Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus on iPad1/iOS5... (dont laugh)

edited December 2018 in Support and Feedback

In preparation for my eventual move from Nanostudio 1 to Nanostudio 2 on my iPad Mini 2 (which is currently "locked" to 10.3.3) I bought an old iPad1 as my "Nanostudio1 life raft" device (it was really cheap) - and in terms of running NS1 its fine (same CPU as in the iPod Touch 4G apparently). However - I wondered if I could install some of the "oldies" on there - so Addictive, Animoog, Argon, iSEM, NLog, iVoxel, Thumbjam, iMS-20 and even Alchemy installed the appropriate old version and all work well enough to copy audio into the mass of half finished NS1 projects I have acquired over the years if I so desire.

But - to save me a load of time testing various combinations of saved .ipa for all my apps (and different version of apps) - did Audiobus ever _actually _work under iOS5.1.1? There was that "golden period" in NS where you could send other Apps audio into NS's sampler via Audiobus - but the version of Audiobus that installs (and the earliest i have the .IPA for I think) is 1.0.2.6 and doesnt work.

Not really a surprise to be honest - I never used iOS5 - I came in on my original devices with iOS6 and upgraded from there. So I dont think this will ever work - so I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm correct with my assessment (and use the time I would spend messing with an iPad1 and iOS5 getting an ancient version of Audiobus working, upgrading an iPad Mini2 to iOS 12 ready for NS instead :-) ).

Thank you

Comments

• Yes, it does work fine - within the limits of CPU power, which you probably noticed.
    The only bad thing I noticed with IOS 5 is that the AudioShare version has some limits in networking. But I still like SamplR-ing on that device B)

• @Telefunky: Do you mean Audiobus? It runs - but the only thing that is in the output slot is iVoxel (other than Speak Output of course). Even then it's a bit hit and miss :-)

I know I'm flogging a dead horse :smile:

• i have old mini 1 with NS1 too... just out of nostalgy.. but to be honest i don't see single one reason to run it :-)) NS2 contains all NS1 magic plus lot more :-)

• @kitejan said:
    In preparation for my eventual move from Nanostudio 1 to Nanostudio 2 on my iPad Mini 2 (which is currently "locked" to 10.3.3) I bought an old iPad1 as my "Nanostudio1 life raft" device (it was really cheap) - and in terms of running NS1 its fine (same CPU as in the iPod Touch 4G apparently). However - I wondered if I could install some of the "oldies" on there - so Addictive, Animoog, Argon, iSEM, NLog, iVoxel, Thumbjam, iMS-20 and even Alchemy installed the appropriate old version and all work well enough to copy audio into the mass of half finished NS1 projects I have acquired over the years if I so desire.

But - to save me a load of time testing various combinations of saved .ipa for all my apps (and different version of apps) - did Audiobus ever _actually _work under iOS5.1.1? There was that "golden period" in NS where you could send other Apps audio into NS's sampler via Audiobus - but the version of Audiobus that installs (and the earliest i have the .IPA for I think) is 1.0.2.6 and doesnt work.

Not really a surprise to be honest - I never used iOS5 - I came in on my original devices with iOS6 and upgraded from there. So I dont think this will ever work - so I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm correct with my assessment (and use the time I would spend messing with an iPad1 and iOS5 getting an ancient version of Audiobus working, upgrading an iPad Mini2 to iOS 12 ready for NS instead :-) ).

Thank you

AB is not going to be the problem, it's much more the limited CPU resources.
    You'd have to stick with very efficient, older synths...
    I'd use it only with NS1 and sample synths from your more modern iDevice.
    iPad 1 and NS1 make a great sampling workstation a la MPC but much more fun to use.
    Got it fixed in an Alesis io/Dock, works great.
    Even Cubasis (older version) works great on iPad 1 as long as you're using audio and MIDI tracks without synths.

• @kitejan you generally want a recording or sampling app in the output slot, in my case Audioshare, Beatmaker 2, Loopy HD, Multitrack DAW, SamplR, SampleWiz, Werkbench, BeatTwirl show up as candidates.
    Tbh the iPad One has a slightly different touch response than later models, which is cool and it's way off flogging a dead horse.
    You don't want CPU intense apps on it, but most sample based stuff runs with nice performance.

• Love my iPad one. As @Telefunky mentions the sample based stuff runs very well (including BeatMaker 2, very stable...) also a place were many otherwise deprecated items live on (Electrify! Alchemy! Etc!)

• Genome Midi sequencer v1.1.3 runs perfectly on iOS 5.1.1.
    Lemur, TBMidiStuff, TouchOSC too.

• Did you really have to go back that far in time?
    Wouldn’t an iPad 2 do this, but better?
    AB3 runs on my iPad 2 now, since an update a few versions back.

• edited December 2018

Yes, in many cases the iPad-2 is the better choice (also dead cheap today) because it runs IOS-9 and all that network stuff not existing in IOS-5.
    But kitejan aquired the iPad One for a 'very low price', probably an offer too good to refuse ;)
    The iPad-2 got more juice than it's predecessor, yet it's fairly weak to run multiple high quality audio apps simultanously.
    The low price makes it a valid option as a dedicated surface for certain apps/controllers, though.