Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Latency Settings

edited January 2019 in Support and Feedback

Howdy forumites! Can I please get the opinions of some experienced folks (and especially owners of an iPad Pro 2)?

Is it better to set most apps at 128 samples to get an unnoticeably fast response but run the risk of CPU overloading and crackling? Or set at 256 and deal with the very slightly noticeable lag, but have lots of “headroom” to add more effects and more apps without issue? Any strategies for setting one kind of app vs another such as a DAW vs a synth vs drums etc?

Thank you for your advice!!

Comments

• Do you play live or do you sequence your tracks by programming patterns? If the former use 128 or 256, if the latter use 256 or higher. <— rule of thumb

• @brambos said:
    Do you play live or do you sequence your tracks by programming patterns? If the former use 128 or 256, if the latter use 256 or higher. <— rule of thumb

About half/half, I’ll adjust accordingly. Wow, an answer in 5 minutes (from one of the very best out there I might add). This forum is the shit haha. Thank you!!

• I usually set it as high as I can stand.
    I can get by playing live at 256 without issue.
    I can even use 512 sometimes playing live.

But each person has a slightly different tolerance towards latency/live playing, so test yourself and set it so you feel comfortable playing.

• Hi all. I'm a newbie here. (Although at 73, nobody's a newbie anymore.) How does latency work when you are using something like Audiobus with multiple apps? Is there one master setting that applies or do different apps have different settings? Is there a cascade effect or does Audiobus handle it all?

• @Deskscape said:
    Hi all. I'm a newbie here. (Although at 73, nobody's a newbie anymore.) How does latency work when you are using something like Audiobus with multiple apps? Is there one master setting that applies or do different apps have different settings? Is there a cascade effect or does Audiobus handle it all?

I have heard that all apps will use the biggest buffer setting, whichever app has the biggest.
    But I have also heard the last app opened sets the buffer for all the other apps.

So, I am obviously confused too. But I am pretty sure that only one buffer setting is in effect at any given time.
    I am sure someone will come along and enlighten us.
    :)

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!
    B)

• edited January 2019

@CracklePot said:

@Deskscape said:
    Hi all. I'm a newbie here. (Although at 73, nobody's a newbie anymore.) How does latency work when you are using something like Audiobus with multiple apps? Is there one master setting that applies or do different apps have different settings? Is there a cascade effect or does Audiobus handle it all?

I have heard that all apps will use the biggest buffer setting, whichever app has the biggest.
    But I have also heard the last app opened sets the buffer for all the other apps.

So, I am obviously confused too. But I am pretty sure that only one buffer setting is in effect at any given time.
    I am sure someone will come along and enlighten us.
    :)

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum!
    B)

Hi, & welcome! Pretty sure all apps will follow whatever the setting is in Audiobus, (or whatever other host you may be using.) All hosts will follow the Master host.
    e.g. If you open Audiobus first, & then add Aum , Aum will follow the settings in Audiobus & vice versa. Hope this helps.....

• @CracklePot
    @Iso

Okay thanks, it makes sense that the specified host settings determine the latency for the plugins or hosted apps. And thanks for the welcome. I'd been researching music on the iPad for a few months and lurking in this forum before deciding to get a 6th gen 128 gig version for augmenting my desktop Linux Ardour DAW. Both the information and the quality of the conversation in this forum were major factors in confirming my purchase.

Regards to all.