Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Beathawk update

Finally, they’ve done it!!

Now AUV3 will retain view setting after closing/resizing UI.

And no more lines artefacts in fullscreen on my iPhone 7 Plus!!

Comments

• I just wish they could do something about actual 'sampling' with the app...

Like being able to normalise & trim the sample before saving it and why do we need to use BM3 to make loops/sounds that can be stretched and played as slices?(Ie. export as Apple Loop from BM3 and import to BH).

These are no 'new' issues but I do feel the 'focus' is on selling sound-packs instead of enabling proper user-sampling and instrument creation :)

• Yes but the sound packs are reasonably priced on sale and they sound good. Very glad they've finally fixed all the AUv3 issues!

• I just use BM3 and subvert their efforts.
    :D

• So have they fixed the years old multi AU bug ?

• edited January 2019

@Turntablist said:
    So have they fixed the years old multi AU bug ?

If I remember correctly, it wasn’t possible to load more than two instances.

Now I can load in AUM/7Plus 4 instances with no problem, number 5 has crashed but I was able to load it again, and number 6 has loaded forever. So I think 4 instances are ok which is very good. All instances will retain their settings view, which is nice for individual polyphonic playing. I haven’t tested extensively so I don’t know if that’s perfectly stable under heavy midi use, etc...

• Never managed to use more than one instance without all settings being lost, if this is the fix then that is a huge release!

• Great to transfer the midi to GarageBand and open instances of Beathawk on each channel. Haven’t really had any problems since the last gb update

• Is each Beathawk AU instance multi-timbral? (each one has up to 16 instruments??!!)
    How do you sequence those 16 instruments if each track in the DAW is on it's own Midi channel?

• edited January 2019

@ocelot said:
    Is each Beathawk AU instance multi-timbral? (each one has up to 16 instruments??!!)
    How do you sequence those 16 instruments if each track in the DAW is on it's own Midi channel?

Yes, you have to create a midi track for each channel 1-16 for pads/intruments 1-16.

Your settings for that usage need to be like below (disabling midi output avoid to record doublons midi notes):

• @Janosax said:

@Turntablist said:

Now I can load in AUM/7Plus 4 instances with no problem, number 5 has crashed but I was able to load it again, and number 6 has loaded forever. So I think 4 instances are ok which is very good. All instances will retain their settings view, which is nice for individual polyphonic playing. I haven’t tested extensively so I don’t know if that’s perfectly stable under heavy midi use, etc...

Keep in mind that the memory limit for AUs is not per instance of an AU but for all instances of an AU. So, one might easily reach that limit if one has several BeatHawk instances each of which is fully-loaded with samples.

• @Janosax said:

@ocelot said:
    Is each Beathawk AU instance multi-timbral? (each one has up to 16 instruments??!!)

Yes, you have to create a midi track for each channel 1-16 for pads/intruments 1-16.

Your settings for that usage need to be like below (disabling midi output avoid to record doublons midi notes):

Thanks! Very helpful!

• @espiegel123 said:

@Janosax said:

@Turntablist said:

Keep in mind that the memory limit for AUs is not per instance of an AU but for all instances of an AU. So, one might easily reach that limit if one has several BeatHawk instances each of which is fully-loaded with samples.

Just tested with blank pads/projects and 5 instances are ok but crash still occurs with instance 6. But again, even 4 instances just to be safe is really good enough.

• @Samu said:
    I just wish they could do something about actual 'sampling' with the app...

Like being able to normalise & trim the sample before saving it and why do we need to use BM3 to make loops/sounds that can be stretched and played as slices?(Ie. export as Apple Loop from BM3 and import to BH).

These are no 'new' issues but I do feel the 'focus' is on selling sound-packs instead of enabling proper user-sampling and instrument creation :)

I think it's fair to say that selling sound packs is UVI's main business.
    Better sampling options could help the app being used by more people however, in return increasing sound pack purchases as well.

• @espiegel123 said:

@Janosax said:

@Turntablist said:

Is that true?
    I’ve heard that the maximun allocated memory per AUv3 instance is 350MB, but, when I tested Ravenscroft275 (1.1GB sampled piano) I could easily load 4 instances of that piano and layering it just like plays chords...
    Is that sampledbased piano that streaming it from disk simultaneously then?

Everything made on my iPad Pro gen2 (both 12.9” and my 10.5”)...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Janosax said:

@Turntablist said:

Is that true?
    I’ve heard that the maximun allocated memory per AUv3 instance is 350MB, but, when I tested Ravenscroft275 (1.1GB sampled piano) I could easily load 4 instances of that piano and layering it just like plays chords...

AU that disk stream don't need the full memory that the samples take up. Bram Bos posted about the AU limit being shared by instances of the same AU.

• @espiegel123 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@espiegel123 said:

@Janosax said:

@Turntablist said:

Is that true?

AU that disk stream don't need the full memory that the samples take up. Bram Bos posted about the AU limit being shared by instances of the same AU.

OK...
    I continue to test Ravenscroft275 in Nanostudio 2, and, could easily layer six instances of different pianopatches in Ravenscroft275!
    Liveplayed thru KB-1 Midi plugin app...

• Sorry I have a lot of issues with getting Beathawk multitimbral.

can someone give step by step instructions on how to get garageband and beathawk multitibral as per below

"Is each Beathawk AU instance multi-timbral? (each one has up to 16 instruments??!!)
    Yes, you have to create a midi track for each channel 1-16 for pads/intruments 1-16."

I cant get it to work. Sorry.

• edited January 2019

Have they added basic Files.app support to BeatHawk yet?

I'll most likely at least test in on my iPhone 8 to check the UI-Size/Useability ratio :)
    Many apps feel too 'microscopic'. Gadget is barely usable while GarageBand is very usable!

GarageBand lacks a 'Drum Sampler' but the regular Sampler is nice for one-shots and single-sample sounds.
    Record audio to a track and drag it to a track containing the Sampler for instant instrument-creation...
    (A dream would be a simple Drum Sampler in GarageBand with tuning & reverse options for the samples).

• edited January 2019

@am1001 said:
    Sorry I have a lot of issues with getting Beathawk multitimbral.

can someone give step by step instructions on how to get garageband and beathawk multitibral as per below

"Is each Beathawk AU instance multi-timbral? (each one has up to 16 instruments??!!)
    Yes, you have to create a midi track for each channel 1-16 for pads/intruments 1-16."

I cant get it to work. Sorry.

You can’t use 16 instruments multi timbral in GarageBand as there is no midi routing between tracks.

But, you can if you use BeatHawk internal sequencer, which will be synced with GarageBand tempo and transport. Think it as an AU with built-in sequencer. Also, there is a trick: if you enable midi output in BeatHawk, and tap record in GarageBand all midi channels will be recorded in a GB region. I suppose MPE has to be enabled in general GB settings too. This is useful if you use for example one BH instance for orchestral strings (4 or 5 instruments in BH) and want to do some arrangement in GarageBand. But you will not be able to edit notes for individual instruments except if they play different notes and they are no doublons on different channels. Also to allow your region to play BH different channels, you will have to disable Omni on pads and send to selected pad in BH setting. That’s not easy to understand nor to use. Most of the time, I create different BH instances and merge to audio. But that fits my style, I don’t do any orchestral stuff.

@samu yes GarageBand absolutely rocks on the iPhone, this is why I always write good things about it on this forum :)
    Is there an universal AU drum sampler which allows for indivividual sample load and reverse? Not sure. Gadget works really well in sync with GB via midi clock and recorded straight via IAA. Great combo. Bilbao is a great drum sampler, but there is no reverse option. You can use BH as an AU Drum sampler (there is Files support), again no reverse option, but works great in GB.

• @Janosax said:
    Gadget works really well in sync with GB via midi clock and recorded straight via IAA. Great combo. Bilbao is a great drum sampler, but there is no reverse option.

I guess I need to get the AUv3 that sends midi so I can sequence Gadget using GarageBand unless I resort to rendering/exporting loops from Gadget :) (Sequencing Gadget using BeatHawk would be another option as well?).
    (I do have 'full' Gadget including all IAPs & Module IAPs I own installed on the iPhone. Took a while but it's good to be able to delete the stand-alone apps after the 'Gadgets' are installed so plenty of sounds available already).

My goal is to keep the iPhone 8 as 'clean' as possible to be able to focus.

So far only AudioShare, Gadget, GarageBand, TwistedWave, SunVox and Reason Compact. I might add Model D, Model 15, KQ Dixie, Zeeon and Poison-202 at some point as well as some KLVGR, AD & FAC effects...

The problem with those are that the UIs tend to get 'microscopic' thus would likely not get that much use.
    (I've found many apps to be practically un-usable on the iPhone 8 due to microscopic UIs and I've tried a LOT).

• edited January 2019

@Samu said:

@Janosax said:
    Gadget works really well in sync with GB via midi clock and recorded straight via IAA. Great combo. Bilbao is a great drum sampler, but there is no reverse option.

I guess I need to get the AUv3 that sends midi so I can sequence Gadget using GarageBand unless I resort to rendering/exporting loops from Gadget :) (Sequencing Gadget using BeatHawk would be another option as well?).
    (I do have 'full' Gadget including all IAPs & Module IAPs I own installed on the iPhone. Took a while but it's good to be able to delete the stand-alone apps after the 'Gadgets' are installed so plenty of sounds available already).

My goal is to keep the iPhone 8 as 'clean' as possible to be able to focus.

So far only AudioShare, Gadget, GarageBand, TwistedWave, SunVox and Reason Compact. I might add Model D, Model 15, KQ Dixie, Zeeon and Poison-202 at some point as well as some KLVGR, AD & FAC effects...

The problem with those are that the UIs tend to get 'microscopic' thus would likely not get that much use.
    (I've found many apps to be practically un-usable on the iPhone 8 due to microscopic UIs and I've tried a LOT).

In some case it’s useful to use iOS zoom for those tiny knobs. I don’t need it often on 7 Plus but that can help you on 8. Add zoom to accessibility shortcuts and a triple home button tap will enable it or give you access to zoom and other options. Then some gestures like triple finger swipe allows changing zoom ratio. Triple finger scrolling moves whole screen view. For quick zoom/unzoom just do triple tap on screen. When you don’t need it or want to play chords on screen (more than two fingers) disable zoom via triple tap on home button. Zoom has to be in fullscreen mode. Very useful with Gadget mixer too, or even with GarageBand keyboard for monophonic playing. Zoom adds a slight delay when switching between apps but that’s acceptable.

About Gadget, RouteMIDI AU is useful. Or you can sequence in Gadget. Even with RouteMIDI you will have to record GB midi in real-time in Gadget to export stems. When doing simple things, best way is to record audio via IAA. On more complex tracks, export Gadget stems to Files and copy them to local Gargeband file transfer iPhone folder: all files will be available in GB in loop browser (search them with Gadget song name, quick and easy).

Audiobus, AUM, Loopy are perfect on iPhone. Iceworks synths too, as is Zeeon. ApeMatrix is very nice too but perhaps need a Plus model for better use. Beathawk standalone is perfect. And I like Xequence too, very iPhone friendly.

• Just found a 'BUG' in BeatHawk on iPhone 8, iOS12.1.1.

'Edge Protection' is NOT turned on meaning its got super laggy touch response near the edges of the screen.
    Here's how to fix it...

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/46988469/how-to-enable-edge-protect-in-iphone-x
    (Applies to all iOS devices running iOS11 or iOS12).

Don't know if @bastienco is still monitoring this forum?