Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Groove Rider GR-16 Released!

Comments

• @jimpavloff said:
    Hold SHIFT for smaller end point value changes.

Ah! Muy bueno! B)

• I’m very late to this party, but what a party. This thing’s a beast!

@jimpavloff I must commend you on your iPhone SE implementation, amongst other things.

• @jimpavloff said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    Hey all,

Quick question on midi mapping... It appears that mapping only works for the "active" voice right? So there's no way to midi learn mixer levels for all channels at the same time so I could use a midi controller to mix. Right? Or is there something hidden that's not learnable. I tried sending CC7 on diff. channels hoping it worked like a real E2, but no dice...

Oh, also... So there's no way to map the input jog dial, right?

If you switch Midi Mode to "Poly" in settings menu, you will be able to control all 16 parts independently, by sending messages to corresponding midi channels. And play part notes too. Jog is not assignable.

Is there a hidden mapping for track mutes (i.e. send CC? on ch1 to mute ch1)?

• Is there a way to get the step sequencer to scroll automatically from bar to bar while a pattern is playing?

(Rather than having to manually press the direction button to follow the play point)

• edited December 2018

@LucidMusicInc said:

@RajahP said:
    Could be nice if there was a ‘make unique’ option for a pattern (Song Mode).. then one can make variations on that ‘unique’ pattern in the Seq, etc.. Or maybe I am missing it..

Save to new?

Ok, after a few days working with Song Mode.. that ‘make unique’ idea seems even more needed with the editing features of Pattern Mode (in Song Mode) .. Maybe an auto renaming/coloring of patterns.. but having the ability to change up a seq, add cond. trigs, etc in Song Mode will be a killer.
    Loving this ..

• edited January 2019

Digging into G6-16 again. Amazing app!

@jimpavloff Would it be possible to extend midi control to the transport? Only thing I’m missing is this and midi export.

Oh, and maybe midi learn for Shift button. Was a double tap to toggle Shift suggested before?

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

@SpookyZoo said:
    @jimpavloff Would it be possible to extend midi control to the transport? Only thing I’m missing is this and midi export.

It responds to host transport control, so the best thing is to host it in AB3, AUM, etc, which do allow you to map transport control.

Oh, and maybe midi learn for Shift button. Was a double tap to toggle Shift suggested before?

Long-press, then swipe up to turn shift lock on. Touch any non-control area of the interface to turn it off.

• @wim said:

@SpookyZoo said:

It responds to host transport control, so the best thing is to host it in AB3, AUM, etc, which do allow you to map transport control.

Long-press, then swipe up to turn shift lock on. Touch any non-control area of the interface to turn it off.

Awesome. Both of those are gold. Cheers!

• @wim said:
    It responds to host transport control, so its possible to host it in AB3, AUM, etc, which do allow you to map transport control.

Before I get to this later, will this include recording?

It would be great to be able to select parts via midi and hit record. i.e full control via midi controller.

• Just checked. :(

It’s a shame we can’t remotelty set GR-16 to record via AUM or Audiobus.

Some AB Remote triggers to select parts and trigger recording would be great.

Seriously cool app though!

• @SpookyZoo said:

@wim said:
    It responds to host transport control, so its possible to host it in AB3, AUM, etc, which do allow you to map transport control.

It would be great to be able to select parts via midi and hit record. i.e full control via midi controller.

It looks like you need to arm record from within the app, but from there, pressing play in the host starts recording. I don’t think the record button can be controlled directly via midi, but I could be wrong on that.

• @wim said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@wim said:

It looks like you need to arm record from within the app, but from there, pressing play in the host starts recording. I don’t think the record button can be controlled directly via midi, but I could be wrong on that.

Thanks @wim

• edited January 2019

@SpookyZoo said:

In the meantime, you can slave GR-16 to MIDI Clock and it will respond to start/stop commands too. Most hardware with transport buttons can send MIDI clock, have you checked that?

BTW, Shift-lock is achieved by tap-sliding up or down on the SHIFT button. (I agree though, I would prefer it to be double-tap or tap-hold).

• @SpookyZoo said:

Yep, Midi Export will be golden..

• @rs2000 said:

@SpookyZoo said:

In the meantime, you can slave GR-16 to MIDI Clock and it will respond to start/stop commands too. Most hardware with transport buttons can send MIDI clock, have you checked that?

BTW, Shift-lock is achieved by tap-sliding up or down on the SHIFT button. (I agree though, I would prefer it to be double-tap or tap-hold).

Cheers. I’ll test out a Midi clock workflow tomorrow. I wasn’t sure if there was any toggle for shift. Good to know that one is there. Still, would love that to be midi learnable along with the record button. :)

• @RajahP said:

@SpookyZoo said:

Yep, Midi Export will be golden..

Yeah, would be an awesome addition.

• For those who are using an external pad controller with Groove rider: have you managed to get the pads to operate in the 'other' modes - muting, etc?

New user. I've skim-read this thread over the last couple of days, and it seems that MIDI notes from the pad (I'd plan to use a Korg Nanopad2) are ignored when not in Keys/Chords mode. It would certainly be nice to input drum steps with pad velocity in Trigger mode. Is that possible?

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

@manalishi said:
    For those who are using an external pad controller with Groove rider: have you managed to get the pads to operate in the 'other' modes - muting, etc?

New user. I've skim-read this thread over the last couple of days, and it seems that MIDI notes from the pad (I'd plan to use a Korg Nanopad2) are ignored when not in Keys/Chords mode. It would certainly be nice to input drum steps with pad velocity in Trigger mode. Is that possible?

If you set midi input mode to OMNI, then each pad responds on it’s own midi channel. So, if you can set your controller up to send each pad on a separate midi channel, then you can trigger the pads.

Below is an example Streambyter script that translates notes C1 - D#2 to C2 on channels 1-16. (Play note C1 on any channel, and it will come out C2 on Channel 1, C#1 will be C2 on Channel 2, D1 will be C2 on Channel 3, etc. You would substitute the notes (in hex) that your controller sends in the second column below.

# Translate notes c1 - d#2 to note c2 on ch 1-16
    # Example for use with 16 pad controller to GR-16 in OMNI mode

NX 24 = X0 30
    NX 25 = X1 30
    NX 26 = X2 30
    NX 27 = X3 30
    NX 28 = X4 30
    NX 29 = X5 30
    NX 2A = X6 30
    NX 2B = X7 30
    NX 2C = X8 30
    NX 2D = X9 30
    NX 2E = XA 30
    NX 2F = XB 30
    NX 30 = XC 30
    NX 31 = XD 30
    NX 32 = XE 30
    NX 33 = XF 30

• Excellent - thanks, Wim. I haven't bought the pad controller yet, so I will check about note+channel assignments before buying. I suspect most are fixed to a single channel.

(I will also look up Streambyter - looks useful.)

• For clarity's sake, the pad controller will NOT mimic the pads in GR16 because it's designed with each pad hardwired to its own MIDI channel. Think of it as though each pad were a MIDI track in a sequencer hard wired to MIDI channel 1 - 16. If your intention is, for example, to have your controller's pads trigger chords in Chord mode or mute tracks in Mute mode it won't work.

I have an Arturia BeatStep and with each its pads set to its own MIDI channel and GR16 in POLY mode, the BeatStep triggers the SOUND (and only the sound) assigned to each GR16 pad. In OMNI mode nothing triggers. If I assign all the BeatStep pads to unique notes on the _same _ MIDI channel (eg. channel one), the pads play those notes on that channel (channel one in this example) no matter what mode GR16 is in.

As I've said way earlier in this thread, aside from the ability to add velocity and pressure to note input I find the pad controller to be of limited use - the iPad screen is much more immediate and creatively stimulating.

• Thanks Bill. I've temporarily hooked up a Keystep for note input, and I'm trying to use it as a proxy for understanding how pads might work (before thinking about either a separate pad controller or a combined pad+keys controller). For sure, adding velocity/pressure is important to me. Especially when entering dynamics for hihat/etc patterns into the sequence steps.

I'll try that Streambyter app first.

(I'm still learning the GR-16, but am already spending more time with it than any other iPad app. )

• @manalishi said:
    Thanks Bill. I've temporarily hooked up a Keystep for note input, and I'm trying to use it as a proxy for understanding how pads might work (before thinking about either a separate pad controller or a combined pad+keys controller). For sure, adding velocity/pressure is important to me. Especially when entering dynamics for hihat/etc patterns into the sequence steps.

(I'm still learning the GR-16, but am already spending more time with it than any other iPad app. )

I have found that whenever I play and record drums on a velocity-sensitive keyboard, after recording I usually fine-tune the velocity levels anyway.

• For DAW-like working, that's cool. But for quickly getting something going, it's a lot easier (for me) to use pads.

I'm switching some things around this week and will see how far I get.

(I have got some other unusual behaviour: MIDI in notes from an attached keyboard are not echoed to the MIDI out stream. They DO trigger the GR-16 part live, and DO get recorded into the pattern but are only sent through the MIDI Out on the next loop through the pattern. Has me scratching my head a bit, and I've got to delve into the MIDI settings to see if I've SNAFUed.)

• wimwim
    edited January 2019

@manalishi said:
    For DAW-like working, that's cool. But for quickly getting something going, it's a lot easier (for me) to use pads.

I'm switching some things around this week and will see how far I get.

(I have got some other unusual behaviour: MIDI in notes from an attached keyboard are not echoed to the MIDI out stream. They DO trigger the GR-16 part live, and DO get recorded into the pattern but are only sent through the MIDI Out on the next loop through the pattern. Has me scratching my head a bit, and I've got to delve into the MIDI settings to see if I've SNAFUed.)

Probably not. I doubt if midi-thru was ever contemplated. I’ll bet the app just records the notes as played, and only sends out on playback. If I had designed a groove box with no midi output, then added it later, I doubt I would have anticipated anyone needing midi thru. Midi out was bolted into GR-16 well after release.

Your best bet would be to load both the target app and GR-16 into AUM, then route your input device to both apps. That’s what I would do.

• GR-16 manual has been updated with some info about the new Song Mode.
    https://www.jimaudio.pro/grooverider/grooverider_manual.pdf

• @jimpavloff said:
    GR-16 manual has been updated with some info about the new Song Mode.

Good stuff. Thanks!

• edited January 2019

@jimpavloff said:

Jim, what do you think about adding velocity to pads by hitting the bottom for low and the top for high velocity, like in Arturia iSpark? (and a menu option to enable/disable)
    EDIT: Sorry, forget it, I'm stupid, found the option in the PART settings ;) :#

• @manalishi said:
    Thanks Bill. I've temporarily hooked up a Keystep for note input, and I'm trying to use it as a proxy for understanding how pads might work (before thinking about either a separate pad controller or a combined pad+keys controller). For sure, adding velocity/pressure is important to me. Especially when entering dynamics for hihat/etc patterns into the sequence steps.

You've seen the
    Menu > Part > Pad Velocity
    setting, haven't you?

• @jimpavloff said:

Thanks..

• Great, and I'm finding because this app has a great Program change per pattern and user folder per bank select ability you can also create your own song mode too via midi :)

only had a quick test with this method but seems to work well.