Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

APHELIAN is finally out!!

Comments

• How's it handle slower, down tempo, chill wave kinda stuff? All I've heard so far is more hyper upbeat stuff

• I’m liking it a lot :)
    Lots of fun. Having some crashing and freezing issues sometimes in Audiobus. Needing to restart it quite often.

I’ve been sending x/y midi out of the patterns to gestrument and it’s a bit inconsistent with gaps and jumps here and there, wondering if that’s a bug too.

Would be great to draw your own patterns perhaps.

But lots of potential here and not disappointed.

• Getting a lot of crackle switching between Aphelian and 3rd party apps. Sure it’ll get fixed, it’s a fascinating app and very innovative. Love it!

• Oh and the parameter automation is cool too!

• @reasOne said:
    How's it handle slower, down tempo, chill wave kinda stuff? All I've heard so far is more hyper upbeat stuff

Can definitely come up with something, I hooked it up to D1 and slowed things down with a glitchy type sample from blocs wave and I’m thinking as long as you get creative you can use this to come up with anything.

• edited January 2019

picked this up to have a nosey since everyone is raving about it :-)

Had a few crashes - what turns out to be the tone map - if you click on it in a little pop up for the orbit - which I can't find again right this second! it always crashes

I'll need to see if it can be subverted to make more of the kind of stuff I make these days but I can imagine it would have been a lot of fun back in my days of repetitive beats and chemical enhancement ;-)

nice

edit; oh yes - down tempo and without the drums - getting some nice ambient stuff going on....lovely

• I seem to get regular freezing of the app when using scenes in Audiobus.

• Checked ‘purchases’ and download link was there, so no issues with the pre-order.

Had a quick play - it’s quite mad, but fun. Hooked it up to Aparillo without any problems, but Synthmaster 1 wasn’t interested.

Looking forward to exploring this one tonight, I reckon I’ll get a few mad tracks from it.

• @reasOne said:
    How's it handle slower, down tempo, chill wave kinda stuff? All I've heard so far is more hyper upbeat stuff

You should check one of the preloaded demos which I think runs at 20 bpm - it is awesome as is the app :)

• @reasOne said:

Delicious! I have a little jam in the making in which i drive sunrizer and stuff in AUM via Aphelian and it’s really nice. It’s a wonderful sequencer! 💪🏼😎 so creative and versatile. Just clever

• Nice tool!

****Multi-Channel-Out would be great!

• Interesting but I faced a lot of crashes when sending midi to AUM. The only solution I have found to make it work is to use midifire in between and even with this, it is very fragile. I think this app has potential but the midi out has to be strongly improved. Very buggy at the moment.

• Not a good start to the new year resolution to buy less apps. But at least it’s a lot of fun :)

• @cuscolima said:
    Interesting but I faced a lot of crashes when sending midi to AUM. The only solution I have found to make it work is to use midifire in between and even with this, it is very fragile. I think this app has potential but the midi out has to be strongly improved. Very buggy at the moment.

Yep freeze here too. Sending MIDI to a couple of synths in AUM worked fine for a while, then the app froze up.

• edited January 2019

instacrash here

• I had a quick play this morning and found it great for generating ideas quickly. It's also a true touch instrument, loving the UI. I'll check out the midi capabilities tonight but initial thoughts were very positive.

• @stanfree said:
    This download just past midnight, UK time. I have been playing it most of the night and l love it, no problems many thanks to the developers.

Just grabbed it here this morning too. Can’t wait to dive in later. Going to be so much fun. Looks and sounds like something I could enjoy getting lost in for hours! 😊🎧🇬🇧

• Hopefully they can fix the crashes with midi out. Long term outlook for the app it’s described as a composition tool and sequencer.

@JuanB are there any plans to turn it into a AU host for instruments and effects maybe as a Pro version or IAP within the 4 Sequencer engines or you happy to let it drive other AU hosts. If it goes AU this may not be needed. Just a long term thought as as a AU host I think this could work rather well and it would keep it nicely self contained.

• Worth trying a full reboot - this sometimes clears up any new app glitches. Just did that with mine, and had a nice jam recorded into AUM with no freeze up this time.

• somebody mentioned you can import samples? does it sequence them, and then cross fade between them as you move to different quadrants? any videos out there explaining how it works?

• Spent a little time and do like it! Maybe it was mentioned in another thread but would love to have more scales/modes to choose from. Maybe even microtuning!

• edited January 2019

The app has some significant bugs. Will need to systematically go through the app to document them all. Hope they can squash them soon. Lots of crashes and freezing not functional for me and regret the preorder given its current state. The developers beta testing needs to be improved so they don’t end up with a flawed release like this one in the future.

• Getting some crashes. Delete, reinstall, hard reset helped... at first, then started crashing again.

Also, in the midi panel the drums are in the center. It looks as if you can send midi out to an external drum synth, but that’s no working. Is it supposed to? The 4 planets send midi out fine.

• Yeah, it's great but pretty buggy. I guess the testing pool needed to be a bit wider. I'm getting a fair number of different bugs but I'm sure they will be ironed out.

• @skiphunt said:
    Getting some crashes. Delete, reinstall, hard reset helped... at first, then started crashing again.

Also, in the midi panel the drums are in the center. It looks as if you can send midi out to an external drum synth, but that’s no working. Is it supposed to? The 4 planets send midi out fine.

I was able to send the drum MIDI out to trigger the Vatanator app. Depending upon the drum synth used, you may need to remap the notes Aphelian sends out though at this point it’s been far too buggy for me to want to invest time into the app beyond documenting its bugs.

• I think it's mostly related to midi, when you just use the app without midi it seems more stable. But since midi is how I want to use it the most this is currently a bit frustrating :)

• edited January 2019

@InfoCheck said:

@skiphunt said:
    Getting some crashes. Delete, reinstall, hard reset helped... at first, then started crashing again.

I was able to send the drum MIDI out to trigger the Vatanator app. Depending upon the drum synth used, you may need to remap the notes Aphelian sends out though at this point it’s been far too buggy for me to want to invest time into the app beyond documenting its bugs.

I got it to briefly work by hitting midi panic, then off/on on the midi... then it crashed. I might also just wait until an update... pretty buggy so far. Have faith though.. Was there a beta on this one? My crashes haven't been just midi related. A couple of presets with the built-in synths were crashing consistently too... until I did reinstall with hard reset.

Standalone - iPad Pro 10.5 - iOS12.1.1

• Just a quick demo for anyone who's interested - this came from 5 minutes mucking about with the app, which was triggering two Aparillo's and a Sunrizer:

• edited January 2019

Holy cow! 🐄 I was only following the progress of this app a little, though it looked fascinating and hypnotic with all the multiple sequencing options and such. Having tried it, i was not expecting the synth engine that it has. It is reminiscent of (my dear departed) Make Noise DPO. Many many different audio rate modulations possible. Total West Coast / Buchla possibilities. In this demo, i only focus on the synth, and modulate it “manually”. But of course, most if not all are assignable to the orbital sequencer (or whatever it’s called! It has planet and satellite orbits. Very deep but intuitive, still need to explore it). Perhaps the synth page could be slightly enlarged, some of it is rather tiny, but that’s a small quibble.

Impressive! 👍 The creator of this was swinging for the fences. Five stars right out of gate. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️