Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

We need a central preset bank repository...discuss

Finding presets for iOS synths can be a real wild goose chase and sometimes you don’t even know what you are hunting for. So many are lost to obscurity after their initial release even on this very forum.

It would be very cool if there was some sort of organized central repository with all the synths and preset banks publicly available. Any ideas on how we could make one?

Ideally the banks would be directly downloadable but this would require hosting. I’m wondering if it’s something archive.org would cover for the public good or github?

A backup plan would be something like a wiki with links to the banks. This would satisfy providers that want people to visit their blog or whatever to get the presets.

I’d be willing to help set it up but I think it should be community run for longevity.

Comments

• Not community run, but Discchord has a preset repository: https://discchord.com/presets

• I’ve thought about making “PresetKit”… reusable preset code devs could use to manage presets. It would include cloud storage and community presets.

Too many integration issues.

• Love this idea. Have tried tackling it myself but never got anywhere :lol: I think I lost my focus.

Now I dig your idea of using something like Github or Wiki. Makes a lot of sense.

Most presets doesn't take too much space, except those sample based (like Animoog's timbres or Beatmaker 3, etc)

• @aplourde said:
    Not community run, but Discchord has a preset repository: https://discchord.com/presets

BTW, the presets on Discchord is uploaded by the users, I guess... Because it carries their names.
    Probably Tim curates it or at least moderates the uploads (which is essential :lol:)

• I think a GitHub repo would be great. It would be soo convenient to just clone all the patches to Dropbox/iCloud and have all patches accessible from the Files app.

Might be a bit of a learning curve to add stuff but totally worth it. The repo should have a set of maintainers, that curate/accept pull requests from anyone in the community wanting to add patches to the repo.

• @johnfromberkeley said:
    I’ve thought about making “PresetKit”… reusable preset code devs could use to manage presets. It would include cloud storage and community presets.

Too many integration issues.

Very very same here. Ideas and shortcomings.

• I think @Peblin and others make good points about needing to have a community and people to maintain it. There needs to be a searchable database associated with such an effort to provide information about installation instructions, description of the sound, version compatibility, the preset author, and links to the app’s developer. Supporting Tim’s efforts at Discchord seems like a good approach too.

I too would like a front end that allows me to do everything via iOS.

Presets are not a new concept, what have others done for other platforms, could integrating with those efforts be a more productive approach?

• I use Patchstorage.com for VCVRack patches. Works well but haven’t dug into admin / features / potential costs. https://patchstorage.com/platform/vcv-rack/

• @gusgranite said:
    I use Patchstorage.com for VCVRack patches. Works well but haven’t dug into admin / features / potential costs. https://patchstorage.com/platform/vcv-rack/

Didn't know this one! Thanks! :wink:
    Too bad I generally open other people's patches and see I miss a shitload of modules :lol:

• I think audiobombs do this as well.

• @Lithalean has posted some great EXS files for AudioLayer plus SFZ files on musical-artifacts.com which include detailed descriptions. This website’s mission seems perfect for the OP’s stated goal.

Musical Artifacts is an open source web app helping musicians to find, share and preserve the artifacts they use for producing their music.

• Interesting, Ill check it out @InfoCheck

• This is a good suggestion from the OP - would be cool to have a general preset app via app store which would host all app presets in folders related to the apps.

• @stormbeats said:
    This is a good suggestion from the OP - would be cool to have a general preset app via app store which would host all app presets in folders related to the apps.

Oh there’s a neat idea, make it an app that keeps updated.