Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Stagelight is live on the App Store!

Comments

• Potential Stagelight bugs...?

I was working with Stagelight last night, trying to transfer projects using that functionality, and every time I'd try between my Win10 PC, iPad and iPhone, it would say "Transfer failed" with no other info. Also, my iPhone was the only one showing up as a target anywhere. I finally gave up and started saving songs to OneDrive which seemed to do the trick.

On another note, I may have been slightly intoxicated but I swear when I plugged in Apple lightning connector headphones to my 1st gen iPad Pro in the middle of playing back a track, everything sped up or maybe just played a half step higher. I did it several times in a row to confirm. It was just 1 drum track and 2 or 3 loops going. Can't figure that one out.

• @oddSTAR said:
    Potential Stagelight bugs...?

I was working with Stagelight last night, trying to transfer projects using that functionality, and every time I'd try between my Win10 PC, iPad and iPhone, it would say "Transfer failed" with no other info. Also, my iPhone was the only one showing up as a target anywhere. I finally gave up and started saving songs to OneDrive which seemed to do the trick.

On another note, I may have been slightly intoxicated but I swear when I plugged in Apple lightning connector headphones to my 1st gen iPad Pro in the middle of playing back a track, everything sped up or maybe just played a half step higher. I did it several times in a row to confirm. It was just 1 drum track and 2 or 3 loops going. Can't figure that one out.

I think that’s the same ‘sample rate / out of tune’ bug we’ve been discussing

• @oddSTAR said:
    Potential Stagelight bugs...?

Regarding your second point, yes (not that you were intoxicated :-) but that everything sped up and played about half step higher).
    This is the issue we are discussing in the previous comments of this thread. When you plug your lightning headphones the sample rate changes from 44KHz to 48KHz and there’s a bug with many AU synths that can’t adapt to the new sample rate. I’m not sure if there’s a problem with the host not properly communicating the new sample rate to the plugins, or the plugins not listening for that message or both.
    Many apps have already solved the problem but many others are still suffering from this widespread disease...

• I believe we should open a dedicated thread for this “out of tune” issue and involve the different devs in the conversation so we can fix this problem once and for all.

• @gregsmith said:

@MatthewAtStagelight said:

@gregsmith said:
    So getting back on track - @MatthewAtStagelight @OpenLabstechsupport

Any update on the out of tune bug? 😀

4.0.4 (in beta now) is mainly focusing on the track freeze and rendering issues reported. It is still on our short list to look at though, but since someone was able to reproduce the issue with AEM, (see below) it might need to be fixed by the developer. I was planning on reaching out to him when we get back to work tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted!

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith and to confirm, zeeon sounds in tune with other instruments at 48k when playing through the speakers of your device?

@gregsmith said:

Thanks for helping with @gregsmith

Can you check and see if your project settings in Audio Evolution are set to 44.1 or 48k? If I recall correctly, Audio Evolution allows you to set this. If so, can you set a project to 48k, then load Zeeon and see if the problem persists?

Thanks!

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Happy Monday Everyone!

Stagelight 4.0.3 is rolling out now.

Change log

-Fixed a potential crash during mixdown
    -Fixed Drum Sound Automation Crash
    -SampleVerse: Fixed LFO master volume Control
    -SampleVerse: Fixed LFO sync issues
    -SampleVerse: Recalling Oscillator gains correctly
    -SampleVerse: Fixed saved SFZ exporting
    -SampleVerse: Fixed Oscillator Save As menu
    -Sequencer: Fixed Pitch Wheel recording issue
    -Sequencer: prevent recording empty clip patterns
    -Sequencer: Fix for occasional "cannot save during recording" error
    -Sequencer: FIx for MIDI Clock Start/Stop issue
    -Freeze: Fixed unfrozen drum tracks recalling the correct sounds
    -Freeze: Fixed unfreezing for 3rd party plugins
    -Freeze: Fixed audio playback on frozen track on timeline
    -Freeze: Fixed potential lockup on loading
    -Plugins: Fixed some plugin delay compensation
    -Plugins: fixed issue with saving presets in ElectroInstruments

On to 4.0.4 this week.. stay tuned!

Excellent! Looking forward to 4.0.4 and hopefully a fix to the ‘out of tune’ bug.

For the out of tune issue with Zeeon, can anyone confirm that it works ok in other AU hosts on teh new iphone x and ipad pro?

It’s fine in Audio Evolution Mobile on iPhone X

I get this message when switching sample rates. ‘Sample rate conversion’ presumably is the fix?

@gregsmith said:

Thanks for helping with @gregsmith

Can you check and see if your project settings in Audio Evolution are set to 44.1 or 48k? If I recall correctly, Audio Evolution allows you to set this. If so, can you set a project to 48k, then load Zeeon and see if the problem persists?

Thanks!

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Happy Monday Everyone!

Stagelight 4.0.3 is rolling out now.

Change log

-Fixed a potential crash during mixdown
    -Fixed Drum Sound Automation Crash
    -SampleVerse: Fixed LFO master volume Control
    -SampleVerse: Fixed LFO sync issues
    -SampleVerse: Recalling Oscillator gains correctly
    -SampleVerse: Fixed saved SFZ exporting
    -SampleVerse: Fixed Oscillator Save As menu
    -Sequencer: Fixed Pitch Wheel recording issue
    -Sequencer: prevent recording empty clip patterns
    -Sequencer: Fix for occasional "cannot save during recording" error
    -Sequencer: FIx for MIDI Clock Start/Stop issue
    -Freeze: Fixed unfrozen drum tracks recalling the correct sounds
    -Freeze: Fixed unfreezing for 3rd party plugins
    -Freeze: Fixed audio playback on frozen track on timeline
    -Freeze: Fixed potential lockup on loading
    -Plugins: Fixed some plugin delay compensation
    -Plugins: fixed issue with saving presets in ElectroInstruments

On to 4.0.4 this week.. stay tuned!

Excellent! Looking forward to 4.0.4 and hopefully a fix to the ‘out of tune’ bug.

For the out of tune issue with Zeeon, can anyone confirm that it works ok in other AU hosts on teh new iphone x and ipad pro?

It’s fine in Audio Evolution Mobile on iPhone X

I get this message when switching sample rates. ‘Sample rate conversion’ presumably is the fix?

Ok I’ve just tried this on AEM. Started a project which defaulted to 44.1 sample rate and Zeeon was in tune. I switch to 48 and it shifted up by about a tone and a half which put it out of tune. So it turns out the problem is there in AEM too! Although you’re able to switch to 44.1 which I can’t in SL.

Merry Christmas @MatthewAtStagelight !

It was me who was able to recreate the bug in AEM ☺️

I’ve also already reached out to @giku_beepstreet in this thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/590088#Comment_590088

But nothing from him yet. Sounds like the problem has existed for a while. There’s other apps too that do the same thing - I’ll work on a list.

Thanks so much for persevering!

Merry Christmas to you @gregsmith and thanks to everyone for helping us track down this issue!

• @Rodolfo said:
    I believe we should open a dedicated thread for this “out of tune” issue and involve the different devs in the conversation so we can fix this problem once and for all.

Posted a new thread here - https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30502/many-synths-out-of-tune-at-48khz-sample-rate

Please pitch in with your thoughts :smile:

@Janosax @MatthewAtStagelight

• Just got an email from Matt re my questions insofar as slicing , chopping and editing on Sampleverse . Every concern I had was already on the plan to be addressed in 2019.. This will be one mind blower of an app later this year if it isn’t already ..

• @gregsmith said:

@Rodolfo said:
    I believe we should open a dedicated thread for this “out of tune” issue and involve the different devs in the conversation so we can fix this problem once and for all.

Posted a new thread here - https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30502/many-synths-out-of-tune-at-48khz-sample-rate

Please pitch in with your thoughts :smile:

@Janosax @MatthewAtStagelight

So lots of comments on the thread and all pointing back at stagelight being the issue as the synths work fine in other hosts at 48khz

• edited December 2018

So is anything happening? @MatthewAtStagelight @OpenLabstechsupport

• @gregsmith said:

They’re on holidays :)

• And, we’ll dese! :D <3

@Janosax said:

@gregsmith said:

They’re on holidays :)

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Kühl said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Kühl said:

@Telstar5 said:
    @ErrkaPetti : How are you finding Stagelight as a DAW, now that you’ve been working w NS2 for a while?

I’m sad to say I find it better. NanoStudio has better presets, and obsidian is a good instrument, but there’s no audio... it’s only a midi sequencer as far as I can see.

I don’t find the absence of audio files as a problem...
    Easy to workaround it in Slate with unlimited long samples mounted on the timeline (vocals etc)...

It’s a way to do it, but it will be fine if they add audio tracks, so I can freeze the midi

However, do you know how to delete a project or for that sake: a track? I’ve trued everything, but for the videos.

The easiest way is to delete it direct in the Files app, under your “on my ipad” section and in the Nanostudio 2 folder Projects...

Thanx, I found it out after sitting down with a coffee and thinking logical. My brain 🧠 suddenly awoke :)

• @gregsmith said:

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for late reply here. You're correct in that we've been off for the Holidays. I meant to check in more here over the break, but we all know how crazy things get during these times :-). I hoped to get the final 4.0.4 patch released beforehand but it will be next week (Wednesday to be precise) before we're back in full force. Hope you all have a Happy New Year!

• @MatthewAtStagelight said:

@gregsmith said:

Hey Everyone,

Sorry for late reply here. You're correct in that we've been off for the Holidays. I meant to check in more here over the break, but we all know how crazy things get during these times :-). I hoped to get the final 4.0.4 patch released beforehand but it will be next week (Wednesday to be precise) before we're back in full force. Hope you all have a Happy New Year!

It’s all good, I’m off for another week yet. Was surprised you replied over the holidays at all 😄

• @MatthewAtStagelight just another quick update - I’ve worked out the last couple of days that on the new iPad Pro on headphones with the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, the problem doesn’t exist. Presumably it’s switching the sample rate.

• @gregsmith said:

@Jumpercollins said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    @Jumpercollins thanks for all your screenshots etc., did you find a particular video out there helpful?

Not many videos out there yet none I know of for iOS specific hopefully @doug or @davypoo or @djpuzzle will push something out could be a good series to produce and get loads of views !

The ‘lessons’ when you first start the app are really good. You can rock through them all in 15-20 mins

I do have something in the works! Incorporating into my synth rig using Prophet 12, Nord Lead 2X, and DSI Tempest. Problem is these things take time!

• edited January 2019

@gregsmith said:
    @MatthewAtStagelight just another quick update - I’ve worked out the last couple of days that on the new iPad Pro on headphones with the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, the problem doesn’t exist. Presumably it’s switching the sample rate.

Thanks for the info @gregsmith . We'll be on to this issue for 4.0.5. With that said, 4.0.4 RC has been submitted for approval and released to the beta channels. Once it is approved, we'll be on to 4.0.5 so hopefully this will get resolved very soon!

Regarding 4.0.4. Below is the changelog. In addition to the usual round of fixes we've made some pretty big enhancements to Track Freeze, and Record to Timeline.... plus... you'll notice we slipped in an option to "Enable Background Audio" :-). With this and Audiobus, I'm now able to route some AUv3 MIDI plugins to Stagelight Instrument tracks. While it's only a first step to supporting AudioBus and IAA, it's cool for what it can do today.

Stagelight 4.0.4 Full Release Notes

Track Freeze Enhancements
    -Optimized Speed
    -Numerous bug fixes

Rec to Timeline Enhancements
    -Can now use main transport to play parts on the timeline view while in LoopBuilder mode. Note: This behavior is only active when the record button is set to Record to Timeline mode.

Other changes and fixes
    -Switch for Background Audio support
    -Multi-thread updates (for supported devices)
    -Added Track I/O Settings back on Android/Chrome devices
    -Preliminary Android notch support
    -Fixed copy/paste of MPE based MIDI patterns
    -MIDI Automation recording fixes
    -SampleVerse: Note fixes and interpolation updates
    -SampleVerse: Fixed LFO settings where numbers would be shown in decimals vs fractions
    -Fixed some stuck note issues
    -Fixed issue with Drum Machine not recalling custom drum samples
    -iOS: File export support for cloud accounts should work
    -Multiple crash/hangs fixes across all platforms
    -Fixed some Auto Save bugs
    -Android: Fixed SFZ Import directory issue
    -Fixed some GUI glitches

Talk soon!

Matt

• @MatthewAtStagelight said:

@gregsmith said:
    @MatthewAtStagelight just another quick update - I’ve worked out the last couple of days that on the new iPad Pro on headphones with the USB-C to 3.5mm adapter, the problem doesn’t exist. Presumably it’s switching the sample rate.

Thanks for the info @gregsmith . We'll be on to this issue for 4.0.5. With that said, 4.0.4 RC has been submitted for approval and released to the beta channels. Once it is approved, we'll be on to 4.0.5 so hopefully this will get resolved very soon!

Regarding 4.0.4. Below is the changelog. In addition to the usual round of fixes we've made some pretty big enhancements to Track Freeze, and Record to Timeline.... plus... you'll notice we slipped in an option to "Enable Background Audio" :-). With this and Audiobus, I'm now able to route some AUv3 MIDI plugins to Stagelight Instrument tracks. While it's only a first step to supporting AudioBus and IAA, it's cool for what it can do today.

Stagelight 4.0.4 Full Release Notes

Track Freeze Enhancements
    -Optimized Speed
    -Numerous bug fixes

Rec to Timeline Enhancements
    -Can now use main transport to parts on timeline view while in LoopBuilder mode

Other changes and fixes
    -Switch for Background Audio support
    -Multi-thread updates (for supported devices)
    -Added Track I/O Settings back on Android/Chrome devices
    -Preliminary Android notch support
    -Fixed copy/paste of MPE based MIDI patterns
    -MIDI Automation recording fixes
    -SampleVerse: Note fixes and interpolation updates
    -SampleVerse: Fixed LFO settings where numbers would be shown in decimals vs fractions
    -Fixed some stuck note issues
    -Fixed issue with Drum Machine not recalling custom drum samples
    -iOS: File export support for cloud accounts should work
    -Multiple crash/hangs fixes across all platforms
    -Fixed some Auto Save bugs
    -Android: Fixed SFZ Import directory issue
    -Fixed some GUI glitches

Talk soon!

Matt

Awesome stuff :)

• @MatthewAtStagelight good news!

I have a modest feature request - in Sampleverse, the keyboard and grid pads always bend the pitch if you slide your finger left or right (no glissando mode). Could we have the option to switch that off so that new notes are triggered when sliding laterally instead of bending the original note?

Relatedly, when we are in that lateral pitch bend mode in sampleverse, could we have the ability to adjust the portamento time? Currently, the bend time is a bit slow for faster tempo expressive playing.

Finally, noise waveform option for the LFO pretty please!

• @Identor said:
    A little downside in NS2 workflow is that you can't hear a sound when you click on the piano roll in the edit window, you have to draw a note to hear it.

It's a big down side, they should add the keyboard to every screen just like every other daw type app out there

• I wish there was at least a two stage envelope to adjust each drum sound. Shortening the sample length to approximate decay sounds terrible most of the time. Usually I like lengthening the attack on ride cymbals and it’s not possible right now.

• I was trying yesterday for the first time (in deep almost) the desktop app and I didn't find any kind of sample slicer... I was messing with Sampleverse so maybe it's another plug for that? it's a future feature maybe?

I search through the tutorials but nothing related to that...

• I think you have to do it through the audio display for now . I think it’s a planned feature.

• @Telstar5 said:
    I think you have to do it through the audio display for now . I think it’s a planned feature.

Whay is audio display? The usual grid? It has copy/paste and sample start/end points?

• Sorry I should have explained better . Here is a quote from Matt
    “SampleVerse
    You can trim samples today by dragging on the left and right ends of the sample. Slicing and more editing capabilities are coming in a future update”

• Update live!! <3 <3 <3 <3
    Background Audio now! Thanks so much! Loving this DAW!

• @MusicMan4Christ said:
    Update live!! <3 <3 <3 <3
    Background Audio now! Thanks so much! Loving this DAW!

No problem. We'll be working on the AU sample rate issue (plus others) next.