Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Problems with Kaspar as IAA in AUM... Not saving state...

Ugh... I just realized that when I use Kaspar in AUM as IAA (which is required as you lose a lot in terms of preset management as an AU).

For example...

Load Kaspar in AUM
Open Kaspar
Make a change to a voice like arp type
Shut down AUM
restart AUM
Change to arp is gone...

:(

I had really thought Kaspar may be my multi-timbral solution... Yonac doesn't seem to respond to emails, tweets, etc. either... so I guess maybe it's a dead product?

Comments

• _ki_ki
    edited January 2019

For IAAs it‘s complicated:

• Some of them save their current state that is reloaded on the next start, but for different sessions you manually have to save/load the state using their own preset system
    • IAAs supporting AudioBus and addionally the AB3 state saving feature will save their state in the AB session when hosted inside Audiobus

AUs save their state and manage presets in the AU hosts session, some additonally offer an own preset system for cross-host presets.

Back to your question:
    According to the AB3 app page, KASPAR supports AB3 state saving. So try a setup where KASPAR and AUM are hosted and connected in AB3.

I suspect that IAAs hosted in AUM which itself is hosted in AB3 don‘t save their state since AB3 does not know about the sub-IAA.

• Best to use AUs if you have the option ...but for IAA only apps which support midi program change, you could use Streambyter to recall a patch in a host session such as AUM or apeMatrix. Theres’s a thread I posted in apps tricks section. Kaspar stand-alone supports this.

I was thinking of hopefully updating this script with instructions for various apps as time goes on (maybe others will add to it). I’m finding it a really good way of recalling patches in IAA apps. :)

• One of the reasons why IAA is pretty much dead in the water: it has no state saving mechanism.

As @_ki also said: if you're using IAA apps each one has to be saved separately, manually. Every session.

• @brambos said:
    One of the reasons why IAA is pretty much dead in the water: it has no state saving mechanism.

As @_ki also said: if you're using IAA apps each one has to be saved separately, manually. Every session.

Unless they support AB3 state saving.

• @espiegel123 said:

@brambos said:
    One of the reasons why IAA is pretty much dead in the water: it has no state saving mechanism.

Sure, but that's not much use when hosting things in AUM. Only when you use AB for hosting, and even then it's 50/50 chance if an app actually supports it properly, unfortunately.

• @espiegel123 said:

@brambos said:

It's still true that "IAA has no state saving". AB3 is a separate thing, built on top of IAA, that adds state saving and other things.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@espiegel123 said:

@brambos said:

It's still true that "IAA has no state saving". AB3 is a separate thing, built on top of IAA, that adds state saving and other things.

Thanks a lot guys on the tips. It's been a while I tried to do anything with IAA in AUM and forgot about how much "fun" it is. :)

So i need to manually save Kaspar presets when I make changes, but AUM does remember what preset was actually loaded.

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

Thanks a lot guys on the tips. It's been a while I tried to do anything with IAA in AUM and forgot about how much "fun" it is. :)

So i need to manually save Kaspar presets when I make changes, but AUM does remember what preset was actually loaded.

No, AUM doesn't know what the preset of an IAA app is it's hosting, so the only way to recall it is to load the preset manually, or use the midi program change method I mentioned earlier, which is a workaround.

• If Kaspar supports AB3 state saving, you could set up an AB3 doc that loads Kaspar and the AUM doc.

• @Carnbot said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

No, AUM doesn't know what the preset of an IAA app is it's hosting, so the only way to recall it is to load the preset manually, or use the midi program change method I mentioned earlier, which is a workaround.

Ten why is it when I load AUM, then click Kaspar, it has the same preset I was last using... Anyhoo, I've decided to just say F it and deal with Kaspar as an AU. Problem solved. :)

• @MonkeyDrummer said:

@Carnbot said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Ten why is it when I load AUM, then click Kaspar, it has the same preset I was last using... Anyhoo, I've decided to just say F it and deal with Kaspar as an AU. Problem solved. :)

That's because some IAAs load the last preset that was loaded, which isn't the same as statesaving, if you loaded Kapsar outside of AUM and changed the preset to something else, it would just revert to that one, not the one in the AUM session etc.....yeah it's annoying so best to use AUs if you want to recall everything. :)