Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN is finally out!!

Comments

• Good news on the fix :)

@InfoCheck said:

@JuanB said:

@Carnbot said:
    Definitely finding it a lot more stable when using in apeMatrix/AUM other than Audiobus though, Would love to see midi program change for sessions (maybe a separate folder in the browser). Until it gets an AU that would be useful for state saving outside AB.

I think that the instability problem in Audiobus is related to the LINK issue.
    I didn't understand what is "midi program change for sessions", could you elaborate?

I think the idea is to be able to send a MIDI PC message to Aphelian which will cause it to switch to a different Aphelian session. The user could then use a MIDI PC to recall a specific Aphelian session in a non- Audiobus IAA host or running Aphelian in standalone mode.

Basically yes, this would make it much easier to use in all hosts, not just audiobus so you can recall sessions easily and also create the possiblilty to work in live situations better, so in a way it acts like hardware. :)

Sugar Bytes apps do this by having a folder specifically for the midi changable presets and then have an action for "copy to midi programs" in the browser. That seems like the best solution to me so you can swap sessions in and out of your setlist.

• edited January 2019

Request for a possible future feature:

If Modulators 1 and 2 could modulate the cutoff and Q for some filter FM sounds, that could add to the range of timbres possible. Like two knobs under cutoff, and perhaps two under Q for Mod 1/2 amounts?

Thanks again. Great synth and great fun (it is not an easy thing to accomplish either, let alone both).
    😊

• My son just had his first jam on Aphelian. He watched the startup tutorial and jumped straight in. He loved it. Really clicked with the geometry. He was very upset when I said time’s up. He’s nearly 9, so yes, I think kids will enjoy this app and that’s a good thing. Lots of potential there.

I need to spend a bit of time on it myself before giving any my own feedback.

• @Prog1967 said:
    Please a manual or more tutorial videos. I have been able to get some interesting things with Aphelian but it seems that everything has been done just by chance and that makes me not able to understand how I did it

Blippity bloop! I agree!

• @Prog1967 said:
    Please a manual or more tutorial videos. I have been able to get some interesting things with Aphelian but it seems that everything has been done just by chance and that makes me not able to understand how I did it

Hi!
    I understand,
    we'll start working on a manual

• @gusgranite said:
    My son just had his first jam on Aphelian. He watched the startup tutorial and jumped straight in. He loved it. Really clicked with the geometry. He was very upset when I said time’s up. He’s nearly 9, so yes, I think kids will enjoy this app and that’s a good thing. Lots of potential there.

I'm very happy to hear that! :)
    I've noticed a strong reaction in kids, giving them prototypes and watching them play.
    I loved it! :)

• @Carnbot said:

I think the idea is to be able to send a MIDI PC message to Aphelian which will cause it to switch to a different Aphelian session. The user could then use a MIDI PC to recall a specific Aphelian session in a non- Audiobus IAA host or running Aphelian in standalone mode.

Basically yes, this would make it much easier to use in all hosts, not just audiobus so you can recall sessions easily and also create the possiblilty to work in live situations better, so in a way it acts like hardware. :)

Oh, I understand now, It's a very nice feature.

Sugar Bytes apps do this by having a folder specifically for the midi changable presets and then have an action for "copy to midi programs" in the browser. That seems like the best solution to me so you can swap sessions in and out of your setlist.

Sounds logical! Or maybe a view where you assign MiDI PC numbers to projects, to make it more user friendly.
    I like it very much, I put it in the feature request list.

Thank you @Carnbot !

• edited January 2019

@JuanB Hi, while you’ve got your list out ;) here’s an easy request. Can you make the tempo setting so that you can either double tap or long press in order to enter the tempo numbers directly? Currently, if you’re at 160bpm but want to go all the way down to 20bpm, it takes a lot of swiping and tapping to get to 20.

• What options are there for time signatures currently?

• @gusgranite said:
    What options are there for time signatures currently?

In short - lots. Each moon and orbit can be set to different beats, each sequence to different time divisions and the drum machine can be programmed from 1 to 8 bars also with a time division and number of beats. Pretty powerful !!

• @Trueyorky said:

@gusgranite said:

In short - lots. Each moon and orbit can be set to different beats, each sequence to different time divisions and the drum machine can be programmed from 1 to 8 bars also with a time division and number of beats. Pretty powerful !!

Cool, so if I have Ruismaker Noir running 6/8 or 8TR then I should be able to sync them up?

• @gusgranite said:

@Trueyorky said:

@gusgranite said:

Cool, so if I have Ruismaker Noir running 6/8 or 8TR then I should be able to sync them up?

Noir is still on my wish list but Aphelian and Troublemaker played happily in sync together so I would say yes. You could create some interesting polyrhythms.

• @Trueyorky said:

@gusgranite said:

Good Stuff !!!

• Getting more into this - you can build up some seriously good tunes with this feller. Right up my alleyway this one.

• Having lots of fun with only the odd crash, but I maybe missing something but when I strip back the initial preset and orbital arp, triggering a single note for 3 beats of 4, then alter the filter envelope, I’m getting no modulation via the envelope of the filter.

• @knewspeak I was having problems with the filter envelope too. I think it's the resonance control that is the problem. If you have res set to zero the filter envelope has no affect but turn it up a bit and the filter envelope responds as expected. Hope that helps

• @JuanB said:
    Sounds logical! Or maybe a view where you assign MiDI PC numbers to projects, to make it more user friendly.

That sounds great. :)

• @skiphunt said:
    @JuanB Hi, while you’ve got your list out ;) here’s an easy request. Can you make the tempo setting so that you can either double tap or long press in order to enter the tempo numbers directly? Currently, if you’re at 160bpm but want to go all the way down to 20bpm, it takes a lot of swiping and tapping to get to 20.

Hi! Added to the list.
    One tip: the control interprets the gesture's acceleration.
    If you want to make a long jump, do a fast finger slide.

• @gusgranite said:

• edited January 2019

Each orbit can have its own event grid.

And each PLANET /MOON has and independent loopSize

• @knewspeak said:
    Having lots of fun with only the odd crash, but I maybe missing something but when I strip back the initial preset and orbital arp, triggering a single note for 3 beats of 4, then alter the filter envelope, I’m getting no modulation via the envelope of the filter.

There is an issue with the filter, I'm working on it.
    I think that is related to the buffer size, works better with 256 samples.

• @Richtowns said:
    @knewspeak I was having problems with the filter envelope too. I think it's the resonance control that is the problem. If you have res set to zero the filter envelope has no affect but turn it up a bit and the filter envelope responds as expected. Hope that helps

I will take it into account, thanks!

• @haulin_notes said:

If Modulators 1 and 2 could modulate the cutoff and Q for some filter FM sounds, that could add to the range of timbres possible. Like two knobs under cutoff, and perhaps two under Q for Mod 1/2 amounts?

I wish we had more space in the screen, but it is completely full! :)

Thanks again. Great synth and great fun (it is not an easy thing to accomplish either, let alone both).
    😊

Thank you!

• Beyond the update that is about to come out, I'm sorry to say that there are still some bugs related with the transport state that will be addressed in a following fix. If you execute the play/stop commands in APHELIAN and in the HOST alternatively some times, the app crashes. I'm working on that now. To avoid crashing you can execute the transport commands only from the HOST for now.

I have my doubts about what should be the behavior of the application on this subject. Is it useful for the guest application to have and independent play/stop function?

• @JuanB said:

I have my doubts about what should be the behavior of the application on this subject. Is it useful for the guest application to have and independent play/stop function?

I see that Ableton Link here doesn't yet have the start/stop sync option.
    If you add that SDK option then the user can choose if the transport can start independently or not. This can be useful yes, but then you have the option to disable it when not needed :)

• @JuanB said:

@haulin_notes said:

I wish we had more space in the screen, but it is completely full! :)

Yes, I noticed the synth screen is jam packed full of goodies! 🎛🎚🎚😄
    Don’t know if such a thing is possible or easily doable in the language this app was written... but as you’ve probably noticed, some synths (VPS Avenger for instance) indicate modulation amounts with a colored moving “ring” around the knob being modulated. Just theoretical wishful thinking for features on my part!

😊

Thank you!

The depth of Aphelian seems to be like the ocean. Still swimming on the surface. Yet it is extremely intuitive and not confusing to someone like me who can be swallowed by the whales of arcane complexity. 🐳

• @JuanB Loving the midi controller side of Aphelian the CC sending options are fab.

Question if I accidentally add to many CC controllers within the orbit how can I delete them again as can’t see a clear control option only ?

• @Jumpercollins said:
    @JuanB Loving the midi controller side of Aphelian the CC sending options are fab.

Question if I accidentally add to many CC controllers within the orbit how can I delete them again as can’t see a clear control option only ?

Click “clear” you can see in the settings pop up box and that will remove that controller.

• @JuanB said:

@skiphunt said:

Hi! Added to the list.
    One tip: the control interprets the gesture's acceleration.
    If you want to make a long jump, do a fast finger slide.

Oh cool. That actually helps a lot. Thanks for the tip. :)

• @JuanB quick play with 1.03 update and MIDI with scene changes looks like it is fixed. Thank you :)