Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Volt not responding to automation in NS2

Anyone else finding this?

It should work (works with all other AU instruments) by just assigning the 10 NanoStudio 2 macros to 10 Volt parameters and then automating via the knobs and/or automation tracks.

But with Volt, even though it’s parameters appear to be published and the 10 macros are already pre-assigned to 10 parameters (eg Noise), turning the knobs does nothing.

It’s a shame because I’ve worked out a way to do some pseudo MPE stuff in NanoStudio2 I think (but this needs normal automation to work):

• Set up 5 tracks (1 with Volt as an AU, the other 4 as external midi tracks) [could be more than 4 tracks but I generally find 4 voice polyphony to be enough for a lot of MPE stuff]
  • Have the 4 tracks each use a ‘midi send’ to send their midi to the Volt AU track on channels 2-5 respectively
  • Set each of those 4 tracks to record midi in from your MPE controller on channels 2-5 respectively and set to ‘always record midi’
  • Set your MPE controller not to use the full 16 channels but just use channels 2-5 (channel 1 is reserved for non-per-voice general midi CC’s)
  • Set Volt to be MPE enabled.

I’ve already tried this set up with Volt hosted externally in AUM and it works (kind of). It works for per note keyboard y-axis slide (sent on midi cc 74). However not for ‘pressure’ because NanoStudio 2 has no way to record aftertouch/pressure messages, and not for pitch bend because NanoStudio 2 doesn’t seem to register big pitch bend values of 24 (or 48 - I forget which it is that MPE uses).

I still really like increased expressiveness though (a different morphing sound on each of the 4 voices of a chord or an Arp).

So it would be great to be able to get this set up and working as Volt as an AU inside NS2. But alas, currently automation of any Volt parameters isn’t working.

Comments

• wimwim
    edited December 2018

@Matt_Fletcher_2000, confirmed. You should report this over on their forum so it’ll get some attention.

[edit] and let @ka010 know.

• Hmm, haven't heard from anyone having issues with NS2 but I didn't have a chance to check it out myself yet. I'll give this a try when I can find some time.

• @ka010 said:
    Hmm, haven't heard from anyone having issues with NS2 but I didn't have a chance to check it out myself yet. I'll give this a try when I can find some time.

I’m pretty sure it’s a Volt issue to be honest. Because almost all other AUs work fine in this regard inside NS2. (But I’m no expert!)

• SpaceCraft has the same problem actually. And the dev is looking into it he says.

• @Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@ka010 said:
    Hmm, haven't heard from anyone having issues with NS2 but I didn't have a chance to check it out myself yet. I'll give this a try when I can find some time.

I’m pretty sure it’s a Volt issue to be honest. Because almost all other AUs work fine in this regard inside NS2. (But I’m no expert!)

What if you use a different host? I don't really see why this would be working in one but not the other, if it's related to the plugin that is.

• @ka010 said:

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 said:

@ka010 said:

What if you use a different host? I don't really see why this would be working in one but not the other, if it's related to the plugin that is.

I tried in AUM and it indeed works in AUM. You can access and control Volt’s AU cc parameters. I believe you can also with SpaceCraft.

But in NS2 it’s no dice.

However most AU instruments in NS2 do work for AU automation (moog apps, iceworks apps, Quanta etc etc) Just not Volt or Spacecraft.

So something isn’t working somewhere.

• Alright then, I'll try to find some time to investigate over the weekend.

• What if you turn MPE off in Volt or Spacecraft?
    I see it screws up your workflow for what you are trying to do, but if you turn MPE off do these apps respond to automation?

• I think this is the same issue SC has with cubasis automation. I've found a solution that works for cubasis but I need to find some time to properly implement it without breaking anything. I'll test on NS2 too. Had to take a break from SC Dev due to work getting crazy over the last couple of monthe. Bare with me guys :)

• @CracklePot said:
    What if you turn MPE off in Volt or Spacecraft?
    I see it screws up your workflow for what you are trying to do, but if you turn MPE off do these apps respond to automation?

Pretty sure that it still doesnt automate in NS2 even if you switch off MPE.

• @deltaVaudio said:
    I think this is the same issue SC has with cubasis automation. I've found a solution that works for cubasis but I need to find some time to properly implement it without breaking anything. I'll test on NS2 too. Had to take a break from SC Dev due to work getting crazy over the last couple of monthe. Bare with me guys :)

Much appreciated.

Volt and Spacecraft are two of my absolutely favourite AU - otherwise I wouldn’t be moaning :)

• @ka010 said:
    Alright then, I'll try to find some time to investigate over the weekend.

Thanks.

• Have posted this issue on the NS2 forum too. In case there’s anything Matt can do about it his end.

• edited December 2018

@ka010 said:
    Alright then, I'll try to find some time to investigate over the weekend.

Also, might be related, I can’t get the ‘cutoff’ dial to move at all when Volt is hosted in NS2. Very strange. But it’s just completely disabled for some reason!

• I'm pretty sure this issue is on SC side

• @deltaVaudio you are SC dev ?

• cool, so i will let know Matt that he doesn't need to do any investigation related to this issue for now .. thanks !

• @dendy said:
    cool, so i will let know Matt that he doesn't need to do any investigation related to this issue for now .. thanks !

No way man. We need all hands on deck!
    ;)

• edited December 2018

Elliot Garage synth was apparently having the same problem (automation not working in NS2) - but an update to Elliot Garage has now fixed this.

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/311/bug-automation-of-volt-synth-as-an-au-maybe-some-other-aus-have-this-issue-too#latest

Volt and Spacecraft are two of my absolutely favourite AU - otherwise I wouldn’t be moaning :)

@Matt_Fletcher_2000 parameter automation of spacecraft in NS2 seems to be fixed in the latest build on testflight.

Strangely, only a subset of the parameters are automatable in cubasis, I'll need to contact the dev about that...

Elliot Garage synth was apparently having the same problem (automation not working in NS2) - but an update to Elliot Garage has now fixed this.

https://www.blipinteractive.co.uk/community/index.php?p=/discussion/311/bug-automation-of-volt-synth-as-an-au-maybe-some-other-aus-have-this-issue-too#latest

So, I finally got around to looking into this, turns out it was n issue with Volt. It's fixed in the latest beta, anyone waiting for the fix let me know and I'll be happy to send an invite. Official update to v1.4 should be out later this month as well.