Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

NEWBIES: Welcome, step into my thread.............

edited December 2018 in App Tips and Tricks

HOLIDAYS........new iPads.......new midi devices.......new apps.......NEW USERS!

If anyone is lurking and has any questions about individual apps, connecting apps, audio, midi, or any sort of operational or functionality questions with iOS music making.......
....post your question here or PM me.

I would be glad to help you. And if you post in this thread, I am sure many other of our awesome members will help you out.

No question is a silly one.

Everyone at one point said.......what is AUDIOBUS?

How do I make music with it?

What is LOOPY?

How do AUDIOBUS and LOOPY work making music?

What is the difference between audio and midi routing?

The AUDIOBUS forum.......a community of broken toys and misfit music making adults with children's dreams a reality...... :)

WELCOME!

Comments

• How do I make a bazillion dollars creating the sickest beats with my iPad?
    :)

• "Money can't buy happiness; it can, however, rent it." – Unknown

"The only thing money gives you is the freedom of not worrying about money." – Johnny Carson

"It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed." – Kin Hubbard

"Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping." – Bo Derek

"If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." – Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest luxury of riches is that they enable you to escape so much good advice." – Sir Arthur Helps

• Here's one for the newbies ... a piece of advice ...
    The ios platform, world, universe is very very exciting and mind bending. Don't buy every cool app. You will be tempted and rightly so, the ingenuity and cool factor from the devs is off the charts. But, if I may, you will be tempted to say "this app is so cheap" or "it would be so cool if I got "x" app and was able to do "y"" ...

Take a step back, think what you want to achieve and buy the app that helps you achieve that. I wish I had taken this advice that was offered along the way.

Great post @RUST( i )K !

• @RUST( i )K said:
    "Money can't buy happiness; it can, however, rent it." – Unknown

"The only thing money gives you is the freedom of not worrying about money." – Johnny Carson

"It is pretty hard to tell what does bring happiness; poverty and wealth have both failed." – Kin Hubbard

"Whoever said money can't buy happiness simply didn't know where to go shopping." – Bo Derek

"If you would know the value of money, go and try to borrow some." – Benjamin Franklin

"The greatest luxury of riches is that they enable you to escape so much good advice." – Sir Arthur Helps

Yes sir. That is great advice.
    B)

• @kinkujin said:
    Take a step back, think what you want to achieve and buy the app that helps you achieve that. I wish I had taken this advice that was offered along the way.

Couldn‘t you have told me that two years and several hundreds of euros before?

• Lol... so true.
    Got so many apps...
    Getting more productive these days using only iMS-20 and Garageband, which are some of the oldest in my collection :smiley:

• @senhorlampada said:
    Lol... so true.
    Got so many apps...
    Getting more productive these days using only iMS-20 and Garageband, which are some of the oldest in my collection :smiley:

Yeah, the main apps I used were acquired years ago.

Patterning.
    Animoog for instance.

Newer not always better.

Personal comfort for sure is number 1 factor.

Hard to always keep that in mind with hype at times.....

• Hey @RUST( i )K

In cubasis how can pan left and right equally two tracks. I don’t see the percentage of panning im applying.

• Go AU.
    Straightaway.
    And don’t look back.

😎

• @ecou said:
    Hey @RUST( i )K

In cubasis how can pan left and right equally two tracks. I don’t see the percentage of panning im applying.

Let me reinstall and look.

What do you want to do exactly and why?

Give me a reference point to explore.

• GarageBand is all you need...

• @onkey said:
    GarageBand is all you need...

"One"key says.......... ;)

• @RUST( i )K said:

@ecou said:
    Hey @RUST( i )K

Let me reinstall and look.

What do you want to do exactly and why?

Give me a reference point to explore.

Well let say I wanna pan a guitar left 90% and the other right 90%. I guess I have to eyeball it. There is no number on the panning slider. That I can see at least.

• @ecou said:

Well let say I wanna pan a guitar left 90% and the other right 90%. I guess I have to eyeball it. There is no number on the panning slider. That I can see at least.

I think the only place you’ll see an exact value for panning is within the automation editor for the track in question. Not the most intuitive way to find that info, but it is possible to see it there.

• @brice I did not think of that . A bit of a pain but it will do for those times when I wanna be precise.

Thank you

• Hi, my name is marmakin and I am a newbie. To here anyways, I’ve got about 100 music apps though by now (you know the deal). I feel like that has to put me to at least gold level status haha. Just wanted to share my story for anyone that might find this interesting in a bigger picture way.

I came to iOS music via a long road from originally playing in a jazz trio, to an indie rock band, to a synthy hip hop-y band, to iOS for my individual music making interests. From what I have seen there is very little awareness in the “physical” instrument world about how far the iOS music making world has come in the last few years. People still think you can basically only have a second rate synth app send a line out into a PA or something. Almost nobody, even in my own bands, realize that you can make incredibly full productions with uniquely amazing instruments all on an iPad. I commute by train to work and when I discovered I could be adding things to my Cubase projects via this app called Cubasis and vice versa I was instantly sold. Then the addiction set in about a year ago lol. It’s stunning what kind of amazing instruments you can get for $5.99 when even a super basic crappy guitar pedal will run you $59. Why don’t we see more famous professional hit songs from iOS? A couple reasons but mostly because this is still a secret.

Also just wanted to thank you guys because you already gave me lots of answers to many of my random newbie questions when I was just a forum lurker. I will have more haha. See you around.

• Welcome @marmakin! Nice post! Feel free to share any tunes. You’ve got me interested now 🙂

• edited December 2018

You don't need a ton of apps. Too many apps will get you nowhere but too many distractions :neutral: If you bought an app to play with it for only a few minutes and never look at again, you don't need it - you could just watch a YT video instead, for that purpose.

• @brice said:

@ecou said:

I think the only place you’ll see an exact value for panning is within the automation editor for the track in question. Not the most intuitive way to find that info, but it is possible to see it there.

The slider value is light gray and mostly not visible over colored track event areas. Pinch the Automation editor a bit to zoom out or scroll left/right until you see the slider value over a non-event/light/white area where the value is visible. Also, making minute adjustments is fiddly and frustrating in Cubasis. Ability to select data points and tap up/down buttons to increment/decrement whole/fractional values would be ideal in all editors, mixer, etc. Double tapping the slider in Automation editor does not reset and it is very fiddly to center/reset back its value.

@LFS please address these issues.

• @RUST( i )K , you’re a good man, you’re always willing to help and are a true asset to the community...Salute!

I’ve been at this for a long time (in iOS years) and have tons of apps and use a few. I do like the shiny new things buy I don’t buy too much any more, IAPs probably count for more than app purchases or maybe an equal amount this last year...all on sale of course!

Newbies: Enjoy the journey and please support iOS content providers if at all possible.

• @gusgranite said:
    Welcome @marmakin! Nice post! Feel free to share any tunes. You’ve got me interested now 🙂

Thank you! Maybe I’ll put some songs on a soundcloud page or something.

@MobileMusic said:
    You don't need a ton of apps. Too many apps will get you nowhere but too many distractions :neutral: If you bought an app to play with it for only a few minutes and never look at again, you don't need it - you could just watch a YT video instead, for that purpose.

This is really good advice and so true. I feel like I really truly know how to use only a small portion of them and it does seem harder to focus on what the hell im doing haha. Part of me likes the idea of supporting these super creative one off developers too though.

• @TozBourne said:
    @RUST( i )K , you’re a good man, you’re always willing to help and are a true asset to the community...Salute!

I’ve been at this for a long time (in iOS years) and have tons of apps and use a few. I do like the shiny new things buy I don’t buy too much any more, IAPs probably count for more than app purchases or maybe an equal amount this last year...all on sale of course!

Newbies: Enjoy the journey and please support iOS content providers if at all possible.

Yeah, big up @RUST( i )K !

• How do you know which apps are best for you without trying them all? :)

• Hi guys! Very new to the iOS music scene and bought AB3 today :)

Is there a way to Send/Return/Mixbus style routing in AB3? In particular I would want this for common reverbs/delays/etc.

It seems that this is possible with AUM, but somehow the AB3 ecosystem looks more appealing to me.

Thanks very much!

• @marmakin said:
    Hi, my name is marmakin and I am a newbie. To here anyways, I’ve got about 100 music apps though by now (you know the deal). I feel like that has to put me to at least gold level status haha. Just wanted to share my story for anyone that might find this interesting in a bigger picture way.

I came to iOS music via a long road from originally playing in a jazz trio, to an indie rock band, to a synthy hip hop-y band, to iOS for my individual music making interests. From what I have seen there is very little awareness in the “physical” instrument world about how far the iOS music making world has come in the last few years. People still think you can basically only have a second rate synth app send a line out into a PA or something. Almost nobody, even in my own bands, realize that you can make incredibly full productions with uniquely amazing instruments all on an iPad. I commute by train to work and when I discovered I could be adding things to my Cubase projects via this app called Cubasis and vice versa I was instantly sold. Then the addiction set in about a year ago lol. It’s stunning what kind of amazing instruments you can get for $5.99 when even a super basic crappy guitar pedal will run you $59. Why don’t we see more famous professional hit songs from iOS? A couple reasons but mostly because this is still a secret.

Also just wanted to thank you guys because you already gave me lots of answers to many of my random newbie questions when I was just a forum lurker. I will have more haha. See you around.

I think the question is a good one regarding artists.

I can say this, you will see more.

You may be surprised actually.

if you troll Boiler room electronic performances you be surprised how many iOS / iPads you see.

I think the issue I find odd is this need to identify by individuals.

"NO DAW".

"ALL DAW"

"THIS DAW"

"THAT DAW"

"HARDWARE"

"DIGITAL"

"RENT"

"OWN"

"BORROW"

"ANALOG"

I think the best think for me is avoid labels and trapping myself in the proverbial box of creative doxies based upon methodology and devices used.

I am all about a hybrid set up consisting of hardware software MacBook iPads analog digital multi brands and multi devices.

Thanks for posting!

Love to hear your jazz as well.

HUGE SONNY ROLLINS fan.

• @lovadamusic said:
    How do you know which apps are best for you without trying them all? :)

Buy them all.

• @irond13 said:
    Hi guys! Very new to the iOS music scene and bought AB3 today :)

Is there a way to Send/Return/Mixbus style routing in AB3? In particular I would want this for common reverbs/delays/etc.

It seems that this is possible with AUM, but somehow the AB3 ecosystem looks more appealing to me.

Thanks very much!

Using hardware or an incoming signal or a divergent signal path originating from an app in the input slot?

If an app, I can suggest a work around if using AU by having several channels and mute/solo to engage the desired track.

Let me know so I can better advise.

• @TozBourne said:
    @RUST( i )K , you’re a good man, you’re always willing to help and are a true asset to the community...Salute!

I miss you my friend.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Using hardware or an incoming signal or a divergent signal path originating from an app in the input slot?

If an app, I can suggest a work around if using AU by having several channels and mute/solo to engage the desired track.

Thanks!

For the most part, hardware. The idea would be the same as Ableton’s send/return system. I don’t think solo/mute would work as I would need to send less than full amounts of the base tracks to the ‘effects’ bus (and then hopefully be able to automate/map that percentage).

• @irond13 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

Thanks!

For the most part, hardware. The idea would be the same as Ableton’s send/return system. I don’t think solo/mute would work as I would need to send less than full amounts of the base tracks to the ‘effects’ bus (and then hopefully be able to automate/map that percentage).

Here is what I do.

I took screenshots of phone to give idea.

I am at gym so can’t give you my exact home studio set routing.

I use AUM AND(in addition to/with) ABus.

AB is the gold standard for things like AB remote and unique control of some critical apps.

AUM is the signal routing blank slate I find essential for getting other than app sounds in.

In the home studio I find Novation LaunchContr XL the closest thing to the Ableton FX set up. Takes a minute to set up in AUM exactly right but it is the closest thing I can suggest for your request.

If your Ableton signal is coming from an audio interface AUM gives specific options for signal parameters.

I find 4 signals(1 stereo, 2 mono(hard panned), and one stereo for the FX. The first 3 Chan only using mild compression in the best volume of sound for gain staging in conjunction with iOS audio quality.

I have found better signal quality by having individual outs to Loopy (AB output app) in lieu of bussing signals over many Chan in AUM.

That’s just me though.