Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Does a beginner's guide exist?

I'm having issues getting my usb mixer to show up in Audiobus on my iPhone XS. I think it's because I'm using the old CCK and I need the new USB3 one but I don't even know how to tell for sure if Audiobus can't see it. I don't know anything about the app and I can't find a decent user guide or a good youtube video on how to do a basic USB audio interface --> AU setup. Can anyone direct me to one? Anyone willing to walk me through the basics maybe?

Thanks!

Comments

• Not sure if this helps, but I’ve had no issue on iPhone or iPad with usb recording interfaces, using an audiofuse now, just plug in and audio in/out automatically goes through interface iOS wide. So I would guess it could be your hardware or cables. Feel free to message me if you wanna be more specific I’ll try to help, I’m laid off work, so not very busy.

• Let’s start with the basics. What model is the mixer? It needs to be “Class Compliant” to work with the iPad. It may also need power.

Audio interfaces show up at the top of the list of input choices in AudioBus. If it isn’t showing up there then it’s either a connection or a compatibility problem. Need to figure out which before going further.

• There are 2 versions of Camera Kit Adapters:

1. Lightning to USB Camera Adapter - just USB on one end and Lightning on the other. It's listed as supporting iPhone XS so what's missing is the external power needed to power the USB mixer. The iPhone XS won't do that for you.

2. Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter - Lightning on one end and USB AND Lightning Power Input on the other. This is the one I use since my audio interface works getting it's power from the USB connection. This adapter keeps my iPad and my USB mixer turned on 24x7 using a iPad power adapter running to the Lightning port on the CCK.

If you can get AC power into your Mixer maybe you can use #1.
    If not then you need a mixer with another power design or CCK #2.

• And remember to tap the blue arrow in the input list, at top like wim said, believe it or not, the 1st time routing audio into audiobus I wasn’t selecting the input I needed to, it defaulted to stereo 1+2, but had to select mono 1.

• @wim said:
    Let’s start with the basics. What model is the mixer? It needs to be “Class Compliant” to work with the iPad. It may also need power.

Audio interfaces show up at the top of the list of input choices in AudioBus. If it isn’t showing up there then it’s either a connection or a compatibility problem. Need to figure out which before going further.

Seconding this - specifics needed on your mixer.
    You mention an “old” CCK - is this an Apple or third party? It needs to be an Apple.
    As mentioned, try different cables.
    Most of the basic audio interfaces do show up automatically, but mixers often have quirks and some just don’t like iOS.

• Worth mentioning, the cck (if an Apple one) shouldn't matter in terms of making a connection. The main difference between the ones with an extra lightning port is that they allow charging the iOS device while you use the cck.

• @espiegel123 said:
    Worth mentioning, the cck (if an Apple one) shouldn't matter in terms of making a connection. The main difference between the ones with an extra lightning port is that they allow charging the iOS device while you use the cck.

And for me it's the only way to get my Audio Interface to power up is to have that power port ont eh CCK connected. Otherwise, my audio interface just waits for 5V power on the USB cable that the iPad won't provide. Adding the power connection raises the power input to the Audio Interface to the full 5V needed to start it up.

• @McDtracy said:

@espiegel123 said:
    Worth mentioning, the cck (if an Apple one) shouldn't matter in terms of making a connection. The main difference between the ones with an extra lightning port is that they allow charging the iOS device while you use the cck.

And for me it's the only way to get my Audio Interface to power up is to have that power port ont eh CCK connected. Otherwise, my audio interface just waits for 5V power on the USB cable that the iPad won't provide. Adding the power connection raises the power input to the Audio Interface to the full 5V needed to start it up.

Are you using an unpowered hub? With a powered hub, this shouldn't be an issue.