Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN is finally out!!

Comments

• @skiphunt said:

@JuanB Fingers crossed, but it may have been a corrupt install in my case. Though, I did try a reinstall last night too... but I didn't do all of the hard resets and memory resets, etc. So far, seems fine and stable. :)

Very happy to hear that!

The app still needs some improvements in stability, and we are working on that.

Thank you! :)

• @Jumpercollins said:
    It’s a fun Friday !

:) :) :) :) :)

• Had a freeze up in standalone, trying to load a demo preset, so any stability tweaks welcome.

Odd niggles aside it’s a cracking app, and I’m very happy to have it.

• I’ve forwarded the bugs I’ve found onto the developer and they’re on top of it. In the meantime, I’d make sure to use IAA sync rather than Link sync when hosted in an app. Be careful using Aphelian’s stop button and the host’s transport controls from within Aphelian too as this can cause crashes. Audiobus 3 seems to have more issues for me than some other hosts.

• edited January 2019

Another half hour play - this time triggering four AU’s in AUM - no crashes at all. So only two freezes in a couple of hours worth of noodling for me.

Getting some really good results from this - eat you heart out The Orb.

Loving this one.

• @MonzoPro said:
    Another half hour play - this time triggering four AU’s in AUM - no crashes at all. So only two freezes in a couple of hours worth of noodling for me.

Getting some really good results from this - eat you heart out The Orb.

Loving this one.

Your Friday night enthusiasm is encouraging (it's not JUST that I've got nothing else to do a Friday night, honest...). Out of interest what were you choosing to trigger in AUM?

• @InfoCheck said:
    I’ve forwarded the bugs I’ve found onto the developer and they’re on top of it. In the meantime, I’d make sure to use IAA sync rather than Link sync when hosted in an app. Be careful using Aphelian’s stop button and the host’s transport controls from within Aphelian too as this can cause crashes. Audiobus 3 seems to have more issues for me than some other hosts.

Hmmm... that might be a clue. I turned on link after originally installing and into it about an hour of play. That might be around the time I started having issues. Then after the first reinstall, I also turned the link setting on immediately after install.

This last time I did a reinstall I didn't bother turning on Link and have had no problems at all so far.

• @JuanB said:

@skiphunt said:

@JuanB Fingers crossed, but it may have been a corrupt install in my case. Though, I did try a reinstall last night too... but I didn't do all of the hard resets and memory resets, etc. So far, seems fine and stable. :)

Very happy to hear that!

The app still needs some improvements in stability, and we are working on that.

Thank you! :)

Loving the app by the way!!! Lots of ways to make the sound your own, but with great tools guide you on your way straight out of the gate. As easy, or as complex as you wanna get. Sweet! :)

• @JuanB congrats dude, after a full reset I too stopped experiencing the crashing. Had one minor problem when automating lots of parameters in spacecraft. Seems to work smoother in Audiobus than AUM for me. Such a fun app if any of you lot are on the fence

• @skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:
    I’ve forwarded the bugs I’ve found onto the developer and they’re on top of it. In the meantime, I’d make sure to use IAA sync rather than Link sync when hosted in an app. Be careful using Aphelian’s stop button and the host’s transport controls from within Aphelian too as this can cause crashes. Audiobus 3 seems to have more issues for me than some other hosts.

Hmmm... that might be a clue. I turned on link after originally installing and into it about an hour of play. That might be around the time I started having issues. Then after the first reinstall, I also turned the link setting on immediately after install.

This last time I did a reinstall I didn't bother turning on Link and have had no problems at all so far.

Yes avoid Link in Aphelian for now, if Aphelian is hosted in an app with the host running Link (e.g. Audiobus 3, AUM, apeMatrix) then you’ll effectively have Link sync indirectly if you’re using IAA host sync in Aphelian.

• @skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

Hmmm sounds possible, because I reporting no problems earlier on my end, but also no link enabled in either AUM or Aphelian. I'll see about confirming later with what yous and @infocheck are experiencing.

• I turned off Link and tried again but still have issues with scenes not changing and balls not visible etc so hasn't been the issue for me (ipad 12.9 2017 latest)

• @Carnbot said:
    I turned off Link and tried again but still have issues with scenes not changing and balls not visible etc so hasn't been the issue for me (ipad 12.9 2017 latest)

More than a couple of times (without any hosting or midi) the scene change has frozen the program. Still going at it with lots of enthusiasm though. :)

• Is it an IAA instrument or generator?

• @AudioGus said:
    Is it an IAA instrument or generator?

...meaning, can it sync to an IAA host without using Link?

• @AudioGus said:

Generator

• @skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:

Generator

Ahh, dammit. Was hoping to midi sync.

Thanks.

• @AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:

Generator

Thanks.

It has Inter-App Audio sync too

• @skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:

@skiphunt said:

@AudioGus said:

Generator

Thanks.

It has Inter-App Audio sync too

Oh sweet! Thanks!

• Looks interesting, I just wonder how long it'd hold my interest and how much I'd really use it. Dabbling in other generative (or 'semi-generative') stuff over the past year has left me uninspired.

• @oat_phipps said:
    Looks interesting, I just wonder how long it'd hold my interest and how much I'd really use it. Dabbling in other generative (or 'semi-generative') stuff over the past year has left me uninspired.

Same here. Except, there’s nothing generative about this app.

• @Blipsford_Baubie said:

@oat_phipps said:
    Looks interesting, I just wonder how long it'd hold my interest and how much I'd really use it. Dabbling in other generative (or 'semi-generative') stuff over the past year has left me uninspired.

Hmmm...
    What would you call it then?

• @gkillmaster said:
    Spent a little time and do like it! Maybe it was mentioned in another thread but would love to have more scales/modes to choose from. Maybe even microtuning!

Hi! Thanks for the feedback.
    I couldn't agree more!!
    It's already on the roadmap.

I always admired the tonal experiments of Wendy Carlos in "Sonic Seasonings" (1972), and one day a year ago, working on Aphelian, I came across her lectures called "Secrets of Synthesis". They were very revealing. From that day I'm thinking about adding more options in the frequency mode selector (the one that now has the options: NOTES/NOTES FLOW/FLOW).
    After stabilization and AU, this feature is a good candidate to continue the development.

:)

• @CracklePot said:

@Blipsford_Baubie said:

@oat_phipps said:

Hmmm...
    What would you call it then?

That’s a great question 🤔
    It’s a sequencer no doubt, with a much more clever and faster way of locking notes to a scale while quickly trying variations of rythm and note range or notes/ scales altogether. And you can customize the scale. You can also paint/erase notes so that is doesn’t sound so arpeggiated. If you want it to be an arp it’s definetly an arp on steroids. Or it can act like multiple lfos

Controlled chaos machine?

But seriously there may be a lot of sameyness sounding examples out there, but if you give a group of people who have never played guitar a guitar, they will all sound the same at first. Same can be said with any instrument.

• Yeah so finally trying scene changes to make something a little more interesting but it freezes everything for me as well. Loss of visual feedback and it stays stuck on the new scene.

So the scenes are labeled by letters, A,B,C ect. But can somebody shed light on what the numbers indicate on the scale settings page below? Whenever i choose notes and apply to all, i do see the all orbits updated on their respective keyboard. Then I select “2” and select different set of notes cause I’m thinking this is how to create a chord progression. Then i repeat steps with “3” ect. But when i switch back to 2 or 1 the keyboard isn’t highlighting the same notes that i had programmed. Am i missing a save function? Also if i close that center tab and reopen, it defaults back to key of C.

Any insights? Bug or comprehension?

• I used the term 'semi-generative' for it after watching the three tutorial videos from the dev, and I stand by it. You can switch and modify the shapes in real-time (as well as the scale) which changes the rhythm as well as the order of notes played.

However, your beginner's guitar analogy is noted, as I'm sure it can be something that can be predictable and 'scientific' once you've gained some mastery. I was just speaking as someone looking to kill a Friday night and musing if I'd ever extensively learn it and use it.

• @gusgranite said:
    Hi @JuanB - have you been following the audio performance issues that some iPads are having with animations/graphics? It makes me think that a ‘No animations’ option for Aphelian might help? I know this goes against the core design but it might make the app more usable in some circumstances?

Hi! Interesting observation.

I think that the graphics are in the very essence of the app, so turning them off it's a little too much, but maybe an option "FrameRate: 30 fps" could help in older iPads. The views with orbits are working at 60 fps now, which is nice to the eye, but could be heavy in older devices.

BTW, the problem only exists when the app is active on the screen. In background there is no GUI load.

• edited January 2019

@Blipsford_Baubie said:
    an arp on steroids. Or it can act like multiple lfos
    Controlled chaos machine?

Good definition!
    :) :)

• edited January 2019

@Blipsford_Baubie said:
    Yeah so finally trying scene changes to make something a little more interesting but it freezes everything for me as well. Loss of visual feedback and it stays stuck on the new scene.

Still working on that, I think that I'll have news tomorrow.

So the scenes are labeled by letters, A,B,C ect. But can somebody shed light on what the numbers indicate on the scale settings page below?

They are the intervals in the scale. For example, if you are in MAJOR, they are: 1M, 2m, 3m, 4M... etc. (if you are en "C": C, Dm, Em, F... etc)

Whenever i choose notes and apply to all, i do see the all orbits updated on their respective keyboard. Then I select “2” and select different set of notes cause I’m thinking this is how to create a chord progression. Then i repeat steps with “3” ect. But when i switch back to 2 or 1 the keyboard isn’t highlighting the same notes that i had programmed. Am i missing a save function? Also if i close that center tab and reopen, it defaults back to key of C.

>

When you select the 3 elements from abobe (key, scale, interval), the "buffer" keyboard (the one from the center) shows the result of your selection. This temporary keyboard can be edited.
    Then, you have to select one of the "apply" buttons from bellow to apply the configuration in the real orbits. You can alter an specific orbit, or "All".

I hope that this helps.

• edited January 2019

That does help JuanB, thanks for the breakdown.

Well put @oat_phipps > @oat_phipps said:

I used the term 'semi-generative' for it after wiatching the three tutorial videos from the dev, and I stand by it. You can switch and modify the shapes in real-time (as well as the scale) which changes the rhythm as well as the order of notes played.

However, your beginner's guitar analogy is noted, as I'm sure it can be something that can be predictable and 'scientific' once you've gained some mastery. I was just speaking as someone looking to kill a Friday night and musing if I'd ever extensively learn it and use it.

I too have been uninspired having bought many different generative and semi-generative apps. I’ve recently came to realize about generative music that it’s enjoyed best when listening to other peoples work. That’s just me.