Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

And the winner is.................DIGITAKT

DIGITAKT.

Thanks for the forum's usual help and opinions...... back and forth as I pondered which device to add to the set up.

For the record, I did get both and make an informed yet intuitive decision on this. I had researched and asked questions to some people's annoyance. But most enjoyed my mini saga.

I did actually use each device side by side at the end of the months of research and study.

I am not going to get into the details on my choice just yet.

I am thinking a video describing my choice is in the cards for the near future. Because as I started to type I realized I have a long convoluted process in how I came to this in the end. Which actually is ironic when I tell the story itself.

AKA: YouTube

At this time, I want to thank all for the fun.

I would like to ask any DIGITAKT owners on the easiest way to sync with LINK. Via either Ableton or perhaps I am thinking maybe the Launchpad app SYNC feature into the DIGITAKT may work?

And OVERBRIDGE. Not sure if that is a thing yet for DIGITAKT yet. But if it is I would love to know about how you actually get the machine to connect to it once installed.

And lastly.

DIGITAKT.

Phonetically...

DI GAAAAAA TAKT

or

DI JAAAAAA TAKT

What say you? LOL

Comments

• Dig - eee - takt.

• Never understood. Can someone explain the reasoning behind the ‘j’ pronounciation?
    I thought it would be like digital.

• Right.

I also here SYNTHESIZERS called:

Sin Ter Sizurz.......

• AUM send clock out to DT will sync

• I think the other choice was Octatrack, for the uninformed.

• edited December 2018

@RUST( i )K said:
    DIGITAKT.
    I would like to ask any DIGITAKT owners on the easiest way to sync with LINK. Via either Ableton or perhaps I am thinking maybe the Launchpad app SYNC feature into the DIGITAKT may work?

That's one of the reasons why MIDI clock sync is the first thing I look for when a new sequencer or DAW arrives.
    Currently working with Groove Rider, Gadget, Genome MIDI, Stroke Machine and apeMatrix together with the Digitakt and my heavyweight KORG Electribe MX and Yamaha Rm1x.
    For a better and fun hands-on experience, I prefer the hardware to control the software, so Midi Clock Slave Synchronisation support in an iOS app is about the most convenient way to integrate stuff without headaches.

• @jigglypuff said:
    I think the other choice was Octatrack, for the uninformed.

@jigglypuff said:
    I think the other choice was Octatrack, for the uninformed.

Thank you for being part of my story...😉

• @Breezee said:
    AUM send clock out to DT will sync

Give it a whirl

USB I suppose?

• @rs2000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    DIGITAKT.

That's one of the reasons why MIDI clock sync is the first thing I look for when a new sequencer or DAW arrives.
    Currently working with Groove Rider, Gadget, Genome MIDI, Stroke Machine and apeMatrix together with the Digitakt and my heavyweight KORG Electribe MX and Yamaha Rm1x.
    For a better and fun hands-on experience, I prefer the hardware to control the software, so Midi Clock Slave Synchronisation support in an iOS app is about the most convenient way to integrate stuff without headaches.

Interested in the particulars of that set up of this fun.

• @RUST( i )K said:

@Breezee said:

Give it a whirl

USB I suppose?

I use a powered USB Hub and CCK and it syncs no problem.

• edited December 2018

@RUST( i )K said:

@rs2000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    DIGITAKT.

Option 1: The Digitakt is set up to send MIDI Clock over USB. The iPad is connected via CCK3 to the Digitakt USB port and receives MIDI clock, with apps like the above mentioned following start/stop and speed in sync with the Digitakt.

Option 2: The Digitakt sends clock over its MIDI out port and the iPad receives it over the MIDI input of a connected MIDI (or audio+midi) interface.

Option 3 (which I like especially with Groove Rider): Plug a pair of Bluetooth MIDI dongles into the Digitakt's MIDI ports and do the MIDI sync over Bluetooth.
    Groove Rider can fine-tune the slave clock shift to eliminate any latency, making it a rock-solid second groovebox that you can either sequence from one of the Digitakt's 8 MIDI channels or inside GR16 or both. For me, this made the purchase of a Digitone obsolete because you can load any FM-generated set of waveforms into GR16's wavetable engine and smoothly scan through them. You could even have sampled instruments at hand by running bs-16i in the background, controlled by GR16.

Edit: When using Bluetooth, make sure the MIDI dongles are configured to pass MIDI clock. My Quiccos had to have clock transmission enabled first.

• @Breezee said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@Breezee said:

Give it a whirl

USB I suppose?

I use a powered USB Hub and CCK and it syncs no problem.

Got it going.

Thanks man

• @rs2000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:

@rs2000 said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    DIGITAKT.

Option 1: The Digitakt is set up to send MIDI Clock over USB. The iPad is connected via CCK3 to the Digitakt USB port and receives MIDI clock, with apps like the above mentioned following start/stop and speed in sync with the Digitakt.

Option 2: The Digitakt sends clock over its MIDI out port and the iPad receives it over the MIDI input of a connected MIDI (or audio+midi) interface.

Option 3 (which I like especially with Groove Rider): Plug a pair of Bluetooth MIDI dongles into the Digitakt's MIDI ports and do the MIDI sync over Bluetooth.
    Groove Rider can fine-tune the slave clock shift to eliminate any latency, making it a rock-solid second groovebox that you can either sequence from one of the Digitakt's 8 MIDI channels or inside GR16 or both. For me, this made the purchase of a Digitone obsolete because you can load any FM-generated set of waveforms into GR16's wavetable engine and smoothly scan through them. You could even have sampled instruments at hand by running bs-16i in the background, controlled by GR16.

Edit: When using Bluetooth, make sure the MIDI dongles are configured to pass MIDI clock. My Quiccos had to have clock transmission enabled first.

Appreciate ya~

• @Breezee said:

Kinda sucks that AUM cant sync to external clock :/ Personally i feel like sending clock from aum kinda ruins the whole thing, digitakt or what ever sampler/sequencer/workstation is the one that should send the clock.. Imo ableton link on mpc live is enough reason to choose it over digitakt or many others in ios setup.

• You should've chosen Octatrack ;)

...but happy trails with Diggy Takt anyway, matey x

• @ToMess said:

@Breezee said:

Kinda sucks that AUM cant sync to external clock :/ Personally i feel like sending clock from aum kinda ruins the whole thing, digitakt or what ever sampler/sequencer/workstation is the one that should send the clock.. Imo ableton link on mpc live is enough reason to choose it over digitakt or many others in ios setup.

Try ApeMatrix.

• @ToMess said:

@Breezee said:

My Digitakt is already perfectly synced w/ my LINK set up of devices.

Ableton - USB HUB - > LINK to DIGITAKT other USB HUB to MONOSTATION w/ midi thru to the Circuit
    Audio to mixer
    Mixer to interface into iPAD via AUM.

Being that AUM has LINK all is sync.

IF that is even what you meant.

lol

• edited December 2018

@noodldoodl said:
    You should've chosen Octatrack ;)

...but happy trails with Diggy Takt anyway, matey x

Honestly.

I had them both on the table.

The audio quality was so noticeable different and better on the Digitakt, I would could not spend $1400 on a less than ideal sounding device.

When the $800 DIGITAKT sounded better. It was a clear difference to my ears. I wanted to keep the OCTA but what is heard cannot be unheard.
    I think a side by side comparison is the best way to judge like I did.

The rest of the OCTA features are things I enjoy using other devices, iPads, and my MacBook for.

I like the options and fluidity of my set up so wasn't looking to re invent the wheel for my process you know.

If the OCTA was only $700....I would have kept it as well.

But that type of price point and no overbridge .....nah.

Rather grab a RYTHM or a DIGITONE>

TOTALLY OPINION you know.

But that was my logic and why in short.

• edited December 2018

Honestly.

The audio quality was so noticeable different and better on the Digitakt, I would could not spend $1400 on a less than ideal sounding device.

When the $800 DIGITAKT sounded better. It was a clear difference to my ears. I wanted to keep the OCTA but what is heard cannot be unheard.

The rest of the OCTA features are things I enjoy using other devices, iPads, and my MacBook for.

I like the options and fluidity of my set up so wasn't looking to re invent the wheel for my process you know.

• @RUST( i )K said:
    Honestly.

It's good that you were able to make a side-by-side comparison for yourself. Like I told you mine is a Mk1 Octatrack that cost £600, so nothing like the money you'd have been paying, so I totally get why you want more bang for your buck.

Have a great time with your new friend 👍

• I own a Digitakt and a Digitone, my best choice ever. The DT I use as a sampler and drumstation and the DN for FM synthesis music composition. They pair perfectly. Also the portability is a plus, with a powerbank I'm free to use them everywhere.

I am a Overbridge testuser and very happy with this. Connected to my pc I can control both from a Ableton VST. Hope Elektron will release it soon to all users.

• This is the most subjective piece of gear ive ever used. Tried the digitakt and the Analog 4 and found both far from pleasurable.
    It seemed no different than working with a computer, a Commodore 64 actually (yes im north of 40). I know some love it, happy you.
    My advise to others would be to try it, but save your reciept.

• @noodldoodl said:

@RUST( i )K said:
    Honestly.

It's good that you were able to make a side-by-side comparison for yourself. Like I told you mine is a Mk1 Octatrack that cost £600, so nothing like the money you'd have been paying, so I totally get why you want more bang for your buck.

Have a great time with your new friend 👍

$600 damn......

lucky bastard

• @breilly said:
    This is the most subjective piece of gear ive ever used. Tried the digitakt and the Analog 4 and found both far from pleasurable.
    It seemed no different than working with a computer, a Commodore 64 actually (yes im north of 40). I know some love it, happy you.

What devices do you like to use?

Just wondering/

• @RUST( i )K said:

@breilly said:
    This is the most subjective piece of gear ive ever used. Tried the digitakt and the Analog 4 and found both far from pleasurable.

What devices do you like to use?

Just wondering/

Ha thats a question im trying to find out... its exhausting

• . Under a quick comparison I can see why the digitakt is a clear winner. Price and better fx, but without investing plenty of time into the octatrack you really can’t do a fair comparison. The digitakt is pretty easy to learn since it’s so much more limited, so you are up and running quick and shit is sounding good. The octatrack does so much, looping,etc and is frustrating AF until u get it down. Bottom line though, enjoy what you got. The digitakt is pretty cool.

• Great video, thanks!
    Other noteworthy differences are that the Octatrack supports stereo samples and time stretching.

• yessir, I wish he made 3 elektron videos per day.
    two things that come to my mind though are that even though the digitakt doesn't have any automatic slicing it's manual slicing still feels great to me, and the time stretching on the octatrak doesn't sound that great to me.

• @kobamoto said:
    yessir, I wish he made 3 elektron videos per day.
    two things that come to my mind though are that even though the digitakt doesn't have any automatic slicing it's manual slicing still feels great to me, and the time stretching on the octatrak doesn't sound that great to me.

I agree, slicing on the DT is so fast and straightforward that it doesn't really matter, not to mention sample start modulation by LFO B)