Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

2018 BATTLE OF THE DAWS!!

Comments

• @RUST( i )K said:

@theconnactic said:
    Auria Pro, even for MIDI, and Garageband for the Drummer and smart instruments.

I would pay $50 for Garageband as an input instrument/generator.....

Yeah, me too!

• I am puzzled that Auria Pro isn't considered a DAW. It had some cool MIDI features that some others don't. I would not say that most people only use it for mastering. Many use it for MIDI, too.

• I might say NS2 when I understand it enough. Meanwhile... GADGET!!

• Korg Electribe Wave. Best stand alone sound engine since Auxy. And who needs a timeline or song mode when you have a pattern launcher with JUMP mode

• Whichever one has the best knobs.

• @Telstar5 said:

@ksound said:
    Stagelight. It’s the only iOS DAW I know of that allows precise off-grid note placement and editing.

@ksound : What does that mean exactly? Is it as in play without quantizing/free recoding? Not sure what you mean there.

What I'm talking about is more for editing drums/notes after recording. I've seen it referred to as groove shifting, microtiming, push/pull and more, but the premise is that instead of keeping notes locked to the grid, you can nudge individual or grouped notes a little before or after the grid. There are many programs that allow you to turn off the grid and manually slide items off the grid, but just a few that allow this to be done with precision. Stagelight has push/pull automation for drums and a 'Move' dial for note editing. iSpark has a concept similar to Stagelight's automation lane, and GrooveRider has a 'Time Shift' parameter in its edit section. The nice thing about these programs is you can get your note position back to where it started or quickly see amounts of groove to apply to other notes. Precise sloppiness is what I mean. It doesn't seem to be a big enough draw for most developers to include it, but I can't live without it.

If I'm not making sense, this thread may explain it better: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28172/the-problem-with-pattern-sequence-drum-machines-implicit-quantization/p1

• Cubasis, workflow unparalleled, no issue with any inter app/audio unit, recording external analog synths/guitar/whatever works as well as anything I’ve used. Also, other daws I’ve tried on iOS just like don’t put the UI controls in the right places, or at least that’s how it feels to me. Cubasis setup just feels natural, unclunky.

• edited December 2018

@ksound : You made perfect sense indeed.. Thanks for the explanation and the link !👍😀

• @ksound said:

@Telstar5 said:

@ksound said:
    Stagelight. It’s the only iOS DAW I know of that allows precise off-grid note placement and editing.

@ksound : What does that mean exactly? Is it as in play without quantizing/free recoding? Not sure what you mean there.

What I'm talking about is more for editing drums/notes after recording. I've seen it referred to as groove shifting, microtiming, push/pull and more, but the premise is that instead of keeping notes locked to the grid, you can nudge individual or grouped notes a little before or after the grid. There are many programs that allow you to turn off the grid and manually slide items off the grid, but just a few that allow this to be done with precision. Stagelight has push/pull automation for drums and a 'Move' dial for note editing. iSpark has a concept similar to Stagelight's automation lane, and GrooveRider has a 'Time Shift' parameter in its edit section. The nice thing about these programs is you can get your note position back to where it started or quickly see amounts of groove to apply to other notes. Precise sloppiness is what I mean. It doesn't seem to be a big enough draw for most developers to include it, but I can't live without it.

If I'm not making sense, this thread may explain it better: https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/28172/the-problem-with-pattern-sequence-drum-machines-implicit-quantization/p1

Daft thread. Cool post! 😎

• @ksound said:

@Telstar5 said:

@ksound said:

Auria Pro has Groove templates where you can non-destructively push or pull any MIDI track. Not only push or pull but you can also create your own templates based on an existing track, or download them from the web. It's super-flexible.

• Ns2 at the Moment. It’s the only daw that syncs midi correctly over WiFi. I tried every daw.

• @colonelgeil said:
    Ns2 at the Moment. It’s the only daw that syncs midi correctly over WiFi. I tried every daw.

But you can use other start stop sync methods, no?

Patterning can start all and run Cubasis as a thru?

• NS2 and BM3 FTW!

• @RUST( i )K said:

@colonelgeil said:
    Ns2 at the Moment. It’s the only daw that syncs midi correctly over WiFi. I tried every daw.

But you can use other start stop sync methods, no?

Patterning can start all and run Cubasis as a thru?

Cubase can not sync to external clock. It can only be master. I use a drumbrute for that. Synchronising with midi link Sync works great.

• edited December 2018

My perspective on a iPad Pro 12.9

BM3- used to be my favorite. Now crashes often and has random CPU spike which lead to clicks and pops on larger projects. Has gotten worse with the last update.

Gadget- Also used to be a favorite.. maybe still is. Suffers from same cpu spikes, but can overcome some with large buffer. If Korg would allow Au3, this would be my DAW of choice for composing on the iPad

Cubasis- As a user of Cubase since the Atari ST days, I'll always have a soft spot for Steinberg DAWs. Rock solid, but interface was a goofy on iPad pro. Haven't played with it much since the last update.

Stagecraft- I'm liking this more and more each time I use it. Rock solid, no crashes and I don't get the random pop/clicks... yet. Still exploring this one...

So, Gadget, Cubasis, BM3 in that order with Stagecraft having the potential to bump one of them out of the top three.

Auria is just user interface hell for me. Performance is sluggish and things are just too small and cluttered. Hated it.

Garage Band I've never really tried. I always thought it was not a serious DAW. Maybe I should rethink that?

• @RUST( i )K said:

WHAT I WANT IS MODSTEP 2.0!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    MMMMMMMooooooooDDDDDDDSSSSTTTEEEEPPPPPP!

I want this too.
    The Dev never answer emails’ does someone has ever been in contact with them? And have any news?

• @osc101 said:
    My perspective on a iPad Pro 12.9

BM3- used to be my favorite. Now crashes often and has random CPU spike which lead to clicks and pops on larger projects. Has gotten worse with the last update.

Gadget- Also used to be a favorite.. maybe still is. Suffers from same cpu spikes, but can overcome some with large buffer. If Korg would allow Au3, this would be my DAW of choice for composing on the iPad

Cubasis- As a user of Cubase since the Atari ST days, I'll always have a soft spot for Steinberg DAWs. Rock solid, but interface was a goofy on iPad pro. Haven't played with it much since the last update.

Stagecraft- I'm liking this more and more each time I use it. Rock solid, no crashes and I don't get the random pop/clicks... yet. Still exploring this one...

So, Gadget, Cubasis, BM3 in that order with Stagecraft having the potential to bump one of them out of the top three.

Auria is just user interface hell for me. Performance is sluggish and things are just too small and cluttered. Hated it.

Garage Band I've never really tried. I always thought it was not a serious DAW. Maybe I should rethink that?

You mean Stagelight, not Stagecraft?

• edited December 2018

Out of the list provided...
    GarageBand all the way...Here’s why....
    it exports str8 to Logic Pro using airdrop
    It’s easy and fun to use
    The sounds are good enough
    The drum machine they just added is GREAT
    It’s free!

Stage light was aweful to me...it’s ugly...it’s not very powerful, and it really isn’t anything new...it just a different coat on the same old chap

Cubasis is capable but I just find it clunky to work with...I just never used it. Also for me export was hardly great.

Nanostudio is not a daw...when it is, then it will be...but today no matter how much the fanboys and gals want it to be the best thing since sliced bread...it simply is NOT A DAW and shouldn’t be on that list until June 2019 or later when it actually is...laughing out loud! Stop with the crazy stalker fan sheot already geese.

Why wasn’t Beatmaker3 on the list...?

You excluded Auria Pro from the best Daw list because it was overqualified? That doesn’t seem rational at all.

• @MrSmileZ said:
    Out of the list provided...
    GarageBand all the way...Here’s why....
    it exports str8 to Logic Pro using airdrop
    It’s easy and fun to use
    The sounds are good enough
    The drum machine they just added is GREAT
    It’s free!

Stage light was aweful to me...it’s ugly...it’s not very powerful, and it really isn’t anything new...it just a different coat on the same old chap

Cubasis is capable but I just find it clunky to work with...I just never used it. Also for me export was hardly great.

Nanostudio is not a daw...when it is, then it will be...but today no matter how much the fanboys and gals want it to be the best thing since sliced bread...it simply is NOT A DAW and shouldn’t be on that list until June 2019 or later when it actually is...laughing out loud! Stop with the crazy stalker fan sheot already geese.

Why wasn’t Beatmaker3 on the list...?

You excluded Auria Pro from the best Daw list because it was overqualified? That doesn’t seem rational at all.

There are a few decent DAW's that didn't make the cut because only the top 4 really matter anyway. Auria Pro doesn't seem to try hard to compete. When was the last time anyone called it the "Game Changer"? (Include links to back up your case).

• edited December 2018

At the risk of repeating myself , I didn’t include it because of the number of members who said they use it as a sort of Pro Tools.. Mainly for mastering

• edited December 2018

@MonzoPro said:

@Telstar5 said:
    Ok let’s say these 3 were the same price as desktop and you could only but one. Which one? And why? I have omitted Auria Pro because of the Fab Filter advantage and most people use it for mastering. It’s not really a midi DAW in the same way that these three are :Or better yet, rare them in order of your preference .
    The contenders

1-Nanostudio 2

2-Cubasis 2.7

3- Stagelight

4-Garageband

I don't have any of those on mine so can't really pick - though NS2 is winking at me for future spendage.

My problem with MIDI is CPU usage - having to have a load of apps loaded up to play it back just kills my Air2, so I tend to render the fat down to audio.

What I do use though is AUM, with a bunch of AU's that are triggered by a bunch of MIDI sequencers such as Riffer, Steppolyarp and Rozeta, so that would be my preference - even though it's recorded as audio.

I am having a very hard time putting into words where I am at with NS2 right now. It has only been out for two weeks and I cannot believe the things that just seemlessly and easily materialise out of it. Just dabbling and chilling, completely having a blast and when I go back to listen to it... I have little desire now to export these to anywhere for finishing. I am pretty sure most of my interests can just be done here now and this is turning out to be the hub and not the sketcher for me. Sure I may export a few midi and audio loops, bounce them / process them up etc with some NI on desktop etc but then I will just drop them back into NS2 on Slate pads. I am totaly satisfied with the ability to mix and automate smoothly and it doesn’t even have audio tracks or track freezing yet.

This really is a thing of beauty and no one will be surpassing it for a very very long time. No UI struggle or silliness going on here. You really should experience it.

• @Telstar5 said:
    At the risk of repeating myself , I didn’t include it become of the number of members who said they use it as a sort of Pro Tools.. Mainly for mastering

In my opinion, those members gave you a mistaken impression of AP's capabilities.

• Could be very right there, espeigel . Same can be said of Stagelight's “Sampleverse “ which is why I’ve included the video. No one seems to mentions it , yet it is at the heart of what makes SL so special. Right now my workflow is looking like SL into AP.

• edited December 2018

@AudioGus said:

@MonzoPro said:

@Telstar5 said:
    Ok let’s say these 3 were the same price as desktop and you could only but one. Which one? And why? I have omitted Auria Pro because of the Fab Filter advantage and most people use it for mastering. It’s not really a midi DAW in the same way that these three are :Or better yet, rare them in order of your preference .
    The contenders

1-Nanostudio 2

2-Cubasis 2.7

3- Stagelight

4-Garageband

I don't have any of those on mine so can't really pick - though NS2 is winking at me for future spendage.

My problem with MIDI is CPU usage - having to have a load of apps loaded up to play it back just kills my Air2, so I tend to render the fat down to audio.

What I do use though is AUM, with a bunch of AU's that are triggered by a bunch of MIDI sequencers such as Riffer, Steppolyarp and Rozeta, so that would be my preference - even though it's recorded as audio.

I am having a very hard time putting into words where I am at with NS2 right now. It has only been out for two weeks and I cannot believe the things that just seemlessly and easily materialise out of it. Just dabbling and chilling, completely having a blast and when I go back to listen to it... I have little desire now to export these to anywhere for finishing. I am pretty sure most of my interests can just be done here now and this is turning out to be the hub and not the sketcher for me. Sure I may export a few midi and audio loops, bounce them / process them up etc with some NI on desktop etc but then I will just drop them back into NS2 on Slate pads. I am totaly satisfied with the ability to mix and automate smoothly and it doesn’t even have audio tracks or track freezing yet.

This really is a thing of beauty and no one will be surpassing it for a very very long time. No UI struggle or silliness going on here. You really should experience it.

I had a little music session on the iPad last night. I booted up a few apps, and was suddenly blown away by the sheer range and quality of the apps I now have. I loaded them into AUM as normal, and recorded one of my obligatory jams.

It sounded alright, but I thought ‘I’m missing a trick here’, there’s potential for creating something much better, and more focused. It needs managing...mixing...editing...I’ve become stuck in my ways, a bit lazy.

I’ve been exporting bits to desktop, but really I need to sort out some proper DAW stuff on the pad. Auria’s still my favourite, and before AUM I recorded some epic stuff on there, but I really like the look of NS2’s MIDI editing features. My only worry is I’ll not be able to get my head around it - as with BM3, and not use it.

Definitely on the xmas list...

• edited December 2018

@Proppa said:
    Great post @AudioGus

@AudioGus : I saw that post earlier but just now noticed it was you.. I was surprised in that you seemed to be so much about BM3 and reticent about NS2.. That’s a HUGE vote for NS2 coming from you..
    I’m still on Stagelight.. Have you tried “Sampleverse “ within it?
    Please see my video posted below

• Funny, I’ve started with GarageBand, went to Cubasis, later to Auria Pro. Recently I did my first steps in Stagelight and Nanostudio 2.

After reading this thread I discovered GarageBand again and I love this little gem of Software... 😊👍

• @chandroji said:
    Funny, I’ve started with GarageBand, went to Cubasis, later to Auria Pro. Recently I did my first steps in Stagelight and Nanostudio 2.

After reading this thread I discovered GarageBand again and I love this little gem of Software... 😊👍

That’s what’s nagging me...am I missing a trick with GarageBand? I used that first on the iPad, but the lack of automation put me off, so I bought Auria. Enjoyed that, but then AUM came out and enticed me over for live jamming. Bought BM3 but it never clicked, along with a host of ‘beatmakers’, and I’m now cobbling everything together with AU’s and sequencers.

NS2 looks really good, but I don’t want to replicate what I might already have, or just buy another thing that sits unused in a folder. Dunno, I think I need to reinstall GB, and also spend a bit more time with Auria and that one, before shelling out on another DAW.

• Imho the 'big problem' with all that DAW use under IOS is mostly a mental thing.
    IOS is so much about easy access - instant gratification that the 'learn your tools' is overlooked or ignored completely.
    This doesn't only apply to know how to handle an app, but also to know (and be aware of) sound sources and how the DAW will mix it all together.