Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Performance when loading from preset

This discussion was created from comments split from: Audiobus MIDI Learn is here!.

Comments

• Oh man, I was really, really hoping this would work. This takes live MIDI control in iOS to whole new levels. As far as the new MIDI features go, just incredible. Honestly it is a dream come true.

Unfortunately, I'm not able to use Audiobus in a stable way unless I build a session from a blank state. As soon as I try loading from a preset, the CPU % at the top right shoots WAY, WAY up. I've experimented with eliminating apps/audio units, opening it/Audiobus up in different orders, closing everything and restarting the iPad and trying again, airplane mode, double checking buffer sizes in all apps... etc.

It's so weird because, again, if I start the session from a blank slate, I can load up way, way more. Something's buggin'. Sorry to be slightly off topic here. For my purposes (using my iPad as a live music making instrument), Audiobus's new MIDI features would be a game changer for sure, if not for Audiobus itself being unusable. :(

Ah! Man, I wanted this to work so badly.

• Strange. @cnsg_music , you said you've done some experiments with eliminating apps and such: what did you find? Does even one AU, say, still do this for you? I just tried it with Model15 on my iPhone X and couldn't reproduce; it'd be helpful to have more data so I can investigate more.

• (Moved from other topic)

Is it actually acting up (I.e.getting crackles), or just showing high CPU usage? CPU metering can be misleading on iOS. If audio isn’t actually being affected, you can basically ignore it.

What model of iPad and iOS version?

This is not happening to me on iPad Air 2, latest iOS.

• Also, to be more precise: what would be ideal for me is a series of steps, as simple as possible (from a newly launched app) to reproduce the issue you describe.

• Hey guys! Sorry because I know it was off-topic. And for the record, I'm a huge MIDI nerd and I think the MIDI implementation is just incredible. Now I'm trying (and very much hoping) to get it to work with my set up. I appreciate you creating this new thread for this and I'm going to make a short video, attempt to implement the scientific method as much as possible, and provide you guys the requested info in my next comment.

• Thanks! Good luck

• @wim said:
    Is it actually acting up (I.e.getting crackles), or just showing high CPU usage? CPU metering can be misleading on iOS. If audio isn’t actually being affected, you can basically ignore it.

I just end up with no audio

What model of iPad and iOS version?

iPad 2018 9.7" with iOS 12.0.1

@Michael said:
    what did you find? Does even one AU, say, still do this for you?

Eliminating a few AUs that seemed more problematic than others seemed to make the loading slightly more stable (demonstrated in the video below.) Before eliminating for example Fly Tape and iSEM, apps that would launch wouldn't have the Audiobus tab come out.

Doing it with a single AU doesn't cause any problems at all.

So below is my video demonstrating the problem. Please note, if I build this set up from the ground up, I end up with a much smaller CPU load % in the top right and I am able to produce sound, etc -- everything works fine. I forgot to demonstrate at the start of the video but the session I have open at the beginning works perfectly. In fact, I'm able to push it way more and include Fly Tape, iSEM, and even Gadget and M3000! And really, it works! No crackles or even messed up Ableton Link start/stop, timing etc.

Problem is when loading a previously saved session. CPU spikes extremely high and doesn't seem to come down even after 15 min of writing this comment and uploading the video below. No sound is produced and it doesn't seem everything is loading smoothly in general.

Please let me know if I can be more helpful in any way. I've got the camera set up now so making a video won't be too difficult. (Side note: for some reason my screen capture isn't working so please excuse the poor quality recording.)

Video:

• A followup: DAW Cassette seemed to be adding a lot to the CPU when loading from preset. Eliminating it has brought down the CPU usage significantly.

• @cnsg_music said:
    A followup: DAW Cassette seemed to be adding a lot to the CPU when loading from preset. Eliminating it has brought down the CPU usage significantly.

Interesting; what happens if you disable preset state saving in the system settings Audiobus section?

• edited December 2018

@Michael Looks like disabling preset state saving the the system settings does not eliminate the problem. DAW Cassette included in the session loading from preset causes the same problem as before. 250%+ CPU indicator.

• @cnsg_music said:
    @Michael Looks like disabling preset state saving the the system settings does not eliminate the problem. DAW Cassette included in the session loading from preset causes the same problem as before. 250%+ CPU indicator.

Okay, at least we can rule that out. Does DAW Cassette do it on it's own, in a session by itself?

• @cnsg_music said:
    A followup: DAW Cassette seemed to be adding a lot to the CPU when loading from preset. Eliminating it has brought down the CPU usage significantly.

Oh: and just to clarify...does removing that app solve the problem entirely? Or just a little bit?

• @Michael said:

@cnsg_music said:

Okay, at least we can rule that out. Does DAW Cassette do it on it's own, in a session by itself?

Doesn't seem like it's a problem when I load a preset with only multiple instances of DAW Cassette AUv3s saved in the effects phase.

@Michael said:

@cnsg_music said:

Oh: and just to clarify...does removing that app solve the problem entirely? Or just a little bit?

Yes, it seems removing DAW Cassette then saving and loading the preset without DAW Cassette AUv3s included fixes the problem. Adding them in after everything has loaded seems to be okay. It looks like DAW Cassette's at fault here, but my workaround isn't too out of the way, so it should be okay.

Thanks! Not sure if any info I've provided is of any help, but please let me know if you need to know anything else.

• Great, thanks for that! I’ve contacted the developer to let them know.