Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Streambyter OneFingerChords Script: Sample sessions for AB3 and AUM

This post features downloads and instructions for sample sessions for the

StreamByter OneFingerChord script

(published on the audeonic forum) and inspired/featured/discussed by @McDtracy here on the AB forum.

The sessions consist of RozetaXY (for modwheel), the StreamByter AU containing the OneFingerChord script and two Bismark bs16i instances with slow strings and nylon guitar. For generative music Autony and RozetaLFO is present - these only start on ‚play‘.

The sessions should work even when some of the plugins are missing (of course you need StreamByter AU), just replace them with other synth or midi generators. You don’t need RozetaXY if your midi keyboard features a modwheel. Or you add KB1 AU to the session to feed StreamByter.

To use the script in other hosts/sessions, open StreamByter, select its preset icon, choose local and then save.

Audiobus 3

You can download the Audiobus preset

'OneFingerChords': http://preset.audiob.us/QS5rBTwNF4p3jXx

and on the AB3 midi page, open up RozetaXY to play keyboard and Rozetas modwheel. Press AB3 play for generative music using Autony/RozetaLFO.

AUM

You can download two AUM projects OneFingerChords-A and OneFingerChords-B. After selecting ‚download‘, choose open in AUM - they have different tuning settings for the chords (both developed by @McDtracy)

To play, open the AUM keyboard and RozetaXY to play single notes while modifying the tuning/strum with XYs modwheel.

Comments

• Wow. You really put some effort into this @_Ki. Your attention to detail is so impressive.

I will slowly read through your code to learn more about StreamByter capabilities and Best Practices for creating SB "Products". I'll have a play later today.

• I had a play... really nice. A StreamByter Script can approach the capabilities of a product.
    Unfortunately for me my BS-16i App won't load as an AU. I substituted iSymphonic but I noticed you had 2 instances so I load Noise as well and connected both to your StreamByter script in the AB3 and AUM configs. What instruments did you expect to have loaded in the BS-16i's so I can get the full experience. Are both BS-16i's on MIDI Channel 1?

Oh, maybe my BS-16i is loading a huge Salamander soundfont and crashes. I'll check.

• You are right - i thought they would use the
    basic/default ‚GeneralUser GS Softsynth v1.44.sf2‘ - but instead they both try to load presets from ‚Gravis_Ultrasound_Classic_PachSet_1.6.sf2‘ . These are ‚Slow Strings‘ and ‚Nylon Guitar‘.

I‘ll upload new versions of the sessions using the default set - sorry for the inconveniences

• @McDtracy said:
    Oh, maybe my BS-16i is loading a huge Salamander soundfont and crashes.

I deleted it and re-installed and I can hear what you intended now.

• @_ki said:
    basic/default ‚GeneralUser GS Softsynth v1.44.sf2‘ - but instead they both try to load presets from ‚Gravis_Ultrasound_Classic_PachSet_1.6.sf2‘ . These are ‚Slow Strings‘ and ‚Nylon Guitar‘.

I've got it all working as you intended.

I have to track down that GUS Patch set just for the nostalgia of my move from the Amiga to a windows system. Trackers with MOD files on a GUS. @Samu and I had a moment re-visiting that era.

I tried some Overdrive Guitar and also sent the SB output into RuisMaker Noir with a very percussive preset (using Random until it sounded right) and that was so cool. I also swapped out Autony for Riffer and things got very EDM fast. Of course, Rozetta covers that type of sound already but still... Rozetta, Riffer and Autony don't throw chords at the Apps just single notes.

• Beautiful job coding and creating the installation packaging. It's always helpful to have good code to study when learning a new programming tool.

When you get a chance check out my Version 2 hack. I have figured out transposition and using delays. I also re-worked the chords to be useful for Major Keys vs the A minor of Version 1.

With a short delay mine sounds great on a 12 string preset and with long delays it becomes an Arpeggiator and Echo FX unit.

This soundcloud link demo's the possibilities of my version 2:

The code, of course, is pure hacker/script kiddie nightmare but it works.

• edited January 2019

@McDtracy said:

I have to track down that GUS Patch set just for the nostalgia of my move from the Amiga to a windows system.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o19ouezwmxroj73/gus.zip?dl=0

Enjoy ;)
    One thing I've noticed is that it's not possible to access the GUS-Drumkit in the AUv3 (It works in the standalone BS-16i but only on Midi Channel 10) but the rest of the sounds work.

• I re-checked the uploaded files and all three were using the default sf2 patch - so they should work directly without the need of the GUS patch.

• @_ki said:
    I re-checked the uploaded files and all three were using the default sf2 patch - so they should work directly without the need of the GUS patch.

They did. I just needed to re-install BS-16i to get it working. I had about a dozen SF2 added to BS-16i and I think I broke it with very large soundfonts making it crash on start up. It did work as an IAA instance but I'm good to go now. The GUS SF is so small. I think GUS had 32MB or sample RAM so it makes sense.

You should hear your set up with iSymphonic and Noise "Hybrid Acoustic" instruments. There's an audience for this type of sound... maybe not on this forum but those old school
    ROM-pler folks are out there.

• @McDtracy said:
    The GUS SF is so small. I think GUS had 32MB or sample RAM so it makes sense.

More like 256KB and 32-voices :D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravis_Ultrasound

The samples had to be loaded to the card before playback...

• @Samu said:

@McDtracy said:
    The GUS SF is so small. I think GUS had 32MB or sample RAM so it makes sense.

More like 256KB and 32-voices :D
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravis_Ultrasound

The samples had to be loaded to the card before playback...

"We only had 256KB of RAM for sounds and we LIKED it." - Dana Carvey's old man character.
    I feel so old suddenly. My first computer had 16KB of RAM... then 1MB... the 4MB... the 256MB... (skip 15 years)... then 16GB. 3 Orders of magnitude. Will I live to see a 16TB personal device? 4 orders. Hm... maybe my HP calculator had 16 memory locations Ka-ching. 4 orders of magnitude heading for 5!.

16,000,000,000,000?

May you live in interesting times. I'm a child of Moore's Law combined with Murphy's Law.
    Have you heard the Murphey's Law story? It should be a movie. Really amazing story about
    studing the effects of acceleration G Force on rocket sleds. The scientist (not being sure the
    human would die) took the Rocket Rides to test G Forces. Murphey was a Tech and he soldered the G sensors in with the diodes backwards. The scientist said:

If there are 2 ways to do something Murphy will do the wrong one first.
    So the first Rocket Sled run captured no G Force Data and it could have killed the scientist.

I hit the Murphy odds about 6 out of 10. Weird huh?

What is this thread about? Nurse!

• @_ki provided instructions to re: Rozetta LFO use with the script and his AB3/AUM configurations:

The RozetaLFO (with the settings i descibed above) send random CC1 modwheel changes. In the demo sessions/script there are 4 variations.

• low modwheel - plain chord with 3 notes
    • below center - strum up with 3 notes in 1/16 bpm
    • above center - strum down 3 notes in 1/16 dotted or triplets
    • high modwheel - strum mixed 4 notes in 1/8 bpm

So

# A B C D //— Strumming
      ASS K00 = D00 D16 D10 D08 # Use D00 for ‚no-strumming‘,
      D16 for
      # 1/16th strum, D12 for 1/16th triplets

# //— BPM
      ASS K04 = D110 # BPM needed for strumming

In one of the scripts i used the strange division of 1/9, better change that to 1/10 or 1/12 bar and i forgot that you also need to specify the BPM of your project to get everything synced up.

• FYI: When Nic at Audeonic saw @_Ki's recent script he wrote this review:

Mein Gott,

I would never have dreamed that this primitive language (StreamByter) could be used to create something so complex. Fantastic! And decimal values too...

Regards, Nic.

The script is 672 lines long and is completely commented.
    Mein Gott is german for WTF.

• < shyly hiding in the dark below the desk >

< some coughing to clear the throat >

Enough of compliments, lets just work on the scripts :)

• Comments are needed for myself to understand what i intended the day before.
    • 672 lines, okay that‘s 110 more than the PolyNxM script which i though was longer - probably the three times repetitions of the BCD to hex subroutine for the decimal conversions of user parameters with about 300 lines.
  • @McDtracy said:
    FYI: When Nic at Audeonic saw @_Ki's recent script he wrote this review:

Mein Gott,

I would never have dreamed that this primitive language (StreamByter) could be used to create something so complex. Fantastic! And decimal values too...

Regards, Nic.

The script is 672 lines long and is completely commented.
    Mein Gott is german for WTF.

Well deserved. This script is righteous.