Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

EG WaveSHAPER - Out now! Official thread

The wait is over, EG WaveSHAPER is available right now on the Store!
https://app.elliottgarage.com/egwaveshaperAB

Highlights:

• Hybrid Wavetable/Waveshaping engine
  • Draw your wavetable oscillator with your finger
  • 100+ presets (Pad, Lead, Bass and Fx)
  • 30+ builtin waveforms to use and modify
  • 2 LFOs and 2 ENVs assignable to any parameter
  • FX: Reverb, Delay and EG Crush
  • Detune osc to create huge unison sounds
  • FM and Noise with configurble FM Ratio and Noise eq
  • VCF and Reso filters
  • Complete presets management with export and share
  • Core MIDI: MIDI in, MIDI CC, MIDI channel pressure
  • AU3 with full knobs parameters automation
  • Universal for iPad & iPhone

Comments

• @ElliottGarage said:r

@haulin_notes sure, eventually I could add another wheel or an option to disable the spring effect

Thanks! Muchos gracias! 🎄😊
    (replied from other thread)

• Not to knock the developer over a simple marketing tagline, but "the first synthesizer that lets you create your sound with a finger"? This may be the most polished version of that, but I am almost certain it is not the first. Pretty sure PixelWave was based on this, and I thought one of the Virsyn apps (Addictive?) let you do it, as well as some of the various chiptune synths.

Anyway, $11.99 U.S. - looks like a nice release. His x0x drum machines were pretty well-designed and he's kept up with the times well in terms of AU support, etc. Will take a hard look at this one.

• @StormJH1 maybe it's the second or the third, but I don't think this actually changes the value of an app :) It's a simple tagline, not so important. Please focus on the features list :)

BTW from what I've seen Addictive pro let you work on the harmonic content (frequency domain) of the waveform, while in my app you can actually work on the waveshape of the oscillator in the time domain. Never heard of PixelWave honestly :)

Thanks for you nice words on my drum machines :)

• @ElliottGarage ill pick this up next week. if its anything like egsy01 in terms of sound quality i will be pleased. i like your new logo as well. the interface on this new synth looks great.

• Ist is an AU only?
    I ask because it apparently has no AudioBus support :o

• edited December 2018

thanks @sysexual :)

@tja yes AU3 only. I cannot see so much need for AB since you can host AU3 in Audiobus. Also I find AU3 the more flexible and clear standard to use

• edited December 2018

I like the color coded envelope/modulation display where colors match their corresponding knob - instant overview about the scene B)
    ... and a big thumbs up for setting IOS 9 as entry :+1:

• Had to get this - broke my rule. I consider this a down payment on the Linn AUv3 to come!

• edited December 2018

ahaha thanks @kinkujin ... and don't worry after christmas I'll come back to my drum machines too :)

• btw — it’s great. Nice presets! Beautiful UI. Great work ... loving it so far.

• I wasn’t going to get this. Pretty busy with NS2. But I gave in and glad I did. Great sound and unique approach.

• I watched the first video. Four minutes of talking, not a single "this is what it sounds like".

• edited December 2018

ahaha you're right @Jocphone but it's because before that video I released other 3 videos showing only how it sounds (btw the first video in this thread is also showing the sound :D)
    Anyway here they are

• thanks @kinkujin and @anickt. It's really motivating receiving such good reviews :)

• @ElliottGarage said:
    ahaha you're right @Jocphone but it's because before that video I released other 3 videos showing only how it sounds (btw the first video in this thread is also showing the sound :D)
    Anyway here they are

Ah ok I picked the one I would appreciate least. Sorry it's late. Props for putting in all this work. Really slick looking interface.

• As always, I was curious and bought the app yesterday.

I like the GUI very much. I like the graphical implementation of the app. The possibility to change waveforms, lFOs and envelopes inside a graphical interface is nice and useful. I also like that I can zoom the knobs.

Well done @ElliottGarage ! 👍

After a few minutes playing around I got a crackle fest after I assigned a LP filter to the mod wheel. I also noticed crackles while turning some parameters. This happens even in standalone use with no other apps open after a new start of the iPad Pro 10.5. So i was not very happy with it.

But the biggest disappointment for me personally are the sounds of the WaveSHAPER.
    The factory content doesn’t provide me useful sounds except one from @RedSkyLullaby .
    Everything sounds to much cold and digital for me. If I had a challenge to build a track just from the build in sounds I would failed. Sure I can create some noise and experimental stuff but no inspiring music what is nice in my ears.

I don’t know maybe it’s possible to create some nice sounding patches with the WaveSHAPER but I’m afraid my skills to do sounddesign are not enough to realize nice patches .

I will try my best in the next few hours to find out more. Maybe the Synth will surprise me in a positive way.

But I’m afraid that I will return the Synth to the AppStore, it would be the first Synth ever when I ask for a refund for it.

These are just personal thoughts, I’m sure some other friends here will enjoy WaveSHAPER! 😎

• @chandroji said:
    As always, I was curious and bought the app yesterday.

I like the GUI very much. I like the graphical implementation of the app. The possibility to change waveforms, lFOs and envelopes inside a graphical interface is nice and useful. I also like that I can zoom the knobs.

After a few minutes playing around I got a crackle fest after I assigned a LP filter to the mod wheel. I also noticed crackles while turning some parameters. This happens even in standalone use with no other apps open after a new start of the iPad Pro 10.5. So i was not very happy with it.

But the biggest disappointment for me personally are the sounds of the WaveSHAPER.
    The factory content doesn’t provide me useful sounds except one from @RedSkyLullaby .
    Everything sounds to much cold and digital for me. If I had a challenge to build a track just from the build in sounds I would failed. Sure I can create some noise and experimental stuff but no inspiring music what is nice in my ears.

I don’t know maybe it’s possible to create some nice sounding patches with the WaveSHAPER but I’m afraid my skills to do sounddesign are not enough to realize nice patches .

I will try my best in the next few hours to find out more. Maybe the Synth will surprise me in a positive way.

But I’m afraid that I will return the Synth to the AppStore, it would be the first Synth ever when I ask for a refund for it.

These are just personal thoughts, I’m sure some other friends here will enjoy WaveSHAPER! 😎

I'd recommend digging into the modulation options before doing that - they're really deep, and with the ability to draw the waveforms offer something really unique.

I don't think the presets do it justice to be honest, you can get some really good, evolving sounds by experimenting with the modulation stuff.

• @chandroji said:

chandroji... i thought that at first!! using in stand alone there are various horrid distortions.. and it doesn’t sound so good BUT as soon as i put it in cubasis as an au all that disappeared and it was sounding smooth and nice ( until i REALLY went crazy :]. )
    so i think it is a bug in stand alone.. seems similar to kia aras gui problem from a while back , it gets very hot in stand alone on a 10.5 inch pro too!
    but i think you are wrong to dismiss it, as Monzo has already said ...
    I have more to say about this plug in ,, but no time right now... will come back with some full on feedback for mr Garage soonish..

• I would like to get an explanation of the filter section. Reso Freq and Reso Q works in a way, I dońt figure out...🤔

• Bug in combination with AB3:
    Loaded as AU in AB3, go in settings, leave settings, black screen.
    On iPad and iPad pro.

• thanks all for the feedback.
    The synth offers the possibility for such crazy modulation that if not controlled may create really bizzare sounds.
    Also the with waveshaping is really easy to destroy in few second a mellow sound of a sine wave into raw and agrressive distortion :)
    When I was creating some presets, I've also tended to overdo things, resulting in intriguing but maybe non musical sounds.
    So I suggest you to try using the modulation and the fx in a subtle way, trying to avoid extreme changes :)
    I think you can easily create mellow and nice pads with little effort.

@chandroji and @RockySmalls AU3 and standalone use the same engine, could you please try if distortion is due to some audio clipping?So pelase try decreasing the main volume or the volumes of the single oscillators.
    Also consider that extreme jump in modulation can create discontinuity on the output, and it will result in little glitches (for example if you drastically change LFO from 0 to 1 or pan from L to R and so on...so basically you have total control on the oscillators and the modulations, but you need to be careful too :D
    Eventually you can save the sound as preset and send it to [email protected] so I can check it out.

@Satie Reso Freq control the frequency of the filter while Q the range of frequencies involved. Hope this will explain the behaviour. Thanks for the bug reported, I'm doing a little update in the next days fixing this and other little things (like AU3 parameters automation on BeatMaker3 and NanoStudio2)

• @RockySmalls said:

@chandroji said:

chandroji... i thought that at first!! using in stand alone there are various horrid distortions.. and it doesn’t sound so good BUT as soon as i put it in cubasis as an au all that disappeared and it was sounding smooth and nice ( until i REALLY went crazy :]. )
    so i think it is a bug in stand alone.. seems similar to kia aras gui problem from a while back , it gets very hot in stand alone on a 10.5 inch pro too!
    but i think you are wrong to dismiss it, as Monzo has already said ...
    I have more to say about this plug in ,, but no time right now... will come back with some full on feedback for mr Garage soonish..

I get random distortion/garbled sound using the AU in apeMatrix...pretty much constantly. Disappointed so far, but I'll hold out to see if it's fixed soon.

• @ElliottGarage said:
    thanks all for the feedback.
    The synth offers the possibility for such crazy modulation that if not controlled may create really bizzare sounds.

Well, thats partly why I'm interested in and it may well be one of the apps I get for Christmas :)

To make things even 'crazier' is there a way to control the start point/phase of the wave-table using the lfo/envelope? (Think of this as 'x-axis scrolling/panning/rotation' of the wave-table which would add some nice animation to the sound, that is if the wave-table is treated as a 'sample/audio buffer').

• @ElliottGarage said:

@Satie Reso Freq control the frequency of the filter while Q the range of frequencies involved. Hope this will explain the behaviour. Thanks for the bug reported, I'm doing a little update in the next days fixing this and other little things (like AU3 parameters automation on BeatMaker3 and NanoStudio2)

Thanks so far. If this is so - what does VCF and VCF Q?

• edited December 2018

@ElliottGarage said:
    thanks all for the feedback.
    Also the with waveshaping is really easy to destroy in few second a mellow sound of a sine wave into raw and agrressive distortion :)
    When I was creating some presets, I've also tended to overdo things, resulting in intriguing but maybe non musical sounds.
    So I suggest you to try using the modulation and the fx in a subtle way, trying to avoid extreme changes :)
    I think you can easily create mellow and nice pads with little effort.

@chandroji and @RockySmalls AU3 and standalone use the same engine, could you please try if distortion is due to some audio clipping?So pelase try decreasing the main volume or the volumes of the single oscillators.
    Also consider that extreme jump in modulation can create discontinuity on the output, and it will result in little glitches (for example if you drastically change LFO from 0 to 1 or pan from L to R and so on...so basically you have total control on the oscillators and the modulations, but you need to be careful too :D
    Eventually you can save the sound as preset and send it to [email protected] so I can check it out.

One thing I found is that when a sine wave is chosen as the Sub the level needs to be pulled back or it will distort. It may be that level is different in different patches but I first noticed it in the JEC Init patch I believe. A low frequency sine wave can easily distort on any synth.

For those of you questioning the sound, take a moment to pull back on some of the settings. Check through the presets There are a few sweet tones there which shows me it can be done. I think the presets tend toward a little more “harsh” direction because they can. But they don’t have to.

One thing I noticed that can be confusing is some of the settings can be different than what is shown on the screen. For instance a sine wave might be shown but when I tap on it a different waveform is what’s actually selected.

Overall I call it a winner and I love having all parameters on one screen. EG’s approach is unique and fun IMHO.

I was a little confused by the filter section too. It seems that each row applies to a different sound source. Can you clarify @ElliottGarage ?

• edited December 2018

@ElliottGarage
    WaveSHAPER AU will crash after opening the settings (in AUM or Cubasis)!
    iPad Pro 10.5, IOS 12.1.1

@MonzoPro and @RockySmalls
    Thanks a lot for suggestions and feedback! I’m still trying to learn more. 😊

• @chandroji said:
    @ElliottGarage

it’s true, i forgot to mention that bit.. though I've only tested in cubasis, stand alone is fine but just opening settings not changing anything then closing them crashes to black screen plug in.. you have to close cubasis from home screen and reopen to get ui back..

can’t believe i’ve only just discovered the tap on knob to get fine tune wheel! eeerrrrrrrrrrrr!

• @RockySmalls said:

@chandroji said:
    @ElliottGarage

it’s true, i forgot to mention that bit.. though I've only tested in cubasis, stand alone is fine but just opening settings not changing anything then closing them crashes to black screen plug in.. you have to close cubasis from home screen and reopen to get ui back..

can’t believe i’ve only just discovered the tap on knob to get fine tune wheel! eeerrrrrrrrrrrr!

In NS2 opening and then closing Settings causes it to freeze at “Loading WaveSHAPER Editor”. If you make a change in Settings it does not freeze when closed but it appears that the change does not stick. @ElliottGarage