Audiobus: Use your music apps together.

What is Audiobus?Audiobus is an award-winning music app for iPhone and iPad which lets you use your other music apps together. Chain effects on your favourite synth, run the output of apps or Audio Units into an app like GarageBand or Loopy, or select a different audio interface output for each app. Route MIDI between apps — drive a synth from a MIDI sequencer, or add an arpeggiator to your MIDI keyboard — or sync with your external MIDI gear. And control your entire setup from a MIDI controller.

Download on the App Store

Audiobus is the app that makes the rest of your setup better.

Audiobus MIDI Learn is here!

edited December 2018 in General App Discussion

I have an exciting announcement for you: MIDI Learn for Audiobus is here!

With it, and your favourite MIDI controller, you can switch presets, adjust levels, toggle effects and adjust Audio Unit parameters, control a huge range of third-party app functionality via Connection Panel and Audiobus Remote Triggers (I think that part is particularly cool) -- and quite a lot more.

MIDI Learn is a $2.99 US In-App Purchase (to support more Audiobus development), and is available in the newly-released version 3.3. You can explore the whole thing before committing - it just won't respond to triggers you set up.

Here's the full list of MIDI Learn actions (so far!):

• Switch presets
  • Mute and unmute, solo and un-solo apps and Audio Units
  • Adjust gain, pan and effect dry/wet: continuously, by direct assignment of a particular value, or a nudge up and down by a particular value
  • Toggle effect bypass
  • Toggle session play/pause
  • Adjust session tempo
  • Adjust Audio Unit parameters
  • Switch to apps and Audio Units
  • Toggle play/pause for apps
  • Trigger any Connection Panel button
  • Trigger any Audiobus Remote button (an expanded set of third-party app functionality)
  • Switch Audio Unit factory presets
  • Send MIDI messages to Audio Units (PCs, CCs or Notes)

I hope it opens up more creative possibilities! Let me know what you think - and stay tuned for more updates.

Cheers,
Michael

Comments

• Awesome functionality for that price. Congrats!

• That’s awesome 👏🏾

• Sweet! Thanks!!!

• Congrats, this is a true game shifter. A paradigm changer. While the benefits to the live player are obvious, even just the ability to switch AB3 apps with a hardware controller instantaneously (and it is blink of an eye fast) is worth the asking price, IMHO.

Will the in app purchase cover future MIDI enhancements that you develop? Or are you thinking of a series of IAPs as you unfurl more goodies?

• very nice! thx a lot!

• Can a wireless QWERTY keyboard be used to send midi messages and control Audiobus MIDI IAP?

Can it be done perhaps with Midifire or something like that? Thanks! Great update

• @audiobussy said:
    Can a wireless QWERTY keyboard be used to send midi messages and control Audiobus MIDI IAP?

Can it be done perhaps with Midifire or something like that? Thanks! Great update

Sidecar from secret base design was designed to solve this use case exactly.

• All this functionality is incredible for live performance! The switch to apps feature is amazing and such a time saver. Will you ever add a midi assignment to switch between the midi/audio/mixer pages? Thanks for all your hard work! 😀

• F@#&ing brilliant!

• It is a beautiful thing, best 2.99 spent all week.

• Back of class boys need tutorial (as ever).

• edited December 2018

My god.
    This looks incredible.

Confession time, I had abandoned AB3 since I got AUM, mainly because of the lack of MIDI mapping which I need for my live setups, but this looks like a complete game changer, the nudge and assign value, program change, switch behaviour, im in complete awe.

I’m now regretting not taking my bluetooth MIDI controller with me today, as Im not going to have a chance to test this until Sunday.

EDIT. One niggle, the preset selector appears to only show factory presets in AUs, not user presets.

• Thanks @Michael really interesting update.

Can you point me in the right direction about how to get tap tempo working?

I tried to map a single square on my ROLI lightpad M to tap tempo but it only seems to CC 74 which I believe is the slide action. Is it possible to trigger this from a note on?

• Interesting> @Jocphone said:

Thanks @Michael really interesting update.

I tried to map a single square on my ROLI lightpad M to tap tempo but it only seems to CC 74 which I believe is the slide action. Is it possible to trigger this from a note on?

Ah, so the ROLI is sending out more MIDI messages after the one you want it to be triggered by, so it's clobbering the training system. Only solution is to wait for me to implement the manual trigger selection, I guess, unless you can stop the ROLI spamming out CC74

• @Michael said:
    Interesting> @Jocphone said:

Thanks @Michael really interesting update.

Ah, so the ROLI is sending out more MIDI messages after the one you want it to be triggered by, so it's clobbering the training system. Only solution is to wait for me to implement the manual trigger selection, I guess, unless you can stop the ROLI spamming out CC74

That makes sense and I have seen similar mentioned about the ROLI devices and other software with MIDI learn. No rush though, it’s holiday season and I have plenty to play with in the meantime.

• This update sounds cool! I can see the value for live performance but curious how people will use it for general production?

• Hi, I’ve purchased and am struggling to midi map parameter changes in Auv3 midi effects.
    Trying to map parameters in Rozeta Arp (clock div or octaves for example)...
    Click adjust parameter
    Click parameter... tap to select
    Then the list is blank :-(
    Is this because the developer needs to update the app to make these available inside Audiobus 3, or am I doing something wrong?
    Instructions or a tutorial would really help.

• Occasionally I get a fader that won’t budge past a certain point when mapped to a cc, usually far below the 0db level.

• New dude here, hope I can explain what I've found. I did the update, iap. Opened Audiobus 3 connected via MD-BT01 and selected that as the Midi Sender from the lower left hand corner Midi box. Then selected Ravenscroft AU as Midi Receiver from same screen. For the first time I can play Ravenscroft absolutely crackle free. No Dubstation 2 remedy involved. Audiobus set to 256 frames. Hope someone understands and interprets what I've said. Thanks to all the contributors here you've all been a great help. I'm learning. Slowly.

iPad Air 2 2017
    32gb. 10gb used
    iOS 11.2.5

• Are there any tricks or shortcuts now to set up a MIDI controller with AB3 and Loopy to make a complete automated looping workstation? Does that whole configuration get saved as a saved preset with MIDI bindings also to export it out ?

• @thepinkelefant said:
    Are there any tricks or shortcuts now to set up a MIDI controller with AB3 and Loopy to make a complete automated looping workstation? Does that whole configuration get saved as a saved preset with MIDI bindings also to export it out ?

Are you asking if the loopy midi bindings are saved in the AB3 preset?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@thepinkelefant said:
    Are there any tricks or shortcuts now to set up a MIDI controller with AB3 and Loopy to make a complete automated looping workstation? Does that whole configuration get saved as a saved preset with MIDI bindings also to export it out ?

Well, that in addition to the MIDI settings for AB3 also. With all the MIDI enhancements in AB3 now, I wanted to just map the same single controller to Loopy also and the remaining midi controls to AB3 for controlling input ( quantiloop and ToneStack in my case for guitar) and some FX also . I guess I can fiddle around and find out now 😉

• @no1normal said:
    Is this because the developer needs to update the app to make these available inside Audiobus 3, or am I doing something wrong?
    Instructions or a tutorial would really help.

Yep, they need to be provided by the developer.
    Some of the Rozeta apps have MIDI controls (PC/CC), and you can map a trigger to send a MIDI CC, PC or note to activate those; that's how I did the setup for the promo video.

• @thepinkelefant said:

@lukesleepwalker said:

@thepinkelefant said:

Well, that in addition to the MIDI settings for AB3 also. With all the MIDI enhancements in AB3 now, I wanted to just map the same single controller to Loopy also and the remaining midi controls to AB3 for controlling input ( quantiloop and ToneStack in my case for guitar) and some FX also . I guess I can fiddle around and find out now 😉

Loopy's MIDI setup is totally separate from Audiobus', so I'm afraid you'll need to set them up separately. Or, you could map to the remote triggers and do it all within AB, but it depends how sophisticated you need your Loopy setup.

• @girlvsworld said:
    Occasionally I get a fader that won’t budge past a certain point when mapped to a cc, usually far below the 0db level.

Generally that would happen if your range is less than 0 - 127 but you say occasionally so can't think of anything other than something wrong with the controller or ab3 itself. Try that same control with other software and see if that works.

• @supadom said:

@girlvsworld said:
    Occasionally I get a fader that won’t budge past a certain point when mapped to a cc, usually far below the 0db level.

Generally that would happen if your range is less than 0 - 127 but you say occasionally so can't think of anything other than something wrong with the controller or ab3 itself. Try that same control with other software and see if that works.

Thanks, I will do some tests!

• edited December 2018

This is so cool!!! Huge game changer for me.

I've done a lot of MIDI mapping/routing via MidiFlow. When I implement that into AudioBus, I imagine it will be a bit difficult to keep track of because when you assign a CC value (let's say to switch to an AU), it will only show the CC value you assigned and not what channel or what device/Virtual MIDI input it is associated with.

But I think I've noticed that the new MIDI features are able to distinguish CC messages among different devices and channels. Is that right? (so if CC46 on channel 1 is assigned to switch to an AU, CC46 on channel 2 will not, or the same but via different hardware)

I've been testing this out in controlled scenarios with success, but I'm not sure yet of how consistent it will be when I start throwing multiple Viritual MIDI inputs at it.

When adding a new assignment, does the Virtual MIDI input that's already been assigned to an AU in the MIDI tab always take precedence over the hardware's MIDI messages (provided the hardware is not assigned to the AU as a MIDI input)?

I have spent all weekend testing this out. It is just mindblowingly cool. This is huge. Thanks so much!!!

• @cnsg_music said:

Great!

But I think I've noticed that the new MIDI features are able to distinguish CC messages among different devices and channels. Is that right? (so if CC46 on channel 1 is assigned to switch to an AU, CC46 on channel 2 will not, or the same but via different hardware)

Yup: each binding takes into account the device, the channel and the actual message. It just only shows the latter for brevity. This will be in the manual once I've updated it!

When adding a new assignment, does the Virtual MIDI input that's already been assigned to an AU in the MIDI tab always take precedence over the hardware's MIDI messages (provided the hardware is not assigned to the AU as a MIDI input)?

Not quite sure what you meant by precedence there; would you mind giving an example?

• @Michael said:

@cnsg_music said:

Great!

Yup: each binding takes into account the device, the channel and the actual message. It just only shows the latter for brevity. This will be in the manual once I've updated it!

Not quite sure what you meant by precedence there; would you mind giving an example?

This is really, really great news!

So, to clarify, does assigning a virtual MIDI input in the MIDI tab/screen to an AU force that AU to listen to that input over what MIDI the hardware may be sending?

I think the answer is yes, but here's a simple example to be clear:

My device is sending CC45 but I have remapped it via MidiFlow to send CC46 on a virutal input I have named "Virtual Port2" when I have CC47 held (in MidiFlow this is the IAP for 'Conditions'.)

So in Audiobus's MIDI tab, I assign "Virtual Port2" to be the MIDI source for an AU. Now when I go to the AU to assign a MIDI function (switching, adjusting parameter, etc), will the AU listen to CC46 being transmitted via "Virtual Port2" (when the condition is met, i.e. CC47 is held) over the CC45 my hardware is simultaneously sending? Does having assigned "Virtual Port2" as the MIDI input make this the case?

I just need to make sure this is the method by which it listens for MIDI assignments before I start going nuts with my dozen+ MIDI virtual outputs in MidiFlow. :smiley:

• Ah okay. Firstly: any reason why the built in hold function doesn't suffice?

To answer your question though, it's really just a matter of what you bind to. If you're binding an action to the midiflow port, that's what will be triggered. Bindings take into account the source, the channel and the message, so it's your choice. Does that answer your question?