Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Mastering. Someone persuade me to buy Grand Finale

I have Lurrsen Mastering, fab filters in Auria, Audio Mastering, Final Touch and T Racks on Mac (Which is main thing I use). I know Grand Finale is massively simplified approach but I think I might benefit from that. Anyone out there with lots of options and Grand Finale is a go to?

Comments

• @RedSkyLullaby said:
    I have Lurrsen Mastering, fab filters in Auria, Audio Mastering, Final Touch and T Racks on Mac (Which is main thing I use). I know Grand Finale is massively simplified approach but I think I might benefit from that. Anyone out there with lots of options and Grand Finale is a go to?

The only reason I think you might be glad to have it is just for speed when you've got to throw something up fast. If you use it and it's mixdown to MP4 format option the SoundCloud uploads are blazing fast (did it really throw out that many bits) so I appreciate the speed it offers and the best chance it will fix my levels etc to something consistent. I suspect if you give SoundCloud a wave it has to convert it to MP4 anyway so it appears on the site faster too I think... maybe it's processing as it uploads and that's why the uploads just scream.

• Grand Finale is pretty good, but if you already have Lurrsen then I would suggest that you that can be a simple all-in-one black box that's easy to use and gets good results. Certainly the top 3 options on iOS IMO are Pro L2, Lurrsen and Grand Finale (in that order).

I did a comparison of all the main mastering apps a few months ago, with samples:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/26025/ios-mastering-options-comparison/p1

Pro L2 is the best option IMO because it's the most transparent limiter, and it also has the best metering of any of the mastering apps by far. However Lurrssen and Grand Finale can also deliver decent results.

I would also suggest that there is a weird mystique around mastering, but the sole purpose of mastering is to ready your track for a given platform. It's not that hard :) And these days it generally means mastering to -14 LUFS for streaming platforms (unless you are also releasing a CD). EQ and dynamics etc... are really things that should be taken care of at the mix stage, mastering is just for final delivery.

I made a video a few months back that shows how you can master to -14 LUFS in Pro L2:

• edited January 2019

I'll just add that my comment above really only applies if you're planning to do the mastering yourself. For anyone who pays for mastering then of course an additional opinion/extra set of ears when it comes to EQ and dynamics etc can always be helpful (especially from a professional working in an acoustically treated room with great monitoring).

But if you're mastering your own work then there's no need to reinvent the wheel. If you're happy with the mix, mastering should just be preparation for the target platform, not an extra stage where you tinker with mix decisions. IMO anyway, if YMMV then so be it :)

• @richardyot said:
    Grand Finale is pretty good, but if you already have Lurrsen then I would suggest that you that can be a simple all-in-one black box that's easy to use and gets good results. Certainly the top 3 options on iOS IMO are Pro L2, Lurrsen and Grand Finale (in that order).

I did a comparison of all the main mastering apps a few months ago, with samples:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/26025/ios-mastering-options-comparison/p1

Pro L2 is the best option IMO because it's the most transparent limiter, and it also has the best metering of any of the mastering apps by far. However Lurrssen and Grand Finale can also deliver decent results.

I would also suggest that there is a weird mystique around mastering, but the sole purpose of mastering is to ready your track for a given platform. It's not that hard :) And these days it generally means mastering to -14 LUFS for streaming platforms (unless you are also releasing a CD). EQ and dynamics etc... are really things that should be taken care of at the mix stage, mastering is just for final delivery.

I made a video a few months back that shows how you can master to -14 LUFS in Pro L2:

Thanks I’ll take a look at that later. Lurssen is nice but I find the presets very similar and there is not much you can do to adjust.
    Like you said getting the final mix right is key, and I’m already ridiculously obsessive about that to where I think I need simplicity in Mastering stage.
    I did a similar comparison thing in sane track a while back and ended up liking T Racks best but I think I just need to experiment a bit more with a proQ>proC/MB>ProL setup in Auria

• Like you said getting the final mix right is key, and I’m already ridiculously obsessive about that to where I think I need simplicity in Mastering stage.
    I did a similar comparison thing in sane track a while back and ended up liking T Racks best but I think I just need to experiment a bit more with a proQ>proC/MB>ProL setup in Auria

I agree with your plan. I bought Grand Finale, and like it. But if you’re obsessively trying to get the best results, you’ll probably end up most satisfied with all the nuances you can get from the Fabs. I went back to Auria fab-Mastering this year because the others sounded more quick-cut and less sophisticated to my ears. When I find an Eq or L2 setting I like in Auria I save it as a preset, that way I can improve from there as I get more practice. Good luck, your music is fabulous, so trust yourself!

• @NoiseHorse said:

Like you said getting the final mix right is key, and I’m already ridiculously obsessive about that to where I think I need simplicity in Mastering stage.

I agree with your plan. I bought Grand Finale, and like it. But if you’re obsessively trying to get the best results, you’ll probably end up most satisfied with all the nuances you can get from the Fabs. I went back to Auria fab-Mastering this year because the others sounded more quick-cut and less sophisticated to my ears. When I find an Eq or L2 setting I like in Auria I save it as a preset, that way I can improve from there as I get more practice. Good luck, your music is fabulous, so trust yourself!

Excellent and generous advice.

• Unless you need an iPhone mastering option, I'd personally just stick with the Fab stuff if you already have them.

Also, if you're uploading to Soundcloud don't convert to a compressed format first. Soundcloud will just transcode it when it converts it to a 128kbps MP3 anyway, better to upload a wav file.

• I use Grand Finale for quick mastering when I plan to upload a work-in-progress to Facebook/SoundCloud or any master intended for streaming. It's a universal app afterall. I use the Fabfilters when I need to transparently squeeze the shit out of an EDM track intended for DJs so I can automate the "out" knob of Pro-Q2 to artificially bring back some semblance of dynamics, or for any -14 LuFS master where subtly automating the out knob of Pro-Q2 is needed. So..

90% of the times is GF
    10% is FF in Auria

Just how I use things, and hopefully you choose what works best for you. :smile: Cheers!

• Doesn’t anyone count the audio mastering app called “Audio Mastering” as an audio mastering app anymore? I’ve used it a while back in the past and apart from (at the time, on my iPad 2) not being able to read a lot of the subminiature text (which is a definite bug and must be rectified) I thought it sounded quite okay.

• edited January 2019

Thanks for responding everyone. Hoping to get away from T Racks as that is only thing I depart from the iPad for these days

• @u0421793 said:
    Doesn’t anyone count the audio mastering app called “Audio Mastering” as an audio mastering app anymore? I’ve used it a while back in the past and apart from (at the time, on my iPad 2) not being able to read a lot of the subminiature text (which is a definite bug and must be rectified) I thought it sounded quite okay.

I have that also. Used it a few times for quick master if I don’t have access to Mac

• @RedSkyLullaby said:

You can download the demo for Mac and take it for a spin yourself, the sound drops out but you can still get a decent idea. It crashes when I run it in MPC desktop, but seems stable in Logic Pro X. Im still on the fence myself, Id like to know how stable it runs in different IOS Daws.

• @RedSkyLullaby GrandFinale is my go-to on both iOS and desktop: it's become a part of my production chain from the start of any given project. The key for me is to get it set up dependably (i.e.: mostly set up always the same within a few small tweaks) - that means switching off Most of GF's functions and keeping the few choice key settings On and thus becoming an "invisible" player within my Master channel. I've tried tons of other options but somehow GrandFinale always ends up being my favorite sounding catch-all in the audio chain.

• tjatja
    edited January 2019

In some recent thread, I listed the mastering Apps which I deleted and partly, why I deleted them.
    Cannot find that thread anymore :/

I let Limiter, NoLimits and FAC Maxima installed, but deleted Audio Mastering, Final Touch and Grand Finale.

I also have some Fabfilters in Auria Pro, which will stay of course and the Audio Mastering 2 plugins (4 AU), which are not yet deleted.

Would have hold Grand Finale, but the Limiter setting is fixed at 0dB (where I would use -0.1, -0.3 or -1.0 instead) and while most settings can be changed reliable and controlable, the Input and Output dB settings just cannot - after endless tries to set a specific value and be able to set this value again, I decided that I would not use the App anymore.

If the values could be set in a better way (we had a topic about better buttons!) or at least be entered manually, this App is.... problematic in use!

• The Pro L2 is really golden. I'd stick with it. I've been amazed at how transparent it can be even with challenging mixes.

• @u0421793 said:
    Doesn’t anyone count the audio mastering app called “Audio Mastering” as an audio mastering app anymore? I’ve used it a while back in the past and apart from (at the time, on my iPad 2) not being able to read a lot of the subminiature text (which is a definite bug and must be rectified) I thought it sounded quite okay.

Maybe I’m missing something but it sounds little more than a gain boost to me. I mean, I hear the difference from setting to setting but it’s just underwhelming. 6 band EQ was a nice addition though.
    Wish Grand Finale was AU.

• edited January 2019

https://audio-mastering-studio.blogspot.com/2013/05/about.html
    This ...number one choice for me - yes the UI needs updating but Igor is a scientist of sound and his Master Record Tape app etc
    I emailed him recently and said he plans AU as its IAA as of now

• @Ben said:

@u0421793 said:

Maybe I’m missing something but it sounds little more than a gain boost to me. I mean, I hear the difference from setting to setting but it’s just underwhelming. 6 band EQ was a nice addition though.
    Wish Grand Finale was AU.

Why does it need to be an AU? I can't see the need to be able to skirt one extra home button press and one tap on the GF icon to do what it does.

• @richardyot said:

Thanks for sharing this, and ALL your other posts on Auria over the years. Incredibly helpful, I've learnt so much from your posts and tips/tricks and I currently can't recall ever saying "Thanks!" properly. Sorry about that, but hey, better late than never, right? Thanks! :)

• Far from an expert here, but I just concluded a search for mastering solutions that led me to getting Ozone 8 for desktop and Grand Finale for iPhone.

As you are probably aware Grand Finale does have it’s limitations, multiband compressors for instance with no way to set their range as the ranges are fixed to low, mid low, etc.

My own feeling though is that mastering is not all that different from the mix itself, in that the different tools you use will lead to different results. People may cry blasphemy at treating the mastering stage in such a manner, but truth be told that’s the way it’s always been, with different studios providing for different feels for recordings for as long as recordings have been in existence.

As such I think Grand Finale or any other mastering tools should be viewed as having a certain flavor instead of being viewed as right or wrong.

As alluded to above Grand Finale does have things fixed to a degree, which yes provides for speed, but also a certain flavor as well. In my humble and admittedly not all that informed opinion, there is enough there though to make the limitations not make Grand Finale taste bland.

• @hellquist said:

@richardyot said:

Thanks for sharing this, and ALL your other posts on Auria over the years. Incredibly helpful, I've learnt so much from your posts and tips/tricks and I currently can't recall ever saying "Thanks!" properly. Sorry about that, but hey, better late than never, right? Thanks! :)

My pleasure - glad to have been of help :)

• @stormbeats said:
    https://audio-mastering-studio.blogspot.com/2013/05/about.html
    This ...number one choice for me - yes the UI needs updating but Igor is a scientist of sound and his Master Record Tape app etc
    I emailed him recently and said he plans AU as its IAA as of now

This is interesting news...I wonder if he will do the whole app as an AU or if we will get each of the components as separate AU's as this would allow us to change the order and to be able to do things like EQ/Comp/EQ...currently the order of the components is fixed.