Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Aparillo update more CPU hungry?

I’ve been trying to load three instances of Aparillo in AUM, and each time they crash out as it pushes the CPU to overload on my Air 2.

One of the things I raved about when it came out, was being able to run three, even four with a load of other stuff, and no issues. Now I can only run two. Latency settings the same etc...

Bit miffed, SugarBytes.

Comments

• Not sure about an update, but the third instance crashes them all in AUM on my Pro 9.7. :/

• I’m more surprised it was that light in the first place, it seems like such a deep synth.

• @AudioGus said:
    Update?

Yeah they did one a few weeks after release, note hold option, ‘stability’ (lol), etc.

@1nsomniak said:
    I’m more surprised it was that light in the first place, it seems like such a deep synth.

That was the joy of it for me. Unlike other big synths, I loaded up three+ with no issues on release. Did four once too.

@Beathoven said:
    Not sure about an update, but the third instance crashes them all in AUM on my Pro 9.7. :/

Really, on a Pro? Blimey, I was getting 3+ on my Air 2. They’ve definitely tweaked something.

• edited January 2019

Same. I emailed SugarBytes about it and they said they would look into it, but haven't heard anything yet. I get Aparillo crashes even when just loading AUM presets that may have a couple of other different synths in them. Real frustrating. CPU goes over 100% upon loading attempt, sometimes up to 130%!

• @SilentObserver said:
    Same. I emailed SugarBytes about it and they said they would look into it, but haven't heard anything yet. I get Aparillo crashes even when just loading AUM presets that may have a couple of other different synths in them. Real frustrating. CPU goes over 100% upon loading attempt, sometimes up to 130%!

Ah, great to hear confirmation - and well done for emailing them.

Such a great synth, really annoying they've mucked this up.

• Months earlier they were really concerned if it is actually possible to run this on iOS machines. Then the new pros came out. I think it’s really powerful and hungry therefore...
    iPad Air 2 and three instances this is pretty much you can expect from it. Workaround in Cubasis using track freeze...

• edited January 2019

@david_2017 said:
    Months earlier they were really concerned if it is actually possible to run this on iOS machines. Then the new pros came out. I think it’s really powerful and hungry therefore...
    iPad Air 2 and three instances this is pretty much you can expect from it. Workaround in Cubasis using track freeze...

I could definitely run at least 4 instances when it first came out. Something happened when they last updated it as loading the third instance crashes them all.

I’m sure they’ll fix it; Sugar Bytes are usually pretty attentive when fixing problems.

Thanks @SilentObserver for emailing them.

• @david_2017 said:
    Months earlier they were really concerned if it is actually possible to run this on iOS machines. Then the new pros came out. I think it’s really powerful and hungry therefore...

Thing is it was working fine before the update - I did 4 instances in AUM along with other AU's on my Air 2 and now I can't run more than 2. So the update messed something up that was working really well.

@Beathoven said:

I could definitely run at least 4 instances when it first came out. Something happened when they last updated it as loading the third instance crashes them all.

I’m sure they’ll fix it; Sugar Bytes are usually pretty attentive when fixing problems.

Thanks @SilentObserver for emailing them.

Yep, thanks for the confirmation, hope they fix it.

• I updated, and I’m not seeing much difference in CPU hit here on iPad Air 2. But from the beginning, 3 instances of Aparillo seemed to max out in AUM. Two seems to be my limit. (But the sound is so “big” that it’s not a problem). I have noticed that with two instances running, closing the Aparillo windows reduces the CPU usage by 15% -20%. That GUI uses alot of resources, but it’s worth it!

• Just for info, I can confirm there is an issue with multiple instances across all ipads.

I just looked at my Air 2 which still has the original Aparillo installed, since I rarely use it for music anymore and haven't touched it since December.

You can just about load three at 1024 buffer but get spiking and max cpu if you send lots of midi to it, so looks as though performance wasn't great on 3/4 instances but possible-ish. Can't load 4 without glitching and can't really add any effects though.

Then I updated and the third instance crashes them. So it's definitely fried the third instance but dunno if the cpu hit is any different for remaining 2 instances though.

I can use 3 instances on Pro 12.9 17 well. But 4 seems to crash it, I emailed them a few weeks ago.

• Hmm...I can run four instances in AUM on a 2017 Pro 10.5 with no crashes and no glitches...
    However, if I then load another project all channels using Aparillo are unable to load the synth until restart AUM...

• I’ve had the same issue but I’ve blown it off since I can’t honestly find any reason for maaaaybe two of them at the same time. There’s soooo much shit going on in just one patch of this thing it hard to mix just one. Why in the world would you need 4?

Leads, arps, etc. are prob. better served by another synth anyway. This seems to be a drone/pad/bed type thing to me...

• @MonkeyDrummer said:
    I’ve had the same issue but I’ve blown it off since I can’t honestly find any reason for maaaaybe two of them at the same time. There’s soooo much shit going on in just one patch of this thing it hard to mix just one. Why in the world would you need 4?

Leads, arps, etc. are prob. better served by another synth anyway. This seems to be a drone/pad/bed type thing to me...

It’s not. I’ve got some lovely bass and mellow leads - perfect for arps - from it. Add in the mangling you can do via the Orbit section and you can build up a really wonderful thing.

Just tried opening a saved project from when it first came out, which included three Aparillos and a bunch of other AU’s - no go.

• Yeah it's very versatile and can do simple things to complex sounds, certainly 4 instances can be used well, just need to layer it properly that's all. :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:
    I’ve had the same issue but I’ve blown it off since I can’t honestly find any reason for maaaaybe two of them at the same time. There’s soooo much shit going on in just one patch of this thing it hard to mix just one. Why in the world would you need 4?

It’s not. I’ve got some lovely bass and mellow leads - perfect for arps - from it. Add in the mangling you can do via the Orbit section and you can build up a really wonderful thing.

Just tried opening a saved project from when it first came out, which included three Aparillos and a bunch of other AU’s - no go.

Yah I had the same thing with Synthmaster One. Built up a bunch projects with instances and then a couple updates later they would no longer load. A new lesson I will carry forward with iOS heavy hitter synths I guess... I guess...

• Just checked again... setting buffer size to 1024 gets me 2 instances (with GUI visible) at 40% CPU on iPad 2 Air. But if I try to load another instance, Aparillo crashes...

• @AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@MonkeyDrummer said:

Yah I had the same thing with Synthmaster One. Built up a bunch projects with instances and then a couple updates later they would no longer load. A new lesson I will carry forward with iOS heavy hitter synths I guess... I guess...

Really? Bugger, that one too :(

• It’s because of Brexit and Donald Trump.

• I did hear back that an Aparillo fix is on it's way, not sure how that'll affect all devices as they mentioned only 12.9 in the email but fingers crossed :)

• @lasselu said:
    Hmm...I can run four instances in AUM on a 2017 Pro 10.5 with no crashes and no glitches...
    However, if I then load another project all channels using Aparillo are unable to load the synth until restart AUM...

That's because of a bug in iOS regarding the way AUv3 memory allocation works and not specific to AUM. AUv3 plugins memory is sometimes not really free'd until you restart the host, leading to the plugin reaching the memory limit, making it crash/disconnect.

• @j_liljedahl said:

@lasselu said:
    Hmm...I can run four instances in AUM on a 2017 Pro 10.5 with no crashes and no glitches...

That's because of a bug in iOS regarding the way AUv3 memory allocation works and not specific to AUM. AUv3 plugins memory is sometimes not really free'd until you restart the host, leading to the plugin reaching the memory limit, making it crash/disconnect.

Does clearing a preset before loading another preset work? Or is it that the host must be restarted? Either way, frustrating!

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@lasselu said:

Does clearing a preset before loading another preset work? Or is it that the host must be restarted? Either way, frustrating!

No, the problem is exactly that clearing a preset does not free the memory of plugins. So it builds up until all instances of a plugin gets invalidated by iOS due to reaching the memory limit. There's nothing a host can do about it, unfortunately. I had hoped this iOS bug was already fixed, but maybe it isn't. If it is fixed in iOS, then there could still be bugs in an AUv3 plugin regarding memory allocation leading to the same effect, instances not actually freeing up memory resources in the plugins system process. (each plugin has one running process shared between all its instances hosted in one single host).

• @j_liljedahl said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@j_liljedahl said:

@lasselu said:

No, the problem is exactly that clearing a preset does not free the memory of plugins. So it builds up until all instances of a plugin gets invalidated by iOS due to reaching the memory limit. There's nothing a host can do about it, unfortunately. I had hoped this iOS bug was already fixed, but maybe it isn't. If it is fixed in iOS, then there could still be bugs in an AUv3 plugin regarding memory allocation leading to the same effect, instances not actually freeing up memory resources in the plugins system process. (each plugin has one running process shared between all its instances hosted in one single host).

Yikes, that is really disappointing. Thanks for the detailed reply.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I’ve been trying to load three instances of Aparillo in AUM, and each time they crash out as it pushes the CPU to overload on my Air 2.

One of the things I raved about when it came out, was being able to run three, even four with a load of other stuff, and no issues. Now I can only run two. Latency settings the same etc...

Bit miffed, SugarBytes.

Personally for me storage is acting odd since iOS 12.
    Everything has crept WAY up in my size areas....

• @RUST( i )K said:

I’m afraid that’s just part of getting old 😆

• @1nsomniak said:

@RUST( i )K said:

I’m afraid that’s just part of getting old 😆

Bigger in some areas....smaller in others...

• @Carnbot said:
    I did hear back that an Aparillo fix is on it's way, not sure how that'll affect all devices as they mentioned only 12.9 in the email but fingers crossed :)

I emailed Sugar Bytes a week or so ago about this overloading issue, esp in AUM. This is the email I got from Sugar Bytes last Saturday:

I can confirm that we received some further reports describing exactly the same issue (especially on iPad Pro 12.9).
    Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that we now have found a solution and will upload a fixed version within the next week.
    Thanks a lot for your patience and really sorry for the trouble!

• Update is in and I can run 5 instances on my 9.7 pro. And I’m only hitting 50% whilst sequencing them all with Rozeta modules. Seems like a successful update. :)

• Fixed!

Just ran/recorded four instances in AUM, triggered by Riffer. No crashes, though got a bit sluggish on the 4th...but happy with that!