Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

iOS: Recording Hardware

What apps do you use in recording out side audio into the iOS device?

I am often challenged in that the sound from the headphone jack of say my Circuit, Monostation, or Digitakt is so perfect.

The challenge at times is getting that recorded with that headphone quality sound from the headphone feed into the iOS app.

So what methods apps devices and things do you use to get the best hardware or outside audio into your iOS device?

Thanks

TGIF

Comments

• I use my Komplete Audio 6 with the iPad for external stuff (in fact these days I often just shove the outs from the Komplete into a channel on my Saffire PRO 40 on the computer in order to record the iPad out rather than faffing about with iConnect midi and aggregate devices)

• I use a Roland Duo Capture on the ipad. I have one on my laptop as well. I find going between the two sounds so good to my ears that sometimes I will just skip export/dropbox/etc even when availible and just record between two for ease of use. First time I used it I was completely blown away by the lack of noise.

• Behringer umc 1820 into cubasis on iPad ... 4 channels of stereo audio in.

• Focusrite 2i2

• Apogee Duet

• Audient id4

• Presonus itwo. Sounds fine but powering it can be weird so I wouldn’t really recommend it

• edited January 2019

I use a Presonus Audiobox iTwo to record the audio output of my hardware through a powered USB-hub straight into BM3 or Audioshare on my iPad.

• Still using my trusty and now very old Behringer UCA202, inputs to this are via a Behringer 1202FX mixer.

What audio settings are you using when recording, 44.1, 48 or higher Khz and 16 or 24 bit ? ... not sure what the circuit itself uses, I would imagine it is higher than 44.1 16 Bit though....
    As a test try recording at the highest settings your current hardware allows to see if the quality improves at all.
    If it does then try dropping the settings down until you notice a degradation in the audio.

• Audient ID-14

• edited January 2019

For my iPhone, I have 3 options

1) Saving each track to drop box (most used solution, via Gadget)
    2) Via lightning cable to my MBP, which is then connected via SPDIF to my Focusrite 6i6
    3) Via headphone dongle into the SE-02 Ext Box external input (mono) and then into my Focusrite 6i6 instrument jack at line level

• Komplete Audio 6

• I normally Dropbox it, but I sometimes use my irig hd

• edited January 2019

Focusrite 2i4 + behringer UCG102 for quick guitar recording.

• Focusrite 2i2 and an iRig Pro Duo.

• Alesis ioDock (1st gen), iConnectAudio4+ and Audient ID22 get used on iPad here.

• @Telefunky said:
    Alesis ioDock (1st gen), iConnectAudio4+ and Audient ID22 get used on iPad here.

My Alesis 1st gen still works with my Air2. 30 pin to lightning adapter and a folded piece of cardboard under the iPad to hold it in place. I’ve tried to replace it but it won’t die.
    Thinking about going with a new Pro 11 and an iConnect for both devices.
    What do you use with yours? (IConnect)

• I mostly don't use the iCA's double-host feature, it's connected to an Air-2 and occasionally to a Win-7 DAW (certain post-processing tasks) by USB.
    But it's the monitor headphone output for the iPad, a Pro Tools TDM (G3 Mac) and a Scope DSP system under XP (both connected by analog in/out).
    Of course the external systems can also communicate in both direction with IOS.

The iCA4+ is a really versatile thing, though the IOS control panel isn't the most brilliant implementation. It works, but is neither intuitive nor ergonomic - and iConnectivity switched to a different control software that isn't my cup of tea at all.

• iTrack Dock and Bluetooth MIDI dongles. Had one repair already but sound quality and mix function are great.
    A Zoom UAC-8 behind a CCK3 if I have to record >2 audio and MIDI channels simultaneously, like a live keyboard jam etc.
    An old Alesis io/Dock with an iPad 1 as a sound source for the live drum set (Nanostudio 1).

• edited January 2019

@Ben said:

@Telefunky said:
    Alesis ioDock (1st gen), iConnectAudio4+ and Audient ID22 get used on iPad here.

My Alesis 1st gen still works with my Air2. 30 pin to lightning adapter and a folded piece of cardboard under the iPad to hold it in place. I’ve tried to replace it but it won’t die.
    Thinking about going with a new Pro 11 and an iConnect for both devices.
    What do you use with yours? (IConnect)

That Alesis is indestructible :D

• Steinberg UR22 & Motu 16A.

Just picked up the new UR RT4 too.

• @AudioGus said:
    I use a Roland Duo Capture on the ipad. I have one on my laptop as well. I find going between the two sounds so good to my ears that sometimes I will just skip export/dropbox/etc even when availible and just record between two for ease of use. First time I used it I was completely blown away by the lack of noise.

+1 for the Duo-Capture EX! I use one that I switch between (using an A/B USB hub) for use with Reason 10.2 on my iMac, or directly into the 3rd Gen 12.9 iPad Pro via a USB-C cable. It all works beautifully. Just wish I could plug both in simultaneously for recording one to the other.

• @AndyPlankton said:
    Still using my trusty and now very old Behringer UCA202, inputs to this are via a Behringer 1202FX mixer.

What audio settings are you using when recording, 44.1, 48 or higher Khz and 16 or 24 bit ? ... not sure what the circuit itself uses, I would imagine it is higher than 44.1 16 Bit though....
    As a test try recording at the highest settings your current hardware allows to see if the quality improves at all.
    If it does then try dropping the settings down until you notice a degradation in the audio.

Why is it that both my UCA202 s beep like a reversing truck when I use them on ios but are silent on my pc? They are the perfect solution for non powered interface for a mobile rig but the noise makes them unusable. I thought my first one was faulty and bought another but same problem.

• @Jes said:

@AndyPlankton said:
    Still using my trusty and now very old Behringer UCA202, inputs to this are via a Behringer 1202FX mixer.

Why is it that both my UCA202 s beep like a reversing truck when I use them on ios but are silent on my pc? They are the perfect solution for non powered interface for a mobile rig but the noise makes them unusable. I thought my first one was faulty and bought another but same problem.

Are you using other stuff connected to the CCK at the same time ? I had issues when connected lots of controllers through hub, needed powered hub in the end.