Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus 3 Midi Receiver crash AudioKit Synth One

Hello everybody. I'm very new to Audiobus so I hope I can use the proper language to describe what I am experiencing. First of all, I am using a brand new iPad (Wi-Fi, 32GB) - Space Gray (Latest Model) w/ iOS 12.1 installed, running AudioBus v 3.3. I have currently installed LayR synth (which seems to be running flawlessly) and AudioKit Synth One, which, when I launch it, it'll open, and after about 3-5 seconds, will close down and send me back to AudioBus, which now has the SynthOne icon in the Midi Receiver (bottom square) greyed out w/ a "tap to launch" message on it.

I can successfully run LayR and Synth One (and a couple others) simultaneously outside of the AudioBus app - which makes be think it is somehow related to AB3.

I hope this makes sense. Please help :smile:

Comments

• @montymccune said:
    Hello everybody. I'm very new to Audiobus so I hope I can use the proper language to describe what I am experiencing. First of all, I am using a brand new iPad (Wi-Fi, 32GB) - Space Gray (Latest Model) w/ iOS 12.1 installed, running AudioBus v 3.3. I have currently installed LayR synth (which seems to be running flawlessly) and AudioKit Synth One, which, when I launch it, it'll open, and after about 3-5 seconds, will close down and send me back to AudioBus, which now has the SynthOne icon in the Midi Receiver (bottom square) greyed out w/ a "tap to launch" message on it.

I can successfully run LayR and Synth One (and a couple others) simultaneously outside of the AudioBus app - which makes be think it is somehow related to AB3.

I hope this makes sense. Please help :smile:

Are you launching Synth One from within Audiobus 3? If so, try launching Synth One on its own before trying to add to Audiobus.

Also, you might want to power cycle your iPad if you haven't already.

• I tried both of these, still no luck :(

• I'm one of the devs of Synth One...I was able to reproduce the crash. I'm looking into it. Thanks for letting me know.

• It also happens to me on IOS 11.

• @marcussatellite said:
    I'm one of the devs of Synth One...I was able to reproduce the crash. I'm looking into it. Thanks for letting me know.

Hi @marcussatellite , I realise this is a fairly old thread but it doesn’t appear to have a resolution so I hope I can be forgiven for jumping on.

As a very happy user of Synth One, outside Audiobus 3, I was keen to use it inside in order to gain certain automation benefits (only available inside) relating to the other Apps I use together with Synth One in my live setup.

As you can imagine, I also experience the same issue as the OP, in that everything loads and runs happily BUT Synth One quickly stops and refuses to re-start.

Not good in a live setting.

I would like to continue to use Audiobus 3 so I would be very happy to hear of anything positive you may be aware of.

Kind regards, Mike

• @MikeFloutier : you might want to consider switching to an synth that is known to be reliable. Synth One is great for a free synth, but it isn’t as reliable as it could be. While the sound quality is quite good, Synth One does not have the reliability of many iOS synths.

You mention running it inside Audiobus. Just to be clear, Synth One is a standalone app and doesn’t ever actually run inside a host like Audiobus or AUM. When you load Synth One from Audiobus, it is still outside of Audiobus.

I would recommend loading Synth One manually rather than have AB launch it.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @MikeFloutier : .

Many thanks @espiegel123 , I will do that. To be honest my only benefit from running it inside AB3 was one less App to start. Having said that, AB3 requires 4 taps to launch and start a preset whereas Synth One does it all in one tap.

• @MikeFloutier said:

@espiegel123 said:

Many thanks @espiegel123 , I will do that. To be honest my only benefit from running it inside AB3 was one less App to start. Having said that, AB3 requires 4 taps to launch and start a preset whereas Synth One does it all in one tap.

You will probably be happier in the long-run with a reliable synth that can run as an AUv3.

• @espiegel123 said:

@MikeFloutier said:

@espiegel123 said:

You will probably be happier in the long-run with a reliable synth that can run as an AUv3.

Yes. If you're considering alternatives, I'd recommend DRC by Imaginando. It has a similar feature set to SynthOne and good sound. It lacks the FM, arp, and alternative tuning features of SynthOne.

• Haha, ok @espiegel123 & @uncledave I submit, I’ll give DRC a whirl. M only looking for a simple stringsy pad sound to back up my guitar. I think my favourite Synth One patch just uses Osc 1,2&Sub with judicious ADSR so should be easy to copy, I might even prefer one of their presets. 🙏