Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

OT: Observations

Comments

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    Damn, that's a good one! The interview on NPR with the creators was fascinating.

I will look out for that.....this was my second, put me off a bit. Before breakfast and all.

• My first go, I genuinely didn't keep refreshing until I got this:

• The NPR interview goes into how the algorithm was fine-tuned over time to get great results with almost-random phrases. But they admit that most of the time it's the human on the other end who supplies the meaning.

• @lukesleepwalker said:
    The NPR interview goes into how the algorithm was fine-tuned over time to get great results with almost-random phrases. But they admit that most of the time it's the human on the other end who supplies the meaning.

I pretty certain @MonzoPro's pussy just claimed this week's prize....

• @MonzoPro said:

the bottles of essential oils are to help with the neck strain I presume?

• Drummers. The worst.

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Drummers. The worst.

+1

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:
    Drummers. The worst.

so... now yr resorting to stealing my clippings! tssk..

• edited December 2018

• edited December 2018

Funnily enough I was going to make my debut comment on this thread months ago, but the timing didn’t seem quite right either.

Some great stuff here.

Thanks!

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    For the want of having nothing else to do (how glorious) I found myself fiddling on the desktop with a thing called Obscuriam.

Erm. It's unbelievably good. I mean, I have all the iOS Sugar-Bytes stuff, where the hell is this? Is there some technical reason that can be thought of? I was fiddling about for no more than five minutes and just stopped and started to laugh at how good it is. Completely changed my dial setting about what's next.

I want this one, and the new Aparillo synth. I’d buy them without any hesitation whatsoever if they went iOS, I reckon it’ll be years though, if ever.

My mate bought the SB bundle a couple of days ago. I haven’t got that amount of cash to spend, but if the single products are included in the next 50% sale I might have to dig into the new roof pot.

Looks like you guessed well on the Aparillo back in January. Let's hope Obscuriam will get the same treatment. Went quick didn't it...

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:
    For the want of having nothing else to do (how glorious) I found myself fiddling on the desktop with a thing called Obscuriam.

Erm. It's unbelievably good. I mean, I have all the iOS Sugar-Bytes stuff, where the hell is this? Is there some technical reason that can be thought of? I was fiddling about for no more than five minutes and just stopped and started to laugh at how good it is. Completely changed my dial setting about what's next.

I want this one, and the new Aparillo synth. I’d buy them without any hesitation whatsoever if they went iOS, I reckon it’ll be years though, if ever.

My mate bought the SB bundle a couple of days ago. I haven’t got that amount of cash to spend, but if the single products are included in the next 50% sale I might have to dig into the new roof pot.

Looks like you guessed well on the Aparillo back in January. Let's hope Obscuriam will get the same treatment. Went quick didn't it...

Ahhh....they’re having a sale, not sure my iTunes voucher will cover it but I’ll take a peek.

Happy Christmas to you and yours boss, I’m guessing the house there is filled with hip hop beats from the Maschine :)

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Ahhh....they’re having a sale, not sure my iTunes voucher will cover it but I’ll take a peek.

Happy Christmas to you and yours boss, I’m guessing the house there is filled with hip hop beats from the Maschine :)

Not yet. Am going through the inevitably long-winded-soon-forgotten-like-childbirth setup process :) It should be ready by about the same time we have to leave for the Hill Country and dinner amongst the coyotes.....the kind of frustration that makes me feel precisely like a kid again :) As ever, have declared tomorrow Boxing Day throughout this sorry state of Texas etc. Now the wrapping is done we will be rapping...

• edited December 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Not yet. Am going through the inevitably long-winded-soon-forgotten-like-childbirth setup process :) It should be ready by about the same time we have to leave for the Hill Country and dinner amongst the coyotes.....the kind of frustration that makes me feel precisely like a kid again :) As ever, have declared tomorrow Boxing Day throughout this sorry state of Texas etc. Now the wrapping is done we will be rapping...

Takes an age to download if you didn’t get the disk version - there’s quite a few bits I’ve still yet to grab. The Maschine itself takes a bit of figuring out - I still have to rewatch YouTube vids to prick my memory.

Pondering whether to spend all my £30 iTunes voucher on NS2, or get some cheap bits and cross my fingers for a new year sale...

Lazy quiet day here today, tomorrow is ‘do the accounts’ day apparently.

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

Takes an age to download if you didn’t get the disk version - there’s quite a few bits I’ve still yet to grab. The Maschine itself takes a bit of figuring out - I still have to rewatch YouTube vids to prick my memory.

Pondering whether to spend all my £30 iTunes voucher on NS2, or get some cheap bits and cross my fingers for a new year sale...

‘do the accounts’ day always sounds like the good lady has some metaphysical reckoning in mind, thankfully it's usually just breast-beating about general expenditures and some unspecified future need to tighten our belts etc.

I am in favour of NS2. Whether you, specifically, need it, I find less certain. Hard to put value on another man's ease of use or flow etc. The best of these iOS mini-DAWs do a pretty good job these days, but for me NS2 is probably the place I will do most of my mobile work from here on in, and that only after a week or two of use (and, remember, in the hands of a dolt).

I would be shocked (and not in the Captain Renault way) if NS2 went on sale this soon. Could do, but just doesn't feel right. Easter maybe?

If I had the extra and enough for it I'd certainly go ahead and get it now. The picking up of other cheap tat in threes and fours will always be available come some lubricated cold Friday night in the January you will soon be joining :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

‘do the accounts’ day always sounds like the good lady has some metaphysical reckoning in mind, thankfully it's usually just breast-beating about general expenditures and some unspecified future need to tighten our belts etc.

I am in favour of NS2. Whether you, specifically, need it, I find less certain. Hard to put value on another man's ease of use or flow etc. The best of these iOS mini-DAWs do a pretty good job these days, but for me NS2 is probably the place I will do most of my mobile work from here on in, and that only after a week or two of use (and, remember, in the hands of a dolt).

I would be shocked (and not in the Captain Renault way) if NS2 went on sale this soon. Could do, but just doesn't feel right. Easter maybe?

If I had the extra and enough for it I'd certainly go ahead and get it now. The picking up of other cheap tat in threes and fours will always be available come some lubricated cold Friday night in the January you will soon be joining :)

I hear you Boss, but £30 is a fair whack these days. I think if it had audio tracks I’d take the plunge...not ruling it out mind...

I’m going to treat myself to a Zoom recorder in the sales, if there are any good deals. I like the idea of doing some proper field recording, chopping up the audio and playing it back via Maschine.

I’ve got a head full of ideas but no time to pour them...

• I got a Zoom iQ7 recently, instead of a handy recorder.
    Nice to record directly into AudioShare with comparable quality.

• @rs2000 said:
    I got a Zoom iQ7 recently, instead of a handy recorder.
    Nice to record directly into AudioShare with comparable quality.

I’ll have to check those out, but I’ll probably go with a separate unit: H2-4n :)

• @MonzoPro said:

I hear you, but -as ever- always better that way than the other...

Obvious Maschine question of the day: Do you have a midi keyboard hooked up to it in any way?

Welcome to Boxing Day, btw. Always my personal favourite.... :)

• @JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Obvious Maschine question of the day: Do you have a midi keyboard hooked up to it in any way?

I tend to use the pads as a keyboard - as you can fix them to a scale, or play chords....but I also have a keyboard plugged into my laptop, and the software should allow you to use either.

Happy tapping!

• @MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

I tend to use the pads as a keyboard - as you can fix them to a scale, or play chords....but I also have a keyboard plugged into my laptop, and the software should allow you to use either.

Happy tapping!

Ha! Perverse isn't it, the contraryness of age. I am less patient, but more patient. Couldn't get sound out of the bugger for a long hour last night, but know now, finally, that sometimes in a new world one must beat on things with a rock until the opaque becomes obvious and, more importantly, trust in the fact that you know it will (albeit at some unspecified moment in the future, rather than RIGHT NOW when you wish it)....the saving grace is the fact that it is very obvious very quickly how deep this bastard is and the only limit is my own lack etc. All good :) Now, if it only burned calories as well.....

• edited December 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

Ha! Perverse isn't it, the contraryness of age. I am less patient, but more patient. Couldn't get sound out of the bugger for a long hour last night, but know now, finally, that sometimes in a new world one must beat on things with a rock until the opaque becomes obvious and, more importantly, trust in the fact that you know it will (albeit at some unspecified moment in the future, rather than RIGHT NOW when you wish it)....the saving grace is the fact that it is very obvious very quickly how deep this bastard is and the only limit is my own lack etc. All good :) Now, if it only burned calories as well.....

Are you using it as a soundcard? That still confuses me, when I try sampling and monitoring at the same time. There’s an obvious button to turn on in the settings labelled ‘monitor’, but you have to have another five things aligned in the matrix before it works.

Best thing for me is sample slicing in ‘auto’ mode. Hit pad one, then each pad in turn to mark your slice point, then zoom in after for more precise tweaking. Hit apply, and it’s sliced to you pads ready for triggering.

• edited December 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

Are you using it as a soundcard? That still confuses me, when I try sampling and monitoring at the same time. There’s an obvious button to turn on in the settings labelled ‘monitor’, but you have to have another five things aligned in the matrix before it works.

Best thing for me is sample slicing in ‘auto’ mode. Hit pad one, then each pad in turn to mark your slice point, then zoom in after for more precise tweaking. Hit apply, and it’s sliced to you pads ready for triggering.

My dear boy, that's like asking a man happy to be gnawing on stale bread if he's found the sirloin yet :)

When I open the thing I get

followed promptly by (when I go like a simple n00b to the 'more info' link)

:) Ah the mystery of computers....

Rock. Hammer. Keep beating (and happily enough for now...)

• edited December 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

My dear boy, that's like asking a man happy to be gnawing on stale bread if he's found the sirloin yet :)

Have you downloaded Massive? If so might be worth rebooting and rescanning your plugins, or checking the path to the folder is correct.

^ I assume this is coherent advice, we spent the day climbing hills with friends, followed by very boozy sing-a-longs, followed by more booze, so I could have just typed a load of numbers.

• edited December 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

Have you downloaded Massive? If so might be worth rebooting and rescanning your plugins, or checking the path to the folder is correct.

^ I assume this is coherent advice, we spent the day climbing hills with friends, followed by very boozy sing-a-longs, followed by more booze, so I could have just typed a load of numbers.

It's all good my friend. Not looking or expecting any customer support ALTHOUGH I did tell the missus last night that if we were the rich people I would be sending the jet to Wales etc :)

Climbing and boozing and friends; the perfect Boxing Day. Well done...

• edited December 2018

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

@JohnnyGoodyear said:

@MonzoPro said:

Happy tapping!

It's all good my friend. Not looking or expecting any customer support ALTHOUGH I did tell the missus last night that if we were the rich people I would be sending the jet to Wales etc :)

Climbing and boozing and friends; the perfect Boxing Day. Well done...

Paying for it today...doing the accounts with a sore head ain't fun. If you lived locally I'd be more than happy to have a Maschine session distraction at the moment.

Weirdly last night's sing-song might have a constructive outcome. Bouyed by tales of how much local cover bands are getting paid, a plan has been formulated for a 'Yazoo-style' duo or trio to do the rounds. My friends missus is a belter of a singer, he plays guiitar, and I'd be programming all the beats and shog and performing it on the Maschine. Only drawback with that plan is I have to build all the tracks on the Maschine thing first....

Probaby won't happen, and I'm pretty happy doing my solo silly stuff anyway, but it'd be insteresting to see how the Maschine coped in a live situation like that.