yesterday no problem. Had one crash however after selecting a tone map change via the secondary panel.