Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Goals?

Just curious what everyone’s goals are with this hobby. Most seem to agree that there’s little to no money to be made doing this stuff. Even getting people to listen for free and provide feedback is challenging. Does anyone have any realistic goals they care to share?

I’m not asking WHY we do it. We do it because we love it. I’m asking if anyone has any real world goals associated with doing what we love?

Comments

• My goal is to kiss @JohnnyGoodyear full on the lips.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    My goal is to kiss @JohnnyGoodyear full on the lips.

As was mine. But now what?

• Because I can, and always wanted to... and, frankly, possibly should've tried (but I was too "responsible") long ago. Now I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so my the quantity of my output is only a couple songs per year. But, damn, do I love those songs! :D

• I co founded a record label with a couple of my buddy's called, illektron tapes, and one of my goals is to give us a platform to be heard, I want all the underrated artists doing similar music to be heard! So my goal is to make dope music and have dope artists on the label, so when people see the name illektron, they know what to expect!

Also I want everyone to know I make everything on iOS so that our platform gets eyes on it and helps the community grow, helps the devs keep developing, and everyone continuing to jam!

• My first and attainable goal is to keep finishing songs and putting them online.
    Any further musical goals that are more difficult probably build on that first step anyways. Plus if I drop dead at least I got something out there.

Beyond that Id love to do a soundtrack, play live and get music released on a proper label.

• /me puts down the botox needle and mutters my work here is done....

• edited January 2019

Goal is to get a more realized and coherent album out this year. I’ve learned and grown quite a bit since releasing my first one 2 years ago..

• @1nsomniak said:
    My first and attainable goal is to keep finishing songs and putting them online.
    Any further musical goals that are more difficult probably build on that first step anyways. Plus if I drop dead at least I got something out there.

Beyond that Id love to do a soundtrack, play live and get music released on a proper label.

I'm with all this!

• Try to find a way to way exercise while making music. Maybe I need a mic and a dance routine...

• Finally cobble together some damn releases with all these snippets. Ace the f out of my music classes when I start college in the fall (late bloomer, starting at 33 yrs old) especially Indian raga singing.

I have a lot of raw talent and have been rather directionless with my discipline so I’m happy to be tacking a music major onto my
    Psych major.

• I want to have fun while creating music (big time) and maybe fire up some jams on Twitter. If I have a special grace I may release and finish actually a track in Nanostudio ;)

• I’ve been making these noises since I was a kid, so not doing it is not an option.

This year’s goal is to archive what I’ve done over the years and organise it into something interesting, improve the quality of the new stuff, and to take what I’m doing more seriously. I can’t expect others to do that if I keep dismissing it myself as ‘old rubbish’. Worth a try anyway.

Some collaborations would be nice, and maybe a few gigs. But whatever happens, I’ll still have a ball doing this stuff.

• edited January 2019

With my music making hat on rather than the app making one...

My feeling increasingly as I get older is that things that bring pleasure into the world are increasingly important. A lot of my career has been in business/enterprise/corporate (albeit from small companies serving that world). People seem to think what I do is "important" just because it pays ok and seems official - but my sister, who is a teacher, does way more important work IMO.

At one point I worked for an F1 team and had this discussion with someone there - they were saying "well building racing cars isn't real is it?" - my view was that actually they brought pleasure and excitement into millions of peoples lives around the world - and that's way better than helping businesses move their money about etc.

I've come to the conclusion that making music - even if all you do is bring a little smile or moment of happiness or human connection into one or two other peoples lives - you are increasing the good stuff in life - that has an effect. Imagine your life without music.. it would be much worse. Sad you can't make a living from it - but I would argue it is still a vital activity.

(& goals: (since I've gone a bit off topic ;-) & yes the OP said specifically not 'why' but this is something I feel strongly about and couldn't help myself) - to play out live this year - got to make myself do it)

• my goal is to improve my lyrics writing skills, maybe switching to my native language (but i suffer of an enormous writer's block in italian)

• To play more and program less

• @pagefall said:
    With my music making hat on rather than the app making one...

My feeling increasingly as I get older is that things that bring pleasure into the world are increasingly important. A lot of my career has been in business/enterprise/corporate (albeit from small companies serving that world). People seem to think what I do is "important" just because it pays ok and seems official - but my sister, who is a teacher, does way more important work IMO.

At one point I worked for an F1 team and had this discussion with someone there - they were saying "well building racing cars isn't real is it?" - my view was that actually they brought pleasure and excitement into millions of peoples lives around the world - and that's way better than helping businesses move their money about etc.

I've come to the conclusion that making music - even if all you do is bring a little smile or moment of happiness or human connection into one or two other peoples lives - you are increasing the good stuff in life - that has an effect. Imagine your life without music.. it would be much worse. Sad you can't make a living from it - but I would argue it is still a vital activity.

(& goals: (since I've gone a bit off topic ;-) & yes the OP said specifically not 'why' but this is something I feel strongly about and couldn't help myself) - to play out live this year - got to make myself do it)

Very well said and agree!

• I want to catch some decent carp before I become too old for sitting out in the cold (or I die) - my music making is often just a bit of fun between angling and spending time with family.

Sometimes I’m making music to help relax after my head pains.

I do enjoy chatting on here at times, but have no desire to kiss anyone here! :p

• @reasOne said:
    I co founded a record label with a couple of my buddy's called, illektron tapes, and one of my goals is to give us a platform to be heard, I want all the underrated artists doing similar music to be heard! So my goal is to make dope music and have dope artists on the label, so when people see the name illektron, they know what to expect!

Also I want everyone to know I make everything on iOS so that our platform gets eyes on it and helps the community grow, helps the devs keep developing, and everyone continuing to jam!

Excellent. All the best with this venture. Maybe some of us will be knocking on your virtual door soon!

• edited January 2019

Realistic goals? Probably not. However, my ultimate goal is to create some symphonic type of works. One of which I’ve been sketching out for a long time. Currently I create all kinds of different tunes, from jazz, rock and ambient to experimental electronic junk, so where the symphonic stuff comes in (and out) I’m not sure, but it’s still a goal.

• @TozBourne said:
    Realistic goals? Probably not. However, my ultimate goal is to create some symphonic type of works. One of which I’ve been sketching out for a long time. Currently I create all kinds of different tunes, from jazz, rock and ambient to experimental electronic junk, so where the symphonic stuff comes in (and out) I’m not sure, but it’s still a goal.

And a good one Mister Toz. I'm pretty certain, as we creep into our decrepitude, that the thing of having the goals, doing the work, noodling away, is actually the best goal there is...

• To continue making music as my sole means of creative expression. Nothing more, nothing less.

• edited January 2019

Main goal related to iPad music is just getting my brain around making anything from an electronic sounds starting point. I have always loved synths but I come from a classical, jazz, metal background. Play many instruments but only ever consistently been a singer/songwriter.

Months ago, bandmate suggested we try an electronic approach since our drummer was moving. Hell ya, I've always liked electronic beats, but I've always been the guy in the band that wanted to add more synths and got vetoed ha.

My 1st attempts were basically copying the live drum parts from the last album for a few songs in midi.

Hated it.

Version 2s were a lot better because I started thinking a bit more out of my mental boxes. And each day I review and edit a song, I feel a little more free and stuff is getting groovy now.

But I still feel the learning curve. Like, compared to a live drums, bass, guitar recording, I don't have to think about it much, I can just lay down tracks. Here I'm still thinking in terms of what would a real drummer do.

We are also working on a video ..partly to showcase our new electronic sound for gigs and such. Shooting some tonight, wish me luck.

Money and all that...eh..
    I had scholarship offers out of high school to play jazz or classical (upright bass). I felt at the time like the bands I liked, they were not even household names, so a career in music would be playing stuff I didn't like.

Friends in a similar boat from that time, some are in fact pros. But they work much longer hours than me. I'm not that zealous. This is just my yoga.

• To not think about tools and process more than music.

• edited January 2019

My goals for this and next years are:

• Set my own web about artistic coaching (business plan management too).
    • Set my yt channel for free content and funneling tutorials.
    • Continue studying music theory for improve my piano playing.
    • Continue attending entrepneur courses at goverment facilities to improve my skills.
    • Continue building my own hard/soft tools for all of this (and probably share some tutorials in secondary channel).
    • Continue doing small gigs until I get ready my covers repertory (and skills).
    • Continue working on my own material (Instrumentals and also new songs) to share with my audience (when it appears of course).
    • Build my own rvenue flows based on that meanwhile I take care of my old parents. Not discarding jump into Mallorca Island (again) to work a seasson (6 months) to make some cash. In fact I could done it last year as light technician/fitness monitor but my gut said stay at home and it was right (my mum got ill and they need my help).
    • ASAP (less than an another year) get all of this done and jump into Mallorca if necessary (other ways gone not enough revenue or so) this time as Musician.

If anyone is interested in something I said, feel free to ask and I will try to share thoughts. Also at my IG/FB I share some offers I found in dedicated groups/pages. As example:

Regular jobs tier go like this:

• As tourist entertainer: 850€ (taxfree) joining animajobs group (also check turijobs for other appliances). Housing and food supplied by the hotel.
    • The same of above plus light technician: 1000€ (taxfree). I had the offer over the table last March.
    • As Personal Trainer: Probably similar but working half time.
    • As Musician: around 100€ for gig making it 1500-2500€ but lots of work also.
    • As Musician for Spanish cruise: 1500€ aprox. Less work but 6 month inside a boat.
    • As Musician for International cruise: over 1500€ but you need an international account, visa card and other things I still not have clear. Usually they don’t accept backing tracks...
    • As Musician in Monaco: up to 4000€ and they are searching for easy listening music (chilled) and don’t care about backing tracks (but the music should be original covers with own signature etc)
      it could seem impossible but this is first hand info from friends working in th business so believe me or not, I just don’t care...

The point is about sacrifices and personal bag. In my own example I can’t let my parents alone at this moment (but I’m single without debts etc etc).
    It’s not impossible but not so easy neither. If I can manage properly the youtube channel I will avoid go Mallorca plan maybe (or do it for two seasons to get a bag of money and search for my own place).

I hope it helps others to take perspective or inspiration...
    I&I

• ...meanwhile I take care of my old parents.

@TheDubbyLabby ... I know how this goes and how everything hinges on this stuff. Good on ya and all the best. Being a super motivated high achiever helps!

• edited January 2019

@echoopera said:
    Goal is to get a more realized and coherent album out this year. I’ve learned and grown quite a bit since releasing my first one 2 years ago..

Heard lots of good stuff from you over the last year, surprised no album for 2, there’s got to be enough songs for one!

• @gusgranite said:
    Try to find a way to way exercise while making music. Maybe I need a mic and a dance routine...

This makes me miss summer, I have a few prime jamming spots where I’d walk my dog and grab a snack or drink and jam on iOS in the sun.

• @1nsomniak said:

@echoopera said:

Heard lots of good stuff from you over the last year, surprised no album for 2, there’s got to be enough songs for one!

A great many thanks for the encouragement sir. I truly appreciate that :)

• @kinkujin said:
    ...meanwhile I take care of my old parents.

@TheDubbyLabby ... I know how this goes and how everything hinges on this stuff. Good on ya and all the best. Being a super motivated high achiever helps!

Thanks mate. It’s Justice, they grow me up so I love to be here to help them. Sometimes harder than I will want but worth every effort and bigger lesson in my whole life. :heart:

• My goal is to get better at sound design so I can make more improved and interesting soundbanks available, hopefully to inspire and spark your imagination and creativity! 🤓🎧🎹🎛🎚🔊🎼