Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Observations

Comments

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:
    I’ve got a head full of ideas but no time to pour them...

I hear you, but -as ever- always better that way than the other...

Obvious Maschine question of the day: Do you have a midi keyboard hooked up to it in any way?

Welcome to Boxing Day, btw. Always my personal favourite.... :)

I tend to use the pads as a keyboard - as you can fix them to a scale, or play chords....but I also have a keyboard plugged into my laptop, and the software should allow you to use either.

Happy tapping!

Ha! Perverse isn't it, the contraryness of age. I am less patient, but more patient. Couldn't get sound out of the bugger for a long hour last night, but know now, finally, that sometimes in a new world one must beat on things with a rock until the opaque becomes obvious and, more importantly, trust in the fact that you know it will (albeit at some unspecified moment in the future, rather than RIGHT NOW when you wish it)....the saving grace is the fact that it is very obvious very quickly how deep this bastard is and the only limit is my own lack etc. All good :) Now, if it only burned calories as well.....

Are you using it as a soundcard? That still confuses me, when I try sampling and monitoring at the same time. There’s an obvious button to turn on in the settings labelled ‘monitor’, but you have to have another five things aligned in the matrix before it works.

Best thing for me is sample slicing in ‘auto’ mode. Hit pad one, then each pad in turn to mark your slice point, then zoom in after for more precise tweaking. Hit apply, and it’s sliced to you pads ready for triggering.

My dear boy, that's like asking a man happy to be gnawing on stale bread if he's found the sirloin yet :)

When I open the thing I get

followed promptly by (when I go like a simple n00b to the 'more info' link)

:) Ah the mystery of computers....

Rock. Hammer. Keep beating (and happily enough for now...)

Have you downloaded Massive? If so might be worth rebooting and rescanning your plugins, or checking the path to the folder is correct.

^ I assume this is coherent advice, we spent the day climbing hills with friends, followed by very boozy sing-a-longs, followed by more booze, so I could have just typed a load of numbers.

It's all good my friend. Not looking or expecting any customer support ALTHOUGH I did tell the missus last night that if we were the rich people I would be sending the jet to Wales etc :)

Climbing and boozing and friends; the perfect Boxing Day. Well done...

Paying for it today...doing the accounts with a sore head ain't fun. If you lived locally I'd be more than happy to have a Maschine session distraction at the moment.

Weirdly last night's sing-song might have a constructive outcome. Bouyed by tales of how much local cover bands are getting paid, a plan has been formulated for a 'Yazoo-style' duo or trio to do the rounds. My friends missus is a belter of a singer, he plays guiitar, and I'd be programming all the beats and shog and performing it on the Maschine. Only drawback with that plan is I have to build all the tracks on the Maschine thing first....

Probaby won't happen, and I'm pretty happy doing my solo silly stuff anyway, but it'd be insteresting to see how the Maschine coped in a live situation like that.

Hey guys, I'm enjoying this back and forth. I just got my Macschine MK3 and just finally downloaded all the content.

But I'm more interested in the drunken singalong, must say.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    For the want of having nothing else to do (how glorious) I found myself fiddling on the desktop with a thing called Obscuriam.

Erm. It's unbelievably good. I mean, I have all the iOS Sugar-Bytes stuff, where the hell is this? Is there some technical reason that can be thought of? I was fiddling about for no more than five minutes and just stopped and started to laugh at how good it is. Completely changed my dial setting about what's next.

I want this one, and the new Aparillo synth. I’d buy them without any hesitation whatsoever if they went iOS, I reckon it’ll be years though, if ever.

My mate bought the SB bundle a couple of days ago. I haven’t got that amount of cash to spend, but if the single products are included in the next 50% sale I might have to dig into the new roof pot.

Looks like you guessed well on the Aparillo back in January. Let's hope Obscuriam will get the same treatment. Went quick didn't it...

Ahhh....they’re having a sale, not sure my iTunes voucher will cover it but I’ll take a peek.

Happy Christmas to you and yours boss, I’m guessing the house there is filled with hip hop beats from the Maschine :)

btw - who is having the sale (or was)??

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Obvious Maschine question of the day: Do you have a midi keyboard hooked up to it in any way?

I tend to use the pads as a keyboard - as you can fix them to a scale, or play chords....but I also have a keyboard plugged into my laptop, and the software should allow you to use either.

Happy tapping!

Ha! Perverse isn't it, the contraryness of age. I am less patient, but more patient. Couldn't get sound out of the bugger for a long hour last night, but know now, finally, that sometimes in a new world one must beat on things with a rock until the opaque becomes obvious and, more importantly, trust in the fact that you know it will (albeit at some unspecified moment in the future, rather than RIGHT NOW when you wish it)....the saving grace is the fact that it is very obvious very quickly how deep this bastard is and the only limit is my own lack etc. All good :) Now, if it only burned calories as well.....

Are you using it as a soundcard? That still confuses me, when I try sampling and monitoring at the same time. There’s an obvious button to turn on in the settings labelled ‘monitor’, but you have to have another five things aligned in the matrix before it works.

Best thing for me is sample slicing in ‘auto’ mode. Hit pad one, then each pad in turn to mark your slice point, then zoom in after for more precise tweaking. Hit apply, and it’s sliced to you pads ready for triggering.

My dear boy, that's like asking a man happy to be gnawing on stale bread if he's found the sirloin yet :)

Have you downloaded Massive? If so might be worth rebooting and rescanning your plugins, or checking the path to the folder is correct.

^ I assume this is coherent advice, we spent the day climbing hills with friends, followed by very boozy sing-a-longs, followed by more booze, so I could have just typed a load of numbers.

It's all good my friend. Not looking or expecting any customer support ALTHOUGH I did tell the missus last night that if we were the rich people I would be sending the jet to Wales etc :)

Paying for it today...doing the accounts with a sore head ain't fun. If you lived locally I'd be more than happy to have a Maschine session distraction at the moment.

Weirdly last night's sing-song might have a constructive outcome. Bouyed by tales of how much local cover bands are getting paid, a plan has been formulated for a 'Yazoo-style' duo or trio to do the rounds. My friends missus is a belter of a singer, he plays guiitar, and I'd be programming all the beats and shog and performing it on the Maschine. Only drawback with that plan is I have to build all the tracks on the Maschine thing first....

Probaby won't happen, and I'm pretty happy doing my solo silly stuff anyway, but it'd be insteresting to see how the Maschine coped in a live situation like that.

While I know you have plenty on your real world plate most days, a side project is good for the soul, especially if it involves a belter of a singer. They are in short supply and are largely the Great Unmentioned among you complicated musical types. Music matters, but words win. Not in terms of what they mean (or even how elegantly they're written; for shame), but because the majority of us here in the endless audience of the unwashed have a fondness and an affinity for the noise members of our own species can sometimes somehow make.

Exploit him without remorse.

• @kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

Hey guys, I'm enjoying this back and forth. I just got my Macschine MK3 and just finally downloaded all the content.

We are the blind (if not hollow) men together! I am optimistic and ready to be seduced, but what I thought was going to be a daytrip on a small skiff, looks now as though it may be a month out of port and most of that time spent being largely lost :) Let us compare mythologies as we meander along....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

We are the blind (if not hollow) men together! I am optimistic and ready to be seduced, but what I thought was going to be a daytrip on a small skiff, looks now as though it may be a month out of port and most of that time spent being largely lost :) Let us compare mythologies as we meander along....

Yes, and that skiff has sharp edges!

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

I've spent quite a bit of time this year putting my home 'studio' together, learning how it all works and trying to sort out a decent workflow.

A fair bit of time has been spent learning how to use the Maschine thing, and integrating this with Reason - and then shifting it all over onto the laptop with the Maschine hardware right in the middle as the audio interface/sampling/controller boss. I'm also creating sample libraries, and archiving all my old stuff for quicker recall. I'm kind of there now, so hopefully next year I can focus more on actually recording stuff. I've also got an R16 recorder/mixer sitting here which I hope to take out and record collaborations. The 'belter of a singer' may be included in that one.

It has taken up a lot of my free music time, but as a result I now have a dedicated music area, complete with decent monitors, bass and guitar amp combos - all nicely setup so I can just jump in and start making a noise.

As I'm not doing 'the band thing' now, my focus is on being a bit more serious and professional with my solo stuff, and to do this it needed a bit of time investment to make it all proper like.

If you need any Maschine tips though Boss/kinkujin, then I'll see if I can squeeze some drips of knowledge from my fizzog.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

I've spent quite a bit of time this year putting my home 'studio' together, learning how it all works and trying to sort out a decent workflow.

A fair bit of time has been spent learning how to use the Maschine thing, and integrating this with Reason - and then shifting it all over onto the laptop with the Maschine hardware right in the middle as the audio interface/sampling/controller boss. I'm also creating sample libraries, and archiving all my old stuff for quicker recall. I'm kind of there now, so hopefully next year I can focus more on actually recording stuff. I've also got an R16 recorder/mixer sitting here which I hope to take out and record collaborations. The 'belter of a singer' may be included in that one.

It has taken up a lot of my free music time, but as a result I now have a dedicated music area, complete with decent monitors, bass and guitar amp combos - all nicely setup so I can just jump in and start making a noise.

As I'm not doing 'the band thing' now, my focus is on being a bit more serious and professional with my solo stuff, and to do this it needed a bit of time investment to make it all proper like.

If you need any Maschine tips though Boss/kinkujin, then I'll see if I can squeeze some drips of knowledge from my fizzog.

Thanks friend! I may take you up on this. As I bought mine used, it didn't come with a manual. So I'll just ask you all of the basic questions and then the advanced ones too. :D

• @kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

Thanks friend! I may take you up on this. As I bought mine used, it didn't come with a manual. So I'll just ask you all of the basic questions and then the advanced ones too. :D

If it's of any solace, I was given my brand and spanking and in a box and there was no manual either. All online these days etc etc.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

If it's of any solace, I was given my brand and spanking and in a box and there was no manual either. All online these days etc etc.

Actually, I was just looking for an excuse to not RTFM. hehehe

• @kinkujin said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

I had a lot of pfaffing and had to reinstall which was frustrating (and entirely my own fault), but already find myself fiddling with the software on my monitor (it's easier, it's vaguely familiar) rather than going into the more obscure stumbling about required (initially) by the Maschine itself....keep telling myself that this is entirely normal etc etc :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

I had a lot of pfaffing and had to reinstall which was frustrating (and entirely my own fault), but already find myself fiddling with the software on my monitor (it's easier, it's vaguely familiar) rather than going into the more obscure stumbling about required (initially) by the Maschine itself....keep telling myself that this is entirely normal etc etc :)

Nooooooo. Bad habits. Bad Johnny.

Believe me, the majority of tasks are easier with the hardware. For example sample recording and editing, patch browsing, even editing midi notes in the pattern editor.

It’s tough at first, but try and do as much as you can with the controller. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll find its much faster than fiddling with a mouse.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

Believe me, the majority of tasks are easier with the hardware. For example sample recording and editing, patch browsing, even editing midi notes in the pattern editor.

It’s tough at first, but try and do as much as you can with the controller. Once you get the hang of it, you’ll find its much faster than fiddling with a mouse.

I know dad, I know.... :)

Especially as I don't care about writing an anthem/love beast/concerto/whatever, but just want to learn how the thing works. Human beings. Actually great proof about the power and centrality of the UX in our lives etc.

I do have the thing hooked up on my desk and in front of a big fuck-off monitor as well, which of course isn't where I imagine thing thing will end up. Where do you play yours mostly?

• @kinkujin do please let me know if you come across any useful/sensible tuts on youtube or elsewhere out in the world....I will certainly do likewise....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @kinkujin do please let me know if you come across any useful/sensible tuts on youtube or elsewhere out in the world....I will certainly do likewise....

Righto.

• @MonzoPro @kinkujin (and anyone else interested in the Maschine MK3...): I'm guessing you may have seen this or this bloke before, but I really like the way he shows locking/snapshots/morphing....more here than I realized (nothing new :) )...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

Especially as I don't care about writing an anthem/love beast/concerto/whatever, but just want to learn how the thing works. Human beings. Actually great proof about the power and centrality of the UX in our lives etc.

I do have the thing hooked up on my desk and in front of a big fuck-off monitor as well, which of course isn't where I imagine thing thing will end up. Where do you play yours mostly?

Mine’s on the desk - it’s got so many wires going in and out of it - it’s hooked up to the laptop, which is hooked up to two external drives and a monitor, plus it’s powering monitor speakers, it’s not going to be played on my armchair - that’s the iPads job!

Saying that though, it is portable, so I’ll be taking it out on the road for this new pop adventure.

• No, I should do really. I'm going to be pushing the boundaries of my knowledge when I start putting these 'pop' things together to perform live, so I reckon I'll need all the help I can get!

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

Mine’s on the desk - it’s got so many wires going in and out of it - it’s hooked up to the laptop, which is hooked up to two external drives and a monitor, plus it’s powering monitor speakers, it’s not going to be played on my armchair - that’s the iPads job!

Saying that though, it is portable, so I’ll be taking it out on the road for this new pop adventure.

So, indulge me Monzo-san: I am convinced about this object. Already pleased I have it. No remorse, only looking forward to continuing my fiddle. However, as I can't imagine it on my lap or in steerage on the aircraft with me either, I have to ask: What do you personally find better or more productive about it compared to simply using the desktop software directly?

• edited December 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

So, indulge me Monzo-san: I am convinced about this object. Already pleased I have it. No remorse, only looking forward to continuing my fiddle. However, as I can't imagine it on my lap or in steerage on the aircraft with me either, I have to ask: What do you personally find better or more productive about it compared to simply using the desktop software directly?

It's a combination of an interface - so you can adjust volume, panning, select instruments etc., an editor for patterns, samples and whatnot, a standalone sampler, and performance tool - so you can twiddle knobs, record automation in real time, trigger patterns/groups etc.

Pretty much all of these things it can do quicker - and in the case of sample and pattern editing - more accurately - than using a mouse. And as a performance tool it becomes an instrument in its own right.

Also the bonus for me is, that as I haven't got enough USB inputs for the Mac, it saves me having to use the trackpad - which is really clumsy when trying to edit patterns for example.

It's a bit like turning your average desktop DAW into an iPad - it gives you that hands-on thing you don't get with a mouse.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@kinkujin said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

It's a combination of an interface - so you can adjust volume, panning, select instruments etc., an editor for patterns, samples and whatnot, a standalone sampler, and performance tool - so you can twiddle knobs, record automation in real time, trigger patterns/groups etc.

Pretty much all of these things it can do quicker - and in the case of sample and pattern editing - more accurately - than using a mouse. And as a performance tool it becomes an instrument in its own right.

Also the bonus for me is, that as I haven't got enough USB inputs for the Mac, it saves me having to use the trackpad - which is really clumsy when trying to edit patterns for example.

It's a bit like turning your average desktop DAW into an iPad - it gives you that hands-on thing you don't get with a mouse.

Gracias hombre....well put.

I have to also add that I'm already really enjoying playing in on the pads, just the amount of expressiveness (touch sensitivity) that it brings to everything from piano chords to snare drums is a pure pleasure....keep telling myself to be patient; a pomadoro a day until May should see me proficient enough :)

• Cheers Boss, I’ll check those out. Finally finished the flipping accounts today, so hopefully get some music time in tomorrow.

• Thanks!
    I read that piece when it came out, and I still have the same reaction; bewilderment at the nonsense of eschewing the Novocain because of the Civil War, and embarrassment (for her) at her cavalier use of "the word" and her harebrained concept/definition of "the word"...at least she didn't really go on at length about UFOs in this one...
    All that being said, she is STILL one of the greatest rockandrollers to ever come down the pike. Then. Now. And forever.

• @JeffChasteen said:

Thanks!
    I read that piece when it came out, and I still have the same reaction; bewilderment at the nonsense of eschewing the Novocain because of the Civil War, and embarrassment (for her) at her cavalier use of "the word" and her harebrained concept/definition of "the word"...at least she didn't really go on at length about UFOs in this one...
    All that being said, she is STILL one of the greatest rockandrollers to ever come down the pike. Then. Now. And forever.

Agree on every aspect.

40 years.

I will always be a certain amount in love with her.

• @kinkujin said:

Thanks friend. Or is it Boss?

No one's boss, everyone's friend :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@JeffChasteen said:

Thanks!

Agree on every aspect.

40 years.

I will always be a certain amount in love with her.

Same here.
    I was binge-background-watching shows in the Law & Order universe the other day, and I caught her playing an anthropologist in the penultimate episode of L&O/Criminal Intent. She did a good job.