Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN is finally out!!

Comments

• @JuanB
    You are rockin’.
    Thank you for the awesome support here!
    <3

• Great, seems much better nice work :).

Only issue I see at the moment is when I hide the Audiobus sidebar it disappears completely. The sidebar also appears quite large on a 12.9 so might mean something is wrong in the AB implementation not sure. Maybe @Michael could shed a light on this.

Getting deeper into Aphelian, I wonder if also different speed divisions for the different orbits is also on your list? @JuanB :)

• Do the moons do anything other than act as controllers for synth parameters you decide to automate?

• Updated, and had my first crash (standalone, no MIDI out) for ages...oh the irony! Rebooting...seemed to do the trick last time...

• greatness!
    +1 for more time divisions
    also Swing 🤞🏻

• @JuanB I'm confused as to why you named the orbits in a zigzag. Top left is orbit 1, top right is 2, bottom right is 4?, and bottom left is 3?

Can we get either clockwise or counterclockwise naming please.

Much love!

• interesting.
    The way it is makes total sense to me
    1L 2R
    3L 4R

• @Mayo said:

+1

• I’ll just have to retire my brain then 😜😅

How about ... in song view making each scene (the letter labeled bits) on the arrangement part able to be relocated via drag n drop. Otherwise it’s pencil and paper time or starting from scratch. Bit of a pain in the butt after you’ve got more than a half dozen put down. The insert after is cool but won’t help you BEFORE the first slot.

@JuanB you guys did a great job with the update. I’m still having problems getting it to record in AUM. I have external synths in AUM loaded and the play just fine in scene mode. The second I try and use song mode to record either no sound or it repeatedly disconnects from AUM. Reloaded and restarting doesn’t help. Ideas?

Enough complaining here’s a ditty

• @Prog1967 said:
    Please a manual or more tutorial videos. I have been able to get some interesting things with Aphelian but it seems that everything has been done just by chance and that makes me not able to understand how I did it

The manual is taking shape! I hope that it will be available in the next week

• @QuietBrian said:
    Visually beautiful app with a great deal of thought put into the design and concept. However, every video I have seen so far sounds like a variation of the same song, same tempo. I see people jumping through menus, changing shapes and doing so much but changing so little of the sound or the "type" of music that comes out of this app (at least to my ears!).

Yesterday I took some time to relax and jam (the programming had taken me a little away, I realized that for quite some time I did not approach the the iPad just to have fun :# ), so I guess this week I'll be able to post some songs of more diverse styles! :)

• @Carnbot said:
    I see that Ableton Link here doesn't yet have the start/stop sync option.

Is true, when we start building Aphelian, LINK didn't have the play/stop functionality. We're gonna add it soon.

• @haulin_notes said:
    Yes, I noticed the synth screen is jam packed full of goodies! 🎛🎚🎚😄
    Don’t know if such a thing is possible or easily doable in the language this app was written... but as you’ve probably noticed, some synths (VPS Avenger for instance) indicate modulation amounts with a colored moving “ring” around the knob being modulated. Just theoretical wishful thinking for features on my part!

I understand, it's a nice feature, I like filter modulation too!
    I think that it could be done with a very fast moon... maybe the moons should accept velocities under 1 beat.

The depth of Aphelian seems to be like the ocean. Still swimming on the surface. Yet it is extremely intuitive and not confusing to someone like me who can be swallowed by the whales of arcane complexity. 🐳

Tank you very much!
    :) :) :)

• @Trueyorky said:

Click “clear” you can see in the settings pop up box and that will remove that controller.

Yes!
    When the controllers exceds the showable rows in the list, this action lacks feedback. Maybe it need a counter in the top.

• @Trueyorky said:
    @JuanB quick play with 1.03 update and MIDI with scene changes looks like it is fixed. Thank you :)

Thanks to you, @Trueyorky, you showed me where I had to look :)

• @crifytosp said:
    +1 for more time divisions
    also Swing 🤞🏻

Added to the feature list

• @Carnbot said:
    Great, seems much better nice work :).

:)

Only issue I see at the moment is when I hide the Audiobus sidebar it disappears completely. The sidebar also appears quite large on a 12.9 so might mean something is wrong in the AB implementation not sure.

:# I'll work on that

Getting deeper into Aphelian, I wonder if also different speed divisions for the different orbits is also on your list? @JuanB :)

They can have different duration in beats now, but I'm thinking that they should accept infra-beat durations.
    Talking about "the list" (which in constantly growing) :) , there is and idea called "reset on note on"... and option to force a moon to restart at phase zero at each event. Added to the infra beat loop size, it can convert the moon view in an envelope generator toolbox!

:)

• @JuanB
    Is there an Init preset for the synth?
    Or should I just make and save my own?

• @audiblevideo said:
    @JuanB I'm confused as to why you named the orbits in a zigzag. Top left is orbit 1, top right is 2, bottom right is 4?, and bottom left is 3?

Can we get either clockwise or counterclockwise naming please.

@Mayo said:
    interesting.
    1L 2R
    3L 4R

During development, we had both naming conventions (clockwise vs. western reading: rows from left to right).
    The second one won (I don't remember why)

• @JuanB said:

@Trueyorky said:
    @JuanB quick play with 1.03 update and MIDI with scene changes looks like it is fixed. Thank you :)

Thanks to you, @Trueyorky, you showed me where I had to look :)

The pleasure was all mine, Aphelian is such a wonderful creation. Congrats to you and the team :)

• @JuanB said:

@Prog1967 said:
    Please a manual or more tutorial videos. I have been able to get some interesting things with Aphelian but it seems that everything has been done just by chance and that makes me not able to understand how I did it

Thank you. Aphelian is a joy to play with

• I’m happy with the improvements in stability from the first update and glad the developers are looking to squash the remaining bugs plus adding features to their list for consideration. Will dig into the manual when it’s available.

• edited January 2019

@JuanB said:

@Prog1967 said:

Excellent! Glad to hear that. Thanks for all the efforts.

Until then, could you briefly explain the difference between Notes, Notes Flow, and Flow on the sequencer page? I can hear the difference, but am not sure exactly what is going on with “Flow”. Sorry if it was mentioned before, if so please point me to it. Thanks!

(BTW, i bought Oscilab a while ago but didn’t give it a full chance. Now thanks to Aphelian, tried again and I’m starting to “get it”.)😊

• edited January 2019

I’m really loving Aphelian. One of those apps I just open up and start playing for the fun of it. Also potentially powerful. I like to hit that randomization button on the sequence and tone map until I stumble onto something I like, then shape the other orbit sequences to follow what I found from randomizing.

No real complaints or requests at this point. Only weirdness I’ve experienced is when I’ve got different orbits assigned to different midi channels... sometimes I’ll have to turn midi off/on a few times to get it to go where it’s supposed to. I think that was while being hosted though.

• Is this app actually an implementation of alchemists search for the Philosopher's Stone?

If you can figure out what on earth (or should that be what on the planets) is going on, even after watching the tutorial videos, you acquire the knowledge to transmute base metals into gold?

• @mungbeans said:
    Is this app actually an implementation of alchemists search for the Philosopher's Stone?

If you can figure out what on earth (or should that be what on the planets) is going on, even after watching the tutorial videos, you acquire the knowledge to transmute base metals into gold?

ssshhhhh! Not so loud. We’re trying to keep that a secret! As well as its ability to manifest unicorns. 🦄 But you didn’t hear that from me...

😄

• @haulin_notes said:

@mungbeans said:
    Is this app actually an implementation of alchemists search for the Philosopher's Stone?

ssshhhhh! Not so loud. We’re trying to keep that a secret! As well as its ability to manifest unicorns. 🦄 But you didn’t hear that from me...

😄

It’s real purpose is to help reverse the Mandela Effect.
    Or maybe it is to help bring about more changes to the present Timeline.

Anyway, great app!
    ;)

• @JuanB is it possible to change the speed of each of the 4 orbits.

• Nice, this opens itself up more when you change the beats for each orbit at the top panel, then you can change the speed for each orbit, effectively. Then you can create quite complex progressions on each orbit with note changes per step. Hope we still get time divisions for the orbits but this works well, except it's more difficult to get very long notes this way.