Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

LINK via Lightning cable?

I know this discussion has come up a bunch, but I'm left still looking for this simple answer.

Using a lightning cable with CCK to connect two iOS devices -- will Link work?

Ableton's website says "lightning cables support network data transfer" for the purpose of using Link without Wifi. Additionally some users here have said they've supposedly succeeded in this.

I've tried this with zero success. Here was my simple set up: iPad < CCK < Lightning cable > iPhone

Has anyone gotten this to work? I'm trying to find a way to use Link without Wifi and without the use of ethernet cable, network switch, private router, etc

Comments

• edited December 2018

Have you tried the 'Personal Hotspot' on your iPhone?
    Take a look at Section 3: https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/209072789-Link-linking-devices-and-apps
    Then take a look at: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204023

I don't have an iPhone so cannot test it, although I could connect my iPad to my Android's hotspot. It's an ad-hoc network (local device-to-device network), but you should be able to, in addition, get a 'regular' WiFi connection, so for example, I could surf the net on my iPad (not a cellular model iPad) using my Android phone's cellular data. You'd turn off Personal Hotspot when you're done so that you don't get cellular overcharges if, for example, auto-updates is enabled, watching lots of videos, etc.

• edited December 2018

With no WiFi and my Lenovo Laptop, all I have to do if I want to use Link between it and my iPhone is to share iPhone connection (cellular hotspot) with the laptop, works both wireless and wired though lightning cable. I suppose you could easily share your iPhone connection with your iPad wirelessly too, Link will work and no need for WIFI network (although this needs a cellular network, so I don’t know if this works in the middle of the desert!). Just set a password for this in settings, then you can enable/disable it quickly here:

• edited December 2018

Cabling needs to be
    IPad >> CCK >> USB ethernet >><< USB ethernet << CCK << iPhone.
    There are some lightning to ethernet adapters quite cheap on Ebay and so on, those would simplify the wiring a lot.

• @Turntablist Are you familiar with how much power this would require? I'm using an unpowered 4-port USB hub to connect my 4 controllers and I'm wondering if connecting an ethernet cable in addition to this would require too much power.

I found this which could replace my CCK for this purpose. You think this could work?

• edited December 2018

@ocelot @Janosax I would love to experiment with making my iPhone into a hotspot, but unfortunately that would require me to change my data plan. I actually would be open to this, but I still want the assurance that I could use Link across two devices in the middle of the desert! Janosax, are you sure your iPhone actually needs to be connected to a cellular network for it to Link to another device? I know others can accomplish this with portable routers that are set up to connect other devices without internet connectivity.

• edited December 2018

@cnsg_music said:
    @ocelot @Janosax I would love to experiment with making my iPhone into a hotspot, but unfortunately that would require me to change my data plan. I actually would be open to this, but I still want the assurance that I could use Link across two devices in the middle of the desert! Janosax, are you sure your iPhone actually needs to be connected to a cellular network for it to Link to another device? I know others can accomplish this with portable routers that are set up to connect other devices without internet connectivity.

You need your cellular data to be enabled on your iPhone or you can’t enable the hotspot. But I had not tested it yet in a spot where there is no cellular network to be sure it can really work anywhere.

• I believe it needs a cellular network. Once I wanted to connect iPad and iPhone for a stop-motion app where the iPhone acted as a camera, and couldn't create a hotspot. I had to enable cellular network, and then it worked well.

• The big question being: is it able with cellular data enabled but no cellular signal to create a cellular hotspot.

• @Janosax said:
    The big question being: is it able with cellular data enabled but no cellular signal to create a cellular hotspot.

Exactly!

• edited December 2018

from what I remember, a consistent signal from the provider was necessary to keep the connection between iPhone and iPad.

• Thanks everyone. I opted just to go with an ethernet setup. Works pretty well!

• @cnsg_music said:
    Thanks everyone. I opted just to go with an ethernet setup. Works pretty well!

@cnsg_music Just to be clear... you are using a Lightning to ethernet adapter on iPad/iPhone #1, then ethernet cable from that into an identical adapter on iPad/iPhone #2, correct?

• @MarkR said:

@cnsg_music said:

@cnsg_music Just to be clear... you are using a Lightning to ethernet adapter on iPad/iPhone #1, then ethernet cable from that into an identical adapter on iPad/iPhone #2, correct?

Yeah, that is the set up I have working now. Would still be open one day to trying to use a hot spot if that is more stable, but I want to be able to use it in areas with limited AT&T coverage (like a friend's basement for band practice.) I'll just have to test this out with a friend's device someday.

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@cnsg_music said:

@MarkR said:

@cnsg_music said:

Yeah, that is the set up I have working now. Would still be open one day to trying to use a hot spot if that is more stable, but I want to be able to use it in areas with limited AT&T coverage (like a friend's basement for band practice.) I'll just have to test this out with a friend's device someday.

Wireless is never going to be as stable, nor as fast as wire.

• @wim But cleaner! And less prone to 3rd party CCK (with ethernet input) overheating and crapping out on you! :lol:

• Can someone help me understand this please? ... It seems that Ableton says it's possible to use link without WIFI, only using the lightning cable, say from iPad to Macbook.

I contacted Ableton, they said it does work, and to check my firewall, etc., but I haven't been able to get it to work (wifi isn't an option at this time unfortunately...)

If anyone has the working steps for this, please post them here....

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003279779-Using-Link-without-an-active-internet-connection

• @dj8 said:
    Can someone help me understand this please? ... It seems that Ableton says it's possible to use link without WIFI, only using the lightning cable, say from iPad to Macbook.

I contacted Ableton, they said it does work, and to check my firewall, etc., but I haven't been able to get it to work (wifi isn't an option at this time unfortunately...)

If anyone has the working steps for this, please post them here....

https://help.ableton.com/hc/en-us/articles/360003279779-Using-Link-without-an-active-internet-connection

Directions on this page about establishing a network connection between a Mac and iOS device via usb/lightning cable
    https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/iphone-ipad-connect-mac-internet-mchl7594e36f/mac

• wimwim
    edited July 2021

Woah! I didn't know Link over Lightning cable was possible, but it is. B)

I just tried it with my iPhone in Airplane Mode, and it works!

All I did was put the iPhone into Airplane Mode, plug the Lightning - USB A cable in to my Mac, fire up Ableton Live, and enable Link. Worked perfectly.

@dj8 - what steps have you taken?

• wimwim
    edited July 2021

... and, then I enabled iDAM and it stopped working. I'm guessing that's the issue?

(If you enable iDAM, even after disabling it, Link doesn't work over Lightning until you exit Live and re-enter. [edit] ... exiting and re-entering Audiobus also got it working again.)

• thanks for the feedback/help...

@wim, I followed your steps but I just get the blue Link button in Ableton and my iPad doesn't show up. (I first enabled IDAM and opened AUM on iPad.). Neither side is showing any connection... They're connected w/ Lightning cable direct to Macbook. I contacted Ableton a while back about this. They thought it might be my Firewall, but when I follow these steps and disable it, they still don't connect.. Man I want to get this working!

@espiegel123 thank you for the info, trying to use it with no internet connection at all though... Not even hotspot...

It sounds like @wim has it working w no internet, direct connection between iPad/iPhone to Mac...

Any ideas on what is blocking my connection/how to I can fix it?

• @dj8 said:
    thanks for the feedback/help...

@wim, I followed your steps but I just get the blue Link button in Ableton and my iPad doesn't show up. (I first enabled IDAM and opened AUM on iPad.). Neither side is showing any connection... They're connected w/ Lightning cable direct to Macbook. I contacted Ableton a while back about this. They thought it might be my Firewall, but when I follow these steps and disable it, they still don't connect.. Man I want to get this working!

@espiegel123 thank you for the info, trying to use it with no internet connection at all though... Not even hotspot...

It sounds like @wim has it working w no internet, direct connection between iPad/iPhone to Mac...

Have you tried making the adhoc connection on the mac and connecting the phone to it?
    I havent had any issues this way.

• wimwim
    edited July 2021

@dj8 said:

@wim, I followed your steps but I just get the blue Link button in Ableton and my iPad doesn't show up. (I first enabled IDAM and opened AUM on iPad.) ...

iDAM must be disabled. It doesn't work if iDAM is enabled.

First disable iDAM, then start Live, or exit and restart Live if it's already running.

• @AlmostAnonymous said:

@dj8 said:

Have you tried making the adhoc connection on the mac and connecting the phone to it?
    I havent had any issues this way.

@AlmostAnonymous, this is usually wi-fi though. Is this possible ethernet only?

• @wim said:

@dj8 said:

@wim, I followed your steps but I just get the blue Link button in Ableton and my iPad doesn't show up. (I first enabled IDAM and opened AUM on iPad.) ...

First disable iDAM, then start Live, or exit and restart Live if it's already running.

@wim, I tried this. I'm feeling like the only kid that can't hit the ball in the game... Still only getting the Blue link button, no connections...

I'm moving towards just getting a high security wifi router and/or waiting till I soon get a newer computer. I really can't wait to get the sync going w/ my ios stuff and Ableton... :'(

• @dj8 said:

@wim said:

@dj8 said:

@wim, I tried this. I'm feeling like the only kid that can't hit the ball in the game... Still only getting the Blue link button, no connections...

I'm moving towards just getting a high security wifi router and/or waiting till I soon get a newer computer. I really can't wait to get the sync going w/ my ios stuff and Ableton... :'(

You can establish a network connection between the Mac and iPad with a USB-Lightning connector by using this tip:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=sonobus&s[]=sonobus#mac-to-ipadiphone_fast_connections

You might see if that enables you get Link working in this situation.

• wimwim
    edited July 2021

@dj8 said:

@wim said:

@dj8 said:

You may want to consider Ethernet. Link should work over that.

USB or Lightning Ethernet adapters for iOS are fairly inexpensive. If your Mac has an Ethernet port you can probably connect directly. You could possibly need to use a crossover cable or an ethernet switch, but I don't think so. Most modern ethernet devices can sense a direct connect.

• @espiegel123 said:

You can establish a network connection between the Mac and iPad with a USB-Lightning connector by using this tip:
    https://wiki.audiob.us/doku.php?id=sonobus&s[]=sonobus#mac-to-ipadiphone_fast_connections

Bam! That worked for me, thank you!

• This is slightly different then what you are speaking about but this app could help.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/link-to-midi/id1066216595

• @wim said:

@dj8 said:

@wim said:

@dj8 said:

You may want to consider Ethernet. Link should work over that.

USB or Lightning Ethernet adapters for iOS are fairly inexpensive. If your Mac has an Ethernet port you can probably connect directly. You could possibly need to use a crossover cable or an ethernet switch, but I don't think so. Most modern ethernet devices can sense a direct connect.

I tried this, but couldn't get it to work. I have some security software running, maybe that's the issue. Tried to bypass all of it to try this and the direct lightning connection out, but can't get it to work.

I think I'm going to cut my losses and try it with either secure wifi and/or new equipment...

• @Sawiton said:

@espiegel123 said:

Bam! That worked for me, thank you!

Yeah, I tried this too. Only thing I can think is my security software is interfering, as Ableton suggested... Should be an easy way to just connect and sync time w/ ios to Macs , IMHO... Like plug and play level easy...

I've written Apple and asked for this a few times so far...