Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN is finally out!!

Comments

• @Carnbot said:
    Is there a way to move/adjust the white starting point in each shape?

At the moment it it's not posible, It's a good idea.
    I added it to the feature request list.
    Thanks!

• @hacked_to_pieces said:
    @JuanB I got a few crashes in standalone here's the pertinent info from the last crash.

Thanks! ;)

• @Carnbot said:
    Definitely finding it a lot more stable when using in apeMatrix/AUM other than Audiobus though, Would love to see midi program change for sessions (maybe a separate folder in the browser). Until it gets an AU that would be useful for state saving outside AB.

I think that the instability problem in Audiobus is related to the LINK issue.
    I didn't understand what is "midi program change for sessions", could you elaborate?

• @JuanB said:

@Carnbot @skiphunt InfoCheck
    @cuscolima said:
    I confirm that it works much better if you disable the Link. I really enjoy this app now. I suspect hower a battery drain. Any comment on this?

Hi! :)
    I found the underlying problem of the LINK related crashes and I'm submitting an update in a few moments.
    There are some reported bugs that I couldn't replicate, I'll keep working on that.

Thank you, that sounds great. When the update is available, I’ll try it out and report back.

• @SpookyZoo said:
    My main use for the app would be midi out. So I'll be waiting for the thumbs up when the bugs are fixed.

I couldn't replicate a bug exclusively related with MIDI, but I could fix some strange behaviours that could be related with it.

I just uploaded a new version, is waiting for review, I suppose that it will be available soon.

• Been playing with it for most of the evening, MIDI out to synths in AUM plus some standalone stuff - not a single crash or freeze.

• @JuanB said:

@SpookyZoo said:
    My main use for the app would be midi out. So I'll be waiting for the thumbs up when the bugs are fixed.

I couldn't replicate a bug exclusively related with MIDI, but I could fix some strange behaviours that could be related with it.

I just uploaded a new version, is waiting for review, I suppose that it will be available soon.

Thanks for letting me know. I'll keep an eye on this thread to see how it's going. Cheers.

• @JuanB said:

@Carnbot said:
    Definitely finding it a lot more stable when using in apeMatrix/AUM other than Audiobus though, Would love to see midi program change for sessions (maybe a separate folder in the browser). Until it gets an AU that would be useful for state saving outside AB.

I think that the instability problem in Audiobus is related to the LINK issue.
    I didn't understand what is "midi program change for sessions", could you elaborate?

I think the idea is to be able to send a MIDI PC message to Aphelian which will cause it to switch to a different Aphelian session. The user could then use a MIDI PC to recall a specific Aphelian session in a non- Audiobus IAA host or running Aphelian in standalone mode.

• @Richtowns said:
    @juanb congrats on the app. A worthy successor to oscilab. After a few hours here my observations

thanks!

Would it be easy to add a solo as well as mute?

Added to the feature request list!

My first play with the synth made me think that the filter envelope is ‘weak’ or not fast enough. I tried to make a bass sound by shutting the low pass filter and letting the envelope decay open it up and even with full env amount it doesnt let sound through. It might be me but Ive done this same task of 10s of synths and it works as expected.

I will look into it!

All in all, amazing work. Love the sequencer, a beautiful user interface, and a cool new synth. Good luck with the midi bugs

thank you!

• @skiphunt said:
    It’s a really fun app. It’s like playing a cool video game, but for making interesting compositions.

Once you move on from the readymade sequences and start playing more with the automation, etc. you can get some nice sound design oriented stuff too.

Even with the launch bugs, it’s easy to recommend.

:)

• I think the most obvious Midi bug is when you are sending midi out, and try to switch scenes. The music still plays, but the interface becomes unresponsive. This happens in standalone mode for me.
    Staying in one scene while using midi out is working for the most part. Any bugs in that area are being a little hard to nail down as to what is causing any problems.

• @MonzoPro said:

Been playing with it for most of the evening, MIDI out to synths in AUM plus some standalone stuff - not a single crash or freeze.

Were you also switching scenes?

• edited January 2019

A thought occurred to me... a lusting and impure thought (mea culpa). Can you imagine an AUV3 drum sequencer and sampler in the mold of Aphelian? The mind boggles.... 😻

• Visually beautiful app with a great deal of thought put into the design and concept. However, every video I have seen so far sounds like a variation of the same song, same tempo. I see people jumping through menus, changing shapes and doing so much but changing so little of the sound or the "type" of music that comes out of this app (at least to my ears!).

Everything sounds like a soundtrack to.......ah......Sonic the Hedgehog....!!??. I am hopeful that someone will put out a video that shows something vastly different using the midi out as it seems that there could be a very unique potential in this regard. Despite my criticism I applaud the creators for doing something different and adding to the "fun" factor of ios music making !!

• @JuanB OK this could be a major breakthrough regarding the freezing issue with external MIDI. I have successfully created several project files driving MIDI whilst creating and changing scenes and I believe I am now able to recreate files that will freeze and files that will play nicely !!

The issue appears to be around switching off the internal engine. So if I connect other apps with MIDI and switch this off then creating and changing scenes will lock up Aphelian. However, if I simply mute the internal sound channels I am able to switch scenes and create new ones whilst connected with virtual MIDI no problem.

I first did this inside AUM and then standalone and both worked. I have tried with Zeeon and iMono/Poly with scene switching working perfectly. So please try this and report back :) :)

• @QuietBrian said:
    Visually beautiful app with a great deal of thought put into the design and concept. However, every video I have seen so far sounds like a variation of the same song, same tempo. I see people jumping through menus, changing shapes and doing so much but changing so little of the sound or the "type" of music that comes out of this app (at least to my ears!).

Everything sounds like a soundtrack to.......ah......Sonic the Hedgehog....!!??. I am hopeful that someone will put out a video that shows something vastly different using the midi out as it seems that there could be a very unique potential in this regard. Despite my criticism I applaud the creators for doing something different and adding to the "fun" factor of ios music making !!

I was worried about similar thoughts - but I took a chance and preordered it. I played with it for about 2-2.5 hours yesterday and too be honest - while I had fun playing with it -at the end of the day I had a niggle in the back of my mind saying this might not be for me and maybe I'll get a rare refund for me (I think I've done 3 in total ever). But I just gave it another go and I don't think I will ask for refund. I think maybe getting slower melodic ideas just might take an extra bit of time to coax out. It excels at creating faster arpy stuff for sure.

Let me see - maybe I'll post a quick export with a slow jam tonight....

• @Trueyorky said:
    @JuanB OK this could be a major breakthrough regarding the freezing issue with external MIDI. I have successfully created several project files driving MIDI whilst creating and changing scenes and I believe I am now able to recreate files that will freeze and files that will play nicely !!

The issue appears to be around switching off the internal engine. So if I connect other apps with MIDI and switch this off then creating and changing scenes will lock up Aphelian. However, if I simply mute the internal sound channels I am able to switch scenes and create new ones whilst connected with virtual MIDI no problem.

I first did this inside AUM and then standalone and both worked. I have tried with Zeeon and iMono/Poly with scene switching working perfectly. So please try this and report back :) :)

This is definitely working for me. I have tested further with Gadget and PPG Infinite - no issues when switching scenes.

• @JuanB said:

@gkillmaster said:
    Spent a little time and do like it! Maybe it was mentioned in another thread but would love to have more scales/modes to choose from. Maybe even microtuning!

Hi! Thanks for the feedback.
    I couldn't agree more!!
    It's already on the roadmap.

I always admired the tonal experiments of Wendy Carlos in "Sonic Seasonings" (1972), and one day a year ago, working on Aphelian, I came across her lectures called "Secrets of Synthesis". They were very revealing. From that day I'm thinking about adding more options in the frequency mode selector (the one that now has the options: NOTES/NOTES FLOW/FLOW).
    After stabilization and AU, this feature is a good candidate to continue the development.

:)

Oh wow! Microtuning was the one request I had as well. This would put this wonderful thing you've made over the top.

Any ideas as to what the tuning format would be? My vote is for Scala/Tun tunings :)

• @QuietBrian said:
    Visually beautiful app with a great deal of thought put into the design and concept. However, every video I have seen so far sounds like a variation of the same song, same tempo. I see people jumping through menus, changing shapes and doing so much but changing so little of the sound or the "type" of music that comes out of this app (at least to my ears!).

Ok here’s a slow jam made with Apheliian for those who just think it does bleepy bloppy high tempo arp type stuff. Nothing special at all - - 1 synth and internal drums to start, then a 2nd synth added, then third, then the fourth and I quickly messed with changing the shape of synth four before taking them all away. Hopefully I shared this link correctly ..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bv75ra803jz2jnx/AADnBuppWtXFNP6cSDdFRVuQa?dl=0

• @Halftone said:

@QuietBrian said:

I was worried about similar thoughts - but I took a chance and preordered it. I played with it for about 2-2.5 hours yesterday and too be honest - while I had fun playing with it -at the end of the day I had a niggle in the back of my mind saying this might not be for me and maybe I'll get a rare refund for me (I think I've done 3 in total ever). But I just gave it another go and I don't think I will ask for refund. I think maybe getting slower melodic ideas just might take an extra bit of time to coax out. It excels at creating faster arpy stuff for sure.

Let me see - maybe I'll post a quick export with a slow jam tonight....

@Halftone said:

@QuietBrian said:

Ok here’s a slow jam made with Apheliian for those who just think it does bleepy bloppy high tempo arp type stuff. Nothing special at all - - 1 synth and internal drums to start, then a 2nd synth added, then third, then the fourth and I quickly messed with changing the shape of synth four before taking them all away. Hopefully I shared this link correctly ..

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bv75ra803jz2jnx/AADnBuppWtXFNP6cSDdFRVuQa?dl=

"bleepy bloppy high tempo arp type stuff" is exactly how I would describe it as well. I look at all the comments of praise and I fail to understand, based on the sound, what all the fuss is about. I think iOS music app creators do a disservice to their products when they don't demonstrate the range of musical genres that their app can achieve.
    That is what I think about this app. It seems like people are being duped by the visuals when it all sounds like............"bleepy bloppy high tempo arp type stuff"

Based on what I have seen, it seems like this app could be capable of so much more and I am sure it is! I am going to keep my eye on it though as it may well find itself on my iPad eventually !

• edited January 2019

@Trueyorky said:
    @JuanB OK this could be a major breakthrough regarding the freezing issue with external MIDI. I have successfully created several project files driving MIDI whilst creating and changing scenes and I believe I am now able to recreate files that will freeze and files that will play nicely !!

Thanks you very much Trueyorky!

I was able to replicate the MIDI OUT error and now it is solved !! :)

I submitted the new build to Apple, I hope that tomorrow the update is available in the store.

• edited January 2019

@QuietBrian said:
    Based on what I have seen, it seems like this app could be capable of so much more and I am sure it is! I am going to keep my eye on it though as it may well find itself on my iPad eventually !

I agree, we need some high quality demos.
    We are going to work on that.

• edited January 2019

@JuanB in the generator section Major is spelled “Mayor”
    Just a niggle.
    Maybe a tap and hold to rapidly change numerical values like Glissando or a double tap numerical enter.

• @palm said:
    Oh wow! Microtuning was the one request I had as well. This would put this wonderful thing you've made over the top.
    Any ideas as to what the tuning format would be? My vote is for Scala/Tun tunings :)

No ideas yet, we still need some research.
    We'll take in account your opinion, thanks!

• @audiblevideo said:
    @JuanB in the generator section Major is spelled “Mayor”
    Just a niggle.
    Maybe a tap and hold to rapidly change numerical values like Glissando or a double tap numerical enter.

It's already corrected it in the new update.
    Thanks!

• @JuanB said:

@Trueyorky said:

I submitted the new build to Apple, I hope that tomorrow the update is available in the store.

Most excellent!
    Now, excuse me while I get back to my blipity bloopity masterpiece.
    :D

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:

@MonzoPro said:

Been playing with it for most of the evening, MIDI out to synths in AUM plus some standalone stuff - not a single crash or freeze.

@Blipsford_Baubie said:

@MonzoPro said:

Yep

• edited January 2019

@JuanB said:

@Trueyorky said:

Top stuff - this app is awesome :) :)

• Please a manual or more tutorial videos. I have been able to get some interesting things with Aphelian but it seems that everything has been done just by chance and that makes me not able to understand how I did it