Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Comments

• On a negative tone, this is probably a moment Behringer has been waiting for.

• @espiegel123 said:
    RIP ARP

My first synth was an ARP Axxe in 1974

• edited January 2019

I must, and now must finish fixing the VCA of my ARP 2600 (the one with “Roger Glover” stenciled on the outside). Then sell it. I loved having one, but really, it’s too big and if I can’t even get a Novation Circuit out and switch it on, I doubt I’d suddenly want to use my ARP 2600 every night either now. For me, it’s all on iOS now.

• @espiegel123 said:

@espiegel123 said:
    RIP ARP

My first synth was an ARP Axxe in 1974

Superb synth. More powerful than it seems.

• When I was analysing the circuit of my ARP 2600’s 4019 VCA module a few years ago (and before I had a job, when I was still supposed to be doing my start-up) I came to understand how the VCA worked, and really saw that it was an amazingly superior design for the age. It has positive and negative audio inputs (so that it can knock a VCO sig out of phase with the same content within the ring modulator signal if that had the same VCO as one of the inputs). It also has Log and Lin CV control inputs (the AR and ADSR). It really is a good design. By the time they got to the Odyssey, the VCA was able to be simplified – no antiphase audio ins, simpler CV in – because by then an operational transconductance amplifier integrated circuit was invented, and they used that.

This was a tremendous resource for me:
    http://www.till.com/articles/arp/patents.html

• @u0421793 : very cool. I put in a lot of time figuring ways of trying to make it sound like it had more than one oscillator. It sounded surprisingly rich in spite of its limitations.

I used to crank the LFO and play very slowly while recording to tape at 1/4 speed then playing back at full-speed to get FM and AM going--sometimes throwing a Tycobrahe flanger at various speeds and depths. You could get some mightily clangorous tones that way. Sometimes I'd end up at 8x the original speed.

Fun times.

• Good times for the Angels, with their new hARPs.

• edited January 2019

My first synthesizer was an ARP Odyssey, and I first encountered what were then the strange, new concepts of an Envelope Generator, Voltage Controlled Filter, Low Frequency Oscillator and such, on that instrument. Those may seem like musical terms now, but back then you sounded like a scientist if you talked like that :-). To this day, I still tend to conceive of them in terms of those little Tic-Tac sliders. Needless to say, my life would have taken a very different course were it not for Mr. ARP.

R.I.P. A.R.P.

• “He played the piano in the morning and passed peacefully in the afternoon”. If you are going to go, that’s the way to do it. I can trace my interest in synths to a record of synth music recorded using an ARP 2500. The LP had a close-up of the panel on the cover and I was fascinated and wanted to understand how it all worked. RIP.

• RIP Alan.

Ever since hearing this sound as a kid, I've loved synths. ARP 2500. Plus R2D2 (think it was a 2600).

• @PhilW said:
    “He played the piano in the morning and passed peacefully in the afternoon”. If you are going to go, that’s the way to do it. I can trace my interest in synths to a record of synth music recorded using an ARP 2500. The LP had a close-up of the panel on the cover and I was fascinated and wanted to understand how it all worked. RIP.

It’s a way of going, but me I plan to go kicking and screaming, same way as entry, the morticians will have to pry my beloved synth from my rigorous cold embrace.

• @ocelot said:
    RIP Alan.

Ever since hearing this sound as a kid, I've loved synths. ARP 2500. Plus R2D2 (think it was a 2600).

That scene, the person playing the ARP 2500 is Phil Dodds of ARP, who was actually only supposed to be delivering it and setting it up / programming it, but was immediately given a bit part (a speaking part) by Steven Spielberg because of his looks.

http://cdm.link/2007/10/phil-dodds-the-synthesist-youd-want-to-make-first-contact-dies/

• @u0421793 said:

@ocelot said:
    RIP Alan.

That scene, the person playing the ARP 2500 is Phil Dodds of ARP, who was actually only supposed to be delivering it and setting it up / programming it, but was immediately given a bit part (a speaking part) by Steven Spielberg because of his looks.

http://cdm.link/2007/10/phil-dodds-the-synthesist-youd-want-to-make-first-contact-dies/

What a legacy, Phil Dodds was at ARP, then Kurzweil, and later helped invent e-learning for the US gov.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Dodds

• This is a really good (but extremely long and detailed) exposition into the eventual decline of ARP as a company, and the reasons.

http://www.rhodeschroma.com/?id=arp