Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Apps to manage MIDI velocity

edited January 2019 in App Tips and Tricks

Hello AB forum,

I just bought an Novation launchkey mini and i'm annoyed by the impossibility to set the velocity to full level (especially in an app like Groovebox which offers no control on the controller midi notes velocity).

I search one app which would allow me to adjust this parameter and send the modified midi notes to others apps.

Preferably, an app :

• Which don't need AB/AUM.
  • Usable with most of the applications.
  • With a small CPU/battery footprint.

Midiflow seems to be the solution, but I doesn't know if it meets my criterias and if it's not overkill for my needs.
KB-1 MIDI Keyboard could be another solution ?

Thanks.

Comments

• Well, most controllers I have do have the option to use/set fixed velocity?!
    As far as I know the 'bigger' Launch Key controllers also have an option to do this, don't know about the mini...

KB-1 is more like a 'on screen controller'.

What you'd need is something like the 'Stream Byter' app to strip out the incoming velocity values and substitute them with a value of your choice.
    https://audeonic.com/streambyter/

It's an AUv3 but for Groovebox you'd need a stand-alone app or better yet let Ampify/Novation know about it so they can add a fixed velocity option to their apps.

• _ki_ki
    edited January 2019

The needed Streambyter AU script would be

# Fixed midi note velocity
    9X XX 00 = 8X #  Remap NoteOn with vel=0 to NoteOff 
    9X = 9X XX 7F #  Remap all other NoteOn to vel=127

The Streambyter AU also runs standalone and you can send midi to it and read the modified midi from its output. With the updated in-app preset system you can even save/restore your presets and no longer are tied to need to an AU hosts preset system.

• edited January 2019

I'm just adding in velocity management to Cality* to now's the time to feature request :-)

Current plan is - override incoming notes velocity with a automatable velocity control & an 'accent' control which will allow every Nth note to be a bit louder

I'm not going to add in curves or anything to the initial release ( I want to get it out the door) but might consider for a future update. I'm interested to explore what having velocity midi controllable will be like in the first instance

disclaimer - velocity management is just an incidental feature of Cality - you may find it overkill if that's all you want to do. Oh - and also I'll be adding this feature into the 1.3 Autony update I've got planned - with a number of new features

* next app from Pagefall - goal is to have it submitted to the app store by the weekend - will likely do a very short (like a few days) beta with the people who have kindly volunteered - just get all the stupid off by one bugs out ;-) and then your guess is as good as mine as to how long it takes to appear - last one was 3 weeks before it appeared.

• Looking forward to that beta, @pagefall. :)

• If you have Roseta you can use Scaler which has in addition to its transposition abilities a Force Velocity option.

• Samu : "The velocity curve on Launchkey Mk1 and the Launchkey Mini is fixed and cannot be changed. " :/
    https://support.novationmusic.com/hc/en-gb/articles/212092625-How-do-I-change-the-velocity-curve-on-my-Launchkey-25-49-61-Mk2

For Stream Byter, this could be a solution, but I can't find if the standalone application allows to create a "bus" between the launchkey midi port and the Groovebox midiport.

pagefall! Looks promising, I will keep an eye on it !

audiblevideo: This is what I call an overkill solution :smiley: and only usable as a plugin.
    Rozeta seems really great but for now I need to focus on the applications that I bought (I'm a noob).

• @Erkin Rozeta is an app you will use over and over and over to generate sequences and more utility. Trust me if you get it you will use it a LOT. Totally worth every cent.

• @audiblevideo said:
    @Erkin Rozeta is an app you will use over and over and over to generate sequences and more utility. Trust me if you get it you will use it a LOT. Totally worth every cent.

seconded - you need Rozeta - one of those things you will see everyone using

• @pagefall AND Autony! :)

This is a bad place for feature requests (obviously I’m gonna do it any way 😜), but is there any chance of adding some sort of “sequencing” the sequencer to Autony.

Similar to the pages in Roseta. It would help for chord progressions a little more than CC or LFO mods.

Love your app. Look forward to more from you. If you want more app ideas I’ve got some 😉

• edited January 2019

So i'm trying Midiflow. The app is great and works with applications like BeatMaker 3, but this doesn't works with Groovebox (I send the data on the Virtual MIDI port of Groovebox).
    Groovebox offers no control on the midi inputs, it's hard to understand what happens underhood.

I think I will ask a refund for the midiflow app.

I have read that ApeMatrix allows to transpose Midi data, can we force the velocity with this app ?
    Aum also offers this feature ?

• @Erkin said:
    So i'm trying Midiflow. The app is great and works with applications like BeatMaker 3, but this doesn't works with Groovebox (I send the data on the Virtual MIDI port of Groovebox).
    Groovebox offers no control on the midi inputs, it's hard to understand what happens underhood.

I think I will ask a refund for the midiflow app.

I have read that ApeMatrix allows to transpose Midi data, can we force the velocity with this app ?
    Aum also offers this feature ?

Check with MidiFlow people about your use case — they might be able to help you out.

Great product and even better support

• Try the standalone MidiFire App (from the Streambyter folks at @Audeonic).

You can select the apps, CoreMIDI, Bluetooth MIDI or Virtual MIDI inputs and outputs and use the Streambyter component to perform the velocity scaling.

FYI: There are also Mac OS X versions of these two Audeonic apps as well and a forum where you can get help with custom streambyter coding. I think the velocity curve example is already available since it's needed so often.