Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Gadget: Copy (midi)parts from one song to another?

A question for the gagdeteers: Is it possible to copy a part of a project into another project in gadget. Let‘s say, i have done a piano part i like in one project, but i want to insert it into the middle of an ambient track in another project.

Maybe I‘m just ignoring something very simple here, but I haven‘t been able to do that.

Bonus question, similar problem: Can I insert an external midi file as a part into an already existing gadget project?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• @LeonKowalski said:
    Anyone?

Stem export, then import back into desired project

• edited December 2018

@DaveMagoo said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    Anyone?

Doesn‘t work for me, I must be doing something wrong. I exported the part to dropbox. When I try to import, it always creates a new song instead of importing it into the song I have opened.

Edit: Same with iTunes.

• Have you tried with AudioShare?

• edited December 2018

@LeonKowalski said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    Anyone?

Doesn‘t work for me, I must be doing something wrong. I exported the part to dropbox. When I try to import, it always creates a new song instead of importing it into the song I have opened.

Yes, importing a midi file always creates a new project in Gadget.

I’d like to see improvements in a copy/paste function for Gadget’s piano roll. It’s pretty frustrating as it stands.

• @jolico said:
    Have you tried with AudioShare?

Yup, doesn‘t work. Audioshare does not show Gadget as a potential target to send files to...

• @SpookyZoo said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    Anyone?

Which would be no problem if you could copy it from there into your desired project. Which sadly doesn‘t seem possible.

• edited December 2018

@LeonKowalski said:

@SpookyZoo said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@DaveMagoo said:

@LeonKowalski said:
    Anyone?

Which would be no problem if you could copy it from there into your desired project. Which sadly doesn‘t seem possible.

Yeah, definitely not ideal.

I would hope for improvements in 2019.

However they only just improved the midi import in the last update by allowing the user to state the bar length division. It used to be split into 1 bar lengths only. If they didn't give us copy/paste control of midi when looking at the functionality this time, then I'm not sure it's something they have in mind to give us in future.

• edited December 2018

Have you used Zurich to import?

Works fine here.

• @DaveMagoo said:

Works fine here.

Yes, I use Zurich quite a bit. But this time it is about a chord progression I made with another app, of which I want to get all the single midi notes into Gadget, to be able to use it with different pianos and synths.

Well, seems like I have to write it down and put the single notes into Gadget by hand. Actually not THAT big of a deal, but still a bit annoying considering the fact that we are making paperless music here...😬

• @LeonKowalski said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Works fine here.

Yes, I use Zurich quite a bit. But this time it is about a chord progression I made with another app, of which I want to get all the single midi notes into Gadget, to be able to use it with different pianos and synths.

Well, seems like I have to write it down and put the single notes into Gadget by hand. Actually not THAT big of a deal, but still a bit annoying considering the fact that we are making paperless music here...😬

I think it IS a big deal. Especially as aspects of writing here remain as one of Gadget's USP in a time of many other options. TBH, this has always been a head-slapper for me. You make something great, but can't simply pick it up and flip into another tune....ends up pushing me out into another eco-system. It seems logical if you are going to keep aspects of your sandbox closed then being able to play nice within it should be a priority....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Works fine here.

I think it IS a big deal. Especially as aspects of writing here remain as one of Gadget's USP in a time of many other options. TBH, this has always been a head-slapper for me. You make something great, but can't simply pick it up and flip into another tune....ends up pushing me out into another eco-system. It seems logical if you are going to keep aspects of your sandbox closed then being able to play nice within it should be a priority....

Well, if I think about it, you might be spot on with that. Until now I‘ve done almost everything in Gadget. At first I had seen it just as a stepstone to another „more serious“ DAW, but so far I‘ve stayed with it because I‘ve been able to do almost anything I wanted inside of it. But unnecessary restrictions like that might be the nudge I needed to help me make the jump. So, considering that I like the workflow in Gadget, and I want to stay „iPad only“, what should be next? Cubasis? Auria? Nanostudio2? Something else?

• edited December 2018

@LeonKowalski said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Works fine here.

Well, if I think about it, you might be spot on with that. Until now I‘ve done almost everything in Gadget. At first I had seen it just as a stepstone to another „more serious“ DAW, but so far I‘ve stayed with it because I‘ve been able to do almost anything I wanted inside of it. But unnecessary restrictions like that might be the nudge I needed to help me make the jump. So, considering that I like the workflow in Gadget, and I want to stay „iPad only“, what should be next? Cubasis? Auria? Nanostudio2? Something else?

I'm afraid there are a thousand answers to that Leon and many of them passionate and well-informed and almost wholly true....to the person voicing them :).

For me, iPad only, Auria always as an option to finish if not to start. Currently NanoStudio2 is my choice/suggestion for creation, but only because it is elegant and easy (much like myself :) )....each pilgrim must find his own path.....

• ...> @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Works fine here.

Exactly this. Well said.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Works fine here.

I'm afraid there are a thousand answers to that Leon and many of them passionate and well-informed and almost wholly true....to the person voicing them :).

For me, iPad only, Auria always as an option to finish if not to start. Currently NanoStudio2 is my choice/suggestion for creation, but only because it is elegant and easy (much like myself :) )....each pilgrim must find his own path.....

Oh well, back to the „battle of the DAWs“... 😉

Okay, then I‘ll try the backwards question. To be honest, I‘ve purchased all of those. So far, I‘ve only done a bit with Cubasis, and I found it relatively approachable. So this would be my first choice for my next DAW. Are there any major drawbacks that should make me reconsider?

• @LeonKowalski said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Works fine here.

Okay, then I‘ll try the backwards question. To be honest, I‘ve purchased all of those. So far, I‘ve only done a bit with Cubasis, and I found it relatively approachable. So this would be my first choice for my next DAW. Are there any major drawbacks that should make me reconsider?

Without being utterly simplistic; whatever works :) There are proponents of all the contenders here, happy marriages where others see strife. If you write music you like, stick with it....

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Works fine here.

Without being utterly simplistic; whatever works :) There are proponents of all the contenders here, happy marriages where others see strife. If you write music you like, stick with it....

Thanks a lot, then I‘ll stick with Cubasis for the foreseeable future. And of course you are personally responsible for all my coming musical failures. 😈😉

• Well, although it can’t be done, I use a workaround to export some long or complex MIDI parts (i.e. a piano performance) from a project in Gadget and “import” them in other project.
    This is a recipe using Cubasis, but you should be able to replicate it with other MiDI sequencer of your choice. I understand it’s not ideal and maybe cumbersome, but once you understand the procedure it can be done in just a minute.

1) Export “Standard MIDI File” from Gadget to Dropbox
    2) Locate the track you need to import in your other project (you can delete all the others)
    3) Load the MIDI file in Cubasis and load the MiDI part in a track with no instrument assigned
    4) In Cubasis’ track Routing, enable MIDI Out to Gadget
    5) in Gadget, load your destination project
    6) In Gadget settings, make sure MIDI Input is in “Easy” mode and MIDI Sync is in Auto (or Ext)
    7) Enable MIDI (yellow highlight) in the track you need to “import” your MIDI file and arm for recording
    8) In Cubasis, make sure “Send MIdI clock” is enabled in Setup->MIDI
    9) Tap “Play” in Cubasis
    10) You should have your MIDI track recorded (“imported”) in your destination project in Gadget

Hope this helps.

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@LeonKowalski said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Works fine here.

Since you like Gadget, you might want to consider using Xequence as the midi sequencer for Gadget. Xequence is a midi-only timeline based app that can be used to drive the tracks in Gadget rather than using it’s own piano roll. It does a far better job at things like copying parts between songs (simple copy/paste operation).

It’s also a possible solution to your short-term problem. You can export the Gadget midi, import into Xequence, then play that midi back into Gadget. You can also record that playback as midi in Gadget if you want to. AudioBus works great for synchronizing the start and timing for this.

• @Rodolfo said:
    Well, although it can’t be done, I use a workaround to export some long or complex MIDI parts (i.e. a piano performance) from a project in Gadget and “import” them in other project.
    This is a recipe using Cubasis, but you should be able to replicate it with other MiDI sequencer of your choice. I understand it’s not ideal and maybe cumbersome, but once you understand the procedure it can be done in just a minute.

1) Export “Standard MIDI File” from Gadget to Dropbox
    2) Locate the track you need to import in your other project (you can delete all the others)
    3) Load the MIDI file in Cubasis and load the MiDI part in a track with no instrument assigned
    4) In Cubasis’ track Routing, enable MIDI Out to Gadget
    5) in Gadget, load your destination project
    6) In Gadget settings, make sure MIDI Input is in “Easy” mode and MIDI Sync is in Auto (or Ext)
    7) Enable MIDI (yellow highlight) in the track you need to “import” your MIDI file and arm for recording
    8) In Cubasis, make sure “Send MIdI clock” is enabled in Setup->MIDI
    9) Tap “Play” in Cubasis
    10) You should have your MIDI track recorded (“imported”) in your destination project in Gadget

Hope this helps.

Whoo, this sounds complicated, but I will try it. Thanks a lot for sharing!

• @wim said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@LeonKowalski said:

@DaveMagoo said:

Works fine here.

Since you like Gadget, you might want to consider using Xequence as the midi sequencer for Gadget. Xequence is a midi-only timeline based app that can be used to drive the tracks in Gadget rather than using it’s own piano roll. It does a far better job at things like copying parts between songs (simple copy/paste operation).

It’s also a possible solution to your short-term problem. You can export the Gadget midi, import into Xequence, then play that midi back into Gadget. You can also record that playback as midi in Gadget if you want to. AudioBus works great for synchronizing the start and timing for this.

Thanks a lot for your tips. I purchased Xequence to give it a try, but I have to admit it looks intimidating...😳

• @LeonKowalski Trust me. Once you use Xequence and get the hang of it.. you will never sequence in Gadget again. There are some good YouTube videos here... he did a small series on it.

• @LeonKowalski also, you can shout at me should any questions remain :) Xequence is not really much different than, say, Cubasis' sequencer in concept.

• @LeonKowalski : spend 20 minutes reading the documentation that comes with Xequence and that time will repay you immensely! Xeq is straightforward once someone explains its conventions.

• @espiegel123 said:
    @LeonKowalski : spend 20 minutes reading the documentation that comes with Xequence and that time will repay you immensely! Xeq is straightforward once someone explains its conventions.

I'm going to give this approach a try also. Does remind me (must be my learning style) how much I always wish someone could just pop round and give me a quick hands on overview for 20 minutes while I fire inane questions at them etc. Videos are good, but not quite the same...