Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Update to 12.1.3 beta 2 fixed stuttering in Model 15 and others

Just thought I’d pop in and let you guys know, I’ve seen lots of other people w new iPad Pro and or ios12 having crackling/stuttering/high cpu usage in some apps. Yep, update and it’s gone, finally.

Comments

• edited December 2018

Oh my! If it's true, it would be one of the best xmas presents I have ever had seriously :)

• Shoot. I need to catch the beta train then?!?

• Thank you for the update! I’m not selling my 10.5 until I know this is fully resolved!!!!

• @Norbert said:
    Oh my! If it's true, it would be one of the best xmas presents I have ever had seriously :)

Still no issues, got a few more hours in, it’s like night and day difference compared to how it was before update :) hope you have same result, if you were a good boy this year lol.

• That's good to know! Apple have confirmed the fix in the beta, but I don't currently have access to a new iPad, could someone with LayR confirm this for me meanwhile, thanks.

• @LivingMemorySoftware said:
    That's good to know! Apple have confirmed the fix in the beta, but I don't currently have access to a new iPad, could someone with LayR confirm this for me meanwhile, thanks.

LayR working wonderfully with lots of timbres, been using for like an hour and a half.

• @DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

@LivingMemorySoftware said:
    That's good to know! Apple have confirmed the fix in the beta, but I don't currently have access to a new iPad, could someone with LayR confirm this for me meanwhile, thanks.

LayR working wonderfully with lots of timbres, been using for like an hour and a half.

😍

• Still waiting for the official release... :*

• An apple unicorn update? How long can it take for a billion dollar company to fix that. iPad is now 2 months on the market (almost).

waitingmode

• Been waiting too. My next NS2 title will be heavy on demanding Auv3s.

• You folks know we just had Christmas and New Year, right?

• @mistercharlie said:
    You folks know we just had Christmas and New Year, right?

What are those? new apps?

• I installed the 12.1.3 beta 2 on my 11” iPad recently and all issues are pretty much gone.

I have just had Cubasis running Zeeon, Model 15, Sunrizer, Lorentz and iSEM all as AUv3, and an inter app audio instance of iSpark. All ran live together where I couldn’t even get 2 tracks running without cracks before.

I’ve still noticed the CPU spike but when it does the utilisation then dramatially drops but without any cracks or pops, so I’m guessing that could be the performance cores kicking in or clocking up as they’re meant to.

Looking forward to doing some more testing..

• edited January 2019

@Mart said:
    I installed the 12.1.3 beta 2 on my 11” iPad recently and all issues are pretty much gone.

I have just had Cubasis running Zeeon, Model 15, Sunrizer, Lorentz and iSEM all as AUv3, and an inter app audio instance of iSpark. All ran live together where I couldn’t even get 2 tracks running without cracks before.

I’ve still noticed the CPU spike but when it does the utilisation then dramatially drops but without any cracks or pops, so I’m guessing that could be the performance cores kicking in or clocking up as they’re meant to.

Looking forward to doing some more testing..

How about the battery then? Did you notice it drops significantly faster compared to before?

• No I didn’t notice it to be much different but it want a particularly long test.

My setup includes a midi synth through a USB-C dongle with power attached so battery is not a huge issue for my, but the crackles certainly are..

• Thanks so much for keeping this conversation going. Sometimes I think I’m the only one still anxiously waiting for this when I see other people talking about using their new Pros. I don’t know how they are even really using it...I can barely run 2 apps at once on it. This beautiful brand new giant 12.9 iPad is still sitting nearly unused and I continue to use my 10.5 everyday (and even worse, can’t sell it yet to recoup some of the fortune I spent on this new half working one 😩). From checking the news on this update frequently I think our critical update got moved to the back burner when Apple had to rush out 12.1.2 to comply with some court order and it apparently killed the LTE 4G on some billion iPhones or so, give or take a few tens of millions 😉. Basically they’ve got way bigger problems right now than us unfortunately.

• Actually its worth noting that I have seen a few other non audio related bugs in this version of the beta. Like the keyboard cover seems to be randomly active when your not even using it. Need to keep removing it..

Hopefully they will release the full version soon and put us out of our misery.

• Am I too harsh? I am massively disappointed and pissed by apple being a mega giga company and letting customers of their new flagship 1K+ down. How long is a product cycle? We already lost 2 months. Am I too harsh?

• just get the public beta?

• Just want to jump in about the ios 12.1.3 beta. i am not having as great of an experience as you @DEADCIRCUITGOD though the spikes did seem to level out, my ability to input monitor at lower latencies took a dive with the beta. I was having no trouble monitoring at 64frames through auria ( 2 inputs mic and guitar ) running into audiobus with previous releases but now i get crackles and am forced to bump up to 128.

I find this a bit annoying as this is what i could monitor at with last years ipad!

My system CPU ( not audiobus cpu actual system cpu) is at a whopping 18 percent with the 64 frame buffer rate... seems like there is a ton of head room left.
    beta getting same results to the T as last years ipad even with all the headroom

Are you input monitoring? can you get down to 64?

using iconnectaudio4+

• @AbleThought said:
    Just want to jump in about the ios 12.1.3 beta. i am not having as great of an experience as you @DEADCIRCUITGOD though the spikes did seem to level out, my ability to input monitor at lower latencies took a dive with the beta. I was having no trouble monitoring at 64frames through auria ( 2 inputs mic and guitar ) running into audiobus with previous releases but now i get crackles and am forced to bump up to 128.

I find this a bit annoying as this is what i could monitor at with last years ipad!

My system CPU ( not audiobus cpu actual system cpu) is at a whopping 18 percent with the 64 frame buffer rate... seems like there is a ton of head room left.
    beta getting same results to the T as last years ipad even with all the headroom

using iconnectaudio4+

You should paste this as a bug report to Apple. You can do it from the Feedback app that gets installed when you install the beta. That should help it get fixed.

• Beta 2 absolutely fixed the distortion/crackling issue on my new 12.9.
    Streemer/AUM/6 incidences of Turnado.

• @AbleThought said:
    Just want to jump in about the ios 12.1.3 beta. i am not having as great of an experience as you @DEADCIRCUITGOD though the spikes did seem to level out, my ability to input monitor at lower latencies took a dive with the beta. I was having no trouble monitoring at 64frames through auria ( 2 inputs mic and guitar ) running into audiobus with previous releases but now i get crackles and am forced to bump up to 128.

using iconnectaudio4+

No, I’ve never been able to get down to 64, even on my beefy ass desktop, not while running more than one or two channels anyways, and never at all on this iPad, but I haven’t really tried on the IPad, I assumed 64 was asking too much. But a main reason I never run at 64 is once you start slapping effects on channels, even on desktop, the crackles come inevitably. Also, at 128, I don’t feel latency anyways, so that’s my usual setting.
    I am still having random issues with cpu, like recording in AUM shouldn’t be using 50-60-70% recording one channel that’s an external analog synth, but it does half the time. It’s been difficult to narrow down problems lately... LayR randomly crackles, randomly doesn’t.... kind of sucks everything’s been inconsistent, hard to get anything done, have to admit I’ve been cheating on the iPad with desktop again...

• @david_2017 said:
    Am I too harsh? I am massively disappointed and pissed by apple being a mega giga company and letting customers of their new flagship 1K+ down. How long is a product cycle? We already lost 2 months. Am I too harsh?

No, you aren’t being harsh, I was pretty pissed when I bought this 3rd gen Pro and it performed like an iPhone 4s. I was probably more rude than I should have been to people that didn’t deserve it. But frustration will get out one way or another and this is certainly frustrating. I also spent like 300 bucks on apps right off the rip and more than half of them didn’t work good enough to use at all, let alone pay 30 bucks a piece for.
    Luckily, this update did help somewhat, though less than I originally thought, problems began to show themselves again within a couple days. I just hate setting everything up, midi controllers mapped, blah blah, then it breaks.... hopefully there will be a full update soon, because pretending this iPad is a serious tool is becoming quite tedious.
    A benchmark showing that this a12x is faster than an i7 is pretty meaningless when you can’t use it in real life....

• Thanks for making this thread... I've had massive pop/click/cpu issues with the new 12.9 iPad Pro as well. Your post makes me hopeful that this might get fixed.

• None of you are wrong for complaining. Apple need to get it together and sort it out, they also in the future need to do more rigorous testing before the release date.

• edited January 2019

@osc101 said:
    Thanks for making this thread... I've had massive pop/click/cpu issues with the new 12.9 iPad Pro as well. Your post makes me hopeful that this might get fixed.

No prob, I hope apple takes his stuff seriously and implements fixes asap too, though I don’t know the statistics on profit from audio production apps and whether apple will fix stuff if there aren’t enough people using it to affect their bottom line. I bought this IPad specifically to use with my other hardware and instruments, to use alongside a pc. But how many people do that, I don’t know... are we important enough to apple? Time will tell. And if corporate business models keep progressing in the same direction, I assume things will only get worse for consumers, especially groups of consumers that don’t make up a big enough slice of the pie, which I fear we may be.

• edited January 2019

The solution is likely related to both Apple as well as the app developers. I have all three 12.9 iPads, and the first generation did not suffer from the same pop/click/cpu issues as the 2nd and 3rd. Could be something related to how the additional cpu cores are accessed in the app code or IOS itself. Could also be how these request interrupts are allocated and prioritized.

While we may not be a large consumer group in terms of quantity, we make up for that in revenue. For example, I’ve bought all three 12.9 iPads, a 10" iPad and a MacBook Pro. All of these are used for music production. Add in the dozens if not hundred or so music applications I’ve bought and my investment surely represents more than the average Joe who buys one tablet or iPhone and plays candy crush. I’m sure many here are the same.

We have more buying power than people may think and it may be time we banded together and leverage that position.

@DEADCIRCUITGOD said:

@osc101 said:
    Thanks for making this thread... I've had massive pop/click/cpu issues with the new 12.9 iPad Pro as well. Your post makes me hopeful that this might get fixed.

No prob, I hope apple takes his stuff seriously and implements fixes asap too, though I don’t know the statistics on profit from audio production apps and whether apple will fix stuff if there aren’t enough people using it to affect their bottom line. I bought this IPad specifically to use with my other hardware and instruments, to use alongside a pc. But how many people do that, I don’t know... are we important enough to apple? Time will tell. And if corporate business models keep progressing in the same direction, I assume things will only get worse for consumers, especially groups of consumers that don’t make up a big enough slice of the pie, which I fear we may be.

• @osc101 said:
    The solution is likely related to both Apple as well as the app developers. I have all three 12.9 iPads, and the first generation did not suffer from the same pop/click/cpu issues as the 2nd and 3rd. Could be something related to how the additional cpu cores are accessed in the app code or IOS itself.

Apps have no say in such things. It’s purely up to iOS to manage how the hardware is used.

If there’s anything app devs can do (other than profile and optimize code) I’m interested to hear it.

• edited January 2019

. (sorry wrong thread)