Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Headphones monitoring and general

can anyone recommend decent monitoring headphones under £100. Ideally decent enough sound to double as occasional cans for general listening

Comments

• I’ve got hold of some shure se 215 in ear monitors which cost £70 on eBay...I am hearing things I never heard before, and can hear EQ changes much better than on my old £30 sennheiser iems.
    Single driver, double is better I think but they are over £100.... for £70 the se215’s are pretty good I think.

• edited January 2019

If you're willing to pay a little bit more look into the in-ear monitors of FLC Technologies: the FLC8n, FLC8d or the predecessor FLC8s. They're not very well known but they have a very respectable status in the "underground" audiophile community. Just look up the reviews and be surprised :)

I actually have the FLC8s for sale right now (switched to the FLC8n), I'm willing to sell it for a price that matches your budget if you're interested!

• edited January 2019

Love my se215 iems too! I have a nice Superlux HD681EVO too and plan to buy very soon ATH-M50X which are classics.

• +1 for the Audio Technicas. Also consider the ATH-M40 which are a little kinder on the wallet and whilst obviously not as good as the 50s they’re still really good and are (well) under £100.

• @SheffieldBleep said:
    can anyone recommend decent monitoring headphones under £100. Ideally decent enough sound to double as occasional cans for general listening

I swear by Sony MDR-7506. Typically $80 here and surprisingly True and built to last.

• Thanks all slightly leaning towards the 50x although was tempted by the SHures but they seem to have really mixed reviews

• Thanks for that. Bit too fiddly for my likes I’m afraid but appreciate the advice

@balph said:
    If you're willing to pay a little bit more look into the in-ear monitors of FLC Technologies: the FLC8n, FLC8d or the predecessor FLC8s. They're not very well known but they have a very respectable status in the "underground" audiophile community. Just look up the reviews and be surprised :)

I actually have the FLC8s for sale right now (switched to the FLC8n), I'm willing to sell it for a price that matches your budget if you're interested!

• @Proppa said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

I swear by Sony MDR-7506. Typically $80 here and surprisingly True and built to last.

+1. Recently got some and they’re fantastic for monitoring, And I like them for music in general. Wirecutter agrees:

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-150-over-ear-headphones/

• Sony MDR-7506 gets my vote.

• @Proppa said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

+1 had mine forever!

• 7506, swear by em, could never switch headphones at this point. On my 4th pair now from over the years

• +1 Sony MDR-7506

• yep... +1 for Sony MDR-7506's
    on my 2nd pair. Great set of cans for recording and mixing. They don't color the sound while still sounding true and pure. Plus, when creating a final mix they somehow provide the closest thing to a mix that you'd create using monitors.

• edited January 2019

I’ve got Audiotechnica, sennheiser, and AKG, for the money I would recommend even entry level AKG, you don’t need to spend a lot in all honesty. If you got a pair of AKG 240’s they will last forever and are solid to work with. Just don’t ever trust a headphone mix, always double check your work on speakers you know, they don’t have to be montitors ,
    Just a stereo pair you know very well.

• KRK KNS-8400. Detailed highs and designed to translate well to the popular Rokit series monitors.

• I'm all in for the ATH-M50x's...
    ... but it's also good to have a pair of open-back head-phones for more 'airy' sound :)

• edited January 2019

I found the AKG K501 the closest thing to resemble good monitor speakers.
    They have a precise bass, but no boom at all and a very detailed soundstage.
    (probably not your cup of tea if you enjoy deep club sounds)
    These cans are very durable and I use to buy them 2nd hand plus a set of earpad replacements (all K x01) fit, summing up to 80-100€.

I'd switch to a 1st generation K701, but these are hard to find because the only difference is the color of the package (it was muddy green/grey versus the current black scheme).
    Tried a 2nd generation K701 (more bass, more entertaining), but since I'm used to the 'classic' soundprint found it hard to mix under them.

If it's your first AKG K pair this may not matter at all.
    They are very different from Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser, but that's mainly based on how much you're familiar with a certain set - not a question of build quality.
    ps: young folks with good hearing may get annoyed by those AKG models mid/high details, for me they compensate quite well some age based hearing loss.

• The Sony MDR quality/ratio is awesome, but I get tired replacing earcupssand I bought a pait of ATH-M50. But I use the Sony sometimes.

• @Telefunky said:
    ps: young folks with good hearing may get annoyed by those AKG models mid/high details, for me they compensate quite well some age based hearing loss.

Great point

• edited January 2019

@Proppa said:

@SheffieldBleep said:

When I had asked some years ago on GearSlutz, a few people recommended these. I have a couple sets and they are very good. Very flat response. I mean, it is a whole different experience than open air monitors of course, but I don't ever hear anything I need to mix differently with them versus the good monitors.