Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Stagelight is live on the App Store!

Comments

• @Telstar5 said:
    @ErrkaPetti : How are you finding Stagelight as a DAW, now that you’ve been working w NS2 for a while?

I really love the way Nanostudio 2 looks and function!
    And, Perhaps the most important, the stability in Nanostudio 2 is perhaps the best ever on iOS, including every category!!
    The stability make you safe and relaxed, and in the same time inspired to make music or not just fiddle with apps and Functionality that not working all the time...

I can say that Nanostudio 2 is the best app ever for me!

Stagelight on my big iPad Pro is pretty close, but, I don’t like the user interface...
    Sure, the scaling is a good features, but the overall colors choosen and the unintuitive UI don’t feels good to me...

And, there’s something with the sound of everything that not is spot on in the matter of sound quality...

But Stagelight probably have a future on iOS and may evolve to something really awesome in near future..,

• @Kühl said:

@Telstar5 said:
    @ErrkaPetti : How are you finding Stagelight as a DAW, now that you’ve been working w NS2 for a while?

I’m sad to say I find it better. NanoStudio has better presets, and obsidian is a good instrument, but there’s no audio... it’s only a midi sequencer as far as I can see.

I don’t find the absence of audio files as a problem...
    Easy to workaround it in Slate with unlimited long samples mounted on the timeline (vocals etc)...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Kühl said:

@Telstar5 said:

I’m sad to say I find it better. NanoStudio has better presets, and obsidian is a good instrument, but there’s no audio... it’s only a midi sequencer as far as I can see.

Easy to workaround it in Slate with unlimited long samples mounted on the timeline (vocals etc)...

It’s a way to do it, but it will be fine if they add audio tracks, so I can freeze the midi

However, do you know how to delete a project or for that sake: a track? I’ve trued everything, but for the videos.

• edited December 2018

@Kühl said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Kühl said:

@Telstar5 said:

It’s a way to do it, but it will be fine if they add audio tracks, so I can freeze the midi

However, do you know how to delete a project or for that sake: a track? I’ve trued everything, but for the videos.

At least I know how to delete a track:
    Mark the track, push the minus button below (in track view)...

• @Kühl said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Kühl said:

@Telstar5 said:

The easiest way is to delete it direct in the Files app, under your “on my ipad” section and in the Nanostudio 2 folder Projects...

• edited December 2018

A little downside in NS2 workflow is that you can't hear a sound when you click on the piano roll in the edit window, you have to draw a note to hear it.

• @Identor said:
    A little downside in NS2 workflow is that you can't hear a sound when you click on the piano roll in the edit window, you have to draw a note to hear it.

Don’t see it as a problem though...
    Put your finger down on the timeline and draw it up or down for hearing the right note (it’s enough for me)...

• edited December 2018

@ErrkaPetti : I agree with you re the look of the. UI and also the sound quality ..It certainly is no “Obsidian” in the sound department . . A bit thin and glossy sounding .. as if wrapped in cellophane..It kind of sounds like the old Alesia Quadra Synth, albeit with more bass. . Still I really like it and I predict as I said previously that they’ll redo the sound engine at some point .

• Hi guys, this thread is actually about StageLight, may I suggest that you open other thread to discuss about NS2? Many people are subscribed to this thread because of StageLight and we are all receiving tons of notifications of something not related. Please let’s keep it organized. Thanks for you comprehension.

• So getting back on track - @MatthewAtStagelight @OpenLabstechsupport

Any update on the out of tune bug? 😀

• @Rodolfo said:
    Hi guys, this thread is actually about StageLight, may I suggest that you open other thread to discuss about NS2? Many people are subscribed to this thread because of StageLight and we are all receiving tons of notifications of something not related. Please let’s keep it organized. Thanks for you comprehension.

Si si sênor!!

But, Stagelight &NS2 had a near releaseday so the comparing between them is almost unavoidable...

• @ErrkaPetti said:

@Rodolfo said:
    Hi guys, this thread is actually about StageLight, may I suggest that you open other thread to discuss about NS2? Many people are subscribed to this thread because of StageLight and we are all receiving tons of notifications of something not related. Please let’s keep it organized. Thanks for you comprehension.

Si si sênor!!

But, Stagelight &NS2 had a near releaseday so the comparing between them is almost unavoidable...

Correct ......

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@Telstar5 said:
    @ErrkaPetti : I agree with you re the look of the. UI and also the sound quality ..It certainly is no “Obsidian” in the sound department . . A bit thin and glossy sounding .. as if wrapped in cellophane..It kind of sounds like the old Alesia Quadra Synth, albeit with more bass. . Still I really like it and I predict as I said previously that they’ll redo the sound engine at some point .

Humm... I don’t see how they could redo the “sound engine”**. If you change the basic sound character of an app, you break every single existing project that people have built based on the old sound character. That, and I can’t think of a single synth ever that has altered its underlying sound character.

Maybe they could add different filters, FX, etc, but changing the basic character, I seriously doubt.

It’s a powerful synth, and IMO not broken in any significant way. Some synths just need to be learned well enough to get good sound out of them. Lack of great presets (IMO) to start from, and its kind of uninspiring (again IMO) interface, maybe don’t jumpstart that process as much as they could.

Not complaining - what I actually mean to say is Sampleverse has lots of potential, just maybe not so much to casual first lookers.

( ** whatever the hell people mean by that made-up abstraction for something that really doesn’t exist )

• edited December 2018

@Telstar5 said:

@ErrkaPetti said:

@Rodolfo said:

Si si sênor!!

Correct ......

@ErrkaPetti
    Yes but there's a full comparison thread going about this on AB. Please move your discussion

Check:
    Stagelight NS2 comparison
    https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/30244/stagelight-ns2-comparison

• edited December 2018

@wim said:

@Telstar5 said:

Humm... I don’t see how they could redo the “sound engine”**. If you change the basic sound character of an app, you break every single existing project that people have built based on the old sound character. That, and I can’t think of a single synth ever that has altered its underlying sound character.

Maybe they could add different filters, FX, etc, but changing the basic character, I seriously doubt.

It’s a powerful synth, and IMO not broken in any significant way. Some synths just need to be learned well enough to get good sound out of them. Lack of great presets (IMO) to start from, and its kind of uninspiring (again IMO) interface, maybe don’t jumpstart that process as much as they could.

Not complaining - what I actually mean to say is Sampleverse has lots of potential, just maybe not so much to casual first lookers.

( ** whatever the hell people mean by that made-up abstraction for something that really doesn’t exist )

All true, Wim. What I had in mind was Acoustica Mixcraft who actually premiered a “new sound engine” w Mixcraft 8 only last year. Same sounds, just fuller and more robust . Some synths on iOS just sound better than others.. Obsidian and also Reason Compact which manages to sound amazing despite its limitations.. Moog 15 also.. Fantastic audio experience ... And you’re entirely right about Sampleverse what with its myriad of modulation options. It’s why I’m primarily sticking with Stagelight for the time being. I’m very impressed both with the app and with the company. Eventually though, Wim had the right idea as expressed in the other group which is to use both. These really are two apps , both of which contain features that the other one does not .

• edited December 2018

Sound on Sound Magazine has a new 8 page review of Stagelight.. pretty stellar, especially re Sampleverse although the reviewer chided it for having extremely limited editing options as in slicing or chopping but he says Open Labs has lots of plans for it. You can buy the entire review from the magazine’s website as a pdf for $1.49 usd.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/17p9Y1jjqR71qPxFr9RCpFblgzXNnVG5Z/view?usp=drivesdk

• edited December 2018

@gregsmith said:
    So getting back on track - @MatthewAtStagelight @OpenLabstechsupport

4.0.4 (in beta now) is mainly focusing on the track freeze and rendering issues reported. It is still on our short list to look at though, but since someone was able to reproduce the issue with AEM, (see below) it might need to be fixed by the developer. I was planning on reaching out to him when we get back to work tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted!

@gregsmith said:

@MatthewAtStagelight said:
    @gregsmith and to confirm, zeeon sounds in tune with other instruments at 48k when playing through the speakers of your device?

@gregsmith said:

Thanks for helping with @gregsmith

Can you check and see if your project settings in Audio Evolution are set to 44.1 or 48k? If I recall correctly, Audio Evolution allows you to set this. If so, can you set a project to 48k, then load Zeeon and see if the problem persists?

Thanks!

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Happy Monday Everyone!

Stagelight 4.0.3 is rolling out now.

Change log

-Fixed a potential crash during mixdown
    -Fixed Drum Sound Automation Crash
    -SampleVerse: Fixed LFO master volume Control
    -SampleVerse: Fixed LFO sync issues
    -SampleVerse: Recalling Oscillator gains correctly
    -SampleVerse: Fixed saved SFZ exporting
    -SampleVerse: Fixed Oscillator Save As menu
    -Sequencer: Fixed Pitch Wheel recording issue
    -Sequencer: prevent recording empty clip patterns
    -Sequencer: Fix for occasional "cannot save during recording" error
    -Sequencer: FIx for MIDI Clock Start/Stop issue
    -Freeze: Fixed unfrozen drum tracks recalling the correct sounds
    -Freeze: Fixed unfreezing for 3rd party plugins
    -Freeze: Fixed audio playback on frozen track on timeline
    -Freeze: Fixed potential lockup on loading
    -Plugins: Fixed some plugin delay compensation
    -Plugins: fixed issue with saving presets in ElectroInstruments

On to 4.0.4 this week.. stay tuned!

Excellent! Looking forward to 4.0.4 and hopefully a fix to the ‘out of tune’ bug.

For the out of tune issue with Zeeon, can anyone confirm that it works ok in other AU hosts on teh new iphone x and ipad pro?

It’s fine in Audio Evolution Mobile on iPhone X

I get this message when switching sample rates. ‘Sample rate conversion’ presumably is the fix?

@gregsmith said:

Can you check and see if your project settings in Audio Evolution are set to 44.1 or 48k? If I recall correctly, Audio Evolution allows you to set this. If so, can you set a project to 48k, then load Zeeon and see if the problem persists?

Thanks!

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Happy Monday Everyone!

Change log

Excellent! Looking forward to 4.0.4 and hopefully a fix to the ‘out of tune’ bug.

For the out of tune issue with Zeeon, can anyone confirm that it works ok in other AU hosts on teh new iphone x and ipad pro?

I get this message when switching sample rates. ‘Sample rate conversion’ presumably is the fix?

Ok I’ve just tried this on AEM. Started a project which defaulted to 44.1 sample rate and Zeeon was in tune. I switch to 48 and it shifted up by about a tone and a half which put it out of tune. So it turns out the problem is there in AEM too! Although you’re able to switch to 44.1 which I can’t in SL.

• @MatthewAtStagelight said:

@gregsmith said:

4.0.4 (in beta now) is mainly focusing on the track freeze and rendering issues reported. It is still on our short list to look at though, but since someone was able to reproduce the issue with AEM, (see below) it might need to be fixed by the developer. I was planning on reaching out to him when we get back to work tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted!

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith and to confirm, zeeon sounds in tune with other instruments at 48k when playing through the speakers of your device?

@gregsmith said:

Thanks!

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Happy Monday Everyone!

Change log

@gregsmith said:

Thanks!

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Happy Monday Everyone!

Change log

Ok I’ve just tried this on AEM. Started a project which defaulted to 44.1 sample rate and Zeeon was in tune. I switch to 48 and it shifted up by about a tone and a half which put it out of tune. So it turns out the problem is there in AEM too! Although you’re able to switch to 44.1 which I can’t in SL.

Merry Christmas @MatthewAtStagelight !

It was me who was able to recreate the bug in AEM ☺️

I’ve also already reached out to @giku_beepstreet in this thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/590088#Comment_590088

But nothing from him yet. Sounds like the problem has existed for a while. There’s other apps too that do the same thing - I’ll work on a list.

Thanks so much for persevering!

• Bluemangoo has just fixed a similar issue with iFretless apps except that they were out of tune in standalone mode depending if you were using speakers 48khz or headphones 44.1 kHz. In AU mode there were however no issues.

• edited December 2018

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Thanks!

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Happy Monday Everyone!

Change log

@gregsmith said:

Thanks!

@gregsmith said:

@gregsmith said:

Happy Monday Everyone!

Change log

Merry Christmas @MatthewAtStagelight !

It was me who was able to recreate the bug in AEM ☺️

I’ve also already reached out to @giku_beepstreet in this thread:

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/comment/590088#Comment_590088

But nothing from him yet. Sounds like the problem has existed for a while. There’s other apps too that do the same thing - I’ll work on a list.

Thanks so much for persevering!

There are many apps with the same issue, one of them is Syntronik. I reported the bug to IK Multimedia long ago, they issued an app update but the problem is till there.

• If I remember rightly, I think the excellent Ice Gear synths - Laplace, Lorentz, Kronecker etc all have this issue

• edited December 2018

I’ve just tested all my AU instruments in AUM, apeMatrix, Audiobus and GarageBand hosts, none of them have the pitching issue. Here is the list:

Lorentz, Unique, Zeeon, ModelD, Volt, Noise, DRC, Syntronik, SynthMaster Player, BeatHawk, Ravenscroft275, AudioLayer, iFretless bass, Geoshred.

It’s not an appoholic, I try to buy and keep only those that I like and which have near zero issues and good dev support (okay I don’t mention AU drums (RM/Noir/Relice) and I’ve got near 50 carefully selected AU effects :D ).

I haven’t tested all of them in standalone mode, but BH, RS275, iFLBass and Geoshred don’t have any pitch issue.

It’s on iPhone 7 Plus latest iOS version.

• @Janosax said:
    I’ve just tested all my AU instruments in AUM, apeMatrix, Audiobus and GarageBand hosts, none of them have the pitching issue. Here is the list:

Lorentz, Unique, Zeeon, ModelD, Volt, Noise, DRC, Syntronik, SynthMaster Player, BeatHawk, Ravenscroft275, AudioLayer, iFretless bass, Geoshred.

It’s not an appoholic, I try to buy and keep only those that I like and which have near zero issues and good dev support (okay I don’t mention AU drums (RM/Noir/Relice) and I’ve got near 50 carefully selected AU effects :D ).

I haven’t tested all of them in standalone mode, but BH, RS275, iFLBass and Geoshred don’t have any pitch issue.

After your comment I rechecked Syntronik loaded in AUM in my iPhone 6S (with no interface or headphones connected, just internal speaker, therefore 48KHz sample rate)
    The issue is still there. If you load Syntronik as IAA it works fine, but if you load it as AU it’s out of tune by aproximately one step.
    Same issue with Synthmaster Player

• edited December 2018

@Rodolfo said:

@Janosax said:

After your comment I rechecked Syntronik loaded in AUM in my iPhone 6S (with no interface or headphones connected, just internal speaker, therefore 48KHz sample rate)
    The issue is still there. If you load Syntronik as IAA it works fine, but if you load it as AU it’s out of tune by aproximately one step.

They want to drive us crazy :o yes you’re right I’ve just tested again, those two synths have the issue at 48 kHz, one semi-tone too sharp. The issue is also there with headphones at 48 kHz, but not 44.1 kHz. That means it’s not possible to use them reliably on internal speakers.

• edited December 2018

@Janosax said:

@Rodolfo said:

@Janosax said:

They want to drive us crazy :o yes you’re right I’ve just tested again, those two synths have the issue at 48 kHz, one semi-tone too sharp. The issue is also there with headphones at 48 kHz, but not 44.1 kHz. That means it’s not possible to use them reliably on internal speakers.

The big problem is that iPhone X is locked to 48khz whatever you do, headphones or not. I have a new iPad Pro which is probably the same along with other newer hardware.

Is the problem with the synth app devs to fix, or the daw devs? If it’s the synth app devs then this needs its own thread.

• @gregsmith said:

@Janosax said:

@Rodolfo said:

@Janosax said:

The big problem is that iPhone X is locked to 48khz whatever you do, headphones or not. I have a new iPad Pro which is probably the same along with other newer hardware.

Is the problem with the synth app devs to fix, or the daw devs? If it’s the synth app devs then this needs its own thread.

iPhone X is locked even with external third party interfaces?

• @Janosax I’m not sure about third party interfaces.

Just testing my ipad pro and having the same problems, with and without the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle. Here’s the synths that are doing it:

• Zeeon
    • Laplace (and the other Ice Gears)
    • Poison 202
    • Phasemaker
    • Unique
    • Volt

Ones that don’t are Model D and Mood coincidentally.

I’ve probably written songs using only the out of tune synths that have ended up being in tune in their own key!!

This has got to be fixed. I can’t be the only one suffering from this.

• edited December 2018

@gregsmith said:
    @Janosax I’m not sure about third party interfaces.

Just testing my ipad pro and having the same problems, with and without the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle. Here’s the synths that are doing it:

• Zeeon
    • Poison 202
    • Phasemaker
    • Unique
    • Volt

I’ve probably written songs using only the out of tune synths that have ended up being in tune in their own key!!

This is really an annoying issue. To me it’s more of an Apple issue. It can be fixed by each individual dev but that can take some time. Only temp fix I see for you is to use a third party audio interface which allows 44.1 kHz.

• @Janosax said:

@gregsmith said:

• Zeeon
    • Poison 202
    • Phasemaker
    • Unique
    • Volt

This is really an annoying issue. To me it’s more of an Apple issue. It can be fixed by each individual dev but that can take some time. Only temp fix I see for you is to use a third party audio interface which allows 44.1 kHz.

what third party audio interface would you recommend?

• edited December 2018

@gregsmith said:

@Janosax said:

@gregsmith said:

• Zeeon
    • Poison 202
    • Phasemaker
    • Unique
    • Volt

what third party audio interface would you recommend?

It all depend on your needs: how many inputs, outputs, mic, instrument, midi, etc...

What I suggest to you is to get a very compact one, just to make your mobile music.

I’m pretty happy with iRig Pro IO sound quality. That could be one of their iRig HD2 which is even more compact. First one does the mic/instrument/midi, second one is for guitar. Double check which connectors are used/supplied but I know IKM now sells usb-c wires.