Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Behringer UMC 404 HD issues

I currently have 4 audio/midi interfaces Akai EIE, NI Komplete 6, Zoom U24 and Behringer UMC 404 HD. I’ve been going crazy building custom diy enclosures for playing live and to try to find the ultimate solution for it in a compact form with 4 in 4 out audio and midi.

The behringer UMC 404 HD was my latest interface to try and I have to say I’m rather disappointed. It is already boxed ready to be returned as it would at times fail to produce audio and I’d get occasional stuttering in the audio.

Issue 1: no audio despite inputs being recognised by software (Audiobus/AUM etc)

Issue 2: occasional stutter in audio

Is anybody else using this line of interfaces?

Have you encountered any issues?

If so, have you identified tha cause and solved the problem?

Cheers

Comments

• edited May 2018

Which iPad, which iOS version, what apps, what host, what polyphony ...?
    Or does it stutter even when using only one low-cpu synth?
    Can you record in, say, Cubasis/Auria/Audio Evolution?

• Worked fine with iPhone 6s and iPad Air. iOS 10.3.3

• @rs2000 said:
    Which iPad, which iOS version, what apps, what host, what polyphony ...?
    Or does it stutter even when using only one low-cpu synth?
    Can you record in, say, Cubasis/Auria/Audio Evolution?

All latest sir. It has nothing to do with cpu or latency as all works fine with 3 other similar interfaces i own.

• edited May 2018

I have the 404HD interface, no problems here. Is there a pattern or specific circumstance that causes issues?

Only weird (but consistent) quirk is that I have to manually set volume with iPad volume buttons. Otherwise, as you say it sometimes has no audio output.

[12.9 ipad pro 2015; iOS 11]

• Different versions of iOS devices work fully, in part, or not at all, with different sound cards. This I think is due either to the difference in iOS versions and also even the build of the app using it.

• edited May 2018

@knewspeak said:
    Different versions of iOS devices work fully, in part, or not at all, with different sound cards. This I think is due either to the difference in iOS versions and also even the build of the app using it.

If this is the case than IOS music is in massive trouble.

I’ve been using Akai EIE for the last 5 years and I’ve never had any issues with any of my ipads: Ipad 4, air 1, air 2 and now IPad Pro 10.5 or with their respective operating systems.

The only reason I’m wanting to upgrade is the physical weight and size but maybe I should just keep it and maybe buy another as a backup. Ironically I just sold my backup one to get the Behringer.

• @supadom said:

@knewspeak said:
    Different versions of iOS devices work fully, in part, or not at all, with different sound cards. This I think is due either to the difference in iOS versions and also even the build of the app using it.

If this is the case than IOS music is in massive trouble.

I’ve been using Akai EIE for the last 5 years and I’ve never had any issues with any of my ipads: Ipad 4, air 1, air 2 and now IPad Pro 10.5 or with their respective operating systems.

The only reason I’m wanting to upgrade is the physical weight and size but maybe I should just keep it and maybe buy another as a backup. Ironically I just sold my backup one to get the Behringer.

I don't think it's a massive problem yet, but just because someone uses a sound card with a certain version of iOS on a iDevice doesn't absolutely guarantee that it will work with all iDevices. Maybe this is what is happening with the Behringer you've got, not working on your device and yet for others it's working fine, maybe because they're different devices or iOS versions. In my case it was an old Lexicon Omega a fellow member couldn't get working with the latest Pros, so I dug mine out to test and yes, it didn't work. So I tested it on all my iPad's, with differing results on each device, only working fully on the original iPad 1.

• there's got to be something about "Class-compliant" USB interfaces that has some room for implementing thing differently or incorrectly. It is strange how some interfaces work differently from others and even work differently across iOS versions.

For sure the 404HD has something weird with volume control. Now I always set it up, then increase the volume (with iPad volume buttons) to 2 notches below max. From there audio output consistently works, and volume knobs on the interface work fine.

Supadom's issue with occasional stuttering is something I've never experienced with my 404HD. I guess it is too late if it's packed up to be returned, but I would be curious about what is causing this.

• @Hmtx said:
    there's got to be something about "Class-compliant" USB interfaces that has some room for implementing thing differently or incorrectly. It is strange how some interfaces work differently from others and even work differently across iOS versions.

This is what I have found from my limited testing.

What was weird and surprisingly funny I tested using a few DAWs, but when using Cubasis, on the Mini Retina and 10.5 Pro the Lexicon was recognised as a Mac Audio device, but on my iPad 4 it was a WINDOWS Audio device.

• @supadom. I had the same problem in regard to issue #1 and ended up sending it back. I found the same volume issue that @Hmtx did but still was unable to get audio through certain apps. Midi controller worked, every bass sim app but none of the vocal apps. I gave it every chance for life but no go.
    Air2, latest iOS.

• I am having an issue with UMC404HD also connected to iOS. My issue is level is so low, it only gets to -48db or so, even though the red clip light on behringer is showing.

That is when I connect via a usb hub to lightning-usb3 connector. WHen I connect directly to lightning-usb3 without hub, the signal is great. I have sporadically gotten it to work with hub as well....I'm thinking it's the order I power cycle?

Would really like it to work with a hub so I can connect one additional device to the hub (this worked with a Tascam interface previously).

• My UMC404HD works great with my iPad Pro running the latest version of iOS. Really no problems to speak of here in six months of use. (I have a UMC202HD which also works well). Perhaps a defective unit? Or bad USB cable? (Amazing how often that’s the case...)

• As Tovokas mentions, a new high quality cable can work wonders.

I do have an issue with the UMC 1820 where i have to power off and on the unit for ipad to recoginse the audio device. Once its recognised it works.

If anyone has a solution for that i would be grateful.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • @d4d0ug said:

@audiobumss said:
    I am having an issue with UMC404HD also connected to iOS. My issue is level is so low, it only gets to -48db or so, even though the red clip light on behringer is showing.

That is when I connect via a usb hub to lightning-usb3 connector. WHen I connect directly to lightning-usb3 without hub, the signal is great. I have sporadically gotten it to work with hub as well....I'm thinking it's the order I power cycle?

Would really like it to work with a hub so I can connect one additional device to the hub (this worked with a Tascam interface previously).

I’ve experienced ‘low volume’ on my new UMC404hd, and through experimentation found that if I plug into my hub in a different order ? The volume is back up to expected levels... going to investigate a bit more,

Cool, thanks for the update. I’ve returned mine but would be more than happy to get it again since I’ve built a custom box for it.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Im considering getting one of these.
    Any updates or recent experiences with these issues?

• I don’t have the 404, but the bigger 8 channel one. There’s a very tricky thing about it that I had to figure out when I first got it. I still don’t understand why it was this way, but it definitely stumped me with the no audio thing. Turns out I had to turn up the volume on the iPad. For some reason plugging it in caused the iPad volume to zero out, and I truly haven’t ever had an interface that needed me to try to affect the volume with my iPad buttons. My 8 does though. See if this might be your problem too with the 404 maybe.

• @boone51 said:
    I don’t have the 404, but the bigger 8 channel one. There’s a very tricky thing about it that I had to figure out when I first got it. I still don’t understand why it was this way, but it definitely stumped me with the no audio thing. Turns out I had to turn up the volume on the iPad. For some reason plugging it in caused the iPad volume to zero out, and I truly haven’t ever had an interface that needed me to try to affect the volume with my iPad buttons. My 8 does though. See if this might be your problem too with the 404 maybe.

Yep, same issue with the UMC404HD. But its not 100%. Sometimes it will work great without any fiddling with the iPad volume buttons.

And other times I have to add a 24db gain to the input channels just to get a decent volume level on the inputs.

Overall, the interface is pretty solid and sounds great, but it has these quirks. I haven't been bothered to look for firmware updates to see if Behringer has fixed some of this.

• edited January 2019

@Jes I love mine. Had it for several months and besides the above mentioned quirks(ipad volume) its great.

• Thank everyone!
    @Hmtx is the gain on the inputs problem associated with being plugged into a usb hub or when you are plugged directly into the cck?
    Also, does anyone have a problem of low output levels with this interface?

• hmm, not sure about that @jes I always use a powered USB hub, so I don't know if the problem is fixed by going direct to the CCK.

no problems with low output levels.

• I just ordered a UMC404HD and it should be arriving tinnitus. I'll let you know if I have any issues

• I've been so close to making this purchase. $150 for a 4/4 is great. Only thing that kills me is it used to be $99 before September!

• ha, yep I got it for $99. It really is a great unit, the inputs are clean, and it overall seems very well-built. The quirks are small enough to not really bother me.

• I paid $130 for a bundle with some extra cables. If it works, it's still a smokin' deal. I'll probably do an unboxing/setup vid as I did with my Model D....

• @Daveypoo said:
    I just ordered a UMC404HD and it should be arriving tinnitus. I'll let you know if I have any issues

Such as a ringing in the ears perhaps?

• @Jes said:

@Daveypoo said:
    I just ordered a UMC404HD and it should be arriving tinnitus. I'll let you know if I have any issues

Is that what that is?!?!?!?!

;)

F*@&;ing autocorrect....

• No problems here. Faulty unit? RMA?

• @Daveypoo said:

@Jes said:

@Daveypoo said:

Is that what that is?!?!?!?!

;)

F*@&;ing autocorrect....

hahaha, you wont be getting any tinnitus from this unit if you get the same low level output that others are saying :D
    Very interested in the outcome of any testing...I've had my eyes on the 8 channel version for a while now but have held off on pulling the trigger due to these issues peeps are reporting.