Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

New Track: “Go With The Flow” - Waves Flow Motion FM Synth

edited January 2019 in Creations

Backstory: I recently picked up the new Waves Flow Motion FM Synth on sale. It is an impressive-looking hybrid FM/subtractive/step-sequencer synth that I've been hearing about in the works for some time, so I was delighted to score it a killer holiday-deal price. But I was initially not vibing with the sounds and interface.

However, I have this new rule for myself that I must use every new product I buy in at least one track, so with some perseverance, and 1000 presets + tweaking, I was able to coax some love out of it.

All sounds come from Waves Flow Motion FM Synth (except drums, guitar, and vocal samples).

Comments

• Nice track!
    Are there really 1000 presets with Flow??🤪

• I love that Bass sound and the Synth Solo near the end.

• DAMN. That is a tasty groove! B)

• Most excellent groove

• @J_B1GS said:
    Nice track!

Thanks!

Are there really 1000 presets with Flow??🤪

Yes. And I must have combed through hundreds of them to find the 3-4 used in this track. Most of them are quite extreme and somewhat harsh and metallic and throbby -- which can be just the right thing in some situations, I suppose. But, I wasn't connecting with a lot of it.

However, I have this rule that if I buy it, I have to use it, so I just kept slogging away until I found something that worked. So, I don't know if this is going "with the flow" or "against the grain," but I can now rest assured that I've done my due diligence in terms of my investment.

Many of the plugins and other sounds, I used here were also first timers, like the drums come from a sample pack I purchased last year but never used, and the vocal samples come from Maschine (which is a vast and massively underutilized piece of kit for me)... Even the guitar, I pulled out my wah wah pedal for the first time in over 10 years.

Sometimes, you have to confront and deal with the unfamilar and just "go with the flow"!

• @aquasloth said:
    DAMN. That is a tasty groove! B)

Thanks, aquasloth.

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:
    Most excellent groove

Thanks, Blipsford B.

• Cool. Keep up the funk!

• Listening again after work with my cans this time. Funky solo and nice stereo work. Awesome over all funky feel!

• edited January 2019

I love this wonderful funky groove. Excellent job, Lady A! New profile pic looks cool too. 🤗🇬🇧

• edited January 2019

Where's Huggy Bear ? :D

A nice track overall, love the laid back groove. The sounds are decent enough, they suit the track (or the track suits them depending how you look at it). I think the lead sound on the awesome improv solo is my favourite.
    The guitar chops took me back more than 25 years to when I used wah A LOT
    Not a huge fan of 'floating' vocals in general, that panning makes it harder to get them to sit just right and to me they are masking the lead a touch at the start of the solo, take this with a pinch of salt as it did take 5 listens for me to decide this :)

• @pichi said:
    Cool. Keep up the funk!

Thanks, pichi!

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:
    Listening again after work with my cans this time. Funky solo and nice stereo work. Awesome over all funky feel!

Thx! I kinda live in cans, and have for decades, so most of my stuff has an added can/pan benefit.

• @Spidericemidas said:
    I love this wonderful funky groove. Excellent job, Lady A! New profile pic looks cool too. 🤗🇬🇧

Thx, Spidericemidas! Is Ice Midas like King Midas, only everything he touches turns to ice? Eight legs at a time too, I imagine! :D

• Very cool track! Brava!

i also purchased Flow but I haven"t had time to dive in yet. Wonderful to hear your work with Flow - it has inspired me to explore the synth sooner rather than later.

• Ha! You’d have to ask my mate about that, as he came up with that label during one of his ‘altered states’!
    Apparantly, according to him, I weave a lot of things together in a cool calm aloof manner, which usually turn out gold when I turn my hand to them.
    Well, I hope that’s reflective of my new Mitosynth soundbank I’m about to drop on the Forum!
    The name had a nice ring to it anyway, so I kept it ever since! 😉

• edited January 2019

@AndyPlankton said:

A nice track overall, love the laid back groove. The sounds are decent enough, they suit the track (or the track suits them depending how you look at it). I think the lead sound on the awesome improv solo is my favourite.
    Not a huge fan of 'floating' vocals in general, that panning makes it harder to get them to sit just right and to me they are masking the lead a touch at the start of the solo, take this with a pinch of salt as it did take 5 listens for me to decide this :)

Thx for some interesting comments. I was quite ambivalent about using the vocal samples at all and was just going to have synth lead throughout. In the end I decided, on a lark, to leave them in, because they just sounded kinda unpredictable or different..Ha! Probably the most resourceful mileage milked out of two 1-second samples in history! I threw the rotary effect on there because I like how it made them even more sick, and somewhat organy, but the panning was perhaps an unintended side effect (literally a side to side effect). I don’t really think of them as vocals, but more of a vocally synth lead, which is then handed off to the actual synth lead who sneaks in and takes over for the end.

Blame it all on Huggy Bear! :p

• edited January 2019

@Spidericemidas said:
    Ha! You’d have to ask my mate about that, as he came up with that label during one of his ‘altered states’!
    Apparantly, according to him, I weave a lot of things together in a cool calm aloof manner, which usually turn out gold when I turn my hand to them.
    Well, I hope that’s reflective of my new Mitosynth soundbank I’m about to drop on the Forum!
    The name had a nice ring to it anyway, so I kept it ever since! 😉

In terms of super villains, I always picture something like Doctor Octopus meets Mr. Freeze (if I may be forgiven for mixing Marvel and DC metaphors).

Believe me, nothing is worse than being stuck with a name like “Lady App-titude” :#

Looking forward to the new soundbank! B) :)

• @Lady_App_titude said:

@AndyPlankton said:

Thx for some interesting comments. I was quite ambivalent about using the vocal samples at all and was just going to have synth lead throughout. In the end I decided, on a lark, to leave them in, because they just sounded kinda unpredictable or different..Ha! Probably the most resourceful mileage milked out of two 1-second samples in history! I threw the rotary effect on there because I like how it made them even more sick, and somewhat organy, but the panning was perhaps an intended side effect (literally a side to side effect). I don’t really think of them as vocals, but more of a vocally synth lead, which is then handed off to the actual synth lead who sneaks in and takes over for the end.

Blame it all on Huggy Bear! :p

hahaha, he has a lot to answer for !

I guess this shows how perspective changes things....I heard them as masking the lead, you wanted that effect to get the lead to take over from them :)

• @Kikoblu said:
    Very cool track! Brava!

i also purchased Flow but I haven"t had time to dive in yet. Wonderful to hear your work with Flow - it has inspired me to explore the synth sooner rather than later.

Thx, Kikoblu!

Incidentally, “I purchased ______ but haven’t had time to dive in yet” is why I had to force myself to adopt the rule!

You bought it, you break it! — that’s my new rule! :D

(hashtag)GANUS (Gear Acquired Never Used Syndrome)

• edited January 2019

@AndyPlankton said:

I guess this shows how perspective changes things....I heard them as masking the lead, you wanted that effect to get the lead to take over from them :)

Yes, I was picturing the lead as a kind of “obligato” behind the “vocalist” when it first comes in. That’s why the initial lead licks are kind of simple and portamento-y and slippery and repetitive at first and take time to get going, until it eventually steps into the spotlight on its own and takes over at the end.

Yeah, I actually spend time thinking about these kind of arranging concepts. Whether I actually succeed in pulling off such concepts is hit or miss, but... :D I really should hire a better arranger than Huggy Bear!

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    In terms of super villains, I always picture something like Doctor Octopus meets Mr. Freeze (if I may be forgiven for mixing Marvel and DC metaphors).

Believe me, nothing is worse than being stuck with a name like “Lady App-titude” :#

Looking forward to the new soundbank! B) :)

Hmm...I like the super villian idea! Loved Doc Oc especially!
    I always thought your moniker was a pretty cool play on the three words, aptitude, app and attitude. All relevant and descriptive of your awesome music making!

My Mitosynth bank will be ok if you’re a total ambient soundscape-head! But if not, give them a go anyway if you have Mitosynth, they’re FREE, and very good for noodling on for relaxation! 🙏🙏

• Great track.. Smooth. Love the pauses around 1:12.
    Keep it up cheers

• This is so...so....so... Pro!

• Brilliant track love it.

• Put the cans on this time and listened again - really feeling this! Nice track 🤩 ! Purchased Flow as well based off your demo and the $29 sale price didn’t hurt the decision to buy.
    Now I have to start demoing the presets and not let this turn into a GANUS for me.

Keep up the Nice work my Ladyiness !!

• @Lady_App_titude said:
    Yeah, I actually spend time thinking about these kind of arranging concepts. Whether I actually succeed in pulling of such concepts is hit or miss, but... :D I really should hire a better arranger than Huggy Bear!

Nah...I need to re-learn how to listen to something without trying to analyze it :D

• @RUncELL said:
    Great track.. Smooth. Love the pauses around 1:12.
    Keep it up cheers

Thanks, RUncELL!

• @LinearLineman said:
    This is so...so....so... Pro!

Thx, LL! :)

• @Jumpercollins said:
    Brilliant track love it.

Thanks, Jumper!