Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN is finally out!!

Comments

• @skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:
    Getting some crashes. Delete, reinstall, hard reset helped... at first, then started crashing again.

Also, in the midi panel the drums are in the center. It looks as if you can send midi out to an external drum synth, but that’s no working. Is it supposed to? The 4 planets send midi out fine.

I was able to send the drum MIDI out to trigger the Vatanator app. Depending upon the drum synth used, you may need to remap the notes Aphelian sends out though at this point it’s been far too buggy for me to want to invest time into the app beyond documenting its bugs.

I got it to briefly work by hitting midi panic, then off/on on the midi... then it crashed. I might also just wait until an update... pretty buggy so far. Have faith though.. Was there a beta on this one? My crashes haven't been just midi related. A couple of presets with the built-in synths were crashing consistently too... until I did reinstall with hard reset.

Standalone - iPad Pro 10.5 - iOS12.1.1

It has a lot of bugs hosted in Audiobus 3:
    1. Switching to link can cause a crash
    2. Won’t remember scenes
    3. Will freeze when you try to switch scenes
    4. Won’t hear sounds until you switch back to Aphelian

They’re not minor bugs, they kill whatever you’re trying to do.

• great video can you do a video of how sample import works? is it only for the drum sequencer or is there a sampler instead of synth options?> @haulin_notes said:

Holy cow! 🐄 I was only following the progress of this app a little, though it looked fascinating and hypnotic with all the multiple sequencing options and such. Having tried it, i was not expecting the synth engine that it has. It is reminiscent of (my dear departed) Make Noise DPO. Many many different audio rate modulations possible. Total West Coast / Buchla possibilities. In this demo, i only focus on the synth, and modulate it “manually”. But of course, most if not all are assignable to the orbital sequencer (or whatever it’s called! It has planet and satellite orbits. Very deep but intuitive, still need to explore it). Perhaps the synth page could be slightly enlarged, some of it is rather tiny, but that’s a small quibble.

Impressive! 👍 The creator of this was swinging for the fences. Five stars right out of gate. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

• @InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:
    Getting some crashes. Delete, reinstall, hard reset helped... at first, then started crashing again.

Also, in the midi panel the drums are in the center. It looks as if you can send midi out to an external drum synth, but that’s no working. Is it supposed to? The 4 planets send midi out fine.

I was able to send the drum MIDI out to trigger the Vatanator app. Depending upon the drum synth used, you may need to remap the notes Aphelian sends out though at this point it’s been far too buggy for me to want to invest time into the app beyond documenting its bugs.

I got it to briefly work by hitting midi panic, then off/on on the midi... then it crashed. I might also just wait until an update... pretty buggy so far. Have faith though.. Was there a beta on this one? My crashes haven't been just midi related. A couple of presets with the built-in synths were crashing consistently too... until I did reinstall with hard reset.

2. Won’t remember scenes

Seems that some aren’t having as many problems. And I know at least a couple of them do not have Pro iPads. I bet the crashing bugginess is related to animation on machines that support faster display frame rates and alternate screen sizes. Is you iPad a Pro too?

• @eross said:
    great video can you do a video of how sample import works? is it only for the drum sequencer or is there a sampler instead of synth options?> @haulin_notes said:

Holy cow! 🐄 I was only following the progress of this app a little, though it looked fascinating and hypnotic with all the multiple sequencing options and such. Having tried it, i was not expecting the synth engine that it has. It is reminiscent of (my dear departed) Make Noise DPO. Many many different audio rate modulations possible. Total West Coast / Buchla possibilities. In this demo, i only focus on the synth, and modulate it “manually”. But of course, most if not all are assignable to the orbital sequencer (or whatever it’s called! It has planet and satellite orbits. Very deep but intuitive, still need to explore it). Perhaps the synth page could be slightly enlarged, some of it is rather tiny, but that’s a small quibble.

Impressive! 👍 The creator of this was swinging for the fences. Five stars right out of gate. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Sample import not there yet

• @MonzoPro said:
    Just a quick demo for anyone who's interested - this came from 5 minutes mucking about with the app, which was triggering two Aparillo's and a Sunrizer:

Nice. Stylish somehow. Hear reports of bugs which I care not about, no doubt will be fixed up. Question would be: Is it approachable/accessible to the boys at the back of the class or is it more for the boffins?

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:
    Just a quick demo for anyone who's interested - this came from 5 minutes mucking about with the app, which was triggering two Aparillo's and a Sunrizer:

Nice. Stylish somehow. Hear reports of bugs which I care not about, no doubt will be fixed up. Question would be: Is it approachable/accessible to the boys at the back of the class or is it more for the boffins?

Both. It’s easy for the kids larking about like us to get a thing going, but for more control over the results there’s a bit of learning to do.

Haven’t tried it since doing that one this morning, so will see how it behaves tonight.

If there’s bugs to squash they need to get on the case quickly.

• edited January 2019

By the way... I'm not one to get bent out of shape for bugs right after launch. I've beta tested enough now that I know it's to be expected for the most part.

However, this is almost unusable for me at present state. For example. I just reinstalled AGAIN with a hard reset. Launched app. Played one preset. Then, started with a new init. Changed one moon pattern... crash.

I pre-ordered based on the dev's pedigre, so I have no doubt they'll get it sorted... though, I'm a little surprised that it's this buggy out of the gate.

As I mentioned before... since there are some who aren't having as many bugs so far... and I know some of them don't have "Pro" ipads... while I'm fairly sure most of us reporting bugs thus far do have "Pros"... I bet it's related to that fast 120fps frame rate due to the animations. I'm going to try turning that off and see if it's more stable then.

• @skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

2. Won’t remember scenes

Seems that some aren’t having as many problems. And I know at least a couple of them do not have Pro iPads. I bet the crashing bugginess is related to animation on machines that support faster display frame rates and alternate screen sizes. Is you iPad a Pro too?

I tried on an iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 2 both running iOS 12.1.1. Minor bugs are one thing, but these are show stoppers which should have been caught during routine beta testing. Very disappointed given the developers past history. Hopefully they’ll regroup and take care of this. This is the buggiest app release I’ve experienced in over a year.

• I haven't tested it since this morning, but if I come across more bugs then it'll confirm once and for all that pre-ordering is a thing to avoid in future. Next time I'll wait for the forum feedback.

• @MonzoPro said:
    I haven't tested it since this morning, but if I come across more bugs then it'll confirm once and for all that pre-ordering is a thing to avoid in future. Next time I'll wait for the forum feedback.

Agreed. And, as a result, I am -most unusually!- sitting quietly on the fence....

• @skiphunt said:
    By the way... I'm not one to get bent out of shape for bugs right after launch. I've beta tested enough now that I know it's to be expected for the most part.

However, this is almost unusable for me at present state. For example. I just reinstalled AGAIN with a hard reset. Launched app. Played one preset. Then, started with a new init. Changed one moon pattern... crash.

I pre-ordered based on the dev's pedigre, so I have no doubt they'll get it sorted... though, I'm a little surprised that it's this buggy out of the gate.

As I mentioned before... since there are some who aren't having as many bugs so far... and I know some of them don't have "Pro" ipads... while I'm fairly sure most of us reporting bugs thus far do have "Pros"... I bet it's related to that fast 120fps frame rate due to the animations. I'm going to try turning that off and see if it's more stable then.

unfortunately that's not it for me, I always have that turned off. But I do get significantly less problems when i disable midi out in the app.

• aww that’s a bummer. it will be cool when they do > @Halftone said:

@eross said:
    great video can you do a video of how sample import works? is it only for the drum sequencer or is there a sampler instead of synth options?> @haulin_notes said:

Sample import not there yet

• @InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

2. Won’t remember scenes

I tried on an iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 2 both running iOS 12.1.1. Minor bugs are one thing, but these are show stoppers which should have been caught during routine beta testing. Very disappointed given the developers past history. Hopefully they’ll regroup and take care of this. This is the buggiest app release I’ve experienced in over a year.

I just tried turning the fast frame rate off, and it was noticeably more stable... though, it still crashed. I think I'm going to set this aside for now and wait for the first update. And, watch the demos, etc. It's a very cool app that I don't regret buying. I do hope many of the bugs get squashed quickly so I can get back to having fun with it. :)

• I have used this app extensively with my iPad Air 2 iOS 12.1.1 and experienced no bugs using the internal sound engine. The only issue came when I connected to other apps with virtual MIDI and all played well until I tried to copy and play a new scene. Selecting the new scene freezes Aphelian it continues to play but becomes unresponsive to touch. I repeated the same issue when connected to Gadget, KEW and Zeeon. The dev is aware and has an example project file.

Actually, one time Aphelian did this through AudioBus and all of my work was restored with state saving so that was impressive.

Overall I have found this to be an incredibly competent app and has been no way unplayable - far from it.

• @skiphunt @InfoCheck @Carnbot

Hi!
    We're sorry for the MIDI bugs!
    I will start working on them NOW!

• edited January 2019

@Trueyorky said:
    I have used this app extensively with my iPad Air 2 iOS 12.1.1 and experienced no bugs using the internal sound engine. The only issue came when I connected to other apps with virtual MIDI and all played well until I tried to copy and play a new scene. Selecting the new scene freezes Aphelian it continues to play but becomes unresponsive to touch. I repeated the same issue when connected to Gadget, KEW and Zeeon. The dev is aware and has an example project file.

Actually, one time Aphelian did this through AudioBus and all of my work was restored with state saving so that was impressive.

Overall I have found this to be an incredibly competent app and has been no way unplayable - far from it.

So, since this just launched last night and you say you've used the app extensively... then you're a beta tester? I see that you're an iPad Air2 user. Many who've not had many problems are non-pro users it seems. I think most of us reporting the most bugs are "Pro" users... maybe a connection.

• edited January 2019

@JuanB said:
    @skiphunt @InfoCheck @Carnbot

Hi!

No worries. LOVE the app! No regret and would buy again.

My bugs and crashes are occurring even without using midi at all. I'm even getting crashes running your demos.

• I tried it with no MIDI out hosted in Audiobus 3 and it crashes when I switch from scene to song mode. I wonder if they released the correct version of the app as it has had so many different issues for me that I would have thought they’d caught them during beta testing?

• @JuanB said:
    @skiphunt @InfoCheck @Carnbot

Hi!

Thank you. Where can we send bug reports and do you have a beta testing program? I would like to be proactive in helping you figure out what’s going on.

• @Trueyorky said:
    I have used this app extensively with my iPad Air 2 iOS 12.1.1 and experienced no bugs using the internal sound engine. The only issue came when I connected to other apps with virtual MIDI and all played well until I tried to copy and play a new scene. Selecting the new scene freezes Aphelian it continues to play but becomes unresponsive to touch. I repeated the same issue when connected to Gadget, KEW and Zeeon. The dev is aware and has an example project file.

+1 no crashes for me, I 've already pieced together a song using the song mode. Sent out midi to other apps etc.

Using an ipad air 2 lastest. However I've only used it standalone and in AUM.

• edited January 2019

@InfoCheck said:
    I tried it with no MIDI out hosted in Audiobus 3 and it crashes when I switch from scene to song mode. I wonder if they released the correct version of the app as it has had so many different issues for me that I would have thought they’d caught them during beta testing?

Wondered the same. Performs more like a first beta than launch candidate. Accidentally releasing the wrong version is not that uncommon as you know. Are your bugs/crashes as bad on your non-pro ipads? I'm noticing a trend that those who are not having issues are mostly using iPad Air2.

• edited January 2019

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:
    I tried it with no MIDI out hosted in Audiobus 3 and it crashes when I switch from scene to song mode. I wonder if they released the correct version of the app as it has had so many different issues for me that I would have thought they’d caught them during beta testing?

Wondered the same. Performs more like a first beta than launch candidate. Accidentally releasing the wrong version is not that uncommon as you know. Are your bugs/crashes as bad on your non-pro ipads?

I don’t have any iPad Pros. Perhaps they tested on iPad Pros and didn’t have access to other iPads?

I purchased an iPad Pro in the fall of 2017 and returned it because it didn’t perform as well as my iPad Air 2 on the newly released iOS 11. Plus my battery on the iPad Air 2 was swollen and replaced for $99. Definitely going to hold onto my replacement iPad Air 2 for as long as possible before upgrading to see what Apple does.

• No worries. LOVE the app! No regret and would buy again.
    My bugs and crashes are occurring even without using midi at all. I'm even getting crashes running your demos.

Thanks!
    It's strange, I knew that there were some elusive bugs that needed to be hunt down, but in my setup they weren't frequent at all. This is the first time that the app hits a wider number of configurations. We are a small team (1 audio dev, 1 visual dev, 1 art designer) driven by an indie spirit, but we like quality and our objetive is to provide a reliable tool.

Sorry for the inconveniences, they will be resolved! :/ :)

• @InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

Wondered the same. Performs more like a first beta than launch candidate. Accidentally releasing the wrong version is not that uncommon as you know. Are your bugs/crashes as bad on your non-pro ipads?

I don’t have any iPad Pros. Perhaps they tested on iPad Pros and didn’t have access to other iPads?

Hmmm... well that blows that theory. I wonder if there’s a correlation regarding bugs or no bugs between those who pre-ordered and those who purchased at launch?

• I’m going to try another delete, hard reset, memory reset and then install again fresh. I’ve had it happen before that it took a couple of reinstalls before I got a stable version.

• @InfoCheck said:
    Thank you. Where can we send bug reports and do you have a beta testing program? I would like to be proactive in helping you figure out what’s going on.

Yes!
    [email protected]
    We will be grateful to receive bug descriptions

Thank you!

• @InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:

@InfoCheck said:

I purchased an iPad Pro in the fall of 2017 and returned it because it didn’t perform as well as my iPad Air 2 on the newly released iOS 11. Plus my battery on the iPad Air 2 swell and went bad. Definitely going to hold onto my replacement iPad Air 2 for as long as possible before upgrading to see what Apple does.

@JuanB said:

@InfoCheck said:

Yes!
    [email protected]

Thank you!

@JuanB said:

@InfoCheck said:

Yes!
    [email protected]

Thank you!

I’ll delete the app, reinstall, do more testing, and email you my results.

• Sounds really cool but I’m glad I didn’t pre-order, I will wait till they squash those bugs and sort midi out.

• @InfoCheck said:

We tested the app in iPad Air, Air 2 and iPad pro.
    I will focus the MIDI/scenes bug hunt in the older ones.

• edited January 2019

@reasOne It can indeed do ambient -- > Colossal Mass-6 preset
    Working on making my own.

@JuanB I love it. Too much futzing with MIDI does cause crashes though.